daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2011, 06:17 AM   #1401
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2713

I don't hate the PT, but in my personal taste, it's one of those buildings that tried so hard and ended up overdoing it. The Chrysler Building is 5x more iconic than the PT will ever be. And that's a matter of fact. After all this time we're still talking about and referring back to the CB. Will be doing the same for the PT? No, we will not.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #1402
Barian_Boy
The Last Auror

Likes (Received): 6

To me Petronas is just one beautiful complex (a nice mixture of islamic and modern architecture) and nothing more while Chrysler is...i dont know, on a different level.

Btw, I really dont appreciate the ugly role that racism is playing in the tournament.
Barian_Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #1403
eyjafjallajokulls

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by [{x}] View Post
Actually, there are a lot of Americans who voted Petronas, but I bet there's not a single Indonesian who would even consider voting Chrysler.

It's nationalism, pure and simple...if it is in their country, or built by "Asians" () or whatever, they're going to vote for it, whereas we Westerners are more open-minded and are (mostly) above such petty things. We had our "nationalist" phase back in the 1800s and early 1900s; we've advanced beyond that now.

I think it's completely ridiculous how Indonesians consider Petronas a "Symbol of Malaysia" or Asia or whatever.

1) Get your own Architect
2) Get your own Structural Engineers
3) Don't use American engineering & design ingenuity, and then bash their buildings as being "ugly" in clearly nationalistic overtones on fun but essentially meaningless forum competitions

Want to see some REAL Asian skyscrapers?

1) Central Plaza, Hong Kong
2) Taipei 101
3) Bank of China

Personally, I think all three are extremely ugly (but Taipei is definitely better than the other two). I mean, just look at Central Plaza...and BoC is a gimmick trying to pass itself off as art.

To me, that (and the fact that about 85% of all skyscraper currently under construction in the world are being designed/engineered by Europeans & Americans) tells me everything I need to know. But I guess the Indonesians here are having too much fun cheerleading the ultra-kitsch Petronas and bashing REAL art

lol.. Base on your reply and some "neutral voter" claim Kuala Lumpur is just a small city and whateva vs NYC... I really can't expect any "neutral vote" in this competition, there is too much voter like you in this forum. Its getting annoying see your reply a few times claiming this and that tower are design by some designer from the other country, this is the building competition, Not who design it or whatever.. Please stop it, your are embarrassing yourself here.
eyjafjallajokulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #1404
angel_us
BANNED

agree with you!
angel_us no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #1405
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjafjallajokulls View Post
lol.. Base on your reply and some "neutral voter" claim Kuala Lumpur is just a small city and whateva vs NYC... I really can't expect any "neutral vote" in this competition, there is too much voter like you in this forum. Its getting annoying see your reply a few times claiming this and that tower are design by some designer from the other country, this is the building competition, Not who design it or whatever.. Please stop it, your are embarrassing yourself here.
I think, when lots of people have voted for the Petronas just because they hate America, it's quite important to note that it was designed by Americans. That seems like a valid bit of information.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #1406
eyjafjallajokulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
it's quite important to note that it was designed by Americans. That seems like a valid bit of information.

Here you go again..., even if a building is designed by Americans or non Americans, if it is a great building, it is a great building. There is really no need to keep bring up this is designed by a particular country. Because that is really no point added in this competition. Please read the title again, this is supertalls world cup, not design firm world cup. Do not argue for the sake of argue, that is really no point defend something that is pointless.
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #1407
Bruce.Tenmile

No no no. It was not I, or any other with similar thoughts who brought up countries. Do not turn this around. When there are numerous people saying 'oooh, symbol of Malaysia, oohh you're so sexy' and going on about how magnificent an achievement it is for the country, it IS relevant, and not at all rude or nationalistic of us, to put them straight about how much was actually achieved by that country.

It shouldn't have a baring on the competition, and it doesn't for us. Location is irrelevant. We simple feel that those who vote for towers mostly based on country should have all the facts.

And thanx very much for telling me not to argue. It's a good job you didn't argue eh. I'd dearly love to give you the last word just because you told me I should, but alas, you need to be put straight.
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #1408
eyjafjallajokulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
No no no. It was not I, or any other with similar thoughts who brought up countries. Do not turn this around. When there are numerous people saying 'oooh, symbol of Malaysia, oohh you're so sexy' and going on about how magnificent an achievement it is for the country, it IS relevant, and not at all rude or nationalistic of us, to put them straight about how much was actually achieved by that country.

It shouldn't have a baring on the competition, and it doesn't for us. Location is irrelevant. We simple feel that those who vote for towers mostly based on country should have all the facts.

And thanx very much for telling me not to argue. It's a good job you didn't argue eh. I'd dearly love to give you the last word just because you told me I should, but alas, you need to be put straight.

If 3/4 of world population say 1+1 =3, it won't make it a fact. Your claim of "numerous people" bring up those argument doesn't make it a criteria in this competition. Who is the designer should not be take into this competition consideration. This is a fact, no matter how you twist it. Stop your twisted logic and come back to me when you know 1+1 =2
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #1409
burjdubai91
Visionary

Likes (Received): 96

I'm starting to regret voting for the Petronas what with all this hogwash and racial implications brought on by posters, which had nothing to do with both structures. Meanwhile, the Chrysler building is starting to grow on me. I've always preferred it to ESB.

I hope that in the next supertall world cup there'll be a more stringent voting process to avoid the mess now which is really unnecessary for what is supposedly a competition for fun.

My 3D Design Thread
PD Architecture and 3D Visualization

My Portfolio
https://www.behance.net/ptrckdsign
burjdubai91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #1410
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
If 3/4 of world population say 1+1 =3, it won't make it a fact. Your claim of "numerous people" bring up those argument doesn't make it a criteria in this competition. Who is the designer should not be take into this competition consideration. This is a fact, no matter how you twist it. Stop your twisted logic and come back to me when you know 1+1 =2
Well it's either numerous people, or a couple of people over and over and over again. People are constantly making statements about the Petronas being a symbol of Malaysia, and how great it is to have such a tower, and if you don't think so, maybe look back over the whole thread and see.

I, and others, are NOT saying the architect should be taken into account. What we are saying, is that if someone wants to shout about how awesome their country is for having such a great tower, and it is obvious that that is a good chunk of the reason they voted for it, that they should be aware that the tower is not such an achievement for them as it is for the Americans that they claim to hate.

I know it's hard to read, and it certainly makes you argument better to ignore most of my comments, but I have repeatedly said that to us, it doesn't matter where a building is located, who designed it, or who built it. That you keep saying it is us who bring it up, is just untrue.

We are just in favour of everybody understanding that voting based on misguided nationalism, or any kind of nationalism for that matter, is quite stupid.

Anyway, I've done it again. I've let myself be sucked into a stupid argument with people who will only ever choose to ignore the bulk of my comments, and make up lies instead. I'll be back as I can't stay away, but for a moment, I think I'm bored.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; July 17th, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #1411
Barian_Boy
The Last Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by burjdubai91 View Post
I'm starting to regret voting for the Petronas what with all this hogwash and racial implications brought on by posters, which had nothing to do with both structures. Meanwhile, the Chrysler building is starting to grow on me. I've always preferred it to ESB.
Well, you should be. Never really like it and now I've got one more reason.
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #1412
burjdubai91
Visionary

Likes (Received): 96

Well, I guess sentiment play a big part on why I voted PTT. I was able to visit the tower and its what cultivated my interest with skyscrapers. I knew about Chrysler a little later. However, its sad that the Petronas' aesthetic and cultural appeal has been demoted to a country vs. country thing. Its quite disappointing, as a fellow Asian. I'd rather it lose to this competition. It wouldn't take away anything from it though, win or lose. It still looks great for me and for other people, just as Chrysler is.

My 3D Design Thread
PD Architecture and 3D Visualization

My Portfolio
https://www.behance.net/ptrckdsign
burjdubai91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #1413
Barian_Boy
The Last Auror

One thing leads to another. Anyway, I knew such thing would happen from the beginning. That's life. lol
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #1414
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2625

For an old building a think it did pretty good and isn't ugly at all, the proof is it could never make it to this point if it was hideous as some people intend to convince each other.

It's only a contest of which building is liked the most.

Relax people

And I repeat, this building is the reason I got into skyscrapers.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #1415
[{x}]

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Please stop it, your are embarrassing yourself here.
Some people say I'm stupid, some people say I'm embarrassing myself, many people nod and agree with me. So, it's best to just not listen to anyone

Quote:
If 3/4 of world population say 1+1 =3, it won't make it a fact.
Yeah, but saying the Petronas is a "Symbol of Asia" doesn't make it a fact either (subjective opinion), and saying "it was designed by Americans" is completely factual.

Quote:
Your claim of "numerous people" bring up those argument doesn't make it a criteria in this competition.
Wow, I was completely unaware of what criteria for voting there were; thanks for clarifying. Please tell me more.

It makes it a criteria for those "numerous people" (of which a few we have already seen in this thread; there are many more) who already voted with this in mind. We're not trying to make it a criteria for anyone else; we're merely attempting to get others to consider the possibility that in light of the evidence, national pride in regards to this structure on the Malaysian side may be slightly misplaced.

Anyways, heated exchanges are to be expected in a competition that is apparently of such great importance to some of our ASEAN friends

Last edited by [{x}]; July 17th, 2011 at 04:50 PM.
[{x}] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #1416
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

bla..bla..bla..talk to my hand..
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #1417
aismanggo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

[{x}]you should realize,you makes people hate u
aismanggo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #1418
[{x}]

@gyu4 I don't understand, does it make you feel better to say such flippant things and then hypocritically characterize Westerners as rude?

Personally, whenever anyone can't offer an intelligent counter-argument in return and must rely on useless fluff such as the above post, it makes me smile on the inside, secure in knowing that I have won the argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aismanggo View Post
[{x}]you should realize,you makes people hate u
You should realize that I realized this before I even made my original post, and chose to go ahead with it anyways. The truth sometimes makes people very irrational and prone to behave in strange ways. Basically, what I'm doing here is raining on Malaysia's parade, not with senseless and agitating attacks like the "lol petronas = crap" comments you see so much, but more by explaining why the parade shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Last edited by [{x}]; July 17th, 2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old July 17th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #1419
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by [{x}] View Post
raining on Indonesia's parade,
Uhm...
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #1420
[{x}]

Yeah, I know it's Malaysia, I use the terms interchangeably. It's all ASEAN to me