daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #101
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19218

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyduster View Post
Thank God. Terminal 5 has been such a retail/restaurant desert.

I never understood why O'Hare's newest terminal was designed that way...I understand it's not a hub terminal, but all those people waiting for flights could surely have a bite to eat now and then. I welcome Westfield's renovation.
T5, is it the international terminal? It must be, when I was flying back from Chicago to London I was really surprised how deserted it was. Few kiosks and some stands witch cheap gifts and that's it.
And that is apparently one of the largest airports in the world. WTF
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #102
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

Here are a couple videos I took over last summer. Enjoy!

lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 04:28 AM   #103
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

Here are a couple videos I took over last summer. Enjoy!

lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #104
skyduster

Likes (Received): 334

@geogregor,

Yes, T5 is the "international terminal"...meaning that it's the only terminal with facilities for customs and passport control. Therefore, all* incoming international flights are forced to arrive at terminal 5.

*except for "pre-clearance" flights from Canada's 8 largest airports (Toronto-Pearson, Montreal-Trudeau, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Halifax). That's because there's a bilateral USA-Canada agreement that allows US customs facilities in certain Canadian airports. In these 8 Canadian airports, US-bound passengers pass through US customs before departing Canada, in special concourses or terminals dedicated to US-bound flights. (The agreement allows Canada the right to set up customs facilities in US airports too, but Canada so far doesn't want to implement this).

However, departing international flights can leave from any terminal.

ANA's and Lufthansa's flights depart from United's/Star's T1 (as do United's international flights), and JAL's and Iberia's flights depart from American's/OneWorld's T3 (as do American's international flights).

But several Star Alliance or OneWorld flights still depart from T5. Cathay Pacific, LOT, Turkish, Asiana, and British Airways all depart from T5, despite being OneWorld or Star members. Of course, Skyteam's international flights (Air France, Alitalia, KLM, Aeromexico, Korean, etc), also use T5 (which makes sense given that ORD is not a Skyteam hub), as do airlines like Etihad which are not affiliated with any alliance.

The whole system is rather disjointed really, and perplexing, given the fact that ORD is a major hub for both OneWorld and Star. T5 is physically disconnected and distant from terminals 1-3 (there currently is no T4). If you're flying in from, say, Copenhagen on SAS, and need to connect at ORD for a domestic UA flight to, say, Kansas City...you need to arrive at T5 and make your way all the way to T1. Which in a smartly-designed airport wouldn't be a big deal. Except at ORD, you need to exit the terminal, take the airport's transit system to United's T1, and then go through security again to catch your connecting flight to Kansas city. Quite silly.

Now, T5 was designed and built right before airline alliances were created. So, creating a single terminal for Star wasn't foreseen. But ironically, it's AA and UA who are resisting fixing this problem. The municipality of Chicago (which owns ORD), wants to modernize the airport, but UA and AA don't want to help pay for new terminals (and terminals 1-3 can get very crowded at peak times).

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #105
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

E-letter from Chicago Department of Aviation

Quote:
Chicago Department of Aviation

Future of O'Hare Modernization Discussed at Elgin O'Hare West Bypass Meeting

WHEATON, Ill., January 18, 2012 -- Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) Commissioner Rosemarie S. Andolino today provided a detailed update on the O'Hare Modernization Program (OMP) to the Elgin O'Hare West Bypass (EOWB) Finance Committee at the DuPage County Complex.

The Elgin O'Hare Committee is comprised of leaders from the suburbs of DuPage County as well as other local and state government officials and stakeholders including the llinois State Toll Highway Authority and the Illinois Department of Transportation. The purpose of the Elgin O'Hare West Bypass project is to improve local and regional transportation efficiency and connections and access to O'Hare International Airport in the area bounded by the existing Elgin O'Hare Expressway to the west, I-90 on the north, I-290 on the south, and I-294 to the east.

During her presentation, Andolino discussed the work currently taking place on the OMP, including the construction of new Runway 10C-28C and the relocation of Irving Park Road and the Union Pacific Railroad to accommodate future runway and taxiway construction on O'Hare's south airfield. She also highlighted key dates for future milestones including the opening of Runway 10C-28C in the fourth quarter of 2013 and the commissioning of O'Hare's furthermost south Runway 10R-28L in 2015.

The presentation was followed by a question and answer session with Andolino that was moderated by DuPage County Board Chairman and Elgin O'Hare Finance Committee Co-Chairman Dan Cronin. The discussion focused mostly on proposed western access to O'Hare and how all of the stakeholders involved in the Elgin O'Hare project and the airport will continue to work together to ensure the success of this major regional transportation improvement plan.

"The CDA has been fully committed to cooperating with all the stakeholders of the Elgin O'Hare Bypass project," said Andolino. "We pledge to continue to work closely with all of our partners to ensure these projects move forward to create enormous economic benefits and new opportunities for our region."

For more information about the Elgin O'Hare project, including its Advisory Council visit: www.elginohare-westbypass.org.
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #106
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Chicago Department of Aviation

O'Hare Named "Best Airport in North America"

CHICAGO, January 20, 2012 - Chicago O'Hare International Airport did it again!

The Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA), which operates O'Hare and Midway International Airports, accepted the "Best Airport in North America" award for O'Hare International Airport from Global Traveler, a business travel and lifestyle magazine for international business travelers. It is the 12th straight year that O'Hare has been named "Best Airport in North America" by a leading travel magazine.

Global Traveler's CEO and Publisher Francis X. Gallagher and Vice President Richard T. Evans presented the award this week to Michael Boland, CDA First Deputy Commissioner in O'Hare's Terminal 2.

"On behalf of Mayor Rahm Emanuel, we are delighted to again have O'Hare International Airport recognized by Global Traveler's readers as the best among the best," said CDA Commissioner Rosemarie S. Andolino. "O'Hare is one of the busiest airports in the world and we are constantly working to improve the traveler experience by enhancing air service, world-class dining and shopping and other passenger amenities expected and demanded by business and leisure travelers. And we will continue to invest in the areas of technology, efficiency, sustainability, safety and other amenities."

Global Traveler readers were polled on 66 categories related to airlines, hotels, airports, loyalty programs and travel-related products, and the results determined the winners in each category. The full survey results can be found here or going to Global Traveler's web site, globaltravelerusa.com. More than 36,000 responses were received to the annual survey.

Global Traveler readers are frequent premium travelers averaging 16 international and 16 domestic round-trip flights a year, with an average annual household income of $340,000. Global Traveler's readers spend an average 80 nights per year away on foreign travel and 40 on domestic travel, and 78 percent regularly travel in first or business class.

O'Hare has won "Best Airport in North America" award for eight consecutive years, between 2004-2011, from Global Traveler, and four years between 2000-2003 from Global Traveler's precedessor magazine, Business Traveler.
Old January 27th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #107
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Seems like American Airlines ORD to Delhi is going to be axed as a result of American's financial problems.

Yahoo! - American to drop Chicago-New Delhi flights

However Air India still has direct flights from ORD to Delhi it's not a huge loss.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #108
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Maybe AA can put in a code share.

Other US airlines still fly to New Delhi so not a biggie.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #109
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

American already has a codeshare agreement with Jet Airways which is India's largest carrier.

Anyways it should be noted that AA's ORD-DEL route along with Air India's ORD-DEL route are the only direct flights from India to the US that don't involve flying into either EWR or JFK in New York.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #110
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7327623.story

United Continental planning upgrades to O'Hare's Terminal 2
By Gregory Karp

Tribune staff reporter

4:52 p.m. CST, February 3, 2012
United Continental Holdings is planning upgrades to its facilities in Terminal 2 at Chicago O'Hare International Airport, including new jet bridges for regional flights and a newly constructed United Club lounge.

The airline will add 10 new jet bridges for its United Express regional flights out of the terminal. They will allow passengers to board directly onto aircraft, without descending stairs, walking outdoors and ascending stairs to the plane. An airline spokesman on Friday did not have further details on the plans.

The airline is also in the early stages of creating a new United Club lounge in Terminal 2 to replace the current one and will be about triple the size.

The project is still in the design stage, a spokesman said. The membership-only clubs offer complimentary bar service, light snacks and beverages, along with business amenities such as Wi-Fi Internet access, conference rooms and workstations.

[email protected]
Old February 11th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #111
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/02/...-ohare-midway/

Mayor Emanuel: Time To Speed Up Trains To O’Hare, Midway

February 8, 2012 7:39 PM

CHICAGO (STMW) – Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Wednesday he’s evaluating plans to shave up to 12 minutes off CTA travel times between downtown and O’Hare Airport and Midway Airports, a goal he views as more attainable than his predecessor’s dream of an express train to O’Hare.

“While that may be a long-term [goal] and probably is, what can I do today, because I’ve got a lot of immediate economic needs … I have people working on what would it take to take ten minutes off that travel. That, to me, is more of an immediate” goal, Emanuel said.

“Whether it’s 12 minutes, ten minutes, eight minutes — I don’t know. You should just know we’re evaluating it right now because, while it’s great for the quality of life for basic people who live here, it will make the airport and the city’s economy overall more competitive,” he said.

During a roundtable discussion with United Airlines employees at the Willis Tower, Emanuel noted that recent track improvements that eliminated slow zones on the Blue Line shaved roughly four minutes off the trip from downtown to O’Hare.............

When a United employee argued that Chicago sorely needs an express train to O’Hare, Emanuel said the goal could probably be accomplished “over two horizons” — not one.............
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #112
bewilder2

Likes (Received): 118

It really does need an express line.
bewilder2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #113
krnboy1009

It would be better to extend People Mover to link up Metra OHare station to the airport and start new Union Station to Airport express Metra service.
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #114
bewilder2

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
It would be better to extend People Mover to link up Metra OHare station to the airport and start new Union Station to Airport express Metra service.
That's a good idea actually.
bewilder2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #115
skyduster

It's an excellent idea.

Extending O'Hare's people mover to Metra's O'Hare transfer station (and rebuilding that station into a nice, big building, instead of the crappy shed that it currently is), is an excellent idea. In fact, it makes a lot of sense. But things that make the most sense are not always implemented.

All you would need to do is introduce express trains between Union Station and O'Hare Transfer...trains that make very few or no stops between Union Station and O'Hare, and you have a cheap express service that would hardly be any slower than Daley's costly high-speed train would have been.

Additionally, they can introduce some bypass tracks on the O'Hare branch of the CTA's blue line, so that some CTA trains can skip stations and knock maybe 15-20 minutes off of the commute between O'Hare and the city core. Chicago can take a cue from New York, and introduce a double service on some lines; one local and one express. The Blue and Red lines would be perfect for such a service.

My third suggestion...again something painfully obvious and that makes perfect sense but will never happen...is to extend the brown line westward to join up with the blue line, somewhere between Jefferson Park and Harlem. Brown Line trains would then continue to O'Hare. And before joining up with the blue line, the brown line would share stations with Metra's MD-N Forest Glen, allowing transfers, and then both the blue line and brown line can share a station with Metra's UP-NW Gladstone Park, allowing transfers there. This would facilitate transit between O'Hare/the far northwest side/northwest suburbs/north-central suburbs and the north side, without needing to transfer downtown.

boycott dolphinariums
Old February 20th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #116
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Indeed it would be and I and most other Chicago forumers on this forum have been banging that drum for years now. O'Hare is farther away from the business districts compared to most other major cities in the world. During much of the day it can easily take an hour (even 1 1/2) to get from downtown to O'Hare and can be completely unpredictable. Eventually a train from Union to O'Hare within 20-25 minutes seems feasible. Something that even Daleys plan wasn't likely to accomplish. Price it between 10-20 dollars and I can't see how most business travelers wouldn't prefer it sitting in a cab in traffic.

An intermodal station connecting Metra O'Hare Station, Amtrak, O'Hare ATS, and O'Hare express (likely from Union Station) like Miami and Denver are building or that Frankfurt has would be perfect. In fact I would even be happy with something more modest then those.

The where of where an express train using Metra tracks would end up be it at O'Hare Metra Station/remote parking, or into one of the terminals (more money obviously) or ran into an eventual West Side Terminal Complex is more up for debate.

Daleys Blue Line express to O'Hare was an ill thought out waste. Such a fiasco is a reminded of why the endless bureaucratic EPA and cost-benefit analysis that our government planners go through can actually be a good idea. It could have pushed the better option to come along sooner and saved hundreds of millions of dollars.

.....As far as express service to Midway I don't think its really needed. It now takes about 20 minutes on the Orange Line which really isn't too bad. Of much more importance is to build a proper L station and pedestrian connection at Midway so travelers don't have to traverse a dark parking garage to get to the airport to the station.
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #117
krnboy1009

I dont think thats true. A lot of airports are at least 15, 30 miles away from the business center, because they require huge empty land to build on. Cant think of any major airports thats nearby downtown.
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #118
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
I dont think thats true. A lot of airports are at least 15, 30 miles away from the business center, because they require huge empty land to build on. Cant think of any major airports thats nearby downtown.
The biggest ones do tend to be fair away true. However even for the largest airports O'Hare is amongst the most distant from the city core. Then you consider that the Kennedy is Chicago's most congested expressway and I believe one of the most congested in the U.S. and its nightmare.

Look at the numbers of hours of weekly congestion compared to even the other worst commutes on the list...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-commutes.html
#9, Kennedy Expressway, Chicago
Weekly hours of bottleneck congestion: 712
Worst bottleneck: Westbound, I 90/I 94/Edens Expressway
Length of worst bottleneck: .2 mi
Weekly hours of congestion on worst bottleneck: 64
Speed of worst bottleneck when congested: 17.2 mph

Airports to downtown(s) -

Chicago O'Hare - 19 Miles
Chicago Midway - 10 Miles
Atlanta - 8 miles
Boston Logan - 3 miles
Dallas - 17 Miles
Denver - 23 Miles (building rail to airport)
Los Angeles LAX - 17 Miles
Miami - 5 Miles
NYC-JFK - 15 Miles
NYC-LaGuardia - 8 Miles
NYC-Newark - 10 Miles
Philadelphia - 8 Miles
Phoenix - 4 Miles
San Diego - 3 Miles
San Fran (SFO) - 15 Miles
Washington DC - Reagan Airport (3 Miles) - Dulles (26 Miles)

International
London Heathrow - 14 Miles
Paris CDG - 16 Miles
Frankfurt - 7 Miles
Madrid - 6 Miles
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol - 6 Miles
Tokyo Haneda Airport - 9 Miles
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #119
skyduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Chicago O'Hare - 19 Miles
Chicago Midway - 10 Miles

Paris CDG - 16 Miles
Interesting...I always felt like CDG is so far away, but I guess this highlights the difference between US and European cities. CDG is on the very edge of Paris metro, whereas ORD is deep inside the metro (coming from downtown, when you pass ORD, you still have another 45-60 minutes of driving before you exit the metro). Metro Paris has more people than Chicago, packed into a more compact area.

boycott dolphinariums
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:37 AM   #120
krnboy1009

I dont think any Amtrak services run on routes that O'Hare station is located on. It would be cool if such Intermodal station existed.

BTW airports like Narita and ICN is over 40 miles away from downtown.

Tags
chicago, illinois, northamerica airport hubs, us airports