daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #1041
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

With Apologies to HK999 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myf282828 View Post
perhaps you have not been to HK. HK has 3000+ buildings with heights over 90 meters while NYC has less than 900. Please check link below.

And if you tabulate, total of buildings from 2nd to 5th still less than HK alone. NYC is far behind.
80% of the buildings in that category are 30 story commie blocks.

Are all of Hong Kong's skyscrapers crammed into two giant financial districts? The answer is no.

Midtown Manhattan is still the largest skyscraper cluster in the world.

COUNT EM

www.flyinphilsphotos.com

Last edited by Uaarkson; July 8th, 2011 at 08:11 AM.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #1042
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1958

you aren't helping the matter....
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #1043
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post

Are all of Hong Kong's skyscrapers crammed into two giant financial districts? The answer is no.

Midtown Manhattan is still the largest skyscraper cluster in the world.

COUNT EM

www.flyinphilsphotos.com
wow. that photo is amazing, and it shows only part of NY's massive collection of skyscrapers.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #1044
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

i kinda prefer chicago over new yorks skyline
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #1045
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post

Even though I am from Hong Kong, I am arguing based on the numbers.

According to this CTBUH article, Hong Kong has 2354 buildings above 100 meters while New York City has 725 buildings above 100 meters. And according to this CTBUH graph, Hong Kong has 277 buildings over 150 meters, most in the world.

Counting the "30-meter commie blocks," there are a total of 7687 buildings in Hong Kong (including those 2354) according to Emporis.com, who serves as the database for CTBUH. That leaves to 5333 buildings below 100m, which is 70% of the total skyscraper figure of Hong Kong.

Also, there is only one CBD in Hong Kong.

Now that I got the facts straight, there is no point in arguing. Stunning pictures, by the way.
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #1046
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Quote:
Hong Kong has 277 buildings over 150 meters, most in the world.
I'd be curious to know where shanghai ranks, and if it'd overtake HK in total buildings over 150m someday..but that's a topic for another day.

how many supertalls does HK have? Just 3 right? Two IFC, BoC, and ICC.
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #1047
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

6 ur missing the center nina and central plaza
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #1048
Gasgino

Likes (Received): 3

You miss The Center, Nina Tower And Central Plaza.
Gasgino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #1049
lkiller123
oh yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by đđeůx View Post
I'd be curious to know where shanghai ranks, and if it'd overtake HK in total buildings over 150m someday..but that's a topic for another day.

how many supertalls does HK have? Just 3 right? Two IFC, BoC, and ICC.
Shanghai is much farther behind with only 112 buildings over 150m.

And yeah, Hong Kong has 6 supertalls. One Island East comes REALLY close at 298 meters. There won't be another supertall for HK in the foreseeable future.
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #1050
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkiller123 View Post
Shanghai is much farther behind with only 112 buildings over 150m.

And yeah, Hong Kong has 6 supertalls. One Island East comes REALLY close at 298 meters. There won't be another supertall for HK in the foreseeable future.
.....it's a constant race, HK gotta stay on top especially with mainland cities rising (but imo they have a long ways to go to overtake HK)! and...are you cheering to that?
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #1051
hkranger

Likes (Received): 0

Extremely tall skyscrapers tend to bring out the nationalist in people, as they are seen as symbols of a country's success. But actually they're more a reflection of unrestrained greed and a signal of impending financial disaster. The building of each of the four finalists signalled the bursting of the some of the biggest bubbles in history. Cheers!

Chrysler Building and Empire State Building were completed 1930-1931, following the Roaring Twenties and coinciding with the start of the decade long Great Depression.

Petronas Towers was completed in 1998 during the Asian financial crisis, which began the year earlier and ended the dominance of the so-called Asian Tiger economies. Malaysia entered its first recession for a long time that year.

Burj Khalifa - 2009 - during the global financial crisis and amid a crash in property prices in Dubai.

Is it any coincidence that the world's tallest skyscrapers are being built in China?
hkranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #1052
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

lol probably coincidential but that is a very interesting piece of information.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #1053
myf282828
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

@Uaarkson, have you seen these?? IF you want to compare american cities, I Chicago better, not NYC.

And fyi, I have been all these cities as mentioned thus I can give my opinion.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
myf282828 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #1054
lkiller123
oh yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??eux

.....it's a constant race, HK gotta stay on top especially with mainland cities rising (but imo they have a long ways to go to overtake HK)! and...are you cheering to that?
Unless something dramatic is happening in hong kong, I don't think that glad will build another tallest. But I am very certain that the number of skyscrapers will continue to grow. It will keep its title as the city with the most skyscrapers for another few decades,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkranger
Extremely tall skyscrapers tend to bring out the nationalist in people, as they are seen as symbols of a country's success. But actually they're more a reflection of unrestrained greed and a signal of impending financial disaster. The building of each of the four finalists signalled the bursting of the some of the biggest bubbles in history. Cheers!

Chrysler Building and Empire State Building were completed 1930-1931, following the Roaring Twenties and coinciding with the start of the decade long Great Depression.

Petronas Towers was completed in 1998 during the Asian financial crisis, which began the year earlier and ended the dominance of the so-called Asian Tiger economies. Malaysia entered its first recession for a long time that year.

Burj Khalifa - 2009 - during the global financial crisis and amid a crash in property prices in Dubai.

Is it any coincidence that the world's tallest skyscrapers are being built in China?
How about the sears and the wtc twins.?
Old July 8th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #1055
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

they didn't represent something significant, so he left it out

The actually tall skyscrapers are being built in dubai not china.
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #1056
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

That's not really true. There a a few 400m ones nearing completion in Dubai, and the Pentominium is getting going, but there are 500m and 600m towers starting construction in lots of Chinese cities.

I agree though that the argument was flawed and stuff was left out where it didn't fit.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #1057
hkranger

the argument is pretty sound and hardly mine: the credit and the will/ego to build the world's tallest buildings usually come from a bubble when there's a crazy amount of capital available - the buildings themselves are often unprofitable for a long time - ie Empire State Building. Look at Burj Khalifa - Dubai changed the name of the building after being bailed out by Abu Dhabi because the sheikhdom couldn't pay its debts after the property bubble burst.

I just focused on the four finalists but there are plenty of other examples. Groundbreaking for WTC started in 1966 following an almost two decade bull market in US stocks and the buildings opened in 1970-1972, just in time for a stock market crash - the Dow dropped 45% in the next two years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973%E2...k_market_crash

If you ignore the Burj, then the world's tallest skyscrapers are all being built in China. Look at the number of Chinese cities you've never heard of in the Supertall section
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1058
Bruce.Tenmile

I do believe though that the ESB was entirely constructed after the market crash, and during the depression, a time when I would have thought that very little capital was available. That's really the only thing I could even try and refute, the rest I'll take your word for.
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #1059
hkranger

don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of skyscrapers - I just think people shouldn't get too nationalistic over them....
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #1060
Bruce.Tenmile

Oh no, they really shouldn't. It's very silly, but it's easy for me to say that because I don't love my country. Like, just not love.