daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #761
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Taipei 101 design catches my eye, more than any other building on this planet. It's my favorite building.

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #762
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

funny how so many people say buildings like esb are "old and tired" but buidlings built today are "futuristic". How can something be resemblant of the future when it was built in the recent past? im sure that in 50 years, people will look back on these "futuristic" buildings that are built today and view them with the same disdain people today view the 60's-70's buildings.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #763
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Will they seem to hate the buildings from the 30's more. But let somebody tear one down, to build a new skyscraper. And they'll cry, Wondering why nobody tried to save it.
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #764
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
Five stories won't do. What's important is the tower form - the elegant vertical proportions - not total height. Taipei 101 is a perfect example of a tower that is very tall but with zero architectural merit. Turning Torso is a tower of 191m that is one of the finest ever built, anywhere. TT is better architecture than almost every tower in this competition.But far too often the glass on modern towers is a dull green-grey under most light conditions. They look dark and oppressive. I think in 20 years time we'll look back on much of what we're building today in the same way as we look back on decayed concrete buildings from the 60s.
A five story art deco that has the same vertical proportion as the Chrysler. Your views are way too extreme.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #765
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
A five story art deco that has the same vertical proportion as the Chrysler. Your views are way too extreme.
How is that extreme? You bringing a five story building into was stupid in the first place as we are talking about supertalls.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #766
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

I admire the Chrysler Building, but this time I'll go with BK. Both are impressive structures, but unfortunately I can't vote for both.
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #767
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
How is that extreme? You bringing a five story building into was stupid in the first place as we are talking about supertalls.

Taipei 101 has zero architectural merit is not extreme? Right.

And i was just making a joke upon 'its the design that matters not height'...
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #768
Bruce.Tenmile

Well it's his opinion. It may be the polar opposite of yours, but that doesn't make it extreme.

Yeah, I saw your point, but design is the most important thing. Height, yes, it's a part of it, but it shouldn't have that much influence. I would say maybe 1/5 would be more than sufficient for height.
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #769
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

i never liked taipei 101 because it had such a unique design, just not used to a design like that. but then i wrote an essay about the building and now i love it haha
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #770
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

The Burj Khalifa is mankind's greatest engineering and architectural achievement to date and deserves to win. The Chrystler, although a worthy opponent, has had it's day and is now looking old, tired and outdated, though its timeless design will help it stand out for many years to come.

No contest if you ask me - the Burj wins hands down.
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #771
kix111

Quote:

Well it's his opinion. It may be the polar opposite of yours, but that doesn't make it extreme.

Yeah, I saw your point, but design is the most important thing. Height, yes, it's a part of it, but it shouldn't have that much influence. I would say maybe 1/5 would be more than sufficient for height.
I dislike T101 myself but i dont think anyone has grounds to disapprove a building in such a manner. Gotta at least appreciate the effort architects put into the building.
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #772
Bruce.Tenmile

I don't think anyone has 'gotta' appreciate anything. I do take your point though, to say it has no merit at all is quite unfair, but if that's his opinion, well that's that.
Old July 4th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #773
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:

Not extreme? He completely ignores the details of the building. He doesn't see it!!!! Its not just about views and whether 'i like it or not' in this case since the design clearly came from bamboo shoots. He might not like it, thats fine, but no merit is completely ignoring what exists.

Quote:

I don't think anyone has 'gotta' appreciate anything. I do take your point though, to say it has no merit at all is quite unfair, but if that's his opinion, well that's that.
You probably wouldn't of said the same if Taipei 101 was replaced with ESB or Chrysler + same as above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
But haven't I expressed admiration for Turning Torso, Bank of China, and SWFC? (None of which are in Britain or America.) Yes, I think Taipei 101's horrible. I don't much like the Sears Tower either. There are ugly towers in all parts of the world.The hideous green glass, the gold medallion, etc. It's just utterly vile.Actually I never mentioned Jin Mao, and, for, what its worth, I rather like it. However it's no match for the SWFC.Only a handful. Most new towers look a dingy dull grey-green.
With Jin mao and SWFC, and i wouldn't say that SWFC completely outdoes Jin Mao. Jin Mao has a lot of things that SWFC doesn't have, the detail, the cultural influence, historical significance etc
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #774
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
You probably wouldn't of said the same if Taipei 101 was replaced with ESB or Chrysler + same as above
I dunno, I would hope that I would say the same, but I may have said different in the past.
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #775
ash7

Likes (Received): 101

BK is the greatest building that ever build but CB, ESB and PETRONAS is the best in their's era
ash7 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #776
Bruce.Tenmile

I'm looking forward to the 70s cup.
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #777
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
I admire the Chrysler Building, but this time I'll go with BK. Both are impressive structures, but unfortunately I can't vote for both.
Yeah me too. Just to bad some of us are a bit too sentimental to chose the one that really deserves (even though both towers are great) to win this one.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #778
ash7

Likes (Received): 101

Every one hav their own opinion...
ash7 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #779
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Yeah me too. Just to bad some of us are a bit too sentimental to chose the one that really deserves (even though both towers are great) to win this one.
Dude, how many times? I don't like the Burj much. You do. That's cool. Stop telling us we are only voting Chrysler due to sentimentality. I guess though I've probably fought fire with fire and said most are only voting for the Burj due to being in awe of it's height, so I haven't any leg to stand on.
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #780
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

It wasn't directly to you. But yeah you look like one of those voting out of sentimentality. No offence intended. It's just the impression I have.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote