daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #601
ben_23
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 90
Likes (Received): 0

yes..nothing wrong with the title..the only wrong is the voters..that why this voting section has a space to discuss and throw opinion so that we know based on what people vote for..and people supposed to based on the title itself..the one who say this is famous than that and etc is is not right..that is what im trying to say..nothing wrong with the title moreover this competition dont offer any medal,gift,grand prize or whatsoever but is show how people think about each building..
ben_23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #602
ben_23
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 90
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
I know what you said, and if you carefully read both of my posts referencing your's, you'd notice that I correctly ited that you had called the GIFC ONE OF the best.



Look dude, if your opinion is that the GIFC is one of the best buildings in the world, all power to you, that is fine, but you need to understand that just because one group of people voted it the best building completed in one year, this means exactly what it says. They thought it was the best out of all the buildings completed in Asia in 2010. The same group could also place it outside the top 100 all time. It depends how great the competition was in Asia in 2010/11.

Nobody needs proof for their opinions. You like what you like and you don't need to cite someone agreeing with you to make your thoughts valid.

Also, again, you are under a mistaken impression that one knowledgeable man stating how great a building is somehow makes it one of the greatest ever. He did not use the words 'Greatest Ever', or even the word 'Greatest'. He thinks it's a very nice tower, and I agree, but he did not say it was one of the best ever.
what is your explanation of the phrase"one of the best"?
ben_23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #603
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_23 View Post
what is your explanation of the phrase"one of the best"?
In order for you to say 'this guy thinks its one of the best', he needs to have said 'I think it's one of the best'. He didn't say that. He may well think the GIFC is one of the best skyscrapers in the world, but he does not say it there, so you can't know if he does or not.

It's quite simple really.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #604
ben_23
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 90
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
In order for you to say 'this guy thinks its one of the best', he needs to have said 'I think it's one of the best'. He didn't say that. He may well think the GIFC is one of the best skyscrapers in the world, but he does not say it there, so you can't know if he does or not.

It's quite simple really.
please read my statement again clearly..


(most people think esb is a big,gigantic and stand tall but if we compare both size,gifc is bigger,more gigantic and more awesome..it is because the scale of the building in those cities..here are the diagram..esb look small and gifc look so big and outstanding..from those diagram,i can say that gifc is better building than esb futhermore,it look glassy,unique,modern,flawless.moreover,it just win best asia supertall 2011..thats mean ctbuh recognised them as one of the best supertall on earth..)

why you are so hard to accept what is truth?i said that ctbuh recognised them as one of the best supertall on earth..the phrase "one of the best" mean among all best supertall,it is one of them..for sure ctbuh will pick the best on each year and each continent and this year they pick gifc..the past winner such swfc,burj khalifa,hearst and other is also one of them..so gifc is stand among those best building..that why i said ctbuh had recognised gifc as one of the best supertall!

you know what?sincerely,when i see your name,im imagine that you're 10 years old kid that desperate to say that you are right eventhough you are wrong and many people against you..
ben_23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #605
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_23 View Post
please read my statement again clearly..


(most people think esb is a big,gigantic and stand tall but if we compare both size,gifc is bigger,more gigantic and more awesome..it is because the scale of the building in those cities..here are the diagram..esb look small and gifc look so big and outstanding..from those diagram,i can say that gifc is better building than esb futhermore,it look glassy,unique,modern,flawless.moreover,it just win best asia supertall 2011..thats mean ctbuh recognised them as one of the best supertall on earth..)

why you are so hard to accept what is truth?i said that ctbuh recognised them as one of the best supertall on earth..the phrase "one of the best" mean among all best supertall,it is one of them..for sure ctbuh will pick the best on each year and each continent and this year they pick gifc..the past winner such swfc,burj khalifa,hearst and other is also one of them..so gifc is stand among those best building..that why i said ctbuh had recognised gifc as one of the best supertall!

you know what?sincerely,when i see your name,im imagine that you're 10 years old kid that desperate to say that you are right eventhough you are wrong and many people against you..
Actually right now, it's just me against you. I have the upper hand as we are arguing in my first language, and I'm not shy about telling you I'm precisely twice the age you imagine, and I'm arguing because I can't stand to have someone having an incorrect view. When I see your name, I think of nothing. I make no judgement other than I know you are not a natural English speaker. It would be stupid for me to imagine you as a child just because you disagree.

Really, this is all about semantics. I think it is something to do with the language barrier.

I could say 'the GIFC is the best building completed in the last year', and I would say that, because I think it is. However, me saying that doesn't mean I think it's one of the best ever.

I think we should stop this. I understand entirely what your thoughts are, and I am responding accordingly, but, I don't know, maybe it IS a language thing, but you are just not going to get what I'm saying no matter how many times I say it.

Also, I'm being a pedantic bastard, and you are just responding to that bastard-ry.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #606
ben_23
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 90
Likes (Received): 0

1-I could say 'the GIFC is the best building completed in the last year', and I would say that, because I think it is. However, me saying that doesn't mean I think it's one of the best ever.

2-thats mean ctbuh recognised them as one of the best supertall on earth

both are different..i didnt mention the word "ever",i just say one of the best
ben_23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #607
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_23 View Post
1-I could say 'the GIFC is the best building completed in the last year', and I would say that, because I think it is. However, me saying that doesn't mean I think it's one of the best ever.

2-thats mean ctbuh recognised them as one of the best supertall on earth

both are different..i didnt mention the word "ever",i just say one of the best
Unless you attach a particular time constraint, such as in a particular year, those two mean the same thing. You don't need to use the word 'ever' for it to be assumed that you mean all time. If you don't mean 'ever', when do you mean?

Please, can we stop this. I'm so bored.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; June 29th, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #608
angel_us
BANNED
 
angel_us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: miami
Posts: 71
Likes (Received): 0

come on bruce.i know that you know what ben_23 try to say.stop this nonsense.i can see from the previous post that you start first.i think everyone know what ben_23 trying to say eventhough he was not good in english.Dont pretend and make him like he was to dumb.
angel_us no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #609
dutchsnookerfan
Registered User
 
dutchsnookerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: very far from skyscrapers
Posts: 1,309
Likes (Received): 9

I find the buildings from this time as good as from the art deco time.
__________________
London-Paris 2 Cities in balance
historic monuments and skyscrapers working together!
dutchsnookerfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #610
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_us View Post
come on bruce.i know that you know what ben_23 try to say.stop this nonsense.i can see from the previous post that you start first.i think everyone know what ben_23 trying to say eventhough he was not good in english.Dont pretend and make him like he was to dumb.
I admit, and I already said I'm being a pedantic bastard, but I honestly don't understand what he means if he doesn't mean 'ever'. I can only assume he means in 'our time', but that's just a guess.

I am a pedant, and I have nothing else to do while I'm working. I'll stop it now though
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #611
Ni3lS
Moderator
 
Ni3lS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stuttgart
Posts: 16,465
Likes (Received): 3423

Like I stated before in a comment on the IFC vs ESB round, there are no fake votes. It just sucks that too many people over here vote for their country or because of nationalistic reasons instead of voting for the best design or look. Everyone has their own opinion, deal with it. The comments from most Russian members during the round against ESB were just outrageous. ACCEPT that other forumers have a different opinion, don't blame the loss on something else. There aren't people that are gonne jeopardise their membership by creating more accounts to vote for their favorite tower, it's just not worth it. Getting banned over a competition like this? Who cares which design wins, it's not going to change your life. Get real people, stop the fake votes bullshit and just enjoy the competition.
__________________
MY SHOWCASE
FLICKR / MY TRAVELS:
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #612
Ewan117
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 267
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Your post has just a bit more sense than his But if we wonder how these to will be received in this 80 years in future, I think it will be even worse for gifc. Because now its fresh and people haven't enough time to "know" this tower. It's always like that with new things. They may be tacky and people still may like it for some time until the "wow" effect past. And when this happen, and both towers will be "old" it will be way easier to see whats what. And obviously gifc is just tube covered with undetailed glass facade. Nothing innovative really.
At the rate some forumers are going, they probably will never get to 'know this tower'. It will forever remain as an unknown cucumber in some random city in China. They will still think that they only relevant supertalls are ESB, Willis and at best Petronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Using A Computer View Post
well said. in terms of esb vs gifc, esb beats gifc in so many ways. gifc is just a bland building, a way that guangzhou was trying to be recognized by the world, but didnt really succeed. i live in the US and visit the UK frequently to see family, and in both countries there are very, very few people who have ever even heard of guangzhou.
Thats not Guangzhou's fault. Did they not hold the Asian Games last year? Its almost a household name for most Asian countries. Just because its not heard of, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'm Australian and when I talk to people about the Olympics, they didn't even know where the next (2012) olympics will be held, I was quite surprised. But is it London's fault or is it just their plain ignorance?
Ewan117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #613
deepblue01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 859
Likes (Received): 66

Guys, none of this has got to do with the supertall itself. Its city's history and popularity has got nothing to do with the tower itself. We are voting for the tower not the city.

@ Ewan117: I'm aware that people vote for the city instead of the tower, so get used to it because other will not vote for the tower because of the city. So things even out. As many China haters there are, there are as many Chinese supporters. Same goes with the US and England when the Shard gets completed.

That's why I think its a disadvantage for towers to come from Chinese cities and american cities in particular, they get subjected to all this forced bias. True cities like Kuala Lumpur and Hong Kong make their mark because they are good!!!!

As with Dubai, i think people are jealous of them, and therefore gets a similar but not the same bias treatment as Chinese cities

Its what you like, not what is recognised. Yes GIFC won awards, but most towers win awards, trump, SWFC Jin Mao also won awards, they didn't get through nor does it mean that they win instantly. History and recognition isn't everything. Its what you like!!!!! Thats the purpose of the vote. If you are being dictated by external factors, then this is no longer voting, hence no longer democratic!!!!!!!
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #614
lkiller123
oh yeah
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hong Kong/Los Angeles
Posts: 887
Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.



Hi Killer.

I have chosen ST as one of the projects I watch and collect pics and info of.
I save any and all I come across for all the projects I 'watch'.

I don't have near the amount of info on any other project except the BK but I would be happy if that would change.


Ray.
I love what you are doing here mate.
__________________
flickr
lkiller123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #615
Im Using A Computer
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 260
Likes (Received): 14

wow how did gifc suddenly get over 60 votes in under 2 minutes? how could this possibly be legitimate? this contest is complete bs.

to make this fair after this illegitimate voting, BoC and gifc should be automatically disqualified, burj and petronas should be put up gainst eachother in a final match, whichever of those two wins is champ. theyre both nice and their victories seem legitimate. on the other hand, gifc and boc shouldnt even be allowed to compete.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #616
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...
 
Castle_Bravo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Warsaw (PL) / Utrecht (NL)
Posts: 2,278
Likes (Received): 200

In my opinion only people with +10 or even more posts should have the right to vote- It would eliminate fake accounts...
__________________
Odgadnij wysokość
Castle_Bravo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #617
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Using A Computer View Post
wow how did gifc suddenly get over 60 votes in under 2 minutes? how could this possibly be legitimate? this contest is complete bs.
Was it really in 2 minutes? :O I can see that it's jumped 60 votes since yesterday. There is no way anyone can see that and not think something fishy is going on. These have been near level with the ESB having the edge for the last 4 or 5 days, and now, on the eve of the vote closing, the Chinese rally round, and get 60 or 70 of votes overnight.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #618
fragel
Registered User
 
fragel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fragel Town, Michigan
Posts: 1,452
Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Using A Computer View Post
wow how did gifc suddenly get over 60 votes in under 2 minutes? how could this possibly be legitimate? this contest is complete bs.

to make this fair after this illegitimate voting, BoC and gifc should be automatically disqualified, burj and petronas should be put up gainst eachother in a final match, whichever of those two wins is champ. theyre both nice and their victories seem legitimate. on the other hand, gifc and boc shouldnt even be allowed to compete.
Mods, I believe this id should be instantly banned for racism:

Quote:
[242] Im Using A Computer on June 29, 2011 21:51:54
this contest isnt even worth watching. idiot cheating chinamen
__________________
女口果人尔能句多王里解这句言舌,京尤言兑日月人尔有匕匕车交严重白勺斗又鸟目艮。
fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #619
Bricken Ridge
Registered User
 
Bricken Ridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 268
Likes (Received): 15

Oh boy, this contest is getting too serious. Hilarious.
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #620
Im Using A Computer
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 260
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
Mods, I believe this id should be instantly banned for racism:
lol. that isnt racism. thats akin to calling a british person an englishman or an american a yank. get over it.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu