daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #1
eddyb

Likes (Received): 34

Parrahub 2011

Thanks to feedback from people I believe the 2011 Parrahub mini subways would be acceptable to most people and although I cannot see any problem with the building I would appreciate feedback from anyone who could point out something I have overlooked.
The building, unit, train and LTBM can now all be downloaded from Google 3D if anyone is interested.
eddyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #2
eddyb

A more detailed drawing of the Parrahub car park is now on Google 3D.
A conservative estimate of traffic flow in or out of the negatively ventilated Parrahub car park is 5,000 cars per hour.
To avoid pre or post stressing of the floor slabs they will be horizontally curved between the walls and constrained by the surrounding rocks.
The 4 central 100 person car park express lifts will take commuters the 100m from subway station at the base of car park to street level in one minute.
Other interfloor car park lifts that take park and ride commuters from the lower floors to the base or the upper floors to the shops, offices or units will be located throughout the car park where required.
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
eddyb

Just like to point out that the government thinks it is a good idea to build over rail lines http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estate...217-1te5v.html

Part of the article "It cited the example of the operator of Hong Kong's metro system, MTR, which also develops land above stations. MTR makes more money out of property development than running trains".
Old February 24th, 2012, 05:29 AM   #4
burgess24

Likes (Received): 1

thank you
burgess24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #5
eddyb

burgess24
You are welcome i need all the support i can get.
By the way my computer sometimes does not show pictures i think there may have been one on your post??
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #6
eddyb

Although this is a bit off thread I think some people would be interested in my Parrahub trailerbus design http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...b7&prevstart=0 that could provide a free service in place of trams in the CBD
There would be no tickets needed and with the whole side lowered there would be little dwell time for passengers with unlimited bikes, electric scooters, wheelchairs, prams and even shopping trolleys to board or exit.
The trailerbus would not stop at every 400m bus stop but only when the buzzer was pressed or the driver waved down so with one every bus leaving every minute I would imagine that to be every three or four stops.
Battery powered prime movers would be quite possible as they use one on the container wharf in America and we used old battery powered locos in the mine that would last the whole shift. These days they have battery technology that recharges the batteries a bit when you are stopping.
There would have to be cameras on the one ramp door but even then passengers would have to use the same self discipline as they do standing behind the yellow line at stations or may get hurt in nearly the same way.
Even if the prime mover was diesel powered there would be little noise in the trailer.
I cannot imagine anyone paying to catch another bus if the free one would take them there so perhaps less regular busses would be required.
On time running would be easy with no schedule except that a trailerbus leaves the standby end every one minute.
Not only are rails and wires ugly and expensive but the installation cost ($200m for 20km) is so great that 60 trailer busses could be bought ($30m) and run free on a 20km route with the money saved.
There must be some speed that the authorities would agree to an exemption from their rule even if that was only 5kph although I believe speed limited to 40kph with passengers would quite safe.

Parrahub http://www.parrahub.org.au/

Last edited by eddyb; February 28th, 2012 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to put Parrahub link in
Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:34 AM   #7
eddyb

Just heard a guy on ABC big ideas say that China gets 30 cents for every Ipod it makes and America gets $30
So rather than just writing off radical ideas like Parrahub http://www.parrahub.org.au/ as some sort of snake oil they should be investigated thouroughly to see if there is any merit in them because that is where the big bucks are if they work.
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #8
eddyb

Did my usual stroll around the Parrahub site the other day and noticed the new block of 25 units in High street were up for lease.
Would this prevent any start of Parrahub in the future or just delay it until their leases were up or could they be evicted with compensation so the new block could be demolished with all the other buildings on the proposed site.
I am not sure where the balance is between individual rights and the common good.
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #9
eddyb

Chris Bowen gave me an idea when he announced that priority would be given to immigrants with $5m who were prepared to risk that money.
If the price is increased to $2m each Parrahub unit it will allow the centrespace to have a restaurant, gym, movies, hairdresser etc. provided free so the operators can have the cheapest prices in town and the rent from any other shops/offices will cover the strata fees, electricity, and water charges with perhaps a bit of a return.
I believe that there would be no problem getting 2,000 people worldwide to buy one of these units off the plan at $2m each with first come first served.

Last edited by eddyb; May 26th, 2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Origimal post too long
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #10
eddyb

Anyone on this forum think that the Parrahub building on my Parrahub site parrahub.org.au would cost more than $4b (including $600m for the land) please?

Last edited by eddyb; May 29th, 2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention $600m for land
Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM   #11
eddyb

We must have more money than sense in NSW because now they want to build a second harbour crossing so all the western passengers will go via central to north Sydney instead of going there directly with Parrahub for next to nothing.
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #12
eddyb

NSW government will now be able to resume property and that is real good news for Parrahub.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/prope...613-20alv.html
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #13
eddyb

Just want to inform people I have updated the Parrahub site for 250kph subways http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #14
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 202

Wat?
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #15
eddyb

This is the email I sent to Chris the other day.
Hi Chris
I delivered 150 letters to the proposed Parrahub site within Marion, Church, Raymond and Station streets on Tuesday the 18/6/13 and noticed that the residents are mainly flat dwellers of whom I suspect would be only renting and next to the new block of 25 units in High street there is another one under construction as well as further along two more development proposals on older buildings.

As you can appreciate not only is it a waste to have to knock down any more new buildings although nobody has complained to me this far it may be different with more residents so perhaps the state government could buy all this area now giving everybody one year to relocate rent free and whatever they want for their property.

They could consider it not only as a means of securing the site but an investment as it will be worth twice as much as a huge development site.

Regards Eddy

Parrahub an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/

Last edited by eddyb; June 30th, 2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Want to include link
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #16
eddyb

Here is a suggestion that would make an extra runway at Mascot, connect western Sydney and allow the Parrahub excavation to go almost unnoticed.

By excavating vertically a launch site sufficiently deep to be in competent rock and using two 10 metre diameter TBM to drive twin 250kph express subway tunnels like they are doing in Norway, the material could be dumped between the existing runways making another runway.

Upon reaching the Parrahub site a shaft could be raise bored enabling the excavated material to be tipped down and transported by the existing conveyor directly to the new runway.

Access to the 5 minute express subway would be with a bank of large lifts capable of taking 100 people 100 metres in one minute at a cost of $1.5m each.

Lastly all the precast wall and floor sections could be made anywhere and stockpiled ready to whack up the simplest, safest Parrahub building in very quick time.

A TBM in India is doing the same distance for $400m and from research in 2011 it appears that the only difference in costs are our wages particularly as our sandstone is the best geology in the world to tunnel in.

If 100,000 passengers use it per day at $10 return that would be $365m per year and I am pretty sure that would cover the interest particularly if it saved having to build another airport.

All the intercity connections would be there as well as half the flight paths over the sea instead of Sydney.
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #17
SydneyCity

Quick question though, how is Parrahub going to be funded under your plans?
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #18
eddyb

This 2011 study http://www.wpi.edu/Pubs/E-project/Av...lic_Report.pdf basically says that it is only our wages that make our tunnels so expensive you may want to check out some of the parts I have noted.
2.3.1 The indeterminacy of geotechnical imaging technologies makes the type of substrate one of the largest factors in the variance of tunnelling costs. The ideal conditions to tunnel through are typically relatively soft homogenous rock, such as the sandstone present around Sydney (Pells, 2002).
3.2.1 Each cost was multiplied by this inflation factor to move costs to the third quarter of 2011.
4.2.1.1 Geology was often a key concern by the interviewees when it came to discussing cost escalation over the life of the project. Most responses indicated a need for more comprehensive site investigation but mentioned the reluctance to spend money doing this in the feasibility stages of a project. It should be noted that no respondents characterised Australia as having more difficult geology for tunnelling. In particular, some indicated that tunnelling in Asia was much more geologically complex and certain parts of Australia, such as Sydney, are some of the easiest places to tunnel.
Public and government support were also cited by some interviewees as a possible explanation for high tunneling costs in Australia. A change in government backing can delay or even cancel projects, resulting in cost overruns. It was also noted that often a project that lacks support from the public will not have high usage. This can adversely affect projected toll incomes and injure the financial status of the owner of the tunnel. Based on this finding, it appears important to secure both government and public support early on for any tunnelling project.
4.3 Each project is of medium-long length which is in accord with our previous finding that start-up costs tend to be normalised by the long length of the tunnels.
4.5.1 The results of our interviews suggest that Australia does not have particularly difficult geology to tunnel through, and tends to have fairly easy substrate to bore through in some regions such as Sydney.
4.5.2 Another interesting finding from Figure 25 is that Australia is the only country in which engineers do not get paid as highly as miners. This is a key point, because contractors in Australia must pay competitive wages to tunnel workers in order to employ them in tunnels rather than mines. This typically involves paying a certain amount of overtime wages per week to keep up. Since a significant amount of the cost of the tunnel is derived directly from labour costs, this is a significant finding.

This Indian tunnel http://www.tunneltalk.com/AMR-India-Project1.php only cost $400m and so how about getting them to come over and do ours when they finish it.

Regarding the building the 2,000 units [email protected] $2m each would raise $4b then you have the sale of the shops/office space in the centre so there would be no problem covering the cost.
Old August 21st, 2013, 09:55 AM   #19
SydneyCity

Why would the 2,000 units cost $2 million each? People won't pay that, an average of about $400,000 per unit in Parramatta is about all you'd get. Plus you need to consider legal, selling, construction and site expenses.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:00 AM   #20
eddyb

Yes $2m each is a bit steep but at 300 square metres they would be twice as big as any for half a million with unlimited free parking and will eventually be right in the heart of megacity Sydney with transport and shops/offices right at the door, it only needs .001% of Sydney people with the money to see this.

When you consider the 15,000 free parking spaces plus subway stations connecting greater Sydney perhaps state and federal governments could kick the can a bit as it would save up to $9b per year with reduced road congestion.

Last edited by eddyb; August 22nd, 2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to say .001 of Sydney people