daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #541
[{x}]

Likes (Received): 10

If you had bothered to read my posts, you'd understand that I'm not referring to people like you, but the idiot nationalists who take so much pride in foreigners building skyscrapers in their countries and somehow misconstruing it as a source of legitimate national greatness.

I spoke out against my own country when the rabid nationalists there started cheating on City of Capitals.

Is this the first time you've voted? If so, why? If not, as my above post states, it should be easy to see which accounts have voted in the past and which accounts only started voting recently.
[{x}] no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #542
[{x}]

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjafjallajokulls View Post
Yeah, this is just a game lol.. apparently you took this game as serious as those fake cheater( assume you are correct those are cheater). Come on... Those cheater maybe your imaginary enemy, This is just a game..
Making a few posts and spending maybe 3 - 5 minutes looking at and searching names means I'm taking this seriously? Ok, lol. So you're saying that since it's nothing serious or consequential, we should just ignore the obvious cheaters? Why play it, then? Why play any game at all, with that attitude? Nice logic there bro
Old June 26th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #543
Gasgino

Likes (Received): 3

So please tell us did those 5 account that you mention voted for the past match? I'm sorry to say that I can't see who voted for the past match. If you have the same issue, you might probably assume that they never voted before and call them cheater, shameful, pathetic etc.
Gasgino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #544
[{x}]

No, I can't see, but maybe one of the mods could look into it. As I said, I don't remember seeing any of those names from any of the previous votes, which is why I brought them up.

Anyways, I'm done caring about this. I'll put my faith in the mods' abilities to detect, reverse and prevent cheating. I was just posting my observations in hopes that they could be of assistance, let others know what I think might be happening and stimulate discussion.

Back to the architecture, I now feel kind of bad voting for the ESB after seeing GIFC from different angles and in a different light...when the glass is dark it really makes it stand out more and increases impressiveness. From ground level on a sunny day it just looks like cheap green glass.
Old June 26th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #545
Gasgino

Likes (Received): 3

That's a more positive statement from you. Now I feel much better. Thank You.
Gasgino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #546
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

The competition is now very equilibrated ! The Empire State is practically tied and Chrysler is near defeat... Burj Khalifa still up but the distance doesn`t look convincing... Very good contest !

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #547
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by [{x}] View Post
WOW, this is getting even funnier.

I just did searches by username on a few more names that appeared over the past few days on the BoC - apparently, the pathetic nationalist who's doing it has caught on, and is using more "realistic" names.

Incomplete list of usernames with 0 posts that I've never seen before (despite my post count, I lurk a lot):

Weblibrary
Zhoren
Wetrust
Sentra
killy11

That was just FIVE random names I guessed at, copied and pasted in SSC search, and go no matches. When you do a real name like I'm Using a Computer or KillerZavatar you get a complete list of all their posts.

I'd say it's definitely cheating if those names can be verified as not having voted on anything prior to the semi-finals. Alternatively, if they have a history of voting, then it might be just those people who register to gain access to features such as this.

Either way it's shameful, pathetic and dishonorable behavior. If the loser who's doing it is reading this... what are you trying to prove, lol? That your country is somehow better? It's just a game. When you do dumb things like that you're not proving anything, the Architects and Engineers are Americans/Europeans anyways, and you're giving the mods more work to do; they might decide not to have such fun competitions in the future. Screw you!
I think you are a over reacting here, you are showing more nationalist behavior than other fake voters (assuming they are fake voters),
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #548
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by [{x}] View Post
Back to the architecture, I now feel kind of bad voting for the ESB after seeing GIFC from different angles and in a different light...when the glass is dark it really makes it stand out more and increases impressiveness. From ground level on a sunny day it just looks like cheap green glass.
Thats what happen to i would say 80% of the people on this forum, they do not know enough about the tower to vote. This is why i have always said to add a comparison diagram and some fair pictures that actually reflects the tower. But always i get answers like 'people who do not know the tower should not vote' or 'people will look up other pictures themselves hence there is no need for better pictures or a comparison diagram'.

Seriously Guangzhou IFC was completed last year yet it has a pictures of it with unfinished cladding and a crane on top...
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #549
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Sometimes other websites puts link into this competition. Some of those users with 0 post might be new accounts that registers just to vote.
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #550
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
- The design is spectacular with the complex series of terraces and setbacks spiralling up to a point.
This element is hardly "spectacular" but is traditional for modern skyscraper. In fact, it's almost a structural necessity for your tallest buildings, or at the least is easier in the bearing sense.

Quote:
- It is the centerpiece of a larger development which will make the surrounding projects more profitable.
The cost/benefit to the rest of this singular development will be marginal at best, because a) they didn't need it to be that tall to yield the relationing value and b) the spillover to the rest of the community as an attraction will neutralize the favoritism shown to this single development. (In other words, as others benefit from their proximity to the attraction at no additional cost, the return on investment to the Burj and it's adjoining properties will margined downward.)

I don't doubt the development will yield well and that the developer has realized their intent, but you don't build THIS simply to improve the return on investment. You build it for ego.
Quote:
- It sure satisfies my demand for skyscrapers. I think it is the project that will open the floodgates of many even taller structures to come, being the first to surpass guyed masts in decades.
True, but we'll see if their "firstness" yields anything to design or construction methodology to warrant such status. Buildings were on their way to being taller without the Burj, and many places are not blessed with the location and economic climates to afford comparable visioning, so it's tough to guage how much influence the Burj will produce.

If anything the biggest product this building could yield would be an example of how to make such tall structures financially viable.

Quote:
IMO my sig says it all.
Vanity, or compensating for something else?
Old June 27th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #551
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

I don't know the degree of 'cheating' but I think that guy who is getting all serious is clearly pointing the finger at the Chinese voters. Anyways, its good to have new forum members who can add to threads rather than the usual few. Yes ive noticed the trend to vote for the underdog in these rounds besides petronas. If they were truly chinese cheaters, they would not have been voted for Willis tower and would have bumped 2IFC back into the competition. Something I don't understand

I don't get why ESB is getting so little votes compared to the last few rounds. Its about 100-200 votes less than the previous ones. I will also quite confidently assume that those who vote for ESB follow that 'legacy, classic, first supertall etc etc' mindset, so they probably wouldn't vote for a newly completed skyscraper in favour of their ESB.
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #552
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Thats what happen to i would say 80% of the people on this forum, they do not know enough about the tower to vote. This is why i have always said to add a comparison diagram and some fair pictures that actually reflects the tower. But always i get answers like 'people who do not know the tower should not vote' or 'people will look up other pictures themselves hence there is no need for better pictures or a comparison diagram'.

Seriously Guangzhou IFC was completed last year yet it has a pictures of it with unfinished cladding and a crane on top...
i dont think a diagram would be that great of an idea cuz then like said before height will be too big of a factor in peoples votes. this is about architecture(not saying height shouldnt effect it at all but it will be too big if done like that).

i think there should have been a poll before the world cup of whats the best picture of each individual building.
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #553
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hey Gunner.

I don't agree with anything you posted ...

My sig having something to do with vanity or compensating ??

That statement leads me to wonder if you have any idea what your talking about ....
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #554
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboo View Post
i dont think a diagram would be that great of an idea cuz then like said before height will be too big of a factor in peoples votes. this is about architecture(not saying height shouldnt effect it at all but it will be too big if done like that).

i think there should have been a poll before the world cup of whats the best picture of each individual building.
That is just hiding the reality, if the height between the two is really that huge, then it should be given more weight to it.
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #555
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hey Gunner.

I don't agree with anything you posted ...

My sig having something to do with vanity or compensating ??

That statement leads me to wonder if you have any idea what your talking about ....
Just ignore them.
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #556
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

I don't understand some people saying BK has nothing but height, I mean, seriously have they even bothered to check BK's design and details? since when being 'too high' became a sin on a skyscraper forum?
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #557
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
I don't understand some people saying BK has nothing but height, I mean, seriously have they even bothered to check BK's design and details? since when being 'too high' became a sin on a skyscraper forum?
Well the 'design and details' I feel, is quite tacky. The setbacks are all the same. I'm sorry, but not everyone sees things the same, and I'm just not inspired by it. It's not 'too high' in principle, but for me, if you're gonna have the tallest building in a city, or in this case the tallest in the world, you have to have a design that justifies that height, and for me, this design is just not good enough for such a tall building.

Anyway, I'm sure there has been a butt load of cheating in the competition, but anyone who's trying to route it out, however well intentioned, can't really get anywhere. I'd love a cheat-free contest, but it'll never happen.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #558
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
If someone wanted to purposefully dishonor a tower like BK, there are millions of excuses they can use. But height and 'needle' looking design are the first two that comes to peoples mind.

Just look at Jin Mao and Petronas, I find these two towers modern yet have a lot of historical significance, well designed, tall and iconic, yet if people were to find something negative about it, there are bound to be reasons/excuses.

Jin Mao: ' The cladding is too outdated'. 'I don't like the pagoda design'. 'Its just not my type of tower'

Petronas" 'the sky bridge looks tacky'. 'Its spire is too tall'. 'don't like the surrounding buildings'

The lists can go on and on.....

I thought you would have known that by now
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #559
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 844

I've voted in the quarterfinals, now we wait for the semifinals and final...

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #560
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
If someone wanted to purposefully dishonor a tower like BK, there are millions of excuses they can use. But height and 'needle' looking design are the first two that comes to peoples mind.

Just look at Jin Mao and Petronas, I find these two towers modern yet have a lot of historical significance, well designed, tall and iconic, yet if people were to find something negative about it, there are bound to be reasons/excuses.

Jin Mao: ' The cladding is too outdated'. 'I don't like the pagoda design'. 'Its just not my type of tower'

Petronas" 'the sky bridge looks tacky'. 'Its spire is too tall'. 'don't like the surrounding buildings'

The lists can go on and on.....

I thought you would have known that by now
Also i hate it when people say 'how can a glassy tower compare with art deco'...