daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #461
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8235

damn this building is beautiful, i am soo sad that the chow tai fook center is onhold with the park in the middle its one iconic place
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #462
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4296

My prediction

Final Round
Petronas Towers vs Burj Khalifa

Day Pic

by worldiscover

by Ted Liptak

Night Pic
image hosted on flickr

by mikecruz216

Last edited by World 2 World; June 24th, 2011 at 08:07 AM.
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #463
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
The question was rhetorical as no other criterion had been/need be established. This web site has a definition for what it calls "supertall."
This is merely a play to your emphasis on height. Any such pre-packaged diagram or presnetation would still fail to fully represent each structure depending on the criterion, hence the emphasis for the jurors to go forth and learn what they need to learn about each project.
Fair enough. Off the cuff - The Burj is supremely innovative as a feat of engineering but average in its architectural styling. There is little that is culturally or design-wise groundbreaking as a tower. Freed from a more urban setting and given the overall footprint, the designers amiably emphasized the ambition of wanting to be "The Tallest," and as such struck a fair balance between classic skyscraper form and it's aspirations for the site. From ground level the setbacks among the varying levels are over-emphasized on purpose to increase the effect of the perspective upward, which appears very dynamic.

The Burj is somewhat disadvantaged, however, because the context is relatively undefined. (Some have argued they played it too safe.) The aerial elements, such as the spire and crown for each ledge, are average but, given the overall form, do display a nice efficiency. Perhaps the architect was not wanting to take away from the visual impact of the buildings height, but there are few/no elements giving the viewer pause within the base of the structure, a shortcoming for something so difficult to view in a single frame. The base, meanwhile, plays out as a generic resort theme for the particular location. Granted, perhaps they were limited by budget, codes, developer's wishes, but there is little at the pedestrian level that equals the structure's impact on the skyline. Which leaves one to ask: Could this form work if it was more common in height?

Comparatively, the Chrysler came about under decidedly different circumstances and for a different purpose. Despite competing with the ESB for being the tallest the form is decidedly more pure: They weren't amending the structure simply because their neighbors added a spire. The structure features only modest innovations for the time, mostly in refinements of the framing and cladding to include (supposedly) more efficient and aesthetically pleasing windows while still maintaining the visual weight of its NYC predecessors.

The form is basic, proportioned with Sullivan-esque ideals and then amended to take on the art deco stylings and ornamentation. Some would argue those elements are unnecessary, but clearly they added to the building's iconography and remained true to the decoration present throughout the form. The spire also strikes a fine accord between unique and timely (rounded crown, triangular windows) but linked with classic form (steeple tower). It could be said this building truly started the trend of a business wanting to make their brand a recognizable image on the skyline, and did so without needing neon letters like today.

The Chrysler also marked a new level of office efficiency for such structures, due in part to the design. Unlike the ESB and it's efforts to be more "all things to all people," the Chrysler was being a simple office structure and little more.

That's what I can ponder in ten minutes.

- - - -

This isn't to say any of these structures are bad or that I don't like them, and having struggled to sustain an architectural career I appreciate any of these things that the architect was able to see come to fruition. Especially in a day and age where they have more and more constraints on their practice. But if we're basing this stuff on just height then we don't need to have a poll or a rankings, we simply need a measuring stick and to list them from tallest to shortest.
I come here for the discourse and hope to learn from others each and every time. If all people are going to post is "This building sucks!" then why bother?
I laughed.. at how hard you are trying in terms of language and how serious you are.. you even mentioned juror??/ lololol
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #464
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
I laughed.. at how hard you are trying in terms of language and how serious you are.. you even mentioned juror??/ lololol
your best response is "lololol"?
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #465
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

I don't like how the pictures that they use for the supertall tournament aren't really good.

I am surprised that GIFC is so close to ESB. I have to admit that both pics of the two sup talls are not an accurate representation of how they truly look.

The chinese waking up? I truly doubt it. If that was the case, then SWFC and Jin Mao should have gotten through. Both look amazing compared to GIFC and ESB.

I predict and hope that Petronas wins. Its a truly iconic supertall for its city. GIFC is kind of iconic for the new CBD, but not the same way as Petronas. When you look at the skyline that these towers belong to, prob only Burj and Petronas truly 'define' the skyline.
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #466
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
If there was a second tallest say 100m short of Burj going against Burj, i would reconsider many other things as the difference in height is not so significant that could override other factors.
As far as height goes though the Burj's habitable floors arent that much taller than a few other supertalls. Is it really that much of a leap foreward technically or rather just a more concerted effort to build the tallest building?
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #467
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
As far as height goes though the Burj's habitable floors arent that much taller than a few other supertalls. Is it really that much of a leap foreward technically or rather just a more concerted effort to build the tallest building?
I don't think it's much of a leap forward really, and I think you're probably right about the highest habitable floors.

Oh and also, I've flip-flopped back, and after seeing that seriously ugly base shot of the Burj, I've re-realised how cheap it looks, so no votes from me. Not that it'll matter..
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #468
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2661

Funny things happening at the World Cup all of a sudden.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #469
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Dam should have voted for Guangzhou IFC instead..
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #470
Polity

Likes (Received): 5

Hmmm, just wondering: will there be something like a new random 1on1 every day? (after the worldcup ends). I would love to see matches like BOC vs IFC, Jin Mao VS SWFC etc
Polity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #471
ben_23
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Best
Petronas
Burj
Gifc
2Ifc
Boc
Willis
Chrysler
Esb
Worst
ben_23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #472
ben_23
BANNED

Nice suggestion polity..hopefully after this,the competition will divide by each county..it will make voters vote based on architecture andnot nationalisme
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #473
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_23 View Post
Nice suggestion polity..hopefully after this,the competition will divide by each county..it will make voters vote based on architecture andnot nationalisme
That would be a great idea. Is that you admitting that has been a problem?
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #474
ben_23
BANNED

Yes,especially voters who vote willis, chrysler and esb..they just vote based on nationalism!
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #475
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Yes,especially voters who vote willis, chrysler and esb..they just vote based on nationalism!
I think it's you who can't accept that those towers are loved for their architectural merit. You may not like them,but others do.

I accept entirely that people like the GIFC, I certainly like it. I just object when you can see clearly in the comments that many people would vote for a giant turd in a field if it was in their country. I'm sure, in fact I know there are people in the US who would do that, BUT, there is no proof of it.
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #476
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8235

petronas is my favorite building ever and burj khalifa earns to be this far for its amazing height and style, too. so im quite happy when those will be the final :P
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #477
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
so..... anyone who votes for an american tower is voting out of nationalism, while those who vote for the chinese towers are doing it based on merit???
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #478
eyjafjallajokulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post

I accept entirely that people like the GIFC, I certainly like it. I just object when you can see clearly in the comments that many people would vote for a giant turd in a field if it was in their country. I'm sure, in fact I know there are people in the US who would do that, BUT, there is no proof of it.

I have said the same thing in the SWFC vs CB match earlier. Some ppl do vote base on location and history!! That is their preference and I am totally don't agree with that. But in this world cup, There is no rule on ppl preference, hence, Please stop crying all over the place and complain nationalism when the building of your preference didnt get the vote as you expected. Just get over it, PLease?
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #479
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Also, it looks like there is a miscount in the GIFC/ESB match. GIFC is winning, but ESB looks like it has more votes in the user voted section. Maybe lot of the people who voted for GIFC have short user names, but you never know.
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #480
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjafjallajokulls View Post
I have said the same thing in the SWFC vs CB match earlier. Some ppl do vote base on location and history!! That is their preference and I am totally don't agree with that. But in this world cup, There is no rule on ppl preference, hence, Please stop crying all over the place and complain nationalism when the building of your preference didnt get the vote as you expected. Just get over it, PLease?
Well just so long as someone like you don't rejoice when their favourite wins, that's fine. You will be happy, and you will rejoice, just as I would. We are all part of one big failure of a competition.