daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Minato ku

Paris Eastern Outer Suburbs: Brisavoine and Minato Ku's 17 km promenade on a sunny Easter Monday

This monday Brisavoine and I did a big promenade in the Eastern outer suburbs.
As the english of Brisavoine is better than mine (and I am lazy), he will do the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisavoine
Easter in the Eastern suburbs, this was Minato Ku's rhyming idea suggested to your most diligent Brisavoine. Since Minato Ku
has already explored the inner suburbs through and through and posted many pictures of them on the forum, this time we decided
to explore the much larger outer suburbs, a dauting task when you're only walking (Brisavoine owns a bike, but not Minato Ku).
We set our sights on Marne la Vallée, that part of the Eastern outer surburbs of Paris which has mushroomed since the 1970s.

I somehow knew that this would turn into something much bigger than what Minato Ku initially thought, given how the outer
suburbs extend as far as the eyes can see (that's where a bike would have come handy ), but it went even beyond my
expectations. At my count, we covered a distance of 17.5 km (11 miles) walking!! I don't know how we managed to do it,
but we did it.

Here below you have our itinerary on three sets of map. We first walked 10.4 km from Noisy-Champs RER station to Lognes RER
station. Then we took the RER from Lognes station to Bussy-Saint-Georges station (a distance of 5.9 km). Then we walked another
7.1 km around boomtown Bussy-Saint-Georges, and ended that marathonesque day at Bussy-Saint-Georges station.

Here our itinerary on a Cassini map of 1756:
[img]http://i52.************/345kaif.png[/img]

Here our itinerary on an ordnance map of 1900:
SCROLL>>>>
[img]http://i51.************/50jkb8.png[/img]

And here our itinerary on today's ordnance map. What used to be a sleepy countryside in the province of Brie 25 km from Paris has
now been engulfed by the megacity, with its bewildering ethnic diversity replacing the whity-white original population of farmers
and châtelains (landlords in their manors). Note that Ch.au in the 1900 map above means château ("manor").

SCROLL>>>>
[img]http://i54.************/2ze08sw.png[/img]

Minato Ku took the pictures (most of them at least), Brisavoine wrote the introduction and the comments for the pictures,
and Mother Nature provided all the greenery and sunshine (not to forget the 1960s planners who first imagined this overall
very pleasant area of the Paris suburbs).

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Minato ku

1. Noisy-Champs RER station, start of our journey. Outside temperature: 25C. Temperature inside the RER train: 40C and rising. You go to work with a suit and tie? Too bad.

4. We leave the infamous Seine-Saint-Denis department without injuries, and cross the border into Seine-et-Marne, i.e. the outer suburbs.

5. Looking back, Seine-Saint-Denis doesn't look so bad.

6. Entering Champs-sur-Marne, the first municipality in the Seine-et-Marne and in the Eastern outer suburbs.

Champs-sur-Marne had 5,095 inh. in 1975, then it experienced exponential growth and reached 24,105 inh. in 2008.

11. Don't worry, the commie blocks are going to fade away quickly as we penetrate further in the outer suburbs.

12. See, I told you.

13. The never completed A199 motorway that goes from nowhere to nowhere.

16. The castle of Champs, built at the end of the reign of Louis XIV, in the 1700s, by a financier close to the court.

17. The beautiful French-style gardens of the castle, miraculously preserved despite Revolutions and wars. Probably the most beautifuls classical French-style gardens in Greater Paris after Versailles, going all the way down to the banks of the Marne River (the gardens are much larger than what's shown in this picture).

18. On the horizon this appears to be Montfermeil, of riots and ethnic ghettos fame.

To be continued...

Chrissib liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Malyan

Likes (Received): 347

Great pictures of parts of Paris you usually don´t get to see, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Noisy-Champs RER station, start of our journey. Outside temperature: 25C. Temperature inside the RER train: 40C and rising. You go to work with a suit and tie? Too bad.
That´s funny - it might be we were in the same train that day as I think I used exactly this overheated RER train when leaving Paris that day
Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Minato ku

Thank you !
We continue

21. Our last view of the classical gardens of Champs castle.

22. Nice coat of arms.

25. Yes, we are in Seine-et-Marne (77).

26. But we're also in Greater Paris.

27. Some Martiniquais people around. Martinique department number is 972, in the French West Indies.

28. The yearly French Communist Party festive gathering!

30. Good king Henri IV, murdered by a Catholic fanatic in 1610, has remained popular in France until today.

31. 1960s American inspired suburbia.

32. Do you speak esperanto?

33. This is what a mailbox looks like in the outer suburbs.

34. They have RATP buses too! They belong to civilization after all.

35. Toulouse people!! This car had a 31 licence plate (Haute-Garonne department, i.e. Toulouse), and a sticker informing you that this car transports a baby supporter of the Stade Toulousain (Toulouse's famous rugby club). Only in Toulouse!

36. "Champs-sur-Marne thanks you for your visit." We're leaving Champs-sur-Marne.

37. And we're entering Noisiel. Noisiel had 3,571 inh. in 1975, then it experienced exponential growth and reached 15,634 inh. in 2008.

38. We arrive at the Park of Noisiel, which was the heavenly surprise of our trip. Picture yourself the most perfect English park ever, sloping down towards the Marne River, and larger than even the largest English park in London. Just when you thought you knew everything about Paris, you discover something new and amazing! I'd rate it by far the BEST park in Paris, and I totally ignored its existence until last week. The park is much larger than what the next 3 pics show, and it slops down towards the river, which you can't see in those 3 pics.

