daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #621
Ewan117

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle_Bravo View Post
In my opinion only people with +10 or even more posts should have the right to vote- It would eliminate fake accounts...
NO!!!!!!!!!!

If they wanted to cheat, they could have easily made 10 posts and then continue with their cheating. In my opinion, once the supertall world cup starts, no other 'new' member can vote once the competition has started. This ensures that there are no 'last minute' registrations. Of course, people can always have back up for the next few tournaments.

I suspect that there has been cheating from all the towers, not just Chinese towers. I am pretty sure many americans or american tower supporters have multiple accounts now. Just look at the total votes, why are there so many more between two towers than there have been from the previous rounds?

Whether or not a tower wins the competition is quite irrelevant to me. I just hoped that they used better pictures. This tournament isn't an actual representation of how good the towers are. GIFC if against ICC or 2IFC would have lost ages ago, don't see why its ahead of them. Jin Mao and SWFC would have been a much better choice than Willis and GIFC, don't get why they haven't made it that far
Ewan117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #622
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan117 View Post
NO!!!!!!!!!!

If they wanted to cheat, they could have easily made 10 posts and then continue with their cheating. In my opinion, once the supertall world cup starts, no other 'new' member can vote once the competition has started. This ensures that there are no 'last minute' registrations. Of course, people can always have back up for the next few tournaments.

I suspect that there has been cheating from all the towers, not just Chinese towers. I am pretty sure many americans or american tower supporters have multiple accounts now. Just look at the total votes, why are there so many more between two towers than there have been from the previous rounds?

Whether or not a tower wins the competition is quite irrelevant to me. I just hoped that they used better pictures. This tournament isn't an actual representation of how good the towers are. GIFC if against ICC or 2IFC would have lost ages ago, don't see why its ahead of them. Jin Mao and SWFC would have been a much better choice than Willis and GIFC, don't get why they haven't made it that far
i like this idea. deffinately a good idea. this shouldve been one before this tournament commenced.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #623
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

I suggest a cap on the max number of voters. Once a poll has, say 499 votes, it's over and the next round starts?
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #624
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
Guys, none of this has got to do with the supertall itself. Its city's history and popularity has got nothing to do with the tower itself. We are voting for the tower not the city.
I remember people saying architects must weigh in the environment when they design the tower hence environment is an integral part of the design of the tower and hence should be a factor considered during the vote - hence Willis > Burj.

In this case, i can imagine people saying architects will have to consider the city which the tower is located, there for it is also an integral part of the design and hence must be considered.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #625
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
I remember people saying architects must weigh in the environment when they design the tower hence environment is an integral part of the design of the tower and hence should be a factor considered during the vote - hence Willis > Burj.

In this case, i can imagine people saying architects will have to consider the city which the tower is located, there for it is also an integral part of the design and hence must be considered.
Well I argued that. Of course an architect has to consider environment, but environment and the particular city are not the same thing. A tower which would fit in in Chicago would probably fit in quite well in Hong Kong, or Shanghai as these are all dense urban centres which have lots of tall buildings already.

If there was a contest between a building which fit it's location versus one that didn't, unless the latter is a seriously nice design, the former will probably win for me. If there were 2 towers which fit their surroundings equally well, but one was in New York and the other in Shenzhen, the cities would have no bearing.

We should take into account whether the building fits into it's location, but we shouldn't vote for a building BECAUSE of which city of country it is in.

Also, I'm seeing now the ESB v GIFC vote has closed and the cheats have swung it. I don't see why I should bother to vote any more. Clearly my single fair votes don't count and only those with multiple accounts or other methods of dishonesty can make a difference.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; June 30th, 2011 at 11:52 AM.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #626
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

even though it likely cheated im forced to vote BOC. the only one i find to still be fitting for a competition on best architecture.
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #627
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
Well I argued that. Of course an architect has to consider environment, but environment and the particular city are not the same thing. A tower which would fit in in Chicago would probably fit in quite well in Hong Kong, or Shanghai as these are all dense urban centres which have lots of tall buildings already.

If there was a contest between a building which fit it's location versus one that didn't, unless the latter is a seriously nice design, the former will probably win for me. If there were 2 towers which fit their surroundings equally well, but one was in New York and the other in Shenzhen, the cities would have no bearing.

We should take into account whether the building fits into it's location, but we shouldn't vote for a building BECAUSE of which city of country it is in.
/Facepalm GIFC stands for guangzhou international financial centre, hopefully you made the mistake due to factors other than ignorance.

The city is the surrounding for the tower... makes sense? The two words are interchangeable in this context. So essentially you are voting based on city, unless a tower's design is 'seriously nice'. Conclusion? City vs. City.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #628
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Though I denied it in the first place, what are the odds? Apparently there are people with no life that just make an account for just one vote out of 1500.. I'm going to discuss this with the ssc staff. Until then, no personal attacks or whining please.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #629
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
/Facepalm GIFC stands for guangzhou international financial centre, hopefully you made the mistake due to factors other than ignorance.

The city is the surrounding for the tower... makes sense? The two words are interchangeable in this context. So essentially you are voting based on city, unless a tower's design is 'seriously nice'. Conclusion? City vs. City.
I made no mistake. I made no mention of this particular contest, it was just a 'for instance' and Shenzhen was the first Chinese city which came to mind

No not at all. They are not synonymous. In this competition lots of people have voted for towers based on their cities. They have voted for the CoC because it is in Moscow, the ESB because it is NYC, GIFC because it's in Guangzhou etc. THAT is wrong.

What I advocate is taking the surroundings into account and judging how ell the tower fits in. Cities like NYC, or Tokyo, or Chicago or, Hong Kong are all pretty dense. They all have a large number of towers. A particular skyscraper would probably fit in in all those cities. It might not fit in in Dubai. Or Riyadh.

If there was a contest between the Citigroup Center in NYC and the Shard in London, and just go by the locations and the cities, I like London more the NYC, and to vote based on that would be wrong, but the Citigroup fits in in NYC way more than the Shard does in London, and THAT is somethig I'd take into account. You see the difference?

There is a big difference between picking a building just because of it's city, and picking a building based on how well it fits into it's city.
Old June 30th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #630
capslock
Ho hum

Likes (Received): 1656

Well I was going to vote for GIFC but didn't get there in time and am not Chinese.

So that proves..... um...
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #631
eyjafjallajokulls

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Using A Computer View Post
lol. that isnt racism. thats akin to calling a british person an englishman or an american a yank. get over it.

Please stop making accusition without any prove!! Pathetic.
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #632
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjafjallajokulls View Post
Please stop making accusition without any prove!! Pathetic.
How was what you quoted an accusation?
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #633
jayhawker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock View Post
Well I was going to vote for GIFC but didn't get there in time and am not Chinese.

So that proves..... um...

...that you have terrible taste.
jayhawker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #634
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawker View Post
...that you have terrible taste.
It proves his opinion differs from yours and mine. It's a shame he was too late to vote.
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #635
[{x}]

Likes (Received): 10

[{x}] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #636
myf282828
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Americans are sour because non of their towers in last 4.
myf282828 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #637
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by myf282828 View Post
Americans are sour because non of their towers in last 4.
Yeah, it's really stupid to be annoyed when unfairness and trickery win out. I think they should just get over it and embrace it.
Old June 30th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #638
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Jeez, I can't believe that GIFC won. So many votes in the final minutes- how pathetic. Hopefully those people with their fake accounts will get caught eventually. Also I sincerely hope that Chinese people aren't those who "cheated", because if so- well then shame on them!
Old June 30th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #639
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

let us make another competition in photo section-best supertall poster base on this final4
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #640
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2662

Hold your horses everybody and let us figure things out. No need to attack each other.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote