daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #921
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Using A Computer View Post
a final match between esb and chrysler would be epic. hope to see it happen.
that'd be horrible.smh
Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
That would be very hard to conclude.. if what you say is true, Chrysler is not only receiving a lot of US nationalist votes, but also the SEA nationalist votes.
well they better come out in waves and vote for petronas..

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #922
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
It's likely that many Burj voters'll hold back until the last moment so there's no chance of Chrysler getting back.
There would be no point to that. It would only make it seem like someone is cheating again. I suggest you vote now if that is anyone's plan.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #923
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Did it occur to you that some of the people who voted for Burj against other supertalls would not vote for it over the Chrysler Building? Chrysler is the original supertall, and has been burned into my brain as the standard bearer for about 20 years (I'm almost 30, so not including my infancy by any means). Burj is amazing, but Chrysler is legendary. I can't even imagine the logistics of constructing a supertall in 1930.
Chrysler being the first doesn't matter at all, or shouldn't. Burj is legendary, its beaten so many records...or do we have to wait another 70 years for it to be considered legendary?
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #924
dyrryc

Likes (Received): 0

this is a great competition
dyrryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #925
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by đđeůx View Post
Chrysler being the first doesn't matter at all, or shouldn't. Burj is legendary, its beaten so many records...or do we have to wait another 70 years for it to be considered legendary?
Think about it this way. You get married, and you madly love your wife (Chrysler), and then 20 years later (for me at least) a stunning, almost unreal woman comes along (BK). However, nothing can change the way you feel about your wife.

Too many people grew up with Chrysler as our #1, and BK may be the flashy new kid on the block, but it will take perfection to change our minds. BK is an excellent, amazing tower, but to me falls just short enough of this perfection that I will continue to stick with the building I originally fell in love with... It has too big of a head start. I think BK's best chance to win this contest (in the future, probably) is if all the towers that are planned to overtake it in height fall through, and it has a long enough reign to become the definitive tower of this century. (or at least, decade?)

I have a giant skyscraper book from 1998, and Chrysler is on the cover. The old guard doesn't relinquish its title so easily. It's kind of like how people still say Babe Ruth was the greatest baseball player ever, even though most (all?) of his milestone statistics have been passed.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #926
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Stop all this bullshit.
You can't convince others to vote for that particular skyscraper, why bother arguing?

Last edited by lkiller123; July 6th, 2011 at 05:01 AM.
lkiller123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:14 AM   #927
jorg3_ignacio

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkiller123 View Post
Stop all this bullshit.
You can't convince others to vote for that particular skyscraper, why bother arguing?
Nobody was making offenses, just arguing, which does not have nothing wrong about it, and you come with "Stop all this Bullshit"
jorg3_ignacio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:17 AM   #928
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_us View Post
wrong thread to discuss about this!see,you also knew that al kazim copy chrysler,so,should chrysler win just because of the name?if based on the design,if chrysler win,that mean al kazim tower also should win in best skyscraper world cup!
Even if Al Kazim was an exact copy, which it isn't, the context and setting for that skyscraper is completely different. Which means there is no linear logic to your thinking.

If you fail to see that then I'm sorry... and have even less faith in the users of this board.
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #929
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by đđeůx View Post
So being first doesn't matter, even if that first creation enables the second?

Even by the slim margin of how BK may meet the literal definition of legendary, it hardly meets the spirit of the term. Despite the exaggerations of so many fans and enthusiasts many people outside architectural circles still don't yet know about the building, and we've yet to see it spend some time actually serving it's various roles as a hotel, event facility, etc. What if it gives way in a couple years? Or if it becomes rife with minor defects once fully occupied?

Yes it's broken records, and deserves recognition for that, but I didn't realize height was the main/only criteria. The cast of TV's Glee has set records for music sales recently. Does that make them the best pop music act of all time?
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #930
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21058

As far as I understood, the towers were seeded according to their height. Hence, in the first round, for instance, Burj Khalifa (highest among the 64 entering the contest) was pared with Costanera Center (lowest). Abraj Al Bait, second highest, was pared in the opposite bracket with the second lowest, City of Capitals.

Fair and transparent criteria.
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #931
patchay

Likes (Received): 1521

As I said and would say again:

The elimination of Petronas and Burj is a huge disgrace to modern architects and modern engineers of our era.

So much for the advancements, but turns out to be an embarassment when comparing to the classic Chrysler and ESB.

(Btw I see people are confused to vote for historical relationship and modernity/current time achievements. If so, I would rather vote Eiffel Tower as the best supertall as it is the most iconic recognised landmark.)

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #932
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22539

Any disgrace is nonsense. A modern masterpiece losing to a classic masterpiece should not be an embarrassment. In the end they're both masterpieces. It may not be considered the best by the majority, but at the same time it is also considered awesome by the majority. So why would it be an embarrassment or a disgrace? All four of these awesome skyscrapers made it to the final four, but only one may be the best. But that will be determined later...

Last edited by Hudson11; July 6th, 2011 at 07:18 AM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #933
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4296

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchay View Post
As I said and would say again:

The elimination of Petronas and Burj is a huge disgrace to modern architects and modern engineers of our era.

So much for the advancements, but turns out to be an embarassment when comparing to the classic Chrysler and ESB.

(Btw I see people are confused to vote for historical relationship and modernity/current time achievements. If so, I would rather vote Eiffel Tower as the best supertall as it is the most iconic recognised landmark.)
+1 It's like camparing

VS

Last edited by World 2 World; July 6th, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #934
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by World 2 World View Post
+1 It's like camparing

VS

that was a stupid comparison.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #935
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

LOL.
Chrysler (classic) vs BK (modern) is like

vs

And btw I voted for BK!
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #936
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
Well you didn't, though I suspect you are annoyed that the Burj is losing, so I felt you were directing your comments at those who voted for the Chrysler.
Your suspicions are incorrect and that sort of inflammatory commentary is what the problem is. So many people are being far too petty and as a result, the outcome of the contest will be skewed.
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #937
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

I did say sorry, but I think you'll find it's the actual cheating, rather than the accusations and suspicions of cheating that has ruined the competition. Just sayin'.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #938
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

I'd say it was an equal mix of the two.
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #940
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

just my opinion

*hard to find full pic on full chysler,maybe the only attractive value on chysler is the crown.others out
*empire state is really historical building,good proportion ..but it spire is mess
*petronas tower is nice,it have chance to win this,its very eye catchy
*burj khalifa,too much people hate it,i dont know why,but its truly best human achievement
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote