daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #961
eyjafjallajokulls

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Here is an example to expand on this a little bit... I am an American, and most people I know don't even realize that the Freedom Tower is under construction, let alone ~900' high and counting!

People research what they are interested in. Just because somebody does not know everything that somebody else knows, it does not make them ignorant. There is always a "vice-versa". If I posted on a car forum I would probably become the butt of every joke on there. I watched some guy win 5 straight Jeopardy's, and then lose because he didn't know who won the Superbowl THAT YEAR! (New Orleans) Just because I happen to be a sports fan too, doesn't mean I have what it takes to be a 5 time Jeopardy champion...
Well, to both of you, If you seriously insist that someone know that ESB is the highest building in the world and in the last 4 decade, they dont even bother to know what happen to the other side of the world. I do really mean 4 decade!! if that is not consider ignorance to you. So be it. Like I have said before, If people choose to know ESB is the tallest long time ago, and choose not to know what happen to the other side of the world, No one can stop them to be ignorance.
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #962
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

It's not just about being ignorant of the other side of the world, many wouldn't have heard of the Sears Tower, and many might not know that the WTC towers were taller than the ESB. WE know it's been nearly 4 decades, but most won't.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #963
Renna Hazel

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjafjallajokulls View Post
Well, to both of you, If you seriously insist that someone know that ESB is the highest building in the world and in the last 4 decade, they dont even bother to know what happen to the other side of the world. I do really mean 4 decade!! if that is not consider ignorance to you. So be it. Like I have said before, If people choose to know ESB is the tallest long time ago, and choose not to know what happen to the other side of the world, No one can stop them to be ignorance.
The thing isn't that they don't know, they just don't care, so they name the most iconic skyscraper they can. It is ignorance but not necessarily in a bad way. No one knows everything, we all have our hobbies and interests and we shall excel in those areas in terms of knowledge. There are plenty of people out there that simply don't care about skyscrpaers, but they know King Kong climbed the ESB, it must be the tallest.

As for you evident attacks against Americans and not know about the rest of the world, it's not so much that as it is they don't know about skyscrapers. Plenty of people think the ESB is taller than the Willis Tower just because one is more iconic. Don't make it into a national thing and start insulting people over it.
Renna Hazel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #964
eyjafjallajokulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renna Hazel View Post
The thing isn't that they don't know, they just don't care, so they name the most iconic skyscraper they can. It is ignorance but not necessarily in a bad way. No one knows everything, we all have our hobbies and interests and we shall excel in those areas in terms of knowledge. There are plenty of people out there that simply don't care about skyscrpaers, but they know King Kong climbed the ESB, it must be the tallest.

As for you evident attacks against Americans and not know about the rest of the world, it's not so much that as it is they don't know about skyscrapers. Plenty of people think the ESB is taller than the Willis Tower just because one is more iconic. Don't make it into a national thing and start insulting people over it.
I appologize if I indirectly attack against ppl from a particular country. The point I bring out is just my personal opinion. No one need to be agree with me.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #965
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjafjallajokulls

Those people did not "choose" to learn it. They simply don't know about the others... The ESB is simply too iconic to begin with. Even in the popular culture.

Calling them ignorant just because they don't know what you know is too harsh. Ask yourself, is it okay to call you ignorant because your grammar totally sucked on your posts?
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #966
eyjafjallajokulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkiller123 View Post
Those people did not "choose" to learn it. They simply don't know about the others... The ESB is simply too iconic to begin with. Even in the popular culture.

Calling them ignorant just because they don't know what you know is too harsh. Ask yourself, is it okay to call you ignorant because your grammar totally sucked on your posts?

fair enough, its the difference the lvl of ignorance which is acceptable to everyone. I am perfectly fine for you to call me ignorant if you think that my english grammer is below your acceptable level. But english proficiency/grammer shouldn't be bring into this scraper forum discussion in the first place.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #967
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjafjallajokulls View Post
The crux of my argument was more towards people's ignorance/indifference to this topic in general, not specifically just people who might believe ESB is the highest. I think many don't, but most could not tell you what the highest actually is.

The thing with cities though, it seems like "the future is now". Many of them are building so many large, futuristic towers, and getting completely sci-fi looking skylines, but most of it has been over the past few years. With skyscrapers, barring some catastrophe, cities only get bigger, and most of the general public does not realize the breakneck speed with which things are occurring if it is not in their own city (many don't even know that). Think about what so many of these huge skylines looked like just 5 years ago, and what they are expected to look like in the next 5 years. The out-of-control-in-an-awesome-way-skyscraper-boom that is going on is such a recent phenomenon, that most people have still never heard of newer towers that we would all consider to be iconic. Like with all things, give it time. I myself am "educating" many of my friends who otherwise would be oblivious.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 03:49 AM   #968
Aztecgoddess
Sui Generis

Likes (Received): 942

Im so proud of Chrysler building

Quite a boring person

Aztecgoddess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #969
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Most of the ppl I know, don't know what the world tallest building is. I show it to them and they still don't give a damn. Some ppl just have better things to do.
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #970
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #971
Bricken Ridge

Likes (Received): 15

looking at the spires alone, Chrysler wins by a mile.
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #972
Jonipoon
BANNED

Likes (Received): 21

While Chrysler is an amazing piece of art which has influenced skyscrapers and architecture for decades, this "ain't yo mommas competition". Building skycrapers is about looking into the future and be part of it. BK is a pile of art which will influence the world in the coming decades, mark my words. People who say "BK will be long forgotten in 20 years when its surpassed by another supertall" are being completely retarted. Don't be so sure, BK way hold the world title as the tallest building for longer than we think. It's about looking into the future guys, and if you vote for Chrysler because of its history you are failing hard.

When it comes to Petronas and ESB, I don't really have much to say. They are both pretty equal and are symbols for economy, power and greatness. But when it comes to architectual symbolism I think Petronas is a clear winner. ESB is just classic Manhattanism, while Petronas takes inspiration from several Asian countries' traditional architecture.
Jonipoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #973
Bruce.Tenmile

No one, unless they are voting for the country and not for this building, is 'failing hard'. Everyone likes what they like, and has the right to vote for what they like, regardless of reasoning. You think the Burj is a 'pile of art'. It's interesting that you use such an odd term, as many would call it a pile of something else...

We all have our own opinions.
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #974
Jonipoon
BANNED

Likes (Received): 21

True, but remember: The thing that anyone can vote isn't always a good thing.
Jonipoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #975
Bruce.Tenmile

Well I think in this instance it is. This contest is to find which building the users of SSC like most. There are countless awards given to the best as judged by experts, and several lists compiled through votes from the public. We are the middle ground; informed, but not to a scholarly degree. As long as people vote for the actual building and not the city, alls well.
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #976
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

The Burj Khalifa rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyaman View Post
BURJ KHALIFA

At over 828 meters (2,716.5 feet) and more than 160 stories, Burj Khalifa is tallest building and free-standing structure in the world. The Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat has established 3 criteria to determine what makes a building tall. Burj Khalifa wins by far in all three categories: height to architectural top, highest occupied floor and height to tip.

Quote:
Outside the tower is a lagoon

Quote:
Within the lagoon is Dubai Fountain. At a cost of $217 million, Dubai Fountain is illuminated by 6,600 lights and 50 colored projectors. It is 275 meters long and shots water 150 meters into the air, accompanied by a range of classical to contemporary Arabic and world music.

Quote:
Once again... the Burj Khalifa... in its shining glory

Quote:
NEW YEAR'S EVE with BURJ KHALIFA

Quote:
Lights off...

Quote:
Lights on!

Quote:
Up close...

The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]

Last edited by Face81; July 7th, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #977
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

To people who voted for Chrysler, seriously, dont you feel sorry for your conscience after seeing these pics?
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #978
Bruce.Tenmile

Can one feel sorry for one's conscience? No I certainly don't. I just don't like the Burj. Why can't you people deal with the thought that some just don't agree with you?
Old July 7th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #979
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

The Chrysler CANNOT beat that cladding
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #980
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
Can one feel sorry for one's conscience? No I certainly don't. I just don't like the Burj. Why can't you people deal with the thought that some just don't agree with you?
You are just thinking by heart not rationale.

Edit.. its ok to dislike the burj, there are also a lot of people who dislike Ferraris because they can not afford one
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote