daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #401
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
bk and Boc is ok,sears,chrysler and esb no...-just my opinion
BK Ok... Boc and Sears good... Chrysler stunning and empire state building has no words to describe it that is how amazing it is...Just my opinion

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #402
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 3995

Is there a button to vote against them all? I'd be happy to boot all of the monstrosities right out of the contest
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #403
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
BK, BoC, Sears, Chrysler and ESB could all be deserving of first place, and I would be happy with any one.
hehe people keep forgetting the new name of the place :p It reminds me of a friend, in a casual conversation with others, that was dumbed out as he didn't realize we were talking about that Chicagoan tower when we were speaking of Willis Tower.
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:02 AM   #404
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
hehe people keep forgetting the new name of the place :p It reminds me of a friend, in a casual conversation with others, that was dumbed out as he didn't realize we were talking about that Chicagoan tower when we were speaking of Willis Tower.
I don't think it's a case of forgetting. I think the vast majority of people, me included, really can't stand the name change. It will always be the Sears Tower. The Willis Building is a nice stumpy thing next to Lloyds in London.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:16 AM   #405
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Yep, I'm well aware of that tragic new name, and it will always be Sears to me.
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:19 AM   #406
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

People vote for it is a classic - fine. But people bote for willis because it is a classic??

Also comments like such are unbelievable:

Quote:
I'm so sorry to find out that size DOES matter (in this tournament, al least)
Quote:
Willis tower is a nicer building. Burj Khalifa is tacky, it reminds me of the worst of Donald Trump.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:45 AM   #407
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
People vote for it is a classic - fine. But people bote for willis because it is a classic??

Also comments like such are unbelievable:
I can't tell you why others vote for Sears Tower, but I voted for it because it is a strong, imposing building with a simple and well executed design which entirely fits it's setting.

The Burj Khalifa on the other hand is a nice and shiny, but far too tall spike in the desert which does not fit it's setting and who's purpose is almost entirely to get it's city noticed.
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:15 AM   #408
kix111

Why would you even consider how well the tower fits into the environment? It should makes no difference as to whether Burj is located in Dubai or in Chicago. We are voting for the tower alone, hence a supertall world cup, simple as that.
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:24 AM   #409
Sagaris

Likes (Received): 51

Sears tower is the most overrated piece of architecture i've ever come across. It's a big black box with very simple setbacks. A two year old could have designed it. It looks too fat at the bottom and too thin at the top from too many angles. My opinion is that it's not a very good example of architecture.
Sagaris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:32 AM   #410
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Why would you even consider how well the tower fits into the environment? It should makes no difference as to whether Burj is located in Dubai or in Chicago. We are voting for the tower alone, hence a supertall world cup, simple as that.
It has to come into it. You can't ignore it's location. When designing a building, the architect has to take the surroundings into account, and therefore when judging the design of that building, we must base our judgement on how well we feel it meets the criteria that we know of.

You simply cannot ignore the context in which a building is set. It is an integral part of what that building is. It is tied to it's location. A building lives or dies by how well it fits in. Regardless of how nice a tower is, if you plonk it down in a place where it is not welcome or where is does not fit well, everyone will hate it, regardless of architectural merit.

Nowhere does it say that this competition has to be based solely on architectural merit, and quite frankly, no competition like this can ever be objectively judged as you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagaris View Post
Sears tower is the most overrated piece of architecture i've ever come across. It's a big black box with very simple setbacks. A two year old could have designed it. It looks too fat at the bottom and too thin at the top from too many angles. My opinion is that it's not a very good example of architecture.
And you are entitled to think that. I don't think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but I like it a lot. I think it may be a tad overrated, but for me, it slaughters the Burj.
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:54 AM   #411
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
The Burj Khalifa on the other hand is a nice and shiny, but far too tall spike in the desert which does not fit it's setting and who's purpose is almost entirely to get it's city noticed.
First of, it doesn't have actual surroundings, thats why its designed as a huge spire. It wouldn't fit cities like shicago surrounded by other boxy towers, but actually because of its design it fits very well dubais "lack of neighborhood".

Second, yes its purpose is solely to gain worlds attention, why some people have problem with that I don't get... I think the design satisfy that purpose of the building completely as well.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:04 AM   #412
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
First of, it doesn't have actual surroundings, thats why its designed as a huge spire. It wouldn't fit cities like shicago surrounded by other boxy towers, but actually because of its design it fits very well dubais "lack of neighborhood".

Second, yes its purpose is solely to gain worlds attention, why some people have problem with that I don't get... I think the design satisfy that purpose of the building completely as well.
It is a physical impossibility not to have surroundings. Everything is surrounded by something. If you mean, it isn't surrounded by buildings, well of course, but the Burj is surrounded by desert, and that still needs to be taken into account and it looks quite incongruous against the vast expanse of sand.

I agree that is has entirely filled it's purpose of getting attention.
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:05 AM   #413
kix111

In another word you are saying Dubai only deserves pyramids.

Quote:
It has to come into it. You can't ignore it's location. When designing a building, the architect has to take the surroundings into account, and therefore when judging the design of that building, we must base our judgement on how well we feel it meets the criteria that we know of.

You simply cannot ignore the context in which a building is set. It is an integral part of what that building is. It is tied to it's location. A building lives or dies by how well it fits in. Regardless of how nice a tower is, if you plonk it down in a place where it is not welcome or where is does not fit well, everyone will hate it, regardless of architectural merit.

Nowhere does it say that this competition has to be based solely on architectural merit, and quite frankly, no competition like this can ever be objectively judged as you want.
Architects may take into account the surrounding when designing a building as a basis of the design, but it is not for you to judge in this tournament. You are to judge the overall design.

The factor of surrounding environment in such a tournament is so minimal it is immaterial. Weighing such factor as the final basis of one's decision is making the decision biased - Burj Khalifa alone is a more beautiful tower, too bad it is in a desert because desert dont deserve such beautiful towers, hence i choose Willis. Ridiculous.
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:15 AM   #414
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
It is a physical impossibility not to have surroundings. Everything is surrounded by something. If you mean, it isn't surrounded by buildings, well of course, but the Burj is surrounded by desert, and that still needs to be taken into account and it looks quite incongruous against the vast expanse of sand.
Fact: Arabs wanted to build the tallest tower in dubai, and dubai happen to be on the desert. So what in your opinion fits the desert? What they should have chosen? A 800m boxy tower? Or maybe o pencil like? I think the best way to build hiper-tall tower on empty space is to have large podium and make it tapering towards the top, which they exactly did with the burj and which decrease the need of surrounding towers.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:17 AM   #415
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
In another word you are saying Dubai only deserves pyramids.

Architects may take into account the surrounding when designing a building as a basis of the design, but it is not for you to judge in this tournament. You are to judge the overall design.

The factor of surrounding environment in such a tournament is so minimal it is immaterial. Weighing such factor as the final basis of one's decision is making the decision biased - Burj Khalifa alone is a more beautiful tower, too bad it is in a desert because desert dont deserve such beautiful towers, hence i choose Willis. Ridiculous.
It's not the final basis, it's just something you must consider. Also, there are now lots of skyscrapers in Dubai, and if the Burj was a bit shorter and was actually situated amongst some other towers it'd be fine, but it's height combined with it being kinda out on it's own makes it less appealing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Fact: Arabs wanted to build the tallest tower in dubai, and dubai happen to be on the desert. So what in your opinion fits the desert? What they should have chosen? A 800m boxy tower? Or maybe o pencil like? I think the best way to build hiper-tall tower on empty space is to have large podium and make it tapering towards the top, which they exactly did with the burj and which decrease the need of surrounding towers.
Well if I had the decision I would have just built a 650m tower, which still woulda got all titles, and therefore attention, which would need a smaller podium, which would taper less (it tapers so much the upper levels can have so little space), and I'd have put it a little closer to other towers.

Why are you guys getting bent out of shape by my opinion? The Burj is kicking Sears' ass. More people share your view than mine, so be happy.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; June 21st, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:48 AM   #416
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Is Bruce.Tenmile the new Onn?

If its not American, its flawed!!!!!

I've given up along time ago people
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM   #417
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
Is Bruce.Tenmile the new Onn?

If its not American, its flawed!!!!!

I've given up along time ago people
Oh that's right. I backed two US scrapers against two others. Of course, I suspect you haven't read my posts where I go on about 2IFC being the best modern skyscraper. Best not to cloud things with the facts.
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:52 PM   #418
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

oh dear, i fear BOC will lose against chrysler. but at least chrysler is a worthy opponent, so no hard feelings here.
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:58 PM   #419
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
oh dear, i fear BOC will lose against chrysler. but at least chrysler is a worthy opponent, so no hard feelings here.
Yeah, I'd rather they both went through to the semis, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:51 PM   #420
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6826

my votes (x) and prediction (+)

Burj Khalifa (+) vs Willis Tower (x)
Chrysler (+,x) vs Bank of China
Two IFC (x) vs Petronas (+)
Guangzhou IFC vs Empire State Building (+) won't vote

Burj Khalifa (+) vs Chrysler
Petronas vs Empire State Building (+)

Burj Khalifa (+) vs Empire State Building

Won't vote in semi final and final as there were much better contenders, like SWFC or ICC.