daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2016, 10:28 AM   #221
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

$1.3 billion deal for new O'Hare runway and upgrades.

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ation-airlines

january 30, 2016
$1.3 billion deal reached for new O'Hare runway
Comments Email Print

GREG HINZ ON POLITICS

The city and major airlines have reached an agreement on a roughly $1.3 billion deal to build the last of the proposed new runways under the O'Hare Modernization Program—and new gates at the airfield are likely to be added to the mix soon, too.

Doing that work will free up space that can be used to expand O'Hare's existing terminals and add badly needed new gates. City Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans declined to say how many gates. But she spoke in terms of not only new gates, but whole new concourses, and said she expects to hammer out that deal by yearend.......

In-air delays actually are way down since the modernization project began, she said. The problem is on the ground, with too few gates and too much congestion.

The new runway—construction is set to begin in May and be competed in 2020—and related work will change that, not only boosting landing capacity but physically removing an impediment to potentially expand O'Hare's existing domestic Terminals 1, 2 and 3, she said.........

MORE GATES, PLEASE

The airport has enough demand from carriers for another 2,100 linear feet of terminal (likely enough for several gates), Evans contended. "All of the carriers want more gates. United, American, Spirit, JetBlue. There's no question about it."

Evans said she does not want to get ahead of already-begun negotiations, but said she expects to have a conceptual plan in six months and an actual agreement within nine months.........
Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...129-story.html

Emanuel gets O'Hare runway deal, but no new gates means delays continue

The agreement, which the mayor formally announced Saturday, calls for spending $1.3 billion to build a sixth east-west runway at the airfield’s north end, de-icing pads to get planes to take off more quickly and new taxiways to pick up the pace of planes going to and from far-flung gates, city officials said.

However, the plan does not include additional terminal space that would increase the number of gates at the nation's second-busiest airport — something Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans said was needed to address flight delays when Emanuel appointed her last year.........

Evans said the deal also includes plans for new hangars and ground-support equipment buildings. And the mayor said the city is making plans to build a pair of hotels and upgrade the Hilton that's already there.

The hotels "will allow Chicago, for the business it used to lose, to win that back," Emanuel said. "Dallas is doing that. Denver is doing that. So that's kind of the new thing. ... That's a great source of revenue we don't have today."........

Evans said the next big effort is to negotiate new use and lease agreements with United and American, with the current ones set to expire in 2018.

Since 2005, the city has spent about $10 billion on the modernization project. Despite the construction of new runways in a parallel, east-west configuration designed to increase capacity and efficiency, O'Hare continues to have some of the longest flight delays among large U.S. airports.

"The shortage of gates is a serious issue that has to be addressed," said travel industry analyst Henry Harteveldt of San Francisco-based Atmosphere Research Group. The shortage not only causes delays but also drives up the price of flying in and out of O'Hare because it limits the ability of lower-cost airlines like Spirit and Virgin America to add flights.

Evans reiterated Friday that new gates are an important piece of untying the O'Hare gridlock, but she said the improvements that have been agreed to will clear the way for eventual new terminals by removing an old diagonal runway and taxiway system that's blocking development at the north end of the airport.

"When you take those two things out, we end up with a massive piece of real estate to develop, and that is what will allow us to completely modernize O'Hare," Evans said.........

Although he questioned the $1.3 billion price tag for the new work, travel industry analyst Harteveldt did say the new runway and de-icing pads should improve efficiency and reliability and help the city keep United and American happy. Moving de-icing pads away from the terminal buildings, in particular, will allow departing planes to leave gates more quickly, creating space for arriving planes to reach their gates, he said.

The new runway will be 11,245 feet long, which makes it capable of handling "the biggest airplanes on the planet," Evans said. "These are the large airplanes that go to Hong Kong, Shanghai and Sydney.".........

Once the new runway is complete, the annual capacity for O'Hare airport takeoffs and landings will increase from 214 an hour to 267, or about 25 percent, she said.

Evans also said the new de-icing pads, which will move those wintertime operations away from the gates where they now take place, will free up the gates for other planes to use. The new taxiway configuration also will help, Evans said..........

Another point the anti-noise advocates won't like: The plan requires closing and demolishing a diagonal runway they wanted the city to maintain to spread flights out in areas near O'Hare. One of four diagonals already has been shut down, and another must go to help clear the land where the city envisions new terminals, Evans said.
//

Last edited by nomarandlee; February 3rd, 2016 at 12:15 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2016, 11:34 PM   #222
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

They also need a new terminal layout too. Go along the lines of Atlanta and rebuild the whole terminal complex.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:12 AM   #223
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 581

ORD has enough runways. They really need new terminals and more gates.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 07:02 AM   #224
N830MH

Likes (Received): 80

MDW/GYY/ORD/RFD | Chicagoland Airports

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR66 View Post
They also need a new terminal layout too. Go along the lines of Atlanta and rebuild the whole terminal complex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post

Right!!! I'm agree with that. It's time to build a new terminals & the gates, as well as new FIS in the entire terminal.
N830MH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 03:41 AM   #225
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Right!!! I'm agree with that. It's time to build a new terminals & the gates, as well as new FIS in the entire terminal.
Its more about re-orienting the ones they have. Old configuration was several crossing runways which limits capacity. The modernization plan is re-orienting them so that the major ones are all parallel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Ha...rnization_plan

I agree the current terminal arrangement is a little inefficient, confusing, disorganized, etc, but it would require a multi-billion$ new terminal complex to replace all the current gates (edit, which aren't that old really...). Good luck getting airlines to agree to new fees for that.
Old February 8th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #226
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://chicago.suntimes.com/business...ew-ohare-gates

Emanuel strikes deal with American Airlines for new O'Hare gates

WRITTEN BY TINA SFONDELES AND FRAN SPIELMAN POSTED: 02/06/2016

Just days after announcing a $1.3 billion deal to build a new runway at O’Hare Airport, Mayor Rahm Emanuel has struck a deal with American Airlines, which will build five new gates.

It’s the missing piece to the puzzle for the massive new runway — which, at 11,245 feet long and 200 feet wide, will become O’Hare’s second-biggest.

American Airlines will pick up the cost of the project to add the gates to Terminal 3 by 2018; that will increase capacity and help the airport’s on-time performance, the mayor’s office is set to announce Saturday...........

American Airlines says it now has 66 gates at Terminal 3, which handles both domestic and international flights for American. International departures go out of Terminal 3 and arrive at Terminal 5, where U.S. Customs and Border Protections is located.

The five new gates will be added to Terminal 3′s Concourse L, a spokeswoman said.

American estimated the project cost at $55 million to $75 million.

Total gates at O’Hare will grow to 195 — the first major expansion of gate capacity at O’Hare since 1993. It’s also the first major domestic gate expansion since Terminal 1 was built in 1987.........

The city plans to talk with every airline at O’Hare about new gates and terminal expansion, the mayor’s office says.
Old February 14th, 2016, 01:23 AM   #227
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

O'Hare express train service

Lots of O'Hare news lately.........

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...213-story.html

Emanuel tries to resurrect O'Hare express train plan

Feb. 13, 2016

Mayor Rahm Emanuel is trying to resurrect Chicago's long-elusive plan for an express train from downtown to O'Hare International Airport by hiring an engineering firm to look at possible routes and costs.

It's a preliminary step, and the Emanuel administration isn't sure who would pay for the massive project, which could run into the billions of dollars.

Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans said Friday the city will look for a private company to cover construction costs and operate the system, but it's likely public money would go into building stations at the airport and downtown if the project moves ahead. There also might be one other station along the line, she said, if it looks like an opportunity exists somewhere between downtown and the airport to spur development and increase ridership. Evans would not offer any guarantee that additional tax money wouldn't be needed for the project........

If an express train does get built, one-time tickets would likely cost about $30 or $35, with many of those passes purchased by business travelers and tourists, she said. Less expensive monthly passes and family discounts also might be available, she said........

Block 37 is off the table as the downtown terminal, Evans said, citing "technical concerns" brought to her attention in a recent meeting by representatives of the CTA and other regional travel agencies. The downtown station for the express line might be built in a "high-growth neighborhood" such as the West Loop or River North, Evans said......
Old May 7th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #228
Harry_Harry

Likes (Received): 36

59 minutes layover in ORD?

Hey guys,

I don't know if this is the right section to ask for information so if it is not, well, sorry!

On August 16 I have to fly from Norfolk VA to Vancouver Canada and I found this offer with United Airlines for about 500 USD which I'm fine with.

ORF - ORD 10:00 am 11:16 am
ORD - YVR 12:15 pm 02:50 pm

Basically I have a 59 minutes layover in Chicago O'Hare. I've never been to ORD and I've never used United. What do you think? Am I gonna be able to catch my flight to Vancouver or do you this 59 minutes are not enough?

Thanks in advance.
Harry_Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #229
shakman

Location: PRMD - People's Republic of Maryland (via Richmond, VA)
Likes (Received): 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Harry View Post
Hey guys,

I don't know if this is the right section to ask for information so if it is not, well, sorry!

On August 16 I have to fly from Norfolk VA to Vancouver Canada and I found this offer with United Airlines for about 500 USD which I'm fine with.

ORF - ORD 10:00 am 11:16 am
ORD - YVR 12:15 pm 02:50 pm

Basically I have a 59 minutes layover in Chicago O'Hare. I've never been to ORD and I've never used United. What do you think? Am I gonna be able to catch my flight to Vancouver or do you this 59 minutes are not enough?

Thanks in advance.
My opinion is that 59-minutes is a tight time frame between your flights. Especially if your connecting flight is on a different concourse than where you have arrived.

"Followers do what is normal; leaders set examples"

-sb
shakman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 09:32 PM   #230
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

If they both arrive and depart from Terminal 1 I think you should be fine.
Old May 13th, 2016, 09:59 PM   #231
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Long TSA lines at Midway Airport

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 06:56 AM   #232
NikolasM

Likes (Received): 22

That is absolutely insane.
NikolasM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 03:45 AM   #233
MilkChocholate
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
O'HARE will not get direct flights to Havana
July 07, 2016

CHICAGO (WLS) -- O'Hare did not make the list of U.S. airports approved to offer non-stop flights to Havana, Cuba.

The Department of Transportation gave tentative approval for direct routes out of select cities for eight airlines.

United and American airlines both asked for permission to fly direct between O'Hare and Havana. Chicago-based United is approved to offer non-stop service, but only out of its hubs in Newark and Houston.

The U.S. cities are Atlanta; Charlotte, North Carolina; Houston; Los Angeles; Newark, New Jersey; New York; and four in Florida - Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa. Of the 20 daily nonstop flights allowed to Havana, 14 are from Florida, home to the largest population of Cuban-Americans.

The other airlines are Alaska, American, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest and Spirit.

http://abc7chicago.com/travel/ohare-will-not-get-direct-flights-to-havana/1417813/
MilkChocholate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:48 AM   #234
MilkChocholate
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Air traffic controllers question safety of O'Hare runway rotation
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/160719899/

Months of negotiations culminated Wednesday in the debut of an overnight runway rotation test at O'Hare International Airport intended to give sleepless residents relief by distributing jet noise across the region.

The runway rotation, which is voluntary, changes weekly. Parallel and diagonal ones will be in the mix as well as 10,801- and 13,000-foot-long behemoths and shorter runways ranging from 7,500 to 9,600 feet.

"The reality is, those jets require those runways," said Guy Lieser, a retired air traffic controller and pilot. "There will be issues with heavy jets, especially if there's bad weather and the runways are slicker."
here is the
MilkChocholate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #235
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

BIG NEWS. More gates!

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...714-story.html

Emanuel to announce plan to add new gates at O'Hare

.......Up to nine gates will be added to the 25 now at Terminal 5, said Aviation Department spokesman Owen Kilmer. He added that the $300 million cost will be paid for with existing passenger facility charges — the fee tacked onto each airplane ticket.

The second part of what Emanuel wants to do is much bigger: The demolition and reconstruction of Terminal 2, at a cost of billions of dollars. But it's also murkier. Kilmer said construction details and funding "are still being discussed with our airline partners."

Terminal 2 would become the central terminal at O'Hare. Amenities in the rebuilt terminal could include a new U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility, a departure hall with additional space for TSA passenger screening, concessions and passenger amenities, city officials said.

The revamped central terminal also could include new concourses to be constructed to the west as airline passenger demand grows.........

Space is being made for the terminal expansion through the demolition of old structures and runways in a $1.3 billion project to add a sixth east-west runway the mayor announced in late January. That project also includes new taxiways and de-icing pads. In addition, there are plans to build two new hotels at the airport.

When that work was announced, Emanuel and Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans conceded that new gates would be crucial but were not part of that plan. But they contended that the removal of old runways and structures that was part of the plan laid the groundwork to make a deal on new gates............
Quote:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ens-soon-after

July 14, 2016
O'Hare gate deal takes off—nine more now, likely dozens soon after

GREG HINZ

The exact size of the expansion is still in flux, with Evans saying only that airlines have submitted their requests and "everyone wants more gates." But it appears the new gates will rival the net 25 new gates added when United Airlines Terminal 1 opened in 1987 and possibly be exceeded only by the entire O'Hare footprint when it opened in the 1960s.

