daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #241
NikolasM

Likes (Received): 22

That's a heck of a vision but I can't imagine in this day and age that they'd allow a highway right under the terminals like that.
NikolasM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2016, 11:51 PM   #242
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolasM View Post
That's a heck of a vision but I can't imagine in this day and age that they'd allow a highway right under the terminals like that.
my favourite Terminal redevelopment is LHR

historic:
http://www.pilotfriend.com/UK_airfie...hrow%20air.jpg

now:
https://www.google.at/maps/@51.46953.../data=!3m1!1e3

future (ignore additional runway and new terminal):
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...9777127691.jpg

-> high number of gates, very short taxi distances, less taxi conflicts for fast operation

go to O'Hare, there is place for a modern terminal on the west side like Terminal 5 in LHR,
additional if i see Terminal 5 at OHare, a lot of space there in combination with I190 and the runway 14L/32R is closed and wont be opened again
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 09:17 AM   #243
NikolasM

Very true. If you realigned I-190 further north you could easily double or triple the size of terminal 5.
Old September 20th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #244
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...htmlstory.html

Six ways the city has imagined radically revamping O'Hare
By Nausheen Husain O'Hare International Airport United Continental Holdings Chicago Transit Authority

At the center of the city's plans for the future of O'Hare International Airport is an idea to make Terminal 2 the central part of the airport. What would this look like?

The city is in the middle of a years-long planning process aimed at giving form to the changes that would add gates, amenities and transform the passenger experience. The City Council approved $3.5 billion in borrowing for runway and Terminal 5 work. As part of its plans for Terminal 5 released this summer, the city provided, without much explanation, six schematics for changes to Terminal 2. The city didn't provide much more information about the schematics when contacted by the Tribune. To understand these airport ideas, the Tribune reached out to Joseph Schwieterman, an urban planning professor and transportation expert at DePaul University.

The most telling feature, Schwieterman said, is that each rendering includes an O'Hare express line, a train that would run from the Loop to the airport. The inclusion of the express line in every rendering is a clear signal of its priority, though plans for such a line are far from reality.

Source: Chicago Tribune

Source: Chicago Tribune

phoenixboi08 liked this post
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #245
NikolasM

I think the first plan is very interesting. Nested terminals in the same loop, I assume the new one is for international airlines. Still doesn't provide western access but is that necessary? (I don't live there) It seems like an elegant solution. I do think that the APM for the western half should continue further east so that it terminates close to that second stop on the eastern/international APM for easier transfers.

Last edited by NikolasM; September 21st, 2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old October 9th, 2016, 08:44 PM   #246
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

Likes (Received): 6713

EMBRAER ERJ-190AR | 2XGE CF34-10E5A1 MACH 0.622 (811 KPH - 504 MPH) | AIR CANADA | C-FMZW | 09/18/2016 | O'HARE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Image of my authorship
Casa Atlântica | Single project of Zaha Hadid to South America in Rio >> BP / ES
Fabricio JF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #247
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

BOEING 777-381ER | 2X GE GE90-115B MACH 0.84 (892 KPH - 554 MPH) | ALL NIPPON AIRWAYS | JA736A | 09/18/2016 | O'HARE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Image of my authorship
Casa Atlântica | Single project of Zaha Hadid to South America in Rio >> BP / ES
Old October 16th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #248
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

BOEING 777-222ER | 2XPRATT & WHITNEY PW4090 MACH 0.72 (885 KPH - 550 MPH) | UNITED AIRLINES | N793UA | 09/18/2016 | O'HARE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Image of my authorship
Old October 16th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #249
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

BOEING 777-222ER | 2XPRATT & WHITNEY PW4090 MACH 0.72 (885 KPH - 550 MPH) | UNITED AIRLINES | N204UA | 09/18/2016 | O'HARE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Image of my authorship
Old October 16th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #250
Dam

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricio JF View Post
Image of my authorship[/SIZE]
Seriouly? This photo is so special it has to be posted in 3 threads?
Dam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 03:14 AM   #251
CollegeAviator

Likes (Received): 255

ORD Airport T1

Concourse B of Chicago O'Hare International Airport

Lufthansa Flight LH431 B747-8i from Chicago O'Hare to Frankfurt

Facebook page, many aviation pictures!: https://www.facebook.com/collegeaviator/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/c/CollegeAviator

Munwon liked this post
CollegeAviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 04:22 PM   #252
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52082

Chicago O&#x27;hare Airport by Ruel Calitis, on Flickr

Chicago O'hare Airport

All rights reserved. © 2015. Ruel Calitis

ChiCityAtty11, Munwon liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #253
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...s-a-sneak-peek

September 29, 2017
The new O'Hare: Here's a sneak peek
Comments Email Print

GREG HINZ
AND MICHAEL ARNDT

In a presentation this morning to the Economic Club of Chicago, Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans released a near-final expansion design that calls for construction of a huge international terminal with customs facilities where the now solely domestic and aged Terminal 2 now stands.

Also on the drawing board: Expansion of Terminal 1, where O'Hare's largest carrier, United Airlines, now is based.......

The O'Hare 21 plan (named by Mayor Rahm Emanuel himself, Evans said) will expand O'Hare's concourse frontage by 23 percent, allowing the addition of about 30 standard-sized gates, up from the 185 gates it now has.......

Under the plan, the city would tear down Terminal 2 in sections to avoid disrupting operations like at New York's LaGuardia Airport, which is a mess. The new "Global Terminal," as Evans said she'd like to rechristen Terminal 2, provide international passengers flying on United, American and their foreign partner airlines easy access to domestic flights. In other words, no longer would most connecting travelers have to maneuver with their baggage from Terminal 5 to Terminals 1, 2 or 3. Other new gates would be provided by extending United's current remote Concourse C in Terminal 1, requiring the construction of new tunnels.

Doing all of that would free up space in Terminal 5, which could be converted at least in part to domestic service, allowing more space for Delta, JetBlue, Spirit and Delta, all of which reportedly are interested in adding gate space here.

In essence, she said, Terminal 1 would be devoted to United and its Star Alliance partners; Terminal 3 would be used by American and its oneworld partners; and Terminal 5 would house Delta and its SkyTeam partners.
via Crains Chicago
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:54 AM   #254
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/11/1...ity-concession

Upgrades headed to Midway Airport look to elevate the passenger experience
An improved security facility will be seven times wider than Midway's current TSA checkpoint

BY JAY KOZIARZ NOV 13, 2017,

Heralded as the largest improvement program at Midway in nearly 20 years, the new 80,000-square-foot “security hall” will bridge Cicero Avenue to better connect the Airside Terminal Building to the Landside Terminal Building.

Designed by Chicago-based architect Muller+Muller, the $104 million facility broke ground last month and is expected to be complete by late 2019/early 2020.......

Meanwhile, a $75 million renovation of the airport’s dining options is planned to take the place of Midway’s existing security checkpoint. According to Eater Chicago, the multi-phase project will see the current concession area increase from 26,000 to 70,000 square feet and will include 19 new restaurants........

An improved pedway to the CTA’s Orange Line is also part of the project......

Tags
chicago, illinois, northamerica airport hubs, us airports