daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Bangladesh > Cityscapes & Urban Development

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:39 PM   #481
amar11372

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIslam View Post
Jesting aside, pedal powered energy generation is already being done. I was channeling surfing the other day and came across a network (could be planet green) where they were showing how some gyms are connecting all their pedaled exercise machines to some turbines/power generators and other gadgets, thereby drastically reducing their need for utility provided power.
Great! now the Govt should provide free gym membership to all the obese people in BD. No more blackouts.
amar11372 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:09 PM   #482
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar11372 View Post
Great! now the Govt should provide free gym membership to all the obese people in BD. No more blackouts.
Or set up a bunch of hamster farms with the rollers attached to an electrical grid

Seriously though, as silly as it might sound at first read, I think that peddling for power would be an awesome way to generate power and keep unskilled labor employed. Their salary could be proportional to the amount of power they generate.
tanzirian no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM   #483
amar11372

Likes (Received): 125

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzirian View Post
Or set up a bunch of hamster farms with the rollers attached to an electrical grid

Seriously though, as silly as it might sound at first read, I think that peddling for power would be an awesome way to generate power and keep unskilled labor employed. Their salary could be proportional to the amount of power they generate.
Sounds good. Lets all send some letters to our Madam Prime Minister about our idea.
amar11372 no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #484
manbil777

Likes (Received): 58

See -- coffee and lack of sleep can prove productive

This could be a way to charge cellphone batteries or produce alternatives for night-time power in Mofushal towns (after connecting to IPS battery power).

Last edited by manbil777; January 24th, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
manbil777 no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #485
nayeem007

Likes (Received): 396

MA Rouf Square

The monument is at Shalbagan, mid-point of Chittagong-Rangamati road, Sapchhari.

nayeem007 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #486
tanzirian

Southern University, Chittagong (photo by Southern University Bangladesh):

image hosted on flickr
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:38 PM   #487
tanzirian

A section of the business school @ Chittagong University (photo by Pankaj Barua):

Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:12 PM   #488
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Likes (Received): 524

I like the fact that Chittagong is so green. Wonder whether it'll all disappear when building boom hits the city.
TIslam no está en línea  
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:01 AM   #489
tanzirian

Quote:

I like the fact that Chittagong is so green. Wonder whether it'll all disappear when building boom hits the city.
From what I've heard, the city is a lot less hilly than it used to be...the hills having been chopped away for their earth to use on building projects. Chittagong has struck me as having a lot less civic pride than Dhaka or Sylhet...not that those two have much either by global standards...but I think this is changing, with restoration of old buildings such as the Rail Station and Court House. Hopefully as the city develops a better sense of itself as a significant metropolitan area, its natural heritage can benefit from some conscious preservation efforts as well.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:52 AM   #490
tanzirian

St Placid's School (photo by Tohidul Islam):

Old March 1st, 2009, 10:23 AM   #491
Skyprince
Asian boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillcentre View Post
Sry to say, Chittagong is very very disgusting and very backdated.. People were saying its a beautiful city, but when I went there I found out its a ricksha city... Dhaka may have congestion but Dhaka is a what can be callled a metropoliton.. CHittagong does not qualify for that. The roads are very smalll.. the streets are ugly.. The houses are cheap... The people are khatttt.. Cars can barely take speed ( very few cars in the mofashol) because of rikshas.The city does not even have a single 5 STAR HOTEL***....
Hmm.. thats pretty close to the impression I got when I arrived at Chittagong. Dhaka looks alot better and well-maintained. I expected a huge metropolis but found it pretty small city. ( Isn't it the commercial and trade capital of BD ? ) The Foys Lake and the area surrounding it are very nice though.
Skyprince está en línea ahora  
Old March 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM   #492
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Quote:
St Placid's School (photo by Tohidul Islam):
Is St. Placid's like St. Gregory's and/or St. Joseph's? I mean run by the Brothers of Holy Cross?
TIslam no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM   #493
tanzirian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince View Post
( Isn't it the commercial and trade capital of BD ? )
Well...it is the chief port...and has the largest export processing zone...but far more commerce happens in Dhaka.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM   #494
tanzirian

Quote:
Is St. Placid's like St. Gregory's and/or St. Joseph's?* I mean run by the Brothers of Holy Cross?
Sorry couldn't say, just found the pic.* Besides which St Josephs is no longer a missionary institution is it?* The missionaries left places like St Joseph, Notre Dame etc a long time ago as far as I know.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:46 PM   #495
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Quote:
Sorry couldn't say, just found the pic.* Besides which St Josephs is no longer a missionary institution is it?* The missionaries left places like St Joseph, Notre Dame etc a long time ago as far as I know.
Really? How long ago? Last I knew, according to my late father (he was the founding Secretary of the Mohammedpur Preparatory School, which I'm told is a college now), the "American" "brothers" had left but the school was still run by the same missionary (Brothers of Holy cross, South Bend IN) with local brothers (aka native Christians). The headmaster of SJHS used to be a member of the Mohammedpur Preparatory School's board. I have no knowledge about Notre Dame, but St. Greg's and SJHS used to be the same missionary (institution) because the same brothers used to be assigned to both the schools (not concurrently).
TIslam no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:06 PM   #496
tanzirian

Honestly I don't know. I was just thinking since the priests no longer taught there that perhaps they were no longer missionary schools, but I am certainly no expert on the issue.
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #497
Skyprince
Asian boi

Quote:
Well...it is the chief port...and has the largest export processing zone...but far more commerce happens in Dhaka.
On the way from Dhaka to Bandarban ( overnight bus trip ) we passed through Chittagong city. Before reaching Chittagong I learnt that its a huge metro area with 4-5 million metro population so I expected something like Surabaya, Sydney or Alexandria . I saw very few lights within 4-5 hours from Dhaka but then, when I peeped out of window yes I saw many lights with some shops but in just 20 mins or so we were entirely back into dark again. I asked my frens if we have just passed " Feni town" or Comilla town but they said no! We just passed thru Chittagong metro area!

On the way back from CoxBazaar to Dhaka we stopped in Chittagong and went to Foys lake, from top of a hill I could see the whole of Chittagong area. CTG looks pretty small and I can't believe its a city with such a huge population!
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #498
tanzirian

Quote:
On the way from Dhaka to Bandarban ( overnight bus trip ) we passed through Chittagong city. Before reaching Chittagong I learnt that its a huge metro area with 4-5 million metro population so I expected something like Surabaya, Sydney or Alexandria . I saw very few lights within 4-5 hours from Dhaka but then, when I peeped out of window yes I saw many lights with some shops but in just 20 mins or so we were entirely back into dark again. I asked my frens if we have just passed " Feni town" or Comilla town but they said no! We just passed thru Chittagong metro area!

On the way back from CoxBazaar to Dhaka we stopped in Chittagong and went to Foys lake, from top of a hill I could see the whole of Chittagong area. CTG looks pretty small and I can't believe its a city with such a huge population!
There are quite a few towns in Bangladesh with large populations but since the development isn't there you won't see lots of buildings as you would in wealthier countries. As for Chittagong there will undoubtedly be some big changes in the next few decades.
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #499
Skyprince
Asian boi

Quote:
There are quite a few towns in Bangladesh with large populations but since the development isn't there you won't see lots of buildings as you would in wealthier countries. As for Chittagong there will undoubtedly be some big changes in the next few decades.
I was in Egypt and Yemen ; their level of infrastructure is less than in Bangladesh ( no joke ), but even medium-sized cities like Luxor, Sana'a, Aden, Hurghada , Port Said are pretty lively and bustling with tons of people and noise.

When I was in London ( UK ) I had the same feel as in Dhaka & Chittagong - pretty quiet, not "vibrant", the city is huge but certainly not "bustling" and rather calm-looking. And I can't believe that London is such a global financial centre from what I saw in reality. Strange.
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #500
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Quote:
I was in Egypt and Yemen ; their level of infrastructure is less than in Bangladesh ( no joke ), but even medium-sized cities like Luxor, Sana'a, Aden, Hurghada , Port Said are pretty lively and bustling with tons of people and noise.

When I was in London ( UK ) I had the same feel as in Dhaka & Chittagong - pretty quiet, not "vibrant", the city is huge but certainly not "bustling" and rather calm-looking. And I can't believe that London is such a global financial centre from what I saw in reality. Strange.
Have you been to the US yet? If not, I'm afraid most cities in the US may disappoint you in the same manner, save for perhaps, the big apple.
TIslam no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: