daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #521
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by [{x}] View Post

EDIT: just noticed that all these suspicious usernames are behind the jump in Willis Tower vs. Burj. So it's probably not Chinese nationalists, just a loser with too much time on his/her hands.
Those "suspicious" usernames also appear on Willis Tower, so now they are "US nationalists?"

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #522
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

I just had a look through the Chinese equivalent of SSC and found a thread regarding this world cup within which there was a post saying "the foreigners have already found the Chinese faking the polls". The thread overall was not very popular and only has a dozen of posts, so the faking is probably only generated by one guy.

Therefore i think voting on the Willis may have just been a smoke bomb. But in the end we must see the IP before anything can be concluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
kix, with all due respect, your making fool of yourself..
But you know.. you are making yourself a hero by saying this.. really.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #523
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
As far as height goes though the Burj's habitable floors arent that much taller than a few other supertalls. Is it really that much of a leap foreward technically or rather just a more concerted effort to build the tallest building?
Hi More.

The BK's highest tenant level (and officially highest occupied level) is 154 at 584.5 meters. Substantially higher than the rest of the pack's official height to tip.

Of course it's an effort to build the tallest.
It is a leap forward in engineering feats giving us the tallest manmade structure in history:
- by a large margin.
- and is freestanding.

It is also another in a long list of spectacular designs by the worlds foremost architect of supertalls.

Ray.
Old June 25th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #524
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
I just had a look through the Chinese equivalent of SSC and found a thread regarding this world cup within which there was a post saying "the foreigners have already found the Chinese faking the polls". The thread overall was not very popular and only has a dozen of posts, so the faking is probably only generated by one guy.

Therefore i think voting on the Willis may have just been a smoke bomb. But in the end we must see the IP before anything can be concluded.
I don't think that specific person faked the poll. I think she's just telling them what's going on in this thread.
Old June 25th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #525
kix111

Yea of course i believe you saw that thread too.
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #526
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Hi More.

The BK's highest tenant level (and officially highest occupied level) is 154 at 584.5 meters. Substantially higher than the rest of the pack's official height to tip.

Of course it's an effort to build the tallest.
It is a leap forward in engineering feats giving us the tallest manmade structure in history:
- by a large margin.
- and is freestanding.

It is also another in a long list of spectacular designs by the worlds foremost architect of supertalls.

Ray.
I think really, the Burj just used the same techniques as most buildings. It wasn't inhibited by severe regulation, I don't believe they have strict earthquake codes, so they were just able to use the same techniques that everyone else has used for, lets say the last 10 years, and merely built higher.

If anyone knows for sure, that the Burj uses construction methods that NO other buildings use, do share.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #527
kix111

Pumping concrete to such a height was very challenging. However i heard the Chinese company now came up with a more advanced way of pumping concrete? Not sure if they gonna apply it on Shanghai Tower.
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #528
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
If anyone knows for sure, that the Burj uses construction methods that NO other buildings use, do share.
I'm not 100% sure if they were first but they did use carbon fiber to strengthen the concrete used in lower parts.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #529
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I'm not 100% sure if they were first but they did use carbon fiber to strengthen the concrete used in lower parts.
Well that'd be pretty cool. I would have thought it'd make more sense to use it in the upper parts as it's lighter, but ok. If that's true, that's interesting.
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #530
patrykus

I guess it was less about the weight and more about giving more strength to the parts of the tower most exposed to extreme pressure.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old June 25th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #531
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Hi More.

Of course it's an effort to build the tallest.It is a leap forward in engineering feats giving us the tallest manmade structure in history:
- by a large margin.
- and is freestanding.

Ray.
I'd say its more of an effort to "build the tallest" than most other recent supertalls though and as a result I don't think it represents the giant move forward technically that its height suggests.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #532
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
I'd say its more of an effort to "build the tallest" than most other recent supertalls though and as a result I don't think it represents the giant move forward technically that its height suggests.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. Whilst it's a nice enough design, I'm not sure how much they actually sought to make it a really state of the art building. They just focused on getting the World's Tallest title.
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #533
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
i believe they did take in the fact that earthquakes could harm it also its base is in sand so they used alot more pillar things idk the name of them :S than normal also because sand caves in they developed a kind of gelatin to separate it long enough. so there was alot of unique things put into the construction of the burj
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #534
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Yeah, I'd agree with that. Whilst it's a nice enough design, I'm not sure how much they actually sought to make it a really state of the art building. They just focused on getting the World's Tallest title.
Yup, Khalifa is not a building for satisfying demand, it's a trophy.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 01:53 AM   #535
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
I think really, the Burj just used the same techniques as most buildings. It wasn't inhibited by severe regulation, I don't believe they have strict earthquake codes, so they were just able to use the same techniques that everyone else has used for, lets say the last 10 years, and merely built higher.
Hi Bruce.
I agree there were no 'new' processes used. I read it's built to withstand a 7.0 quake.
Merely built higher ....?
- A supertall higher than the nearest rival - T101.
- 200 meters higher than the tallest guyed mast on Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Pumping concrete to such a height was very challenging. However i heard the Chinese company now came up with a more advanced way of pumping concrete? Not sure if they gonna apply it on Shanghai Tower.
Hi Kix.
The BK concrete pumping record world record still stands.
Yes the ST may take that record unless they use a staged method.

Quote:
Hi More.
I really don't think its height suggests a giant move forward. Simply engineered to be taller. Lets face it, most WTB's and WTS's over the years were an effort to 'build the tallest'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboo View Post
i believe they did take in the fact that earthquakes could harm it also its base is in sand so they used alot more pillar things idk the name of them :S than normal also because sand caves in they developed a kind of gelatin to separate it long enough. so there was alot of unique things put into the construction of the burj
Hi Benny.
Piling for just the main structures :
BK - 194 skin friction piles (ie: not down to bedrock), 1.5 meter diameter near 50 meters deep.
ST - 831 piles. I read the particulars somewhere but I don't recall. I remember it said 955 but the 831 comes from Gensler. Seems to me they are deeper than the BK though.
The pile spacing is comparable between the two.
Nothing overly special about either foundation besides the sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Yup, Khalifa is not a building for satisfying demand, it's a trophy.
Hi Kanto.
I agree - but :
- The design is spectacular with the complex series of terraces and setbacks spiralling up to a point.
- It is the centerpiece of a larger development which will make the surrounding projects more profitable.
- It sure satisfies my demand for skyscrapers. I think it is the project that will open the floodgates of many even taller structures to come, being the first to surpass guyed masts in decades.

IMO my sig says it all.

Ray.
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #536
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

If there would be seven wonders of the modern world, just as there are seven wonders of the ancient world, Burj Khalifa would be the number one in that list. It doesn't matter whether it's a trophy or a tennant building, the fact remains that it is a wonderously beautiful building

Btw, I think Khalifa will be the next ESB, the ruler for 4 decades.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #537
patrykus

I think it won't, but lets wait to see what Saudis will do.

Old June 26th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #538
[{x}]

Likes (Received): 10

WOW, this is getting even funnier.

I just did searches by username on a few more names that appeared over the past few days on the BoC - apparently, the pathetic nationalist who's doing it has caught on, and is using more "realistic" names.

Incomplete list of usernames with 0 posts that I've never seen before (despite my post count, I lurk a lot):

Weblibrary
Zhoren
Wetrust
Sentra
killy11

That was just FIVE random names I guessed at, copied and pasted in SSC search, and go no matches. When you do a real name like I'm Using a Computer or KillerZavatar you get a complete list of all their posts.

I'd say it's definitely cheating if those names can be verified as not having voted on anything prior to the semi-finals. Alternatively, if they have a history of voting, then it might be just those people who register to gain access to features such as this.

Either way it's shameful, pathetic and dishonorable behavior. If the loser who's doing it is reading this... what are you trying to prove, lol? That your country is somehow better? It's just a game. When you do dumb things like that you're not proving anything, the Architects and Engineers are Americans/Europeans anyways, and you're giving the mods more work to do; they might decide not to have such fun competitions in the future. Screw you!
[{x}] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #539
Gasgino

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

I just did searches by username on a few more names that appeared over the past few days on the BoC - apparently, the pathetic nationalist who's doing it has caught on, and is using more "realistic" names.

Incomplete list of usernames with 0 posts that I've never seen before (despite my post count, I lurk a lot):

Weblibrary
Zhoren
Wetrust
Sentra
killy11

That was just FIVE random names I guessed at, copied and pasted in SSC search, and go no matches. When you do a real name like I'm Using a Computer or KillerZavatar you get a complete list of all their posts.

I'd say it's definitely cheating if those names can be verified as not having voted on anything prior to the semi-finals. Alternatively, if they have a history of voting, then it might be just those people who register to gain access to features such as this.

Either way it's shameful, pathetic and dishonorable behavior. If the loser who's doing it is reading this... what are you trying to prove, lol? That your country is somehow better? It's just a game. When you do dumb things like that you're not proving anything, the Architects and Engineers are Americans/Europeans anyways, and you're giving the mods more work to do; they might decide not to have such fun competitions in the future. Screw you!
Hi. This is my fisrt comment here. I just prefer to enjoy the the forum rather get involve in it. But I can't stand it when people get over react and call people shameful, pathetic etc.
FYI, I voted for CB on the first day of the CB VS BOC. So does that make the CB also cheated the vote. So next time please think before you you call anybody pathetic. There are other people who might accidently felt hited by your statement.
Gasgino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #540
eyjafjallajokulls

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Weblibrary
Zhoren
Wetrust
Sentra
killy11

Yeah, this is just a game lol.. apparently you took this game as serious as those fake cheater( assume you are correct those are cheater). Come on... Those cheater maybe your imaginary enemy, This is just a game..
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote