daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #21
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Someone local can correct me, but I think that's less a case of an abandoned (or "never completed") road than a "not yet completed" road. I-22's fairly new - not marked yet as far as I know - and that interchange with 65 will be one of the last pieces. I assume the intent is to finish it sooner rather than later.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #22
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

You can use the bridge to jump off
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #23
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
After viewing a motorway interchange recommended by another user on another thread I was looking around that point when I discovered this. Looks like a built but never completed end of I-22.
That interchange is under construction now Freeway Jim just vid through Birmingham. Got to 4:20

urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #24
Christophorus

Likes (Received): 87

http://www.strecke46.de/ (mostly in german, but try a translation)

site about the never completed "Reichsautobahn" Bad Hersfeld-Würzburg. Routing was severly changed after WW II, but we can call it the partly grandma of nowadays german A7.
Christophorus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #25
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

In my hometown an abandonned railway bridge was converted recently into a road bridge, so it added a 5th road bridge over the river in my hometown. It was quite convenient for the authorities to already have a bridge at their disposal without having to build it. I should take a picture next time I'm there.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #26
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

Lika county, Croatia:
During the 70's, a highway from Zagreb to Split (via Bihać) was planned (it was called "Savkin autoput" after Savka Dabčević Kučar, president of the Central commitee of the communist union of Croatia) and construction started on section between Tiškovac and Kaldrma. But those were times when it wasn't politically desirable to connect 2 biggest cities in Croatia as part of Yugoslavia, so suddenly all the works had been stopped. The facts about the construction and withdrawal of the money are vaguely known.

Today there is some 10 km long section of macadam road which follows the CRO-BIH border (there's also an abandoned railroad), few tunnel portals and water canals can be seen.

photo by Lugar, panoramio

by Dr Ndoje, panoramio

tunnel:
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=44.2610141...2&z=18&l=0&m=s

another tunnel portal and a notch in the hill:
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=44.2503098...8&z=17&l=0&m=s

Last edited by Puležan; April 27th, 2011 at 05:36 AM.
Puležan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #27
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
After viewing a motorway interchange recommended by another user on another thread I was looking around that point when I discovered this. Looks like a built but never completed end of I-22.
Never completed? It's actively under construction and may be scheduled to open this fall (IMHO, likelier fall 2012).

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #28
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophorus View Post
http://www.strecke46.de/ (mostly in german, but try a translation)

site about the never completed "Reichsautobahn" Bad Hersfeld-Würzburg. Routing was severly changed after WW II, but we can call it the partly grandma of nowadays german A7.
There are also visible abandoned grades, one running eastward from the A7/A44 interchange at Kassel:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...43945&t=k&z=15
(That's Vollmarshausen at the upper left)
Is this grade being used to complete the A44 to the A4 at Wommen?

Also, along the A2 just southeast of Hamm:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...43945&t=k&z=15
The never-completed grade is traceable for several km to the east-southeast. Where was this one planned to go?

Mike
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #29
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

There's an existing thread on this topic with some really good pictures and maps.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...oned+motorways
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #30
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Never completed? It's actively under construction and may be scheduled to open this fall (IMHO, likelier fall 2012).

Mike
Hi Mike!

I didn't know the anything about I-22 construction works. I was just looking on google maps and there it looks like I-22 stops few hundred meters before I-65, without any construction works to be seen.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #31
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19401

We don't have such things in the Netherlands. The Dutch public workers have an obsession for managing this country into the most extreme details, so unused stuff is likely to be demolished pretty fast.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #32
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 646

The A4232 in Cardiff Bay stops abruptly at the roundabout in the bottom left after emerging from the Bute tunnel. There's been plans to extend the link though the random looking roundabout on the right, through the docks and up to meet the A48 but nothing ever seems to materialize.

The A4174 Ring Road in Bristol is bizarre. For a long time the only complete sections were from the future MoD site to the M32 and a little towards Downend. There was also this dual carriageway section even with a grade separated junction, whcih just runs into a roundabout and a single road to a council estate and industrial park.

You can see where this section was originally intended to go. The green space now has a nursing home built on top.

Let's look at the awful general picture of the "Ring" road. Yellow is the oldest original built section, probably made at the same time as the council estates. Most of the Red section was built in the early 00's. The two cant be linked with upgrading existing roads because of the density of housing and development. This makes the Bath Road (the green A road linking the two halves) an absolute nightmare for traffic.

Dotted Blue is proposed extensions of the Ring road. They either run through fields (pissing off treehuggers) or through dense housing. In an ideal world the full ring road would link together the airport, Long Ashton and Brislington Park & Rides, the M32, A38, A4, A37, Gloucester Road and MoD. But with Bristol's incompetent city council I bet this pathetic "quarter-ring" road will be what we're left with.

Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #33
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

On the Passo Gavia in Italy you can find a few sections of the old road,i dont have any pictures now but i was there a few times
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #34
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Hi Mike!

I didn't know the anything about I-22 construction works. I was just looking on google maps and there it looks like I-22 stops few hundred meters before I-65, without any construction works to be seen.
Well, the most recent 'completion' on I-22 had the section up to the very last crossroad interchange before I-65 opening a couple of years ago. I'm not sure why that last part was put off until now, but it was likely related to funding.

Mike

Tags
abandoned