daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2015, 09:00 AM   #201
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52284

ORD Airport from above by Friscocali, on Flickr

patel2897, mrsmartman, shakman liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #202
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...=outfit&page=1
Rahm Emanuel faces daunting second-term challenges
May 16, 2015
........The mayor then said one of his goals is to provide express passenger rail service to O'Hare from downtown, his first mention of what certainly would be a costly project. Emanuel touted Mayor Richard J. Daley's decision to develop O'Hare as one that "fundamentally changed the landscape of Chicago for the next 50 years."

"Without O'Hare," Emanuel observed, "we could have been Cleveland."

Similarly, the mayor said he hopes his drive to create a stronger tech economy here would lay the foundation for decades of future success.

There is no 'Chicago versus suburbs, Chicago versus the rest of the state, or Chicago is the burden.' The people of Illinois know Illinois without a vibrant Chicago is a problem.
- Mayor Rahm Emanuel
As for monument building, Emanuel said his expanded Riverwalk will be completed in his second term, and opening up 26 new miles of the Chicago River for recreation, he predicts, one day will lead to highly-sought development and increased home values in the city's neighborhoods that abut the river........
Old May 18th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #203
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

ICELANDAIR ANNOUNCES SERVICE FROM CHICAGO O'HARE

Quote:
CHICAGO, May 12, 2015 - Icelandair today announces further expansion of its global network with new year-round service from Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD). Flights will begin March 16, 2016 with four weekly round-trips to Iceland on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, with connections to more than 20 destinations in Europe.

Icelandair, in operation since 1937, has a long, illustrious history of providing flights from the United States to Europe, including a 15-year stint from Chicago that began in 1973. Since then, Icelandair has continued to grow as an airline with new aircraft, modern amenities and more destinations. With the announcement of Chicago O'Hare International Airport, Icelandair will now offer service from 15 North American gateways.

"We are excited to return to Chicago as a bigger, better airline that can best serve the dynamic market of this world-class city and its nearly 10 million inhabitants. Chicagoans will now have a refreshing alternative when traveling to Iceland and beyond, and Icelanders and Europeans will have direct access to the vibrant and historic city of Chicago. This is an exciting and significant moment for Icelandair and we look forward to welcoming Chicago aboard," said Birkir Holm Gudnason, CEO of Icelandair.

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 11:02 PM   #204
chanyxp

Likes (Received): 7

Any updates on the ATS extension to Metra Station?
chanyxp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 05:28 PM   #205
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Yes. It broke ground today along with the new rental car complex/bus transfer.
Old May 27th, 2015, 07:42 AM   #206
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Updated diagram of the new CONRAC (Consolidated Rental Car facility)

From over at SSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I found this online - it's pretty massive.

http://www.dot.gov/tifia/financed-pr...t-use-facility
Old May 28th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #207
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

ATS Extension and Consolidated Rental Car and Long Term Parking Facility

Renderings inside....
Quote:
http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...renderings.php

A Look at the Ross Barney Renderings for O'Hare's New Intermodal Facility
Thursday, May 28, 2015, by AJ LaTrace

A week ago, the city broke ground on the new 4.5 million square foot facility that will consolidate O'Hare Airport's rental car offerings as well as deliver a new airport transit system. Located on the east side of the airport, the so-called ConRAC and ATS Extension will span 33 acres and cost hundreds of millions of dollars to build........
The updated renderings certainly offer more detail and offer a clearer vision of how the new intermodal facility will look when completed. When completed in 2018, the facility is expected to witness 30,000 travelers daily and provide 100 permanent jobs (not counting the estimated 3,000 jobs from the preliminary design stages.......
photos via CurbedChicago and cdn.cstatic.net

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...renderings.php

mrsmartman, patel2897, skyduster liked this post

Last edited by nomarandlee; May 28th, 2015 at 10:23 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #208
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Apparently building the People Mover stop closer to the Metra station was not even a consideration.
Old May 29th, 2015, 01:10 AM   #209
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Apparently building the People Mover stop closer to the Metra station was not even a consideration.
That is bad enough.

I'm still not seeing any evidence of a secondary solution by implementing a separated enclosed pedestrian walkway (with a moving walkway given the distance) from the West side of the complex (ATS stations) to the East side of the complex (potential Amtrak/Metra/O'Hare express).

Unless there is one that I am not seeing or the idea to ever extend the ATS in the future wasn't ever contemplated. I fear I am seeing a very bad missed opportunity. I don't know if planners just find the idea of HSR/Metra ridership/or O'Hare express connections at that spot EVER to be on the whole unrealistic or what.

It's baffling that I feel like I am seeing the the beginning of Midway/CTA planning integration error part II.

diablo234 liked this post
Old May 30th, 2015, 12:14 PM   #210
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Pretty darn cool

Classic Airliners - "Observation Deck O'Hare" - 1965

Maybe the best plane spotting video I've seen
Good Morning Chicago O'Hare! - HD Plane Spotting - Various Airlines & Airliners

patel2897 liked this post
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:03 PM   #211
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...mn.html#page=1

Chicago surveys fliers as Rahm's rhetoric on O'Hare express train heats up

CHICAGO TRIBUNE
May 31, 2015

Chicago wants to know: How do you get to O'Hare?
The CTA and the city of Chicago are surveying thousands of passengers who use O'Hare International Airport to learn more about their trips, focusing on how people commute to and from the airport.

The $280,000 survey that runs through June asks how people access the airport — options include personal or rental car, taxicab, limousine, ride-hailing services like Uber X or public transit — and whether they use the parking garage, economy lots or People Mover transit system. It even asks even how many bags they tote onto planes.........

In Chicago, the trip on a faster train, which would not replace the existing all-stop Blue Line, would take 25 minutes or less each way, and customers would pay $20 to $25, earlier studies have proposed.

It's what business travelers have been screaming for over the years, but the idea never got much past the drawing board under the administrations of former Mayor Richard M. Daley or former Gov. Pat Quinn. Their proposals explored using either the existing Blue Line right of way or the Metra North Central Service corridor, which runs between Union Station in the West Loop and Antioch with a stop at the O'Hare transfer station. That station is outside the airport at the dead end of Zemke Boulevard east of Mannheim Road.........

The Midwest High Speed Rail Association has separately proposed a service that it calls O'Hare Direct. The trip between downtown and O'Hare could take as little as 15 minutes, and trains could be routed to include a stop under McCormick Place, according to the association, which advocates on behalf of a crosstown O'Hare connection as part of a national network of 220 mph passenger trains...........

Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:03 AM   #212
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Copa is adding four additional flights to Chicago O' Hare from Panama.

COPA AIRLINES EXPANDS SERVICE FROM CHICAGO TO LATIN AMERICA

Quote:
CHICAGO, May 22, 2015 - Copa Airlines announced it will expand service between Chicago and Panama City this summer. Beginning July 2, 2015, Copa will operate four additional flights a week from O'Hare International Airport to Copa's Hub of the Americas at Tocumen International Airport in Panama, Republic of Panama. The additional seasonal service will continue through August 23, 2015.

Copa Airlines currently offers daily nonstop service between Chicago O'Hare and Panama City on a B737-800 with 160 seats (16 business class/144 economy), with flights departing from Chicago to Panama City at 9 a.m. and arriving to Chicago from Panama City at 12:15 a.m. The additional flights will occur on Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Friday, with flights arriving to Chicago at 1:17 p.m. and departing from Chicago at 2:47 p.m. The in-flight time is approximately five hours.

Old June 29th, 2015, 12:24 AM   #213
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Gary Airport

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...ry.html#page=1

In the air: Gary searches for best aviation future

June 24, 2015

Once the runway extension project is complete on Thursday, a wealth of aviation possibilities could open up for the Gary/Chicago International Airport.

But it's not as simple as an "If you build it, they will come" scenario to attract various aviation sectors and potential businesses to locate around the airport.

Infrastructure improvements will be necessary as well as environmental mitigation to nearby properties and constructing a customs facility to make international travel easier for carriers.

The airport laid out some of its strategy for the next few years in a vision document airport operator AvPORTS released in March........

Airport director Dan Vicari said plans are in motion to improve Airport Road and its streetscaping between Cline Avenue and Chase Street. The project will likely start next summer and will occur in three phases.

Regional Development Authority Executive Director Bill Hanna said infrastructure improvements are crucial from both a practical and aesthetic standpoint.

"We also need to look at improved access issues from the Indiana Toll Road," Hanna said. "When you think about companies or passengers coming here, you have to think about the quality of approach from an automobile perspective. Midway doesn't have a lot of that because it's in the middle of a busy residential neighborhood...........

Gary airport officials have already started spreading the word about their new 8,900-foot runway. Airport general manager Delbert Brown met with five airlines while attending the Jump Start Air Service Development Conference in Seattle earlier this month, he said.

"It will help us develop a targeted marketing and incentive program to demonstrate how we can support airlines with a larger runway," assistant airport manager Hank Mook said at last week's airport authority board meeting..........

Grow corporate aviation base

The vision document said that Gary can leverage its proximity to Chicago with potential corporate aviation clients. The airport has a significant background in corporate aviation as its been the home of Boeing's corporate fleet for several years. Six airplanes help transport Boeing executives all around the world. About 75 employees are based in Gary, including pilots, flight attendants, schedulers and maintenance crews.

Lane said Midway is expanding its Southwest Airlines passenger service, which could shift more corporate and general aviation to Gary...........
Quote:
http://www.nwitimes.com/business/fro...a3f02402b.html

.......Despite the beleaguered position of the project just two-and-a-half years ago, this week, corporate jet aircraft and others began landing and taking off on an expanded 8,900-foot main runway.

In addition, the runway now has federally mandated 1,000-foot safety areas at either end, heading off a threat by federal regulators to curtail some of the airport's most important activities. And a major rail line now loops far around the airport's northwest end, rather than on a 38-foot-high embankment smack up against the end of the main runway.

Observers and airport users are saying the longer runway opens up new possibilities for the airport, including a shot at attracting regularly scheduled air service........
Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...625-story.html

Runway opens to smooth landing

June, 25, 2015

A little more than an hour after opening Gary/Chicago International Airport's newly expanded 8,900-foot runway Thursday morning, the first aircraft — a cargo plane from El Paso, Texas — landed with ease........

An official grand opening for the runway is scheduled to take place on July 10 at the airport.

Expanding the runway from its previous length of 7,000 feet will allow for heavier planes to land in Gary as well as enabling them to go further.........

Over the next year, Norfolk Southern and CSX will be finishing up work on improvements made to reroute their tracks away from the land needed for the runway expansion. Coming to a final agreement with the Canadian National, CSX and Norfolk Southern railroads was critical to pushing the project across the finish line. Before October 2014, an elevated railroad berm used by CN on one of its busiest stretch of tracks in the United Stated blocked the existing runway and its 1,900-foot expansion section from being linked.

Now that the runway is open, airport management hope to improve the roads and other infrastructure around the airport, build a customs facility, bring back commercial service by 2017, and explore opportunities in corporate and cargo aviation...........

Last edited by nomarandlee; July 10th, 2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old July 1st, 2015, 03:27 AM   #214
N830MH

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post

Are you talking about MDW runway? The runway is too short. Why they don't have extended the runway?
N830MH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 08:06 AM   #215
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Are you talking about MDW runway? The runway is too short. Why they don't have extended the runway?
No. It is about Gary Airport. An airport 25 miles outside of Chicago vying to become the 3rd airport of the region.

Some politicians in Illinois/Peotone and Rockford also have ideas for that title.
Old August 7th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #216
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Midway Airport......$250 million upgrades

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...806-story.html

Midway Airport to get $248 million upgrade

By Gregory Karp
Chicago Tribune
contact the reporter

Those annoyingly long security lines at Midway International Airport could be shortened by a major $248 million remodeling of the airport over the next several years, also slated to include more parking, restaurants and shops, according to a proposal announced by city officials Thursday.

Under the plan, to be paid for by airport operations and the federal government, the pedestrian bridge over Cicero Avenue would expand from 60 to 300 feet wide, adding 80,000 square feet to the security waiting area. The number of lanes would increase from 17 to 27, Mayor Rahm Emanuel said........

The bad news for travelers passing through Midway security is that the expansion could be years away, as plans are still in the design phase and the whole project is tentatively slated to be completed in 2020.........

All told, concession space at Midway will increase 50 percent.

The project calls for renovating concession areas, stores and restaurants while adding shopping, dining, lounge facilities, spa services and medical services. Concession areas will also feature "the best of Chicago through iconic brands and concepts while providing opportunities for local businesses and residents," the city said in a news release.........

The parking garage expansion, good news for travelers frustrated with being shuttle-bused from economy lots, involves adding four levels — and 1,400 parking spaces. The passageway from the Orange Line will also be remodeled, Emanuel said.........
Old August 10th, 2015, 01:11 AM   #217
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
No. It is about Gary Airport. An airport 25 miles outside of Chicago vying to become the 3rd airport of the region.

Some politicians in Illinois/Peotone and Rockford also have ideas for that title.
GYY makes 10000000x more sense than Peotone.

And Midway is in the middle of the city, and has no spare land to expand to.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:29 AM   #218
godgame
BANNED

Likes (Received): 650

klm.b777 liked this post
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 10:54 PM   #219
jay stew

Likes (Received): 293

I flew out of Midway Airport a few weeks ago, it makes a pretty secondary airport.

It was a bit of a walk from the terminal to the Orange Line though.
jay stew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 01:48 AM   #220
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay stew View Post
I flew out of Midway Airport a few weeks ago, it makes a pretty secondary airport.

It was a bit of a walk from the terminal to the Orange Line though.
It will still be the same distance to the walk but as part of the new upgrades they are supposed to upgrade the tunnels that go from the airport to the train station. Hopefully that will involve some moving walkways.

Tags
chicago, illinois, northamerica airport hubs, us airports