daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #741
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

just sayin'
[img]http://oi55.************/5bw6ls.jpg[/img]
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:21 AM   #742
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

People say its a real shame that too many votes are based on height, i say the opposite, its a real shame that way too many people disregard the difference in size. You people might as well go cherish some 5 stories art-decos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
IMHO it looks rather tired comparing to the new glassy skyscrapers. Dont really see how 'elegant' really fits in as many people have described it..
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #743
k%
Pijże

Likes (Received): 19932

David will beat Goliath
k% no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #744
Ewan117

Likes (Received): 18

That picture Kix quoted of ESB should have been used for the competition, instead of some night lit picture which shows only a fraction of the tower.

ESB and Chrysler both have pretty similar designs, just like many of today's boxes and towers. They share a lot of similarity. Of course the top of the two towers differ, but that is about it.

@Kix: When people fall in love with someone, everything about them looks good. Same concept here. ESB has got the height, class, history, elegance, iconic figure, nice placement etc etc etc..............

Compared to many new CBDs around the world and the towers in them (Shanghai, KL, Hong Kong), I find NYC one big mess. Never found the fascination with it. Which part of it is the defining skyline? HK sometimes annoy me when the build mediocre towers in front of nice towers as well. Of course, this message will only be received by true skyscraper fans. Those that have fallen in love with NYC and its bits will just quote me and give me 'reasons' why I might be incorrect
Ewan117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:27 AM   #745
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan117 View Post
That picture Kix quoted of ESB should have been used for the competition, instead of some night lit picture which shows only a fraction of the tower.
I think I must have explained 600 times by now that this is not a photo contest, but we're voting on the building. The image is just a reminder of what you're voting on. If you're voting by the image alone, you shouldn't be voting.
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #746
Ewan117

Yes, but still, every tower deserves to have a decent picture. If if was truly to be a knowledge tower contest, there shouldn't be pictures at all right? We should know what it looks like before voting. However, I'm just annoyed that the pictures aren't of the same quality for all towers. You would be naive to think that the quality of the picture doesn't affect the way people vote when they are about to press that vote button for the towers.

We can't have renders for some towers, a fraction of some towers, night views of others and daytime pictures in others. They should all be the same and they should all show the full tower. If all the images were the same, this is no longer a photo contest. You would be voting for towers that look good, that deserves to be the winner.
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #747
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

@Jan

Yes this is not a photo contest, but what guarantees people are not voting on just the image?

If people were really to put in the effort and research the towers before they cast their vote, then all there need is the name of the tower. By giving pictures, it is giving voters a prima facie impression and comparison of the two towers based on the quality of the pictures.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #748
OEincorparated

Likes (Received): 47

What happened to all the votes for BOC and Guangzhou IFC?
OEincorparated no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #749
Sebosim

Likes (Received): 0

I hope Chrylser 'll win.
In my opinion this diagram shows again how ugly Burj Khalifa is.
Sebosim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #750
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Not everything that glitters is gold!
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #751
[{x}]

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEincorparated View Post
a graet justice happened
[{x}] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 06:35 AM   #752
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15908

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEincorparated View Post
Previously posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I just did an extensive research on the voting and found a large number of votes cast by accounts which were all registered around the same time, all have 0 posts to their names and only voted for the one on one on the days of the semies. They are all registered with the same IP ranges and email domains. User name all have the same structure. Those are all clear signs someone or a group of people abused accounts just to rig a vote. I deleted all these votes and did a recount.

If someone thinks their vote got deleted, please send me a PM.

That resulted in the following end result for the quarter finals:

Burj Khalifa: was 879, after recount: 879
Willis Tower: was 791, after recount: 482

Chrysler Building: was 640, after recount: 631
Bank of China Tower: was 770, after recount: 442

Two IFC: was 444 , after recount: 314
Petronas Towers: was 935, after recount: 749

Guangzhou IFC: was 828, after recount: 390
Empire State Building: was 763, after recount: 761

That means that the semi finals will be Burj Khalifa vs Chrysler Building, and Petronas Towers vs. Empire State Building.

These will start Monday. From now on, only registered members with at least 5 posts to their name get to vote.

Cheers,
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #753
jorg3_ignacio

Wow, Chrysler is beating the BK, I dont think is gonna last too much, Chrysler is an amazing building, a piece of art, But the BK is just at another level from that, +800 meters is a lot, also I think the Chrysler building photo is not good.
jorg3_ignacio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #754
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

The BK is just a big concrete slab, with glass on it. when you look at it, there isn't really any great details on it at all
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #755
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboo View Post
woooo go chrystler :3 if it wins this i think it can beat petronas
hahaha
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #756
angel_us
BANNED

Go bk!
angel_us no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #757
aismanggo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Burj khalifa is a man made marvelous..chrysler is good,but im getting bored with that style..not inspiring and the fascade is just ugly and doesnt have chemistry with that hideous
aluminium foil crown..
aismanggo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #758
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
People say its a real shame that too many votes are based on height, i say the opposite, its a real shame that way too many people disregard the difference in size. You people might as well go cherish some 5 stories art-decos.
Five stories won't do. What's important is the tower form - the elegant vertical proportions - not total height. Taipei 101 is a perfect example of a tower that is very tall but with zero architectural merit. Turning Torso is a tower of 191m that is one of the finest ever built, anywhere. TT is better architecture than almost every tower in this competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
IMHO it looks rather tired comparing to the new glassy skyscrapers. Dont really see how 'elegant' really fits in as many people have described it..
But far too often the glass on modern towers is a dull green-grey under most light conditions. They look dark and oppressive. I think in 20 years time we'll look back on much of what we're building today in the same way as we look back on decayed concrete buildings from the 60s.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #759
Ewan117

Dam mate, you are tough on words. However, I'm starting to think that you see things from a West (english/america) perspective.

Why does Taipei101 lack architectural merit?
Do you know what it is supposed to represent? Of all the 'Chinese' buildings, Taipei 101 along with Jin Mao show history yet are modern. You shouldn't have messed with these two towers since it now makes you look extremely ignorant. You may not 'see' the design, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist!!!!

I think a handful of towers from this era (1990-2010) will remain classics and age gracefully, others will just be forgotten. Most of the modern towers, if built outside of the 'west' will never been discovered and will remain forever dormant in countries like Australia and the US. I'm not too pleased with the way tower designs are heading in the future. Almost all cities around the world are construction similar styled, munted styled buildings. Not many towers seem to carry the detailed 'Petronas' effect anymore. Many towers in China look repetitive and lack their culture.

A lot of the modern towers are moving away from the darker shades of glass and moving towards the light gray or clear glass
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #760
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Dam mate, you are tough on words. However, I'm starting to think that you see things from a West (english/america) perspective.
But haven't I expressed admiration for Turning Torso, Bank of China, and SWFC? (None of which are in Britain or America.) Yes, I think Taipei 101's horrible. I don't much like the Sears Tower either. There are ugly towers in all parts of the world.
Quote:
Why does Taipei101 lack architectural merit?
The hideous green glass, the gold medallion, etc. It's just utterly vile.
Quote:
Do you know what it is supposed to represent? Of all the 'Chinese' buildings, Taipei 101 along with Jin Mao show history yet are modern. You shouldn't have messed with these two towers since it now makes you look extremely ignorant. You may not 'see' the design, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist!!!!
Actually I never mentioned Jin Mao, and, for, what its worth, I rather like it. However it's no match for the SWFC.
Quote:
A lot of the modern towers are moving away from the darker shades of glass and moving towards the light gray or clear glass
Only a handful. Most new towers look a dingy dull grey-green.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

Last edited by Langur; July 4th, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote