daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #1301
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Yeah, I 'wanna said' that. I think from up close, the Chrysler's cladding is way nicer. I can see you still can't head your head around this opinion thing.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #1302
michaelalive
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Chrysler bldg is bound to be champion
michaelalive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #1303
Gasgino

Likes (Received): 3

I think there's something wrong with the poll. Chrysler seems to have some extra vote if counting the name of voters. But still Chrysler lead with a slight margin.
Gasgino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #1304
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8365

now the conspiracies again? c'mon guys, that a slithly over 300m, very old skyscraper wins the 2011 cup is because we cant have nice things and most people seem to prefer it over new architecture and tall buildings. its no conspiracy
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #1305
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
Yeah, I 'wanna said' that. I think from up close, the Chrysler's cladding is way nicer. I can see you still can't head your head around this opinion thing.
i respect your opinion but to say chrysler is better then petronas is like saying flies is beatiful then buttterfly,its is to much,but i still love the crown n eagle..
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #1306

Likes (Received): 1811

beautifulll.....arhhhhhhh

2206 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #1307

image hosted on flickr

Petronas Twin Towers, Kuala Lumpur by Christopher Chan, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Towering Over by steven_jj, on Flickr
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #1308

need artdeco?
creatively shown during night
image hosted on flickr

Kuala Lumpur City Center 21 by euroschmau, on Flickr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petronas_Towers
Designed by Argentine architects César Pelli and Djay Cerico under the consultancy of Julius Gold and Filipino engineer Domingo Basa, the Petronas Towers were completed in 1998 after a seven year build and became the tallest buildings in the world on the date of completion. They were built on the site of Kuala Lumpur's race track. Because of the depth of the bedrock, the buildings were built on the world's deepest foundations.The 120-meter foundations were built within 12 months by Bachy Soletanche and required massive amounts of concrete.Its engineering designs on structural framework were contributed by Haitian engineer Domo Obiasse and colleagues Aris Battista and Princess D Battista.

The 88-floor towers are constructed largely of reinforced concrete, with a steel and glass facade designed to resemble motifs found in Islamic art, a reflection of Malaysia's Muslim religion. Another Islamic influence on the design is that the cross section of the towers is based on a Rub el Hizb, albeit with circular sectors added to meet office space requirements.

Tower 1, the west tower (right in the top-right photograph) was built by a Japanese consortium led by the Hazama Corporation while Tower 2, the east tower (left in the top-right photograph) was built by Samsung C&T and Kukdong Engineering & Construction, both South Korean contractors.[citation needed] The sky bridge contract was completed by Kukdong Engineering & Construction. Tower 2 became the first to reach the world's tallest building at the time.

Due to a lack of steel and the huge cost of importing steel, the towers were constructed on a cheaper radical design of super high-strength reinforced concrete.[18] High-strength concrete is a material familiar to Asian contractors and twice as effective as steel in sway reduction; however, it makes the building twice as heavy on its foundation than a comparable steel building. Supported by 23-by-23 metre concrete cores[19] and an outer ring of widely spaced super columns, the towers use a sophisticated structural system that accommodates its slender profile and provides 560,000 square metres of column-free office space.[20] Below the twin towers is Suria KLCC, a shopping mall, and Dewan Filharmonik Petronas, the home of the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra.

Other buildings have used spires to increase their height but have always been taller overall to the pinnacle when trying to claim the title. In the aftermath of the controversy, the rules governing official titles were partially overhauled, and a number of buildings re-classified structural antenna as architectural details to boost their height rating even though nothing was actually done to the building.

Last edited by 2206; July 15th, 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #1309
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
i respect your opinion but to say chrysler is better then petronas is like saying flies is beatiful then buttterfly,its is to much,but i still love the crown n eagle..
Well you still think I'm objectively wrong. That's not respect.

That analogy is entirely based on the fact that you prefer the Petronas. I wouldn't flip it round the other way exactly, because I don't dislike the Petronas, but my analogy might be that the Chrysler to me is a butterfly, and the Petronas is a moth. The moth looks just as nice from afar, but up close, I just don't like it as much. You are the one with the extreme view that the Chrysler or at least it's cladding is not at all nice. It's far more balanced for me.

Please don't call me wrong again.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; July 15th, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #1310
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3241

Serious question to those so adamantly for Petronas or against Chrsyler: How much of it has to do with the smoothness of the cladding?

There seems to be a pervailing sense among the ardent fans of modern buildings that "the more glass, the better!" And where glass can't be used, something like aluminum (or some other alloy) tiles should complete the bulk of the exterior. It's almost as if the division in tastes mirrors the evolution of building materials, where many younger enthusiasts probably can't fathom working with significant amounts of masonry.

Am I on to anything here?
Old July 15th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #1311
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 16430

I think the voting perfectly reflects that both are great buildings and a representative of an era and a continent. Even the differences between the two, sometimes vigorously pointed out in this thread by some, really are similarities. As such both already are winners as far as I am concerned. I honestly wouldn't know which one I would pick.
Jan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #1312
RubenT

Likes (Received): 251

It was a though one, but I voted for CB. It has such an iconic design (I love Art Deco), executed in very nice materials (brick facade, stainless steel top, and the stone of the entrance).

Petronas Towers also has this iconic design, but the materials used don't really appeal to me. Glass, glass, glass... Great buiding nevertheless, just not as great as CB in my opinion
RubenT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #1313
the ro0ok

Likes (Received): 46

Petronas Towers it the best
Old July 15th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #1314

so seem likes boxy brick facade more interesting than futuristic steel?

image hosted on flickr

[email protected] HDR by LordBYTE™ [ [ - | - ] ], on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

20071124_Flickr_03 by pjfncs27, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/musapix/2892854954/
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

still there? @ KLCC by zulhamli, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sascha_tgl/5723703592/
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by 2206; July 15th, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old July 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #1315
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

I don't like the Chrysler that much and i'm from new York City. I think it looks really run-down unless you look at it far away. I also think Petronas cladding is really ugly up close.

But I think petronas is prettiest overall (lol), so I voted for that.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #1316
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2206 View Post
so seem likes boxy brick facade more interesting than futuristic steel?
[
Chrysler is constructed from high-quality limestone and steel.

Everybody who has voted for Chrysler tends to be respectful towards Petronas. Many of you Petronas lovers are completely delusional towards Chrysler though... guy4versa comparing it to a fly, fayzoon calling it "shittt", harry·chao calling everybody who voted for Chrysler a "bunch of losers". I mean, wtf guys?! Are you all children or something? Anybody here over 25 will tell you that they were uber-familiar with Chrysler before Petronas was even built. I guess it takes a child to be so disrespectful towards something though.

Forget that Chrysler was built in 1930 (beginning of great depression, before nazi's tried to rule the earth... that's a long time ago!) because old must be shit according to some of you (not most)... Forget the fact that many of us grew up with this tower as our favorites, long before this new supertall boom (which admittedly was rekindled by Petronas). We must all be wrong for not accepting that newer is better, and we must all be lead to believe that Chrysler is made of the same shit materials as a dilapidated "commie-block" or whatever. Well, none of that is true. Back whichever building you choose, but don't post mis-information about the opposing tower.

If Chrysler is shit, then so are Petronas because you can see that Chrysler was at least one of the inspirations for these towers...
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #1317

CB 774 vs 775 PTT
(as posted time)

p/s: i should reverse the banner
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #1318
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

how do we vote ?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote