daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #841
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc4 View Post
Yup, its lit up this way every nite...See it in person, when u stand beneath it between the two towers, you will see how beautiful it is...
i agree, also when you take a ride up genting, you are on the mountain looking down on the city and still see the two towers from kilometers away. its so beautiful.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #842
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

The Supertalls World Cup may have a small flaw.... During the set up, it should have been ensured that two towers from the same city/country could not end up in the final. How is that representative of the whole culture of SSC?

I seriously cannot get over how petty people are being in the BK vs Chrysler vote. It's not even a contest. BK is the greatest structure ever built by man. Full stop!
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #843
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face81 View Post
The Supertalls World Cup may have a small flaw.... During the set up, it should have been ensured that two towers from the same city/country could not end up in the final. How is that representative of the whole culture of SSC?

I seriously cannot get over how petty people are being in the BK vs Chrysler vote. It's not even a contest. BK is the greatest structure ever built by man. Full stop!
You surely mean greatest skyscraper ever built. In the scientific world there are far greater structures to behold. And don't get me wrong here, I voted for the BK.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #844
aismanggo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

aismanggo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #845
aismanggo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:

YES!100% agree with you!bk is superior than chrysler..this clearly show majority of the voters are among americans..dont take it wrong,i love america building and american,but there are plenty better building outside america..sorry..
aismanggo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #846
gooner86

Likes (Received): 58

vote petronas
gooner86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #847
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

i couldn't agree more. i strongly believe that the only reason the burj khalifa made it this far is simply because it is the tallest in the world.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #848
Face81

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
You surely mean greatest skyscraper ever built. In the scientific world there are far greater structures to behold. And don't get me wrong here, I voted for the BK.
I meant the greatest ever engineering feat by mankind
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #849
eyjafjallajokulls

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Well, "BK is the greatest structure ever built by man" for now, in the future, SA may come out will taller building . BTW, for the BK vs CB result, just get over it. The result will not be the same if it were organize in dubai forum or so on. Ppl from different country appreciate different building, I guess most of the voter in the forum are particular fond at CB or ESB for thousand of reason. That is their choice. And this is an english forum afterall and most voter are from a particular country, just do not expect alot of ppl share the same taste with you
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #850
Sebosim

Quote:
YES!100% agree with you!bk is superior than chrysler..this clearly show majority of the voters are among americans..
Yes that is why the burj won against the Sears Tower and this Building in Santiago
Sebosim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #851
Mindcrasher
Healesville Sanctuary

Likes (Received): 63

The choice is hard. Pre-war American art deco vs modern dynamic Eastern tigers...
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #852
Face81

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjafjallajokulls View Post
Well, "BK is the greatest structure ever built by man" for now
That's why we are voting in the present, not the past, or not day after tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjafjallajokulls View Post
The result will not be the same if it were organize in dubai forum or so on. And this is an english forum afterall and most voter are from a particular country
And if that is the case, then I will be really disappointed.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #853
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

Chrysler and the Empire state are by far my favorite existing Skyscrapers in the world, would be proud to see them both in the final .
The BK doesn't tell me anything, it's just the tallest building in the world and nothing else, wouldn't have been less impressing if it was half the height or twice the size.
PaulFCB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #854
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21136

Quote:
I meant the greatest ever engineering feat by mankind
I disagree. While it is the tallest structure, it wasn't the one presenting the greatest challenges at the time of its construction. No new vastly improved technique was used in the BK, only "more of the same" in relate to other 300-500m buildings. It doesn't even have special anti-seismic features.

I think excavating long tunnels lithe the Gotthard Base Tunnel are much more of challenge that pushes civil engineering forward. Or massive land reclamation projects like Osaka Airport.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #855
eyjafjallajokulls

Quote:

And if that is the case, then I will be really disappointed.

NO, there is no reason to be disappointed. The result of this competition does not mean a single thing to BK or any other building.., BK will still catch alot of ppl attention and so on. And the most important thing..., Contemporary or future supertall will still be evolve and will not looked back to the past!!!
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #856
Mindcrasher
Healesville Sanctuary

Likes (Received): 63

I personally voted Chrysler over BD and Petronas over ESB to preserve diversity.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #857
Face81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I disagree. While it is the tallest structure, it wasn't the one presenting the greatest challenges at the time of its construction. No new vastly improved technique was used in the BK, only "more of the same" in relate to other 300-500m buildings. It doesn't even have special anti-seismic features.

I think excavating long tunnels lithe the Gotthard Base Tunnel are much more of challenge that pushes civil engineering forward. Or massive land reclamation projects like Osaka Airport.
1) Titatium braces were used in the foundations to support the beast - first time that has ever been done

2) Anti seismic features? What did you want? A weight at the top? Technology has moved on and towers sway now. Besides, the UAE is in a seismically quiet neighbourhood

3) Land reclaimation and tunnels are feats, but they are not buildings/towers, which is what this contest is about.

Last edited by Face81; July 5th, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #858
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Calling the BK the "greatest engineering achievement of all time" is utterly ridiculous. Skyscrapers matured technologically nearly a century ago. They're just concrete and steel towers with lifts, floors, and windows attached. Mankind was already capable of building 100+ storey skyscrapers back in 1931. They actually built the ESB faster than modern towers, at one floor per day!

If you want cutting edge engineering, then look at microchips, nanotech, biotech, the arms industry, etc.

Even if the only things you admire are large scale civil engineering projects, there's no getting away from the fact that the largest bridges, tunnels, damns, roads, railways, oil platforms (etc), are vastly bigger in terms of cost and material, and much more challenging in terms of engineering.

Even if you confine the discussion to buildings, you'll find that airport terminals (to take but one example) are larger, more expensive, and more technologically sophisticated.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #859
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3206

Quote:
I wouldn't be against this, but if the jurors (voters) are in fact being honest in their comparisons then it shouldn't matter in which community/city/country the final 2, 4 or 8 structures reside, should it? I'm from the US but can think of 4 towers from China that could be deserving of claiming all final four spots if that's how the masses voted.

Quote:
I seriously cannot get over how petty people are being in the BK vs Chrysler vote.
Agreed. Maybe that wouldn't be the case if people would refrain from presumptive comments like:
Quote:
It's not even a contest. BK is the greatest structure ever built by man. Full stop!
Seriously, BK is a tremendous feat and I could understand why it might win this popularity contest (despite my voting against it two rounds in a row now), but such absolutist commentary is EXACTLY why this vote has been petty, contentious and childish. If that's how you feel, good for you and move on, but respect that others feel differently or we'll all end up grumpy in the end no matter which structure wins.
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #860
Face81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I wouldn't be against this, but if the jurors (voters) are in fact being honest in their comparisons then it shouldn't matter in which community/city/country the final 2, 4 or 8 structures reside, should it?
That's the problem, I don't think they are