daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #641
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1958

Hmm, well I like others was surprised that GIFC came out on top, but oh well. Now if it somehow beats Petronas, which I'm sure ESB would have lost to anyways, then I'll have to say somethings up.

Hopefully there is another supertalls WC in the future, ESB will be revenged.

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #642
jorg3_ignacio

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by đđeůx View Post
Hmm, well I like others was surprised that GIFC came out on top, but oh well. Now if it somehow beats Petronas, which I'm sure ESB would have lost to anyways, then I'll have to say somethings up.

Hopefully there is another supertalls WC in the future, ESB will be revenged.
I think that ESB was the only one that can beat the Burj Khalifa, but, now with all the Fake Accounts, the Burj Khalifa is surely the winner.

Really, if Chinese Users want one of their towers to won, this is the worst form.
jorg3_ignacio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #643
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorg3_ignacio View Post
I think that ESB was the only one that can beat the Burj Khalifa, but, now with all the Fake Accounts, the Burj Khalifa is surely the winner.

Really, if Chinese Users want one of their towers to won, this is the worst form.
Well we can't jump to conclusions..I think Petronas could beat Burj Khalifa, but it'd definitely be a really close poll.

And how do you know the jump in votes came from Chinese users? It could've been anybody. I'm pretty sure no matter where these sudden votes for GIFC came from Burj Khalifa and Petronas will be facing off for the title.
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #644
jorg3_ignacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by đđeůx View Post
Well we can't jump to conclusions..I think Petronas could beat Burj Khalifa, but it'd definitely be a really close poll.

And how do you know the jump in votes came from Chinese users? It could've been anybody. I'm pretty sure no matter where these sudden votes for GIFC came from Burj Khalifa and Petronas will be facing off for the title.
If ESB, had won, easily have beaten petronas.
jorg3_ignacio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 12:04 AM   #645
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorg3_ignacio View Post
If ESB, had won, easily have beaten petronas.
im not sure about tat, empire state building wasnt that far ahead for CoC and now if won only with a bit percentage over GIFC.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 12:11 AM   #646
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
No not at all. They are not synonymous. In this competition lots of people have voted for towers based on their cities. They have voted for the CoC because it is in Moscow, the ESB because it is NYC, GIFC because it's in Guangzhou etc. THAT is wrong.

What I advocate is taking the surroundings into account and judging how ell the tower fits in. Cities like NYC, or Tokyo, or Chicago or, Hong Kong are all pretty dense. They all have a large number of towers. A particular skyscraper would probably fit in in all those cities. It might not fit in in Dubai. Or Riyadh.

If there was a contest between the Citigroup Center in NYC and the Shard in London, and just go by the locations and the cities, I like London more the NYC, and to vote based on that would be wrong, but the Citigroup fits in in NYC way more than the Shard does in London, and THAT is somethig I'd take into account. You see the difference?

There is a big difference between picking a building just because of it's city, and picking a building based on how well it fits into it's city.
That is what i am saying, because London has a different environment to New York, Shard in your opinion does not fit in as well as Citigroup in NYC. Essentially it is the city that is the environment to the towers, it makes sense, if a city is very densely packed with skyscrapers, then the tower's environment will be densely packed. I just think it is unfair that Shard such an elegant tower will be limited based on the environment, location or rather the city it is built in. I think any rational and sane person will obviously agree based on the tower alone (not considering the environment or city) Shard is way better than Citigroup in NYC.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 01:26 AM   #647
k%
Pijże

Likes (Received): 19931

on Polish forum we have our rule on voting for example when choosing Moderators.

Only persons with at least 100 post and half year at SSC.

Others are automatically banned when vote.
k% no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 01:36 AM   #648
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by k% View Post
on Polish forum we have our rule on voting for example when choosing Moderators.

guess the city and the one on ones made me a member back then. i think without i still would be just surfing this place without really talking. i think its like a teaser for this forum like the diagrams on SSP are for theirs.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 01:52 AM   #649
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Quote:

Choosing mods by vote? First of all, that's a terrible way of handling things and second, I don't see how this is related to the supertalls world cup.

We simply can't make these restrictions. It won't attract any new members, and we'd like to keep the website growing.

The only thing we can do is ban all the accounts and delete the votes.

To the ones that can't help themselves:

This is the last time I'm going to mention it, stop bitching and attacking each other over some designs and opinions, or I will however be forced to start brigging people.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nrburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lbeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Dsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zrich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Mlaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbhel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 01:55 AM   #650
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:

It should be at least 20. 100 is to much
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:04 AM   #651
Kenni
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Choosing mods by vote? First of all, that's a terrible way of handling things and second, I don't see how this is related to the supertalls world cup.

We simply can't make these restrictions. It won't attract any new members, and we'd like to keep the website growing.

The only thing we can do is ban all the accounts and delete the votes.

To the ones that can't help themselves:

This is the last time I'm going to mention it, stop bitching and attacking each other over some designs and opinions, or I will however be forced to start brigging people.
Yeah!!

Yipe! If I'd ever use that language in my area they would surely De-Mod me.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:53 AM   #652
Ewan117

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock View Post
Well I was going to vote for GIFC but didn't get there in time and am not Chinese.

So that proves..... um...

Truthfully, if I was to cheat, I wouldn't have voted for GIFC in a cheating manner. If I was Chinese, I would have made sure Jin Mao and SWFC made it through. They are truly more iconic than GIFC. GIFC is still a new tower, for it to win or get this far makes no sense at all.

I think the dodgy voting came from all the towers, its just that maybe more American haters than Chinese haters on this forum. I assume that there are a lot more American/Western voters on this forum that would of happily voted for ESB for example and Im sure some of them made multiple accounts. They are complaining purely because they didn't out do the Chinese maybe.
Ewan117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 03:03 AM   #653
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

agree.i think the vote come from all over the world,maybe american still admire their1st skyscraper,but most people already geeting bored with esb..for me its already eaten by time..
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 03:25 AM   #654
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Hmmm Shanghai WFC lost to Chrysler and Chrysler lost to the Bank of China.

Can I get a Shanghai WFC Vs Bank Of China. Because there's no way in hell BOC beats SWFC. Oh and what da hell happen to the ESB.

And Guy4 ESB isn't are first skyscraper not even close. And the only building I would vote for over ESB is Taipei 101.
Old July 1st, 2011, 03:54 AM   #655
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

You know guys, this world cup is an enjoyable addition to this forum.
All this bickering is bound to make Jan hesitate to do it again ...

I suggest you make recommendations for the next one (like some are doing)and hopefully it will happen.

Ray.
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:59 AM   #656
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
agree.i think the vote come from all over the world,maybe american still admire their1st skyscraper,but most people already geeting bored with esb..for me its already eaten by time..
Yep that is true. However we shouldn't just tell all the classics to move aside for the new legends, however, if the new towers (Ie BK and Petronas) are actually better than the classics, of course we need to admit to this fact rather than bringing back the 'expired' sorry to say.

Having said that, not all new towers will be better than the 'pre-2000' supertalls. From 2010-2020, I only see a handful of towers making into the 'legend' status. Tall does not always equal better but rather a combination of height, design and placement in the local area which makes it stunning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

You know guys, this world cup is an enjoyable addition to this forum.
All this bickering is bound to make Jan hesitate to do it again ...

I suggest you make recommendations for the next one (like some are doing)and hopefully it will happen.

Ray.
To ensure that the tournament is fair we should:
-Start a commonwealth supertall competition (commonwealth games)
-Start an Asian supertall competition (Asian games)
-Start national games competition (all american, all canadian etc etc)
-Olympic games (the current competition)

In these cases, its not about which country that wins, rather, its what tower that wins

Choose better pictures for the towers, maybe night and day pictures. You need to make sure that the towers are accurately and evenly represented. Take the most recent contest GIFC and ESB:
-ESB is shown in night time and only a small proportion of the tower is shown where as GIFC is shown in day time at a bad angle with the tower still incomplete.

Both towers need to be lit up and both towers needs to be shown in its completed form. If in need, the surrounding CBD should be shown to see how it fits into the CBD.

Of course, you can't really improve the way people vote since there will be some sort of nationalism in voting anyways. However, if its clear that one tower is better than the other, the underdog winning will instantly indicate nationalism and therefore loses its glory. Bad images on the other hand, can't do this!!!!!
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 06:41 AM   #657
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

when does voting for the next round start?
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:52 PM   #658
capslock
Ho hum

Likes (Received): 1654

I think that there's a lot of jumping to conclusions going on here in the GIFC versus ESB spat. The point is that they are both IMO great towers, but in another way, they couldn't be more different.

It's East v. West in terms of geography, sure, but it's also Old v New or solidity versus glassy slenderness. I would have voted for GIFC, but wouldn't have minded if GIFC lost out to ESB - they're both awesome towers.

Regardless of any geographical bias, they both represent the essence of skyscrapers to me. But one stems from and is symbolic of the romantic 'heydey' of the skyscraper, and the other is, (again only IMO), a beautiful distillation of where the evolution of the skyscraper is now - the second coming of the skyscraper age in a sense. GIFC is modern, elegant and sophisticated but also subtle and restrained, avoiding the tricksy bling that you see too much of. I like that - although others may not.

In that sense the two are incomparible.... but as comparing them we are, a bit of respect for other peoples' tastes and opinions wouldn't go amiss.
Old July 1st, 2011, 03:08 PM   #659
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock View Post
I think that there's a lot of jumping to conclusions going on here in the GIFC versus ESB spat. The point is that they are both IMO great towers, but in another way, they couldn't be more different.

It's East v. West in terms of geography, sure, but it's also Old v New or solidity versus glassy slenderness. I would have voted for GIFC, but wouldn't have minded if GIFC lost out to ESB - they're both awesome towers.

Regardless of any geographical bias, they both represent the essence of skyscrapers to me. But one stems from and is symbolic of the romantic 'heydey' of the skyscraper, and the other is, (again only IMO), a beautiful distillation of where the evolution of the skyscraper is now - the second coming of the skyscraper age in a sense. GIFC is modern, elegant and sophisticated but also subtle and restrained, avoiding the tricksy bling that you see too much of. I like that - although others may not.

In that sense the two are incomparible.... but as comparing them we are, a bit of respect for other peoples' tastes and opinions wouldn't go amiss.
I think I would agree with everything you just so incredibly succinctly said, BUT, most people aren't disrespecting other's opinions, they are complaining about the clear underhandedness which has been implemented in some cases.

If the GIFC had won, entirely through people liking it more, which I suspect wouldn't have happened, but anyway, if that had happened, I'd be miffed, but if that was the view of the people, all would be well and I, and I speak only for myself, I would be satisfied with that. The problem is that we know that's not what happened.

I should really stop being sucked into this, what's done is done.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:34 PM   #660
eyjafjallajokulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post

Choose better pictures for the towers, maybe night and day pictures. You need to make sure that the towers are accurately and evenly represented. Take the most recent contest GIFC and ESB:
-ESB is shown in night time and only a small proportion of the tower is shown where as GIFC is shown in day time at a bad angle with the tower still incomplete.

Both towers need to be lit up and both towers needs to be shown in its completed form. If in need, the surrounding CBD should be shown to see how it fits into the CBD.

Of course, you can't really improve the way people vote since there will be some sort of nationalism in voting anyways. However, if its clear that one tower is better than the other, the underdog winning will instantly indicate nationalism and therefore loses its glory. Bad images on the other hand, can't do this!!!!!

Please refer below, it was from previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
^ this is not a photo competition, the image is merely there to remind you what supertall you're voting on. If you have no knowledge of the building and judge it by the image, then you should not be voting, really.
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote