daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #381
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
After you've called all MIBC towers 'filler scrapers', it is a real pleasure to call Freedom Tower a filler tower that it is - New York has shown time and again it can do much better at modern architecture (Beekman here is a perfect example). FT is the weakest design at new WTC (2WTC & 3WTC pwn it effortlessly), and its UFO-type top is an eyesore (just spire would look way more organic). The only supertall it can compete in terms of design is Taipei 101 with a fair chance of Taipei winning.

Though I have no doubts FT will get to the finals of next World Cup.
Actually I think you'll find I specifically called the CoC a filler scraper, and even that is not to say I don't like it. It's just my least favourite of the project. Mercury is very nice, Federation will look excellent when complete and I am seriously annoyed that the Russia Tower will never be built as that was really a monolithic beauty.

You can say that about OWTC if you like, I disagree, but that's your opinion. I really can't stand 2 and 3 World Trade, and that's my opinion. I would rather the UFO, as you say, was not atop OWTC, and I'd prefer there to be a little tapering before the spire, but there we go, this is what we have, and I'm quite happy with it. I find OWTC to be a far sleeker beast than Taipei 101, but again, that's just my opinion.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #382
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Freedom Tower original?
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=667

Its been built since 2008. It might not be famous, but it does exist

Anyways, its been interesting to see what responses people have given to support their choice

I'm looking forward to the second time and third time to see how the results will turn out, since its a 'forum' vote rather than just thread votes
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #383
Bricken Ridge

Likes (Received): 15

c'mon guys. i think the title of this thread says it all: Supertall World Cup. it's just a game. just for fun. ultimately, it's still the building who gets the most number of visitors that wins. i guess we all know the answer.
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #384
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
Freedom Tower original?
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=667

Its been built since 2008. It might not be famous, but it does exist

Anyways, its been interesting to see what responses people have given to support their choice

I'm looking forward to the second time and third time to see how the results will turn out, since its a 'forum' vote rather than just thread votes
Well I'm not saying it's wholly original, just not exactly derivative. Firstly, that building is curved, so it's not the same, and secondly, the plans for OWTC must go back to I reckon 2004, so it was probably devised before that one. Just saying.
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #385
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
i cares,ctbuh people also care,some professional judge also care,architecture lover care.and u still dont care,u know why?because some american are so ego with their stuff.
i agree..they are just completely out of control.
If the ESB was clad in glass, we know it would be in your semi-finals. And just for reference, on the esb, its not a spire, it was/is an antennae
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #386
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzato View Post
i agree..they are just completely out of control.
No, it's simply because Americans love them.

There are lots of Americans on this place, it's not surprising that a large portion of the population defend against it.
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #387
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkiller123 View Post
No, it's simply because Americans love them.

There are lots of Americans on this place, it's not surprising that a large portion of the population defend against it.
I was just bein sarcastic. Im one of those americans.
Maybe when people get into architecture nowadays they overlook the 80-90 year old gems that had to get it done without a shiny glass facade
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #388
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

top4 will be-
burj khalifa
china bank tower
petronas twin tower
guangzhou tower

top2 will be-
burj khalifa
petronas twin tower

winner-
very hard to choose!
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #389
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
top4 will be-
burj khalifa
china bank tower
petronas twin tower
guangzhou tower

top2 will be-
burj khalifa
petronas twin tower

winner-
very hard to choose!
I fear you could be right. I hope not. I would vote for any of the others over that bloody spike in the desert.

I'd rather have the Chrysler, the ESB, 2IFC and BOC as the top 4, but people have no taste, so I doubt that'll happen.
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #390
guy4versa4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
I fear you could be right. I hope not. I would vote for any of the others over that bloody spike in the desert.

I'd rather have the Chrysler, the ESB, 2IFC and BOC as the top 4, but people have no taste, so I doubt that'll happen.
so u want to say more then 800 people have no taste..and only u have a great taste?
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #391
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:

So you are saying that if all those people who until finals voted for esb and chrysler will vote for the burj in the final have no taste? I agreed with you when you have arguing why esb is better than coc, and I will vote esb over Guangzhou IFC. But if you say burj is nothing but tasteless spike in the desert now you are the one with no taste, really.

Actually to be honest esb and burj share many similarities. They both have wide podium, they both tapers towards the top, they have spire/antenna. And beyond architecture, they both are record breakers, and they both were challenging to construct in their times. Of course they have quite different styles as we speak about cladding but thats quite natural since they are from totally different eras and locations. The only (very) significant difference is that burj is more than twice as tall as esb and that gives it full right to win the contest. Because height obviously is one of the important factors for skyscrapers and when two towers are equally good taking all other aspects the height is the one giving one advantage over another.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #392
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
So you are saying that if all those people who until finals voted for esb and chrysler will vote for the burj in the final have no taste? I agreed with you when you have arguing why esb is better than coc, and I will vote esb over Guangzhou IFC. But if you say burj is nothing but tasteless spike in the desert now you are the one with no taste, really.

Actually to be honest esb and burj share many similarities. They both have wide podium, they both tapers towards the top, they have spire/antenna. And beyond architecture, they both are record breakers, and they both were challenging to construct in their times. Of course they have quite different styles as we speak about cladding but thats quite natural since they are from totally different eras and locations. The only (very) significant difference is that burj is more than twice as tall as esb and that gives it full right to win the contest. Because height obviously is one of the important factors for skyscrapers and when two towers are equally good taking all other aspects the height is the one giving one advantage over another.
I was joking obviously. Everyone has their opinion, but I will be sad if, but more likely when, the Burj wins.

It does have a lot in common with the ESB, but I just can't stand this whole 'Dubai thing'. They're building towers for almost no reason other than to get press. You could say NYC did the same in the early 20th century, the difference obviously being that NYC was one of the largest cities in the world then, and wasn't in the middle of a desert. I think the Burj would have been better if it were somewhere around 650m. I don't mean lop the top off, just squash the whole tower a bit. It just really doesn't fit with it's surroundings. If it had some 200m-300m really nice towers around it, it would really lift it for me. As it is, yeah, it does strike mean as just a spike in the desert.
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #393
patrykus

Quote:
It does have a lot in common with the ESB, but I just can't stand this whole 'Dubai thing'. They're building towers for almost no reason other than to get press.
I guess you explained it enough. Its not the problem with the tower, but your personal problem with the dubai itself. Get over it, and move on, because this it the towers we are choosing here, not the cities. While I wouldn't by any means vote dubai as the best city in the world, I will vote burj as the best tower
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #394
ddss

Likes (Received): 54

Burj going to take it
ddss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #395
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I guess you explained it enough. Its not the problem with the tower, but your personal problem with the dubai itself. Get over it, and move on, because this it the towers we are choosing here, not the cities. While I wouldn't by any means vote dubai as the best city in the world, I will vote burj as the best tower
There is no need for me to 'get over it'. If it was an all encompassing hatred which was ruining my life, then ya, it would be a good idea to calm down and 'get over it', but as it's just a mild dislike, which is only relevant in a few situations, I'll continue to be just rather bored by Dubai. I don't dislike the Burj because it is in Dubai, I just don't like it.
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #396
guy4versa4
BANNED

so u are the one with zero taste..
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #397
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
so u are the one with zero taste..
I said it was a joke, but ok man. That's fine if you think that.
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #398
patrykus

Quote:
There is no need for me to 'get over it'. If it was an all encompassing hatred which was ruining my life, then ya, it would be a good idea to calm down and 'get over it', but as it's just a mild dislike, which is only relevant in a few situations, I'll continue to be just rather bored by Dubai. I don't dislike the Burj because it is in Dubai, I just don't like it.
fair enough
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; June 20th, 2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old June 20th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #399
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

BK, BoC, Sears, Chrysler and ESB could all be deserving of first place, and I would be happy with any one.
Old June 20th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #400
guy4versa4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
BK, BoC, Sears, Chrysler and ESB could all be deserving of first place, and I would be happy with any one.
bk and Boc is ok,sears,chrysler and esb no...-just my opinion