daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2011, 11:49 AM   #21
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Yes, this is impossible in the near future. It would take at least a decade until this would be built. But still that's better than having the skyline of NY eternally altered. As I said before, the Freedom Tower would have to be a major economic success in order for this to happen.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #22
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Twin Freedom Towers would indeed be the ultimate compromise. There would be twin towers but they would be new towers and not a replica of the old ones. Here I have my final scheme for how it should look like:

[IMG]http://i53.************/i6jiap.jpg[/IMG]

Technical aspects:
-The new tower's west edge is exactly where the Freedom Tower's east edge is. This is exactly the same as it was with the original towers.
-From what I know the subway system hasn't changed since the time of the old buildings and since the new tower is located for 75% on the position of the old North Tower, no rerouting of the subway would be necessary.
-Only a very minor underground part of the memorial would have to be moved and this would be without a problem, because on the west quarter of the North Pool just as much space would be gained as the memorial would loose on the east edge of the North Pool.
-The distance of the new tower to the south of the Freedom Tower would be at the bottom half of the distance between the old towers. However at the top of the towers, it would be one and a half of the old towers. This means that the average distance between the two Freedom Towers would be just the same as it was between the old towers.
-The distance between the now planned towers and the Freedom Tower twin would be approximatelly the same as is between the individual planned towers.
-Rerouting of minor infractructural instalations like cables wouldn't be much of a problem since it was done at the construction of the original WTC as well.

Political aspects:
-If a second tower is demanded by a vast number of people it will be in the Port Authority's interest to build it.

Economical aspects:
-If the Freedom Tower and 5WTC will rent well, it will again be in the Port Authority's interest to build it. If they would gain money from more office space, they would be foolish to not build another building if there still is the space. And yes, there still is the space.

Final note:
If anybody sees a problem with any of the above made points let me know and I will try to solve it.
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:10 AM   #23
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2532

Pretty much everything, but we already covered that.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #24
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

The four unique towers already look very nice. Building another exact replica of the first tower would block the views to the other three towers.

It would also make the whole complex look very boring after it blocks the other WTC towers.
Old May 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #25
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Pretty much everything, but we already covered that.
But I think I solved all the vital problems in my last post. As to things like years of planning, yes, that is true. But I never claimed that it can be done in the near future. It can be done only after the rest of the buildings are constructed, which will take at least to 2014 but most probably more.

And I don't think that seeing the smaller towers is that important. After all, it's the Freedom Tower that is the main building there. It's twin would of course be just as important.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:09 PM   #26
The tallest building

Likes (Received): 5

a new model

Many other models for making certain changes to the world trade center have failed, mine, on the other hand, is possible. I have added skybridges connecting all the world trade center towers as well as the world financial center at the 40th floor (a second observation skybridge will connect at the top floor of the twin freedom towers), my model fills in a tower 6, the second one world trade center (or two world trade center) will have a performing arts area where I see those strange squares at the top of the currently planned freedom tower.

Last edited by The tallest building; August 22nd, 2011 at 11:18 PM.
The tallest building no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM   #27
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Not this again Kanto. Didn't you leave SSP because everyone bashed this idea over there? They are not going to build another 1WTC. It doesn't matter if it's possible or not. It doesn't matter if there is room. Or if there is a want or demand for it. It will not. Happen.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:56 AM   #28
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2532

This is funny. Part of me says let the kid go nuts. But it's all just dreaming.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #29
DesignBuild Source
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Rising from the Ashes: One World Trade Centre

September 11th 2001 has become a monumental day in global history. One of the most devastating acts in US history, the attacks on the World Trade Centre Buildings in New York meant more than the destruction of an iconic development. It held a symbolic threat that is impossible to define. It was not the act of the destruction of the twin towers that so affected the world, but what that represented to one of the globe’s strongest nations...

Read full article at http://designbuildsource.com.au/risi...d-trade-centre
DesignBuild Source no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #30
bobman
Regulator

Likes (Received): 16

I think what they've done is probably the best compromise, but it would have been better if 2WTC was a little higher.

With that said, you have to remember that the new 3WTC, 4WTC, 5WTC & 7WTC will be considerably higher than the buildings they replaced were.
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #31
Kanto
Roof height crusader

This is rather interesting, even though I last posted in this thread on 5th of May it spawns controversy 'til this day. I'd really like to know why?
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #32
azn_man12345

Please. This topic and others like it have been around sine 9/12/2001. What's causing controversy is the Topic Creator.
Old September 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #33
Kanto
Roof height crusader

That's interesting, may I ask why?
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #34
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Because when you posed this same question at SSP, you were thoroughly shown that this is economically, logistically, and politically impossible but you kept pressing.

I admire your persistence, but this is not possible. First, the Port Authority recently had to increase tolls in the NY Metro area to cover cost overruns at the WTC. Even before that, the PA has said publicly that they don't want to build office buildings any more. They want to stick to roads, bridges, and tunnels. Period end of story.

Then, your plan calls on removing a whole memorial pool? Which again cost $200M each, so your throwing away that money, then you have to completely reorder all of the memorial panels for the south pool because they have the names of people who died only in the South Tower. Try selling this plan to the public, where you are essentially ignoring the destruction of the North Tower and the people who died there. It won't happen. Ever.

And it's not like underneath the pools are empty spaces. The transit hub is hugeeee. Takes up an enormous amount of space underground along with the museum and existing train lines, like the Path. Which I don't care what you say, you absolutely can not disrupt service on those trains for even 1 day. Tens of thousands of people use them to commute.

So again. The PA doesn't want to build office buildings. There's currently no demand. Gutting an entire memorial pool after building it would never fly with the public. The engineering and logistical planning would be immense, and that's assuming it's possible at all. And once this complex is finished, there is zero chance of the PA saying, oh hey look the economy is better so lets tear up the north pool and build a twin to WTC1. I am sick of seeing cranes at the WTC man, I just want this thing done.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #35
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Whoa, slow down a bit, you misunderstood my questions. I have last posted about this idea on 5th of May. I have abandonned it. In my recent posts I didn't ask about this old idea, I asked why does this thread still spawn controversy after it's dead for more than a quarter of a year. I just wanted to know why people search for it to bump it after it's dead for so long

Even though I abandoned this idea long ago I'd still like to note that I didn't plan to destroy the North Tower Memorial, I wanted to move it into my proposed twin because I find the pools to be an insult to 9/11 victims and I wanted to make them a worthy memorial. But again I say what I said before, I abandoned this idea
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #36
azn_man12345

Please. You act like people care enough to search up this thread. It was floating near the bottom of the first page City Talk and Urban Issues the entire time. The reason it's still active is people see your name and they know it'll be something interesting going on in the topic. And I do NOT mean that in a good way.

And you think this thread was dead after two weeks? Please. Try the Madison Square Garden Twin Towers or something. Although you're probably too young to know about that.
Old September 9th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #37
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
The reason it's still active is people see your name and they know it'll be something interesting going on in the topic.
This is it, with this sentence you have officialy proven what I knew since you started digging up SSP just to find my old threads, that I'm more than somebody with a different opinion that you don't respect to you. You hate me, that's for sure, but you love to hate me. And don't try to deny it. Why else would you go to SSP just to search for my threads there? Waging war with me isn't an annoyance to you, it's entertainment to you. That's rather sick
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #38
azn_man12345

How exactly does that work out? How the hell did you add 2 and 2 and get 3?

You were the one that suggested we look up your thread on SSP for "more information" or whatever bullshit you said. All I did was go on SSP and type in "Kanto" in the search bar. That's hardly "digging up". Oh and I don't hate you. I won't waste my hate on someone over the internet. But I do very much dislike you and if I knew you in real life, I probably would indeed hate you.

And I don't dislike you because you have a different opinion then I do. To be honest, I don't give a damn what your opinion is. I dislike you because you're annoying, immature and disrespectful. Not to mention your constant talk about roof height is pointless, seeing as it's a dead category to the CTBUH now.
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #39
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Oh I didn't say any bullshit, I just talked about me leaving SSP and you asked for a link to my threads there so please don't lie. Also, by constantly attacking me you proove that you are the one who is immature and disrespectful. End of story, now let this thread die
Old September 9th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #40
azn_man12345

Don't tell me what to do. You're no one.

Tags
twin towers, world trade center, wtc