39. There were lots of people, but the park is so huge (I'd say 5 to 10 times the size of the grassy areas at Hyde Park in London) that there was still lots of empty space. People were playing football, volleyball (they brought their nets), some people were barbecuing, we even saw traces of an illegal bonfire on the grass (probably from the previous night).

40. Downwards in the shady glade (maybe in Minato Ku's next batch of pictures) people from various ethnicities were spending the warm day sitting around portable tables playing cards, eating grilled meat, playing drums, etc. I felt like I was transported in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco or some similar place in Australia or Canada. Totally surreal! A real coup de cœur.

To be continued...
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #5
aster4000

Likes (Received): 11

nice castle and those shots of old areas.
aster4000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #6
tchelllo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 55

Very nice and interenting thread!
tchelllo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #7
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20281

Nice thread, you didn't get to Torcy? The whole area has probably seen a lot of expansion since I lived there, there was a lot of construction back then and I believe that the fields I used to walk through to get to work are now a large shopping complex!
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #8
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Jonesy lived in Torcy?
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #9
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20281

No, Serris, but I sometimes used to do my grocery shopping in either Torcy or the Carrefour at Noisy-le-grand.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #10
ExcellentALWAYS
Ambitious Girl

Always nice to see another part of Paris
Eeyore, Winnie the Pooh
ExcellentALWAYS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #11
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244473

Awesome, very nice shots from the suburbs of Paris Minato and Brisavoine
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 01:47 PM   #12
Minato ku

41. Continuing with the wonderful park of Noisiel. This time you can see it sloping down towards the Marne River.

43. Down by the shady glade where people were barbecuing and playing drums. The grassy areas continue still further beyond the trees. Truly huge!

46. In the background the water tower of Noisiel built by famous architect Christian de Portzamparc in the 1970s.

48. Arriving in the old village of Noisiel.

50. The entrance of the parish church precinct.

54. Arriving in the town center of Noisiel. Before being engulfed by the megacity and becoming an outer suburb of Paris, Noisiel had a previous life in the 19th century as an industrial town. The Menier industrialists established their chocolate factory in Noisiel along the Seine River, and built a "cité ouvrière", a kind of utopian paternalistic town for the factory workers. That's why the town center of Noisiel looks more like a mining town in the region of Lille than like a suburb of Paris.

56. The chocolate factory at the end of the street, which now hosts the French headquarters of Nestlé.

58. Lille or Paris?

59. Noisiel's town hall, built by the Menier family. The Menier family is everywhere in Noisiel. In fact the park of Noisiel was originally the park of the Menier family castle.

60. Drop your medical prescriptions here.

To be continued...
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #13
Minato ku

61. Continuing our exploration of the industrial town center of Noiseil, built around the Menier chocolate factory.

64. The old town hall of Noisiel, built by the Menier family.

66. Leaving Noisiel and entering Torcy. Torcy had 4,800 inh. in 1975, then its population experienced exponential growth and reached 21,931 inh. in 2008.

68. We're now going to follow the little Maubée brook upstream towards the Brie plateau dominating the Marne valley. A nice suburban promenade has been designed by the planners of the 1970s along the brook, which they dammed to create several lakes at different altitude levels.

78. We're reaching the Brie plateau here.

To be continued...
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #14
eklips

Likes (Received): 5050

Looks like you did more a tour of the local parks (exotism for inner Parisians ) than the urban areas themselves.

Anyways, good job guys. I barely know the Marnes-la-Vallée area and the 77, it has a very rural and exburb reputation in the Paris area and I can't help but have the same unconscious idea about the place. Which is kind of senseless, since I come from the 91.

Anyways good job, hope to see more pics from this parisians exploring exotic suburbia thread.
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #15
Minato ku

81. We continue our journey upstream the Maubuée brook and arrive on the summit of the plateau. Lakeside suburbia everywhere, very pleasant.

82. Seattle or Paris?

83. Tehran or Paris?

85. Fancy a nice modern duplex with view over the lake?

86. We enter Lognes, probably the most East Asian suburb of Paris. A very pleasant and comfortable lakeside suburb. I can understand why the Asians like it. It reminded me of some Chinese new towns.

Lognes was a village of 248 inhabitants in 1975, then its population grew exponentially and reached 15,028 inhabitants in 2008.

87. Across the lake, some commercial mall complex in Torcy.

88. The Île-de-France (Greater Paris) regional council is working for ya!

89. Greater Paris grows by 75,000 people every year, and this is where it takes place.

To be continued...
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #16
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Lovely walk and explanations!!
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM   #17
Minato ku

Thank you !

91. Still in Lognes.

94. The RER station of Lognes.

96. Citizens, there'll be (was) a municipal council meeting on April 26, 2011 at 7:30pm!

97. The very unusual RER station of Lognes.

99. We take the RER for 5.9 km and arrive in boomtown Bussy-Saint-Georges.

100. Bussy-Saint-Georges was a village of 456 inh. in 1982, then a whole new city was built there and so its population grew exponentially and reached 21,108 inh. in 2008. Not only that, but they've tried to build a traditional high-density European-style city, as you can see on the picture, drawing lessons from the failures of 1960s bedroom suburbs.
Old June 4th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #18
Minato ku

101. Continuing our exploration of Bussy-Saint-Georges.

106. Odd attempt at pseudo-classical architecture.

109. We're leaving the town center and arriving in more residential areas.

To be continued...
Old January 23rd, 2012, 10:18 PM   #19
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Bumping this up.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:21 PM   #20
hseugut

Likes (Received): 784

Paris is also nice in the suburbs
hseugut no está en línea   Reply With Quote