daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #81
athen

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red85 View Post
Where is KL?
Daily 747-400 KL611 AMS-ORD and KL612 ORD-AMS

Not that i'm proud of my national carrier but they should be added.

I think AF and KL, part of the Sky Team alliance with Delta, have cut their service to ORD (from CDG and AMS Schiphol, respectively) for the winter season from October to March. AZ is cutting its Rome FCO to ORD service from December to March.
athen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #82
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3713

Is Terminal 5 going to get better food and retail choices?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #83
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

Yes.

Quote:
Jul 28

City Council Approves Concession Redevelopment and Management Lease Agreement for International Terminal 5 at O'Hare International Airport

Today, the Chicago City Council approved an ordinancethat will allow the City to enter into a Concession Redevelopment and Management Lease Agreement with Westfield Concessions Management, LLC. The agreement provides for a complete redevelopment of the concessions program in International Terminal 5 at O'Hare International Airport to add new food and beverage, news and gifts, specialty retail, and duty-free locations.

"This agreement will bring 280 new jobs to Chicago and improve the travel experience of Chicagoans and visitors from around the world who fly through O'Hare International Airport," said Mayor Rahm Emanuel. "The new concessions program in Terminal 5 will reflect our City's world-class shopping and dining experiences, featuring local, national and international brands."

Westfield was the successful respondent, unanimously selected by a 20-member evaluation committee, after a thorough and transparent 16-month request for proposal process. The agreement provides for Westfield to redevelop and manage concessions in International Terminal 5. It does not privatize the terminal itself. Rather, the City retains ownership of the asset and has the opportunity, at the 10year anniversary of the agreement, to terminate the agreement without cause.

Westfield and its operators will invest approximately $26 million to redevelop the terminal's concession program. This will include the creation of 280 new jobs.

"We welcome Westfield Management to O'Hare to provide new offerings to travelers at International Terminal 5," said Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) Commissioner Rosemarie S. Andolino. "Westfield's redevelopment plans for the International Terminal will reflect Mayor Rahm Emanuel's vision to bring world class amenities to a world class city."

The redevelopment of Terminal 5 also provides for the relocation of the security checkpoints to open up prime concession space and the build out of several new concession spaces within the airside location (post security) of the terminal. In total there will be over 25 concession spaces.

In addition, Westfield will pay the City annual rent commensurate with revenue generated at Terminal 5 each year. The annual rent to be paid by Westfield will be either $3.00 per actual international enplanement from Terminal 5 in the prior calendar year or a percentage rent of 16 percent of gross sales, whichever is greater. The $3.00 per enplanement will be tied to the Consumer Price Index to account for inflation.

Westfield Concessions Management LLC is owned by the Westfield Group. The Westfield Group is one of the largest retail property groups in the world. Westfield is known for its portfolio of shopping centers including: Chicago Ridge, Old Orchard, Skokie, FoxValley, Aurora, Hawthorn, Vernon Hills and Louis, Joliet.

Additionally, Westfield Concessions Management holds leases or management contracts at the following airports: Boston - Logan, Orlando, Houston (George Bush), JFK, Miami, Newark Liberty, Ronald Regan National and Washington Dulles International Airports.

Based on the capital investment, the rent to be paid to the airport and Westfield's experience and qualifications, the selection of Westfield represents the best deal for the City of Chicago.

O'Hare's International Terminal 5 was built in 1993. Currently, 24 air carriers operate from the terminal's 21 common-use gate. There were approximately 1.7 million enplanements at Terminal 5 in 2010. Enplanements are defined as revenue passengers boarding an aircraft.

O'Hare InternationalAirport consistently ranks as one of the world's busiest airports offering nonstop and direct service to nearly 200 cities worldwide. Fifty-five commercial carriers operate out of 189 gates at O'Hare, carrying more than 67 million passengers annually.

Last edited by nomarandlee; September 27th, 2011 at 02:07 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #84
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Volaris to start service from Chicago-Midway to Mexico City, Morelia, and Zacatecas starting November 6.

Mexico City replaces Tijuana as Volaris’ biggest base; three Chicago Midway services to start in November
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #85
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

RFD | Chicago Rockford International Airport

Quote:
Frontier Airlines Adds Nonstop Denver-Rockford Service; Offers Double EarlyReturns® Miles Systemwide in September
Jul 11, 2011
http://media.frontierairlines.com/ar...rticle_id=5276
Carrier Also Extends Selling Schedule Through Mid-March

DENVER, July 11, 2011 - Frontier Airlines, a wholly owned subsidiary of Republic Airways Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:RJET), today announced plans to add nonstop service between Denver (DEN) and Rockford, Ill. (RFD) to its route map.

Additionally, members of Frontier’s EarlyReturns frequent flyer program can earn double miles for every qualifying trip they take systemwide throughout September. For details and to register, visit FrontierAirlines.com/memberoffers.

The carrier also extended its selling schedule through March 18, 2012, which includes the resumption of its nonstop seasonal service between Denver and both Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Mexico (ZIH) and Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR).

Denver-Rockford nonstop service will operate three days each week beginning Dec. 15, 2011. Service will be provided on 138-seat Airbus 319 aircraft, which feature available STRETCH seating with up to 5 inches of additional legroom and 24 channels of DirecTV® at every seat. Frontier will be the only airline offering nonstop service on the new route.

“We're very happy to add Rockford to the growing list of mid-sized cities getting the full benefits of Frontier's low-fare, high-value service,” said Daniel Shurz, vice president of strategy and planning for Frontier.

“We are thrilled Frontier Airlines has added nonstop service between Rockford and Denver,” said Amy Ott, interim executive director of Chicago Rockford International Airport. “Frontier is a great fit for the Chicago Rockford International Airport; as a team we will offer passengers a low-cost, hassle-free travel experience.”

Introductory fares begin at $99 each way for the new Denver-Rockford nonstop service. The fares are available at FrontierAirlines.com/introfares through Sept. 30, 2011 for travel through March 18, 2012.

For more information or to purchase a Frontier flight, visit FrontierAirlines.com.
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #86
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19307

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Yes.
It should be done long time ago. I was really surprise how few shopping and dining options are there in Terminal 5.
Honestly it must be most commercially underused terminal I ever been to. Including small Europeans airports for budget airlines.
Even tent for EasyJet in Lyon has more to offer at the moment
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #87
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
It should be done long time ago. I was really surprise how few shopping and dining options are there in Terminal 5.
Honestly it must be most commercially underused terminal I ever been to. Including small Europeans airports for budget airlines.
Even tent for EasyJet in Lyon has more to offer at the moment
Most outgoing international flights use the other terminals so that probably explains why it has an "underused" feeling.
Old October 17th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #88
Jenner1

Likes (Received): 0

I flew to Italy from Terminal 5 in mid September, and I think the terminal needs a renovation. The security checkpoint was too crowded with a huge maze of lines going through the security machines. Once out of security, you step into the corridor which borders M8 and M9. In the corridor are vendor booths selling duty free items, which makes the corridor even more cramped. Has Westfield made any changes since being awarded the contract?

The signs were all in English with no provided translations. The bathrooms seemed small, and no indications were given as to whether or not stalls were "occupied". In fact, a woman had went into the men's restroom!

The corridor from M5 to M1 seemed OK, although most of that area is empty. I didn't get a chance to walk from M10 to M21.

I arrived back state-side in JFK, so I don't know what the arrival area looks like in T5. I assume that passengers arrive at the gate in the departure area and then have to go downstairs for customs. It would be nice to have one of those Google cameras inside the airport.

On the bright side, the check-in area seems really nice.

I'm thinking of writing a letter to the Dept of Aviation to complain.
Jenner1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:28 AM   #89
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

from an e-letter

Quote:
CDA Announces Solar Panels, Multi-Fuel Station at O'Hare

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel today joined Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) Commissioner Rosemarie S. Andolino in announcing new sustainability initiatives that will make Chicago's airports greener than ever during the kickoff of the 2011 Airports Going Green conference in Chicago.

The CDA announced it will pursue the development of a massive solar panel installation, as well as an alternative fueling station for private and commercial vehicles at O'Hare International Airport. The CDA also revealed it will launch a composting program for some restaurants operating at Midway International Airport.

"The CDA is proud to host the fourth annual Airports Going Green conference and to continue to lead by example by implementing the most innovative and progressive sustainability initiatives at O'Hare and MidwayInternationalAirports," said Andolino. "The solar panels will provide a substantial renewable energy source to help power O'Hare and the alternative fueling station will promote the use of clean fuels and electricity to power vehicles."

Both the Mayor and the Commissioner joined Karen Weigert, Chief Sustainability Officer for the City of Chicago, in providing welcome remarks at the conference.

In the next few weeks, the CDA will issue Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for the following two initiatives.

- The CDA will issue a request to the renewable energy development community to install and operate up to 60 acres of ground-mounted solar panels around O'Hare on vacant properties that are suitable for such development. The O'Hare solar panel systems will supply clean, renewable energy to the airport while helping grow the region's renewable energy market.

- The CDA is also inviting developers to construct and operate a fueling station that will supply multiple alternative fuels such as compressed natural gas, biodiesel, ethanol, and electric vehicle charging to commercial and private vehicles at and around O'Hare. This proposed development will leverage the City's new electric vehicle charging infrastructure and provide alternatives to conventionally fueled vehicles to the millions of drivers that travel to the airport each year.

"These initiatives are two examples of how the CDA is working to provide new, innovative opportunities for public-private partnership to grow the green economy in Chicago and beyond," said Andolino.

The CDA's new composting program, in partnership with Midway Airport Concessionaires (MAC One), will include 13 restaurants operating at Midway International Airport. Composting is the natural process of recycling organic waste into a rich soil called compost. Composting provides a cost-effective, sustainable waste disposal solution that yields many benefits including diversion of organic materials from landfills; use as natural, chemical-free fertilizer for food crops; and promotion of higher agricultural yields.

"The Midway composting program will help keep waste out of landfills and also provide a substantial source of food waste to be used as compost," Andolino said.

Under the program, all of MAC One's restaurants at Midway including Harry Caray's, Sprigs, Taylor Street Market and Tuscany will collect pre-consumer food waste. Pre-consumer food waste is the material that is discarded before reaching the consumer, such as what is generated from food preparation. Waste Management will collect compostable materials from the airport and deliver them to an off-site, certified composting facility in the Chicago area.

The Midway composting program complements the pilot program that the CDA launched earlier this month at O'Hare in partnership with HMSHost. Restaurants including Tortas Frontera by Rick Bayless, Stefani's Tuscany Café and Blackhawks Restaurant, are now collecting pre-consumer food waste for composting. In addition, all the Starbucks Coffee locations at O'Hare are now collecting coffee grounds for composting.

These major sustainability initiatives announced today, as well as many other current and future green initiatives in the aviation industry, are among the topics of discussion at the Airports Going Green conference hosted by the CDA and the American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE). Now in its fourth year, Airports Going Green is the industry's premier event for the development, communication, and active discussion of aviation sustainability initiatives.The three-day conference begins today and will culminate with a tour of the sustainability initiatives on the airfield and in the terminals at O'Hare International Airport on Wednesday.

The event features airport guest speakers from across the U.S. including Juneau - Alaska, Seattle Tacoma, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Dallas Fort-Worth, Denver and Atlanta-Hartsfield. Representatives from international airports including Abu Dhabi Airports Company, Toronto, and Amsterdam as well as officials from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the U.S. Trade and Development Agency, will also lead discussions on aviation sustainability at the conference.

Leaders from the restaurant, freight, design, construction, engineering, media, and transportation industries are also participating in Airports Going Green.

Sessions at the 2011 Airports Going Green include:

- Sustainable Concessions;

- Eliminating Waste;

- Green Transport and Inter-modal Connections;

- Sustainable Use and Reuse of Airport Facilities;

- the Future of Sustainability;

- Airlines "Going Green"; and

- Social Responsibility.

The conference concludes on Wednesday, November 2.
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #90
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

I alway feel ORD's natural lighting is the best out of all airports, your thought?

pics taken by me last month

Last edited by big-dog; November 7th, 2011 at 06:10 AM.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #91
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Depends on the terminal in question. Terminal 1 (the photo you posted) for example is pretty nice but the others are way more non-descript.
Old November 7th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #92
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

How many Korean Air flights serve O'Hare per day? I heard 3 per day, but I need confirmation.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #93
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Midway Recognized As Fastest-Growing U.S. Airport

The Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) received an anna.aero Airline Network News & Analysis award recognizing Midway International Airport as the fastest-growing airport in the U.S. The award is one of anna.aero's U.S. Airport Growth Awards, which are based on statistical data and other research.

Airline Route News and Analysis announced its U.S. Airport Growth Awards (U$ ANNIES) on Thursday, October 20, 2011 including Midway as the fastest growing airport in the largest airport category (more than 10 million passengers).

Old November 21st, 2011, 08:17 AM   #94
skyduster

Likes (Received): 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
That I agree, although in all fairness most US airports were built in a time which doesn't really reflect the current idea of pleasant or secure air travel. But upgrading seems to be a dirty word in airport-land. Especially compared to some of the new airports in Asia or the Middle East, American ones are functional at best.
You're very right, but there are some exceptions. ORD's terminals 1 and 5, built in the late 80s and early 90s, were ahead of their time, with architecture and layouts that foreshadowed the terminals that were later built in Europe and East Asia (mid 90s to present). I'm not saying that these other terminals copied ORD, but that ORD was an early participant of a new trend that many European and Asian airports also participated in.

On the interior, I'm not terribly happy with T5 (in fact I hate much of the interior), but I love ORD's T1. When you consider the time it was designed (1980s), it really is a beautiful terminal, was ahead of its time, and has aged gracefully 20 years later. Terminals 2 and 3 very much fit the 1970s utilitarian design that's still common in most US airports, although they've done a great job renovating at least the check-in and baggage claim areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
At least O'Hare has a direct train connection the Loop. At both Newark and New York La Guardia you're at the mercy of the taxi drivers, so you find yourself being happy to have found a $150 flight only to pay 2 x $60 (plus toll) for the cab ride into town. Why no one ever bothered to properly connect these airports with Manhattan is a complete mystery to me.
Newark-Liberty is connected to Manhattan by train. You take the AirTrain Newark from the terminals to Newark Airport's NJ Transit station (about 15 minutes), and then take an NJ Transit train or even Amtrak train to New York Penn.

I hate LGA, and when I fly to NYC, I try as much as possible to use EWR or JFK, and I try to schedule my flights so that I don't have to wait long for the next NJ Transit or LIRR train into Manhattan (from JFK, I prefer LIRR over Subway which takes forever). I've had bad luck with road transportation (bus or cab) from LGA all the way to Manhattan; the traffic can make it a commute from hell. If you use LGA, at least take the bus to/from the nearest Subway station in Queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Honestly aside from the fact that I had to transfer once, the time it took me to get from EWR to Manhattan is less than the time it took to get me from ORD to the Loop.
So, you're not counting the AirTrain Newark ride, and the wait between AirTrain Newark and the NJ Transit train? That's completely unfair. Terminal to city center, the journey isn't any faster from EWR than it is from ORD. At ORD, terminals 1, 2, and 3 are walking distance to the CTA station (which is underneath T2); and even from Terminal 5, you take the ORD tram to T2, but it's a short ride. The beauty of ORD (vs EWR and JFK) is that the CTA trains go right into the airport, instead of being required to transfer to the airport's tram 15 minutes away from the terminals (and the airport's trains at EWR/JFK seem run like once every 5 hours).

Of course, the commute could be faster. All the RTA/CTA needs to do, to make the ORD-city centre commute faster, is just add some bypass tracks to several stations on the Blue Line and introduce express train service from ORD to city centre...make the commute from the current 50-55 minutes to 30 minutes to get to the Loop (and even less time for Lincoln Park and River North). Daley's proposal for a high-speed train was just silly, when the solution is so easy (of course, the solution may be easy, but getting such an easy thing done, isn't so easy, thanks to politics). The brown line can also be extended west, join the Blue Line at Jefferson Park, and proceed towards ORD. Again, easy solution, but no political will. Another option: Make the Metra's O'Hare Transfer station into a nice, big station, and have the ORD tram reach the station.

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone

Last edited by skyduster; November 21st, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:33 AM   #95
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

I personally hope PATH is extended to EWR eventually.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:35 AM   #96
skyduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
How many Korean Air flights serve O'Hare per day? I heard 3 per day, but I need confirmation.
No, it's one. One each way.

I double-checked ORD's website. It's confusing, because when you look up "Korean Air" flights, it also brings up domestic code-share flights, as well as cargo flights to Alaska.

To answer your question, it looks like only one daily ORD-ICN flight on Korean Airlines. To be specific, one daily westbound ORD-ICN flight, and one daily eastbound ICN-ORD flight.

Quote:
I personally hope PATH is extended to EWR eventually.
What would be awesome. And PATH all the way to EWR. Not to the AirTrain Newark transfer station.

boycott dolphinariums
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:46 AM   #97
phugiay

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
I think 4 per days.
phugiay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #98
skyduster

Did you not read my post above yours?

Only one per day, each way.

boycott dolphinariums
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #99
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

via Spyguy @ SSP

Westfield's T5 Renovation (adding about 10,000 sf of new concession space)

http://www.chicagot5.com/

Old January 7th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #100
skyduster

Thank God. Terminal 5 has been such a retail/restaurant desert.

I never understood why O'Hare's newest terminal was designed that way...I understand it's not a hub terminal, but all those people waiting for flights could surely have a bite to eat now and then. I welcome Westfield's renovation.

boycott dolphinariums

Tags
chicago, illinois, northamerica airport hubs, us airports