daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #941
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

Sweet, sweet Jesus, dude. You ranked Petronas above ESB in iconic AND historic context.

Get a life.

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #942
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2206 View Post
image hosted on flickr
[/url]
The two towers by grantthai, on Flickr
I've not been a huge fan in the past, but the image alone has made me think again. It's not my favourite still, but it is very nice.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #943
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

very nice cladding

empire state building cladding
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #944
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
very nice cladding

empire state building cladding
Similarly.....

Here's the Burj Khalifa cladding....

And here's the Chrysler cladding....

The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #945
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike____ View Post
its about the building not location.and even then the location of the Chrysler is IMO better, NY has at least urbanity and density, and yes more class instead of kitsch like dubai. and stop whining like a dubai-lover.
If it really is about the building and not the location, why on hell do you keep referring to the location more then anything else, even in this very post?

PS: Plus, from your post history in this forum, is dead-obvious that it IS indeed about the location and not the building itself.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #946
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
LOL.
Chrysler (classic) vs BK (modern) is like

vs

And btw I voted for BK!
There is not much classic about that Rolex. Check what it says under the brand name. There was nothing like that decades ago. Actually I would consider a perpetual mechanism, more high-tech then a simple quartz watch
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #947
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
just my opinion

*hard to find full pic on full chysler,maybe the only attractive value on chysler is the crown.others out
*empire state is really historical building,good proportion ..but it spire is mess
*petronas tower is nice,it have chance to win this,its very eye catchy
*burj khalifa,too much people hate it,i dont know why,but its truly best human achievement
So many things wrong with this, were to begin?...

I'll give you design, because that's an opinion. And hi-tech is probably about right.

But come on. You ranked ESB AND Chrysler below Petronas on iconic value? Go down any street in any city in the world, and ask people to name a skyscraper. I am certain that almost every answer will be "Empire State Building" or "Chrysler Building".

To be honest, a lot of people out there that don't give a damn about buildings like we do still think the Empire State Building is that tallest in the world.

I don't know much about the history, but I'd say Burj Khalifa doesn't have much history behind it seeing as it's so new, so I'd probably rank that a bit lower.

And lastly, how can you give ESB an 8 on location but Chrysler anything different? They're within what? Half a mile of each other for Christ's sake
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #948
eyjafjallajokulls

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
To be honest, a lot of people out there that don't give a damn about buildings like we do still think the Empire State Building is that tallest in the world.
There is one word to describe those people. "IGNORANCE". Seriously, ESB has not been the tallest building more than a decade ago.
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #949
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Yes I know that. ESB hasn't been tallest for 40 years now. But you have to realize, a lot of people out there don't care for skyscrapers and architecture like we do. I do agree it's ignorance, but not in a bad sense.

But for me, it's awesome. I love talking to my friends that don't know about architecture, and they'll ask me something like "How tall is the Empire State Building?" and I tell them. Then I open up SSP and show them the comparison diagrams and when they see the Burj Khalifa, their jaw drops.

It brings a smile to my face
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #950
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by World 2 World View Post
+1 It's like camparing

VS

That's the funniest thing I've seen for a while. Just stop embarrassing yourself here.

Seriously, you guys are so biased.

My comparison:
image hosted on flickr

_N207239 copy.jpg by mingthein, on Flickr
vs
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #951
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
So many things wrong with this, were to begin?...

I'll give you design, because that's an opinion. And hi-tech is probably about right.

But come on. You ranked ESB AND Chrysler below Petronas on iconic value?

Go down any street in any city in the world, and ask people to name a skyscraper. I am certain that almost every answer will be "Empire State Building" or "Chrysler Building".

I don't know much about the history, but I'd say Burj Khalifa doesn't have much history behind it seeing as it's so new, so I'd probably rank that a bit lower.

And lastly, how can you give ESB an 8 on location but Chrysler anything different? They're within what? Half a mile of each other for Christ's sake
petronas twin tower is more iconic(my opinion)because its two,and if u see this on outline photo,it very easy to recognize. the cladding is very original and its have a very famous skybridge..i bet not all asian know about chysler..esb is quiet famous,but its still behind petronas tower,(most popular building in asia,every one know about it,its a mark of rising asia,it touch every asia people).

u should go to china(beijing,shanghai)they dont even know about chysler or esb..

history i mean is not how old is the building because they are not in same era,historical value is like how they breaking old record and make a history,example,the tallest building on earth,a tallest structure in the world,a fastest train in the word,

yup,esb look ok in newyork but chysler look out of place,its look weird when see a that building in newyork,very out of place,the crown is to much for newyork square brick building
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #952
nikita123
BANNED

- edit
nikita123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #953
ben_23
BANNED

Quote:
history i mean is not how old is the building because they are not in same era,historical value is like how they breaking old record and make a history,example,the tallest building on earth,a tallest structure in the world,a fastest train in the word,
did you mean achievement value?
ben_23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #954
ben_23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjafjallajokulls View Post
There is one word to describe those people. "IGNORANCE". Seriously, ESB has not been the tallest building more than a decade ago.
it also call egoist
ben_23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #955
Bruce.Tenmile

How are some people not understanding this: Not everyone knows about skyscrapers. It's not ignorant. It's not egotistical. The ESB was the tallest for a long time. Why should anybody know that it isn't any more? Everyone is interested in different things. If you didn't know what the highest grossing movie of all time was, would you be ignorant? If you didn't know what the largest animal on earth was, would you be ignorant? No, you would just be uninterested in those fields.
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #956
eyjafjallajokulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
How are some people not understanding this: Not everyone knows about skyscrapers. It's not ignorant. It's not egotistical. The ESB was the tallest for a long time. Why should anybody know that it isn't any more? Everyone is interested in different things. If you didn't know what the highest grossing movie of all time was, would you be ignorant? If you didn't know what the largest animal on earth was, would you be ignorant? No, you would just be uninterested in those fields.
Your ignorance are at its best. Seriously. When people talk about taiwan or taipeh, ppl will link it to taipei101 which is tallest building in to world once it was. YOu don't need to be an architect or skyscraper fans to know those. Its has been 4 decade as mentioned above ESB has not been the tallest building. For you, there is only one world and the world is the country you are reside in. And its sad to tell you that there is no cure for those ppl choose to be ignorance.
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #957
Bruce.Tenmile

I don't reside in the US, so there.

I think you'll find that most people in the world probably couldn't even name the capital of Taiwan as Taipei, let alone the Taipei 101. I know we are all massive skyscraper fans, but we shouldn't fool ourselves. Most people don't know what we know. Skyscrapers aren't a big part of society. You don't have advertisements on buses and on TV for them when a new one is completed. Unless you live in the city or maybe the country, most towers will go unnoticed by the world at large. The Burj has had the most press for a building in a long long time, and still, I'm sure not everyone would know it.

I know it annoys you, but a lot of people probably couldn't name any skyscraper at all, and most of those that can, will invariably name the ESB or Chrysler, or maybe the Twin Towers.

It's not ignorant for the majority of the world to not know what we know.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; July 6th, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #958
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Think about it this way. You get married, and you madly love your wife (Chrysler), and then 20 years later (for me at least) a stunning, almost unreal woman comes along (BK). However, nothing can change the way you feel about your wife.

Too many people grew up with Chrysler as our #1, and BK may be the flashy new kid on the block, but it will take perfection to change our minds. BK is an excellent, amazing tower, but to me falls just short enough of this perfection that I will continue to stick with the building I originally fell in love with... It has too big of a head start. I think BK's best chance to win this contest (in the future, probably) is if all the towers that are planned to overtake it in height fall through, and it has a long enough reign to become the definitive tower of this century. (or at least, decade?)

I have a giant skyscraper book from 1998, and Chrysler is on the cover. The old guard doesn't relinquish its title so easily. It's kind of like how people still say Babe Ruth was the greatest baseball player ever, even though most (all?) of his milestone statistics have been passed.
Good point, but in my opinion not many people were married to chrysler to begin with, or were even alive when it was the tallest (I'm talking about the nearly 2 billion people born over the last two decades). I, for sure, haven't been alive for over 2 decades so maybe what you say about BK being flashy to the new kid on the block can be applied to me. I just am not that attached to Chrysler, always preferred ESB to it honestly. It seemed like the 'second 'scraper' to ESB.

I'm sure BK will be king for a decade. Petronas wasn't at the top that long before Taipei 101 took over, and then BK came and stripped that title from it. But, I don't see any buildings in planning or u/c planning to be taller than BK as of now. Maybe one will come up in a few years, but even then I'm sure BK will have 10 years at the top.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #959
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
Here is an example to expand on this a little bit... I am an American, and most people I know don't even realize that the Freedom Tower is under construction, let alone ~900' high and counting!

People research what they are interested in. Just because somebody does not know everything that somebody else knows, it does not make them ignorant. There is always a "vice-versa". If I posted on a car forum I would probably become the butt of every joke on there. I watched some guy win 5 straight Jeopardy's, and then lose because he didn't know who won the Superbowl THAT YEAR! (New Orleans) Just because I happen to be a sports fan too, doesn't mean I have what it takes to be a 5 time Jeopardy champion...
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #960
Bruce.Tenmile

Thanx for backing me up. Though just to be clear, 'cos you said about posting on a car forum and not knowing about cars, I do know about skyscrapers, those guys totally got the wrong end of the stick.