daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #1
FešnorBR

Likes (Received): 8

The Central Plateau - BrasŪlia - 51 years

"From this Central Plateau, from this solitude that will soon be transformed into the brain of the highest national decisions. I gaze once more over the future of my country, and foresee the dawn with unshakable faith and unlimited confidence in the greatness of its destiny."

BrasŪlia, 2nd of october, 1956
Juscelino Kubitschek de Oliveira

The Brazilian Flag

SQUARE OF THE THREE POWERS

Pigeonry

The National Congress

The Supreme Federal Court

The Planalto (Plateau) Palace

The Candangos (The brave builders and pioneers of Brasilia)

Juscelino Kubitschek The Visionary President

The Pilot Plan

City model under the square

The Metropolitan Cathedral of Brasilia

Replica of Michellangelo's PietŠ

Bells donated by Spain

The Itamaraty Palace (Brazilian Diplomacy)

The First Residential Super-Block in the city (the Wings of the plane)

Welcome...

High quality of life and lots of greenery
*All the space beneath the buildings are free circulation public areas

Little Church of FŠtima

FROM INSIDE THE CAR...

The Central Bank building

Financial District

Third Bridge over de ParanoŠ Lake

Juscelino Kubitschek JK Memorial

The moon on this very night

One of the city's many parks

And some older pictures taken from the city

The President's House

The Pilot Plan

Hotel district

City Park

I hope everyone could get a glimpse of how great BrasŪlia is, I am ever amazed by this city, and pictures will surely not be sufficient to show its monumental scale.
You just have to visit and see it for yourself, the city has the most amazing and beautiful horizon I've ever seen.
And dispite what many people usually think, Brasilia is a very human city, it is a great place to live and its inhabitants are very proud of it.
Sadly, the model proposed by Lucio Costa and Oscar Niemeyer got lost in the way, and many places of the city have fallen short to the quality of life seen in the 'pilot plan'.

Parabťns BrasŪlia!
With Love, from a Brasileiro.
FešnorBR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #2
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244380

Amazing, very nice photos from Brasilia
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #3
FešnorBR

Thank you, glad you liked them
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Brazuca Surfer
Rio: Great place to surf

Likes (Received): 5049

Nice Thread!

Brasilia looks great in this pics.
Old April 25th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #5
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

A bit lonely, but very interesting architecture...Thanks very much.
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #6
FešnorBR

Its lonely 'cause these pics were taken from 10:00 p.m to noon, and the sun was burning hot, so people were mostly indoors, not to say it was a holiday.

The other days I stayed there the city was really crouded and alive.

Also some of the places where I took the pictures, like the square of the three powers and the green void in the pilot plan are really way too big for people, and purposely give off that feeling of solitute I guess.

I'll see if I can focus more on people next time, I do always hear that BrasŪlia seems empty and lonely, but that's not actually the case.

Thanks!
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #7
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2598

Quote:
Originally Posted by FešnorBR View Post

Little Church of FŠtima

Good advertisement about providing shade. I wonder if people move their chairs as the sun moves.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #8
mhays
Journeyman

It's like a museum for failed midcentury urban planning and dated architecture.

I appreciate the tour.
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #9
FešnorBR

Quote:
Good advertisement about providing shade. I wonder if people move their chairs as the sun moves.
hahaha got shade? that day was really hot and dry, those people must be really faithfull.

Quote:
It's like a museum for failed midcentury urban planning and dated architecture.
The urban planning did fail on some level, which is sad, and there are many reasons why it happened, but the city itself did no fail, It's thriving, and like many brazilian cities trying to deal with its many problems.

The car based plan of the city might have been a mistake, but there are still ways to solve that.

About it being an open air museum, it does feel like that sometimes, and that's not depreciative, many cities that have UNESCO protected areas with cohesive arquitecture styles also feel like that.

What upsets me, is that the city is uncared for, urbanistically speaking, and what set out to be the city of the future, got stuck on it's own time. =(
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #10
mhays
Journeyman

Maybe they can retrofit it.

For example, they could keep portions of the grass and plazas, but start building housing and other things amidst it all. Create narrower streets people would want to walk on, including some with retail. Let people live near work.

The 1950s architecture would work better if it was in the middle of other things, not a series of "icons" for people to drive to, without much except emptyness outside them.
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #11
FešnorBR

I visit the city often, but as an 'outsider' I did tend to show more of the monumentality of Brasilia, rather than it's 'livable' places, and I think only a few threads have show a more human side of it.

The superblocks for instance are almost self-suficient, with commerce and residential areas, schools, parks and lots of trees and walking areas, with great night life, many bars and night clubs.

As for the Administrative area, I don't see it changing, it's part of the concept of the city, and it serves its purpose well, being the center of the Brazilian Government, that's it, not a place for people to live, but to visit or work (if you're a politician). And since it's protected by UNESCO there's not much that can be changed.

I do agree with you that some retrofit and better urbanism in some decayed financial or hotel districts would do the city well.

That big emptiness that is the central mall, has its power, it's unhuman scale makes sence within the city I guess...or, maybe it's just ufanism from my part.