According to city officials, the expansion will come in two pieces.

First, the existing Terminal 5, which now serves only international flights, will have nine gates added to the current 24. The new gates will go on the east end of the terminal, where some small structures recently were demolished.......

The much larger second phase—'in the billions of dollars," according to Evans—will be the demolition and replacement of Terminal 2, O'Hare's oldest, originally built a half century ago.

Because O'Hare is tearing out a diagonal runway, hundreds of acres of space are being opened to the west of the terminal, Evans said. Not all will be used for terminals, but the "terminal platform" will roughly triple, to nearly 650 acres over all........

Evans said the new Terminal 2—which also could accommodate international flights and include a customs station and many more concession outlets—may be complete in "eight to 10 years," with the replacement gates open in five to seven years.

Notably absent from the announcement are any plans for a once proposed terminal on O'Hare's western end. But officials have continued discussions about western ground access, something would allow hotel and other development in DuPage County.
CURRENT Layout
via chicagobusiness.com

FUTURE potential Layout (placeholder/scheme)
via chicagobusiness.com

MilkChocholate, phoenixboi08, shakman liked this post
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2016, 06:39 PM   #236
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...715-story.html

More gates at O'Hare could mean fewer delays, less crowding: city, expert

Hal Dardick and Mary Wisniewski Contact Reporters
Chicago Tribune

In a move that could reduce passenger delays, the major airlines operating out of O'Hare International Airport have agreed to not only add up to nine gates but also a more ambitious plan to rebuild Terminal 2.

The CEOs of the major rival O'Hare airlines — United and American — were on stage at a news conference at O'Hare Friday, along with Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans and U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D), all enthusing about what the multibillion dollar expansion could do for the city's economy........

The current Terminal 2 layout is congested for both planes looking to arrive or depart, and for customers waiting for their flights, said DePaul University transportation expert Joseph Schwieterman.

"It creates a claustrophobic experience," Schwieterman said. He said the design worked well 40 years ago, but now causes delays for flights due to the awkward layout, and even a minute's delay can cause lengthy repercussions..........

Up to nine gates will be added to the 25 now at Terminal 5, with design to start next week and the gates opening in 2019, Evans said. The $300 million cost will be paid for with existing passenger facility charges — the fee tacked onto each airplane ticket.

The second part of Emanuel's plan for O'Hare is much bigger: the demolition and reconstruction of Terminal 2, at a cost of billions of dollars. How to pay for this still has to be worked out with the airlines, as well as the exact configuration of the terminal — six proposals were on display at the news conference..........

Evans said negotiations for the new agreement will continue over the next 18 months. Evans also said the airlines are "very supportive of the project," which will allow both the hub airline and other airlines to grow.

"We are all very mindful this is a historical opportunity to get it right for O'Hare," Evans told reporters after the announcement. She said this means all parties will be "very careful" in deciding which configuration to select.........

Nine new gates at O'Hare

Amenities in the rebuilt Terminal 2 could include a new U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility, a departure hall with additional space for TSA passenger screening, concessions and passenger amenities, city officials say.

The revamped central terminal also could include new concourses to be constructed to the west as airline passenger demand grows.........
Old July 16th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #237
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2208

Did the City of Chicago buy a small airport to the south somewhere.?
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #238
iloveblr
VOBLR

Likes (Received): 3207

Hey guys can anyone help me where i can get the latest figures for TOP 25 airports in the USA,CANADA,MEXICO(Basically NA) for the calendar year 2015 by total pax handled???
iloveblr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2016, 07:05 AM   #239
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Did the City of Chicago buy a small airport to the south somewhere.?
Not that I know of.

The state of Illinois has bought a whole bunch of land near Peotone Illinois (about approx. 35 miles south of Chicago) for decades now for a potential 3rd airport. I am skeptical it will ever come to fruition.
Old July 19th, 2016, 09:16 PM   #240
mmanning169

Likes (Received): 0

Here is my vision for the new O’Hare.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...3FrXy1qMk96OFU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...V9yRWlqN28tNmM

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...Hh0dTBDbWRiQXc
mmanning169 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, illinois, northamerica airport hubs, us airports