daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:38 AM   #121
skyduster

Likes (Received): 334

krnboy,

Rail gets very little love in this country. In Asia and Europe, people have realized rail's potential as a mode of transport that complements airports, and has a new-found niche in areas where auto and air travel are impractical. But in the US, it's still viewed as an outdated mode of transport that was replaced by "superior" auto and car travel. Most Americans think of the old 1920s clunky smokey trains, when they think of "rail", and the Republican Party feeds off of these misconceptions.

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:45 AM   #122
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Not in most places but passenger rails are pretty important in Northeast region, and Chicagoland to a lesser extent.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:21 PM   #123
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
I dont think any Amtrak services run on routes that O'Hare station is located on. It would be cool if such Intermodal station existed.

BTW airports like Narita and ICN is over 40 miles away from downtown.
Depending on agreements with the railroads involved and some relatively minor infrastructure swtiches you could have the Amtrak trains that go up to Milwaukee to O'Hare. The key as far as I understand it is at a potential rail juction in Northbrook where the current Amtrak Hiawatha line runs and another E-W railroad line (Union Pacific I beleive) that hooks up with the Metra NCS/Canadian National line that runs right east of O'Hare transfer station. Another former over on SSP I beleive even said that Union Pacific plans to even phase out their rail line which would be perfect to serve up a link with few or any freight obstancles. Altogether the detour would add a few miles and minutes on Milwaukee-Chicago Amtrak service.

Fast Map I drew up that shows the connection
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=42....12&form=LMLTCC

Having said all that I think the best approach to focus on connecting up any express O'Hare trains right next to the Amtrak platforms at Union Station and perhaps include some discounted pricing or inclusving tiketing for Amtrak users that includes O'Hare express service from Union in it.

......Also in regard to the North suburbs eventually I think there could be an O'Hare train express/Amtrak station at Lake-Cook road to serve the North suburbs that would also would have a lot of potential for success but there be some political hurdles to work out and would probably involve changing the Amtrak station from Glenview. That obviously falls back in priority though.

Here is a good article from a year ago.

Quote:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...passenger-rail

Amtrak exploring O'Hare service
Proposal would link airport with Union Station, points downstate
February 20, 2011|

By Jon Hilkevitch | Getting Around
In the future, one of the carriers serving travelers at O'Hare International Airport may be Amtrak.

Gov. Pat Quinn has asked Amtrak CEO Joseph Boardman to conduct a study examining what it would take, logistically and financially, to commence fast, nonstop passenger rail service between Chicago Union Station and O'Hare, your Getting Around reporter has learned.

The governor envisions the proposed rail line, which at this point is strictly conceptual, as offering a more extensive reach than the O'Hare branch of the CTA Blue Line, which runs between the Loop and the airport, and Mayor Richard Daley's plan for premium "Airport Express" service between the uncompleted Block 37 "super station" downtown and O'Hare.

Quinn's plan certainly would not resemble the impractical idea for a bullet train to O'Hare that Daley toted home last year after he rode a magnetic levitation train in Shanghai. The Shanghai Transrapid maglev train must start braking shortly after reaching its top speed of 268 mph, and it doesn't even go into downtown Shanghai.

But Quinn does see opportunities to build a synergistic connection between O'Hare, which serves tens of millions of air travelers each year, and state efforts to draw customers to the 110 mph passenger rail corridors it is constructing, beginning with the 284-mile route between Chicago and St. Louis.

Downtown Chicago and O'Hare represent the two largest employment centers in Illinois, creating a perfect setting for a premier trains-to-planes service that would attract new employers and riders, Quinn said.

"This connection would also provide better access to downstate cities and significantly boost ridership" outside the Chicago area, the governor wrote in a letter to Boardman this month.

"Advancing this connection would also establish O'Hare as a central — and connected — component of the nine-state, 110-mph Midwest Regional Rail System," the Quinn letter said.

The Midwest High Speed Rail Association already has supported an express rail link connecting O'Hare and Union Station. The association also has proposed that the higher-speed routes planned for the Midwest be linked directly to O'Hare to accommodate Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana travelers who will be able to ride trains to and from O'Hare.

The governor asked Boardman to complete the study this summer. The initial questions he wants answered include how quickly service could be introduced, where Amtrak would accommodate the airport trains at Union Station, where the O'Hare station might be located on airport property and "how we would make rail-air ticketing and baggage connections seamless for passengers."

One of the biggest problems is developing a route to O'Hare from tracks Amtrak uses. Metra's North Central Service to Antioch operates limited weekday-only service from Union Station with stops at the O'Hare Transfer Station, which is on the fringes of the airport near Economy Parking Lot F and the Cell Phone Lot. Metra uses the Wisconsin Central Railroad tracks, which are owned by the Canadian National Railway. One reason Metra has not increased its North Central Service schedule is that CN has refused to expand the commuter railroad's track privileges, officials said.

The Amtrak study that Quinn requested will include discussions with CN/Wisconsin Central and Metra, said John Webber, a spokesman for the Illinois Department of Transportation.

Another potential setback for the rail link is that the Chicago Department of Aviation has at least temporarily shelved plans for a western airline terminal under the city's O'Hare Modernization Program. In addition to providing aircraft gates, the western terminal was envisioned as including facilities for rail connections to Metra and the Blue Line, as well as to a proposed extension of the People Mover airport transit system that would link the western terminal to the main terminal complex.

Despite the hurdles, Amtrak officials are enthusiastic about exploring the proposal, said Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari.

"We know that on several of our routes, downstate people hop off the train at Joliet or Naperville to take taxicabs to O'Hare or Midway Airport," Magliari said.

Noting that the number of airline flights in Illinois outside the Chicago area has decreased and airfares have increased, Magliari said, "If there were a way to get more people downstate connected with air, it would strengthen our already strong ridership."

Amtrak provides more than 150,000 rides each year on its Hiawatha service from Chicago Union Station to General Mitchell International Airport in Milwaukee. Amtrak also shares a station in St. Louis with light-rail trains serving Lambert-St. Louis International Airport.

Trains-to-planes partnerships have become common between rail operators and airlines in Europe and other parts of the world. Such collaborations offer the most efficient and pleasant way to travel on trips of 500 miles or less.

It's begun to slowly catch on in the U.S. For instance, on the Continental Airlines website, travel can be booked from Philadelphia to Lyon, France. The trip begins at Philly's 30th Street rail station, where passengers board an hourlong train to Newark Liberty International Airport. The rest of the trip is via air.

Contact Getting Around at [email protected] or c/o the Chicago Tribune, 435 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611. Read recent columns at chicagotribune.com/gettingaround.
Quote:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...e-rail-experts

Daley lays tracks for high-speed rail to O'Hare
City seeks proposals for system to rival those in Europe, Asia

May 02, 2011|By Jon Hilkevitch

Still itching to build something big for Chicago even in his final days in office, Mayor Richard Daley has invited technology experts from around the world to submit concepts for an express rail service to O'Hare International Airport.........

The mayor frequently mentions as a potential model for O'Hare service his ride last year, aboard a magnetic levitation train in Shanghai. The Chinese maglev train briefly reaches a top speed of 267 mph on the short trip between Pudong International Airport and the outskirts of central Shanghai.

Members of the mayor's O'Hare express rail committee, however, said it's more important to focus on travel times than speed and on developing a premium-level service that handles baggage and delivers passengers directly downtown and into the airport terminals..........

Skinner said identifying the best route will be key and using an existing right of way "would be a big plus." The route mentioned most prominently by rail experts is the right of way along Metra's North Central Service between Chicago Union Station and the O'Hare Transfer Station near the airport's remote parking lot F.

From a broader perspective, the project offers opportunities to connect the O'Hare service to Illinois' high-speed rail program, which is being coordinated with other Midwestern states, and other local mass-transit projects of the future.

Long-term transit projects include the proposed Metra STAR Line, which would provide expanded suburb-to-suburb connections; a proposed extension of the CTA Blue Line, possibly to DuPage County; and commuter rail service to Rockford...........

While there are strong signs that investors interested in public-private partnerships are looking for viable projects like O'Hare express rail, "on the public sector side, we don't have the money to make major investments in transit projects right now," said Leanne Redden, senior deputy executive director for planning at the Regional Transportation Authority.

Chicago Aviation Commissioner Rosemarie Andolino accompanied Daley to China last month to learn about rail technologies there and to drum up interest in the O'Hare proposal. During her tenure running Chicago's airports, Andolino has traveled extensively throughout Asia, the Middle East and Europe touring the most sophisticated airports and studying train-to-plane links.

"Hong Kong was our last stop with the mayor, and I went on to South Korea," Andolino said. "Before I got back home, we had interested parties coming to Chicago to have conversations about the airport rail project."

Skinner said he, too, has received calls from "big players."...........

They also steered clear of offering ideas about whether to base the new service downtown at Chicago Union Station; the partially built Block 37 station, which under a former concept was to house a premium version of the CTA Blue Line to O'Hare; or a new location.

"We have some thoughts, but we want to hear what the experts have to say," Andolino said. "Our biggest thing is that we don't want to stifle anybody's creativity."

In the interim, meetings are set on Gov. Pat Quinn's recent request to Amtrak for a study on what it would take to introduce O'Hare express rail service between Union Station and the O'Hare Transfer Station. Metra's North Central Service, on the Chicago-to-Antioch route, makes 11 round trips each weekday with stops at O'Hare, but it doesn't operate on weekends. In addition, Amtrak offers the opportunity to bring train travelers from other parts of the state and the country to O'Hare, officials said.

"Hopefully we will be able to put a plan together for expanded O'Hare service in the relatively near future that does not require the kind of investment that Mayor Daley's high-speed plan calls for," said Joseph Shacter, director of public and intermodal transportation at the Illinois Department of Transportation.

"Both plans are about improving choices. Ours is to do something in the much more immediate future," he said...........
Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:45 AM   #124
skyduster

Quote:
Not in most places but passenger rails are pretty important in Northeast region, and Chicagoland to a lesser extent.
But unfortunately, national politics affect areas where there is high local support for rail improvement.

In the United States, as in most countries, wealthier areas of the country such as the Northeast (especially New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut), and some Midwestern and Western states (like Illinois, Minnesota, Colorado, and California) subsidize poorer areas especially the South, but also states like Arizona, Montana, and Alaska. So, when these wealthier areas ask for some of their money back to build, say, high-speed rail from Boston through NYC to Washington (DC), or to expand Chicago's and Los Angeles' metro systems, it has to go through the federal government, and the answer is always "no".

You also have some local leaders, like New Jersey's Republican governor (Chris Christie), who canceled a much-needed project to build additional rail tunnels underneath the Hudson River to connect northeast Jersey with New York City. For the NYC metro area as well as for the state of New Jersey (the majority of whose population lives within Metro NYC), this project is sorely needed, but Christie is trying to appear like a "money saver" fighting an "outmoded form of transport" to a national audience. It's quite obvious he's aiming for some sort of national office.

People in Arkansas don't understand how impractical it is for most people to enter Manhattan by car, and that millions of Jerseyites that work in Manhattan spend waaaayyy too much time commuting to work because of the limited trains that can cross the Hudson. But what they do see is Christie promoting a "Republican" mindset, and they like that, without understsanding how impractical that mindset is for the big city.

Rural areas run the country here, not the big cities. Rural areas are overrepresented in the Senate, and they're also slightly overrepresented in the House of Representatives, and they're also overrepresented in the Electoral College which decides who becomes president. The big cities are the cash cows, and they're hated for it.

boycott dolphinariums

Last edited by skyduster; February 22nd, 2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #125
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Chicago Department of Aviation

Quote:
LOT Polish Airlines Announces It Will Fly New B-787 Dreamliner to Chicago O'Hare

CHICAGO, March 28, 2012 -- LOT Polish Airlines, which offers nonstop daily flights between Chicago O'Hare International Airport and Warsaw Chopin Airport, today announced it expects to begin flying the highly anticipated new Boeing 787 Dreamliner plane between Chicago and Poland's capital city in January 2013.

At a Chicago press conference, LOT CEO Marcin Pirog announced the new aircraft, which is expected to consume 15 percent to 20 percent less fuel compared with similarly sized aircraft, flies faster and is anticipated to provide passengers a more comfortable cabin experience. He said the airline will eventually replace its B-767-300 fleet with eight Dreamliner aircraft. LOT will be the first European airline to fly the Dreamliner to Chicago.
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM   #126
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Thanks ti Airliners.net

early O'Hare in the 60's. Now where United Terminal 1 sits.

Terminal 1 - United

Terminal 3 - American Airlines

Terminal 5 - International

Last edited by nomarandlee; April 1st, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:34 AM   #127
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:56 AM   #129
bewilder2

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
The biggest ones do tend to be fair away true. However even for the largest airports O'Hare is amongst the most distant from the city core. Then you consider that the Kennedy is Chicago's most congested expressway and I believe one of the most congested in the U.S. and its nightmare.

Look at the numbers of hours of weekly congestion compared to even the other worst commutes on the list...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-commutes.html
#9, Kennedy Expressway, Chicago
Weekly hours of bottleneck congestion: 712
Worst bottleneck: Westbound, I 90/I 94/Edens Expressway
Length of worst bottleneck: .2 mi
Weekly hours of congestion on worst bottleneck: 64
Speed of worst bottleneck when congested: 17.2 mph

Airports to downtown(s) -

Chicago O'Hare - 19 Miles
Chicago Midway - 10 Miles
Atlanta - 8 miles
Boston Logan - 3 miles
Dallas - 17 Miles
Denver - 23 Miles (building rail to airport)
Los Angeles LAX - 17 Miles
Miami - 5 Miles
NYC-JFK - 15 Miles
NYC-LaGuardia - 8 Miles
NYC-Newark - 10 Miles
Philadelphia - 8 Miles
Phoenix - 4 Miles
San Diego - 3 Miles
San Fran (SFO) - 15 Miles
Washington DC - Reagan Airport (3 Miles) - Dulles (26 Miles)

International
London Heathrow - 14 Miles
Paris CDG - 16 Miles
Frankfurt - 7 Miles
Madrid - 6 Miles
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol - 6 Miles
Tokyo Haneda Airport - 9 Miles
By distance to prototypical spot of city center, sure. But Haneda is more like 5 miles to the urban core, being so humungous that Tokyo is.

And it isn't always linear distance. Boston can be a pain in the neck to get across the bay at rush hour. (albeit the big dig has improved flow of the entire freeway network downtown.)

I think time to city center would be a better comparison.
bewilder2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:19 PM   #130
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewilder2 View Post
By distance to prototypical spot of city center, sure. But Haneda is more like 5 miles to the urban core, being so humungous that Tokyo is.

And it isn't always linear distance. Boston can be a pain in the neck to get across the bay at rush hour. (albeit the big dig has improved flow of the entire freeway network downtown.)

I think time to city center would be a better comparison.
True enough. What is not in dispute is that O'Hare can definitely be regarded as one of the farther out major airports in the world.

Couple that with the Kennedy expressway as the primary connection between O'Hare and CBD that has an obscene amount of weekly bottleneck hours and congestion as the post I linked to pointed out (the worst or second worst in the nation by some measures) and the need for an express transit for much of the world is plainly clear.

For much of the day the time to the Loop to O'Hare is an hour if not 1 and half hours in absolutely dead stop clogged traffic that goes on for miles.
Old July 24th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #131
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Air Berlin is set to start nonstop service to Berlin-Brandenburg from Chicago-O' Hare on March 23 of next year.

airberlin.com - Further USA premieres for airberlin: inaugural flight from Berlin to Chicago
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #132
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18188

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
True enough. What is not in dispute is that O'Hare can definitely be regarded as one of the farther out major airports in the world.

Couple that with the Kennedy expressway as the primary connection between O'Hare and CBD that has an obscene amount of weekly bottleneck hours and congestion as the post I linked to pointed out (the worst or second worst in the nation by some measures) and the need for an express transit for much of the world is plainly clear.

For much of the day the time to the Loop to O'Hare is an hour if not 1 and half hours in absolutely dead stop clogged traffic that goes on for miles.
Isn't there a direct rail connection to O'Hare? How long would that take and I presume that's congestion-free?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #133
krnboy1009

Yea, the Blue Line takes you right to the airport. But it takes hours since its a metro and makes many stops.

If Metra had a good connection to the airport instead of lousy bus, it would take fraction of the time it takes to get to the airport using the blue line.
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:20 PM   #134
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...,3001992.story

Chicago O'Hare International Airport to sell $1.2 billion revenue

Reuters) - Chicago O'Hare International Airport will sell nearly $1.2 billion of revenue refunding bonds in two deals in August, said market sources on Wednesday.

The first sale is for $729 million of general airport senior lien revenue refunding bonds and is slated to price during the week of August 6 through lead manager Barclays.

The sale consists of $446 million of series 2012A bonds and $251 million of series 2012B bonds, both subject to the alternative minimum tax (AMT), according to the preliminary official statement.

It also includes $32 million series 2012C bonds not subject to the AMT.

During the week of August 20, the airport will sell $443.3 million of passenger facility charge revenue refunding bonds throughCitigroup.

That sale consists of $329.6 million of AMT bonds and $113.7 million non-AMT bonds.

Last week,Standard & Poor's Ratings Service revised its A-minus rating outlook to stable from positive on the airport's third-lien general revenue bonds and stand-alone passenger facility charge bonds.

The outlook revision reflected concerns about a $2.3 billion modernization program and broader economic uncertainties, including a possible stagnation in the number of passenger boardings, S&P said.

In addition, the rating agency was also concerned about what form American Airlines will take once it emerges from bankruptcy.

Fitch Ratings last week also revised the airport's general airport second lien bonds rating outlook to stable from negative, while the outlook on the general airport senior lien bonds outlook remains negative.

On July 20,Moody's Investors Service cut its rating to A2 from A1 on the airport's third lien general airport revenue, affecting about $6.5 billion of debt.
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:25 PM   #135
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Yea, the Blue Line takes you right to the airport. But it takes hours since its a metro and makes many stops.

If Metra had a good connection to the airport instead of lousy bus, it would take fraction of the time it takes to get to the airport using the blue line.
Well house is an exaggeration. More like 40 minutes and when there was slow zones is was upwards to an hour. There is also the crowded trains, uncomfy seats, and stop-go nature of the L trains that don't make traveling by L all that attractive.

With a handful of grade separated overpasses, some double tracking laid for a mile or two, and some political cooperation theoretically a Metra-esque could run to the airport or at least the Airport Mover System from downtown in 15-20 minutes in relative comfort.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:16 AM   #136
krnboy1009

Taking L to airport isnt that bad, I took the Orange line to Midway once, Not too bad.

But then again I only had a backpack and one rolling suitcase.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:43 AM   #137
skyduster

Quote:

Hours is an exaggeration. From the city centre, there's a direct line to the airport (blue line), which is almost an hour. But if you're coming from elsewhere, or transferring from the North Side's brown/red/purple lines, then yes, it's a mess, because you have to go significantly out of your way to transfer trains. Very pathetic for a metropolitan area of 9-10 million people, roughly equivalent to cities like London, Paris, and Moscow which have superior urban rail systems. The (densely populated) North Side to ORD problem could be solved with a few miles of above-ground track along Iriving Park Avenue, allowing trains to skip the purple/red/brown tracks, and head westward along Irving Park until they reach the blue line, where they can take the blue line track to ORD. This Irving Park Ave track would also allow connections with Metra's UP-NW and UP-N lines.

But I completely agree with you that Metra itself should better serve the airport. There's already a Metra O'Hare station on the NCS line, but the station is tiny, it's far from the airport, and there's only a bus connecting the station to the airport. That station should be expanded significantly and turned into a large transport terminal (similar to NYC's Jamaica station near JFK), and served by O'Hare's ATR system. This would be the perfect, lower-cost alternative to Daley's proposal (before leaving office) of a costly "high-speed train" between ORD and downtown that only business people would be likely to use. A Metra train would only take about 20-25 minutes to city centre, which is excellent. And trains on this route could be made to run more frequently during off-peak hours, at least on the ORD-Union Station segment.

boycott dolphinariums

Last edited by skyduster; August 2nd, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:44 PM   #138
krnboy1009

Theres only one station where you can directly transfer from LOOP lines to Blue lines I believe.

Theres couple for red lines but noine of em are in the Loop section. Closest one I can think of is Roosevelt.

See now the problem for Metra airport service is that none of the Metra stations in downtown Chicago are well connected to the L system.

Best one is LaSalle and even that one is a bit spiffy.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM   #139
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Interjet is expected to start serving Chicago O' Hare from Toluca in Mexico on September 14, pending government approval.

Travel Weekly - Interjet applies to serve six U.S.-Mexico routes
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #140
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

New Terminal 5 upgrades

Dufry duty free shop including stand alone shops from Bvlgari, Michael Kors, Salvatore Ferragamo and Emporio Armani. Hudson News, Vosges Haut Chocolat, XpresSpa, Swatch

New restaurants: Tortas Frontera by Rick Bayless, Natural Break, Tocco, Local Headlines bar, Intelligentsia cafe, four concepts by Lettuce Entertain You: Big Bowl, Wow Bao, Hub 51, Urban Olive.

image hosted on flickr

New Dining Court by chicagot5, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

New Dining Court and Duty Free by chicagot5, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Intelligentsia Rendering by chicagot5, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Local Headlines Bar Rendering by chicagot5, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Natural Break Rendering by chicagot5, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Swatch Rendering #1 by chicagot5, on Flickr