daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Queensland > Everything else

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #161
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

Good points Fish, software is good.

Sponsored Links

Old April 27th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #162
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 2047

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
While apple scoops up the mums and dads etc I think the driod market now gets the "cool", "look good" market whose focus is on a phone only...often hear these buyers talking more about raw phone specs rather than broader integration with other devices.
I think we are talking about two different types of "cool" markets here. The type I think BrizzyChris is referring to are the ones who are buying an iPhone purely because it's an iPhone. They aren't interested in the specs of the phone or the finer details of what it can do, how it can be interconnected with other Apple products or anything like that. They're only interested because it has the Apple logo on the back and because "everyone else has one".

Then there are the ones you are talking about. The "power user" who is after the most raw grunt. The top processor, the most RAM, the biggest and best screen. The same people who strive to have the biggest TV, the most powerful (and tricked out) PC, the car with the biggest turbo, etc. These people do often go for certain Droid models because some of the higher end ones do have more raw grunt than the iPhone, even if the phone itself isn't the most rounded package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
Where apple shines for me is software and integration between multiple devices around the house (stereo, tv, phone, tablet, pc etc). Other devices can do some of it but often only using multiple providers, 3rd part s/w with tedious setup which people rarely can be arsed doing. If you just simply want a shiny good phone then the competition is a lot closer.

I used to buy the most spec'ed mobile device and then after a while leave it the draw...learnt the hard way to buy on function and integration not specs. Haven't seen anyone within cooee of Apple in this space.
Apple's integration between products can be seen in two lights really. Yes, in terms of full integration they are arguably the best for having products that do sync as close to perfectly as you will get, BUT (and this is the big but), you need ALL Apple products to make this integration really work. iPhone, Mac, Apple TV, all of which are often more expensive than the competition. Yes, the standard of integration is good as a result of this, but as Soul said a few posts back, Apple are controlling and limiting in this regard.

I personally would much rather be able to still choose the individual product that suits me best (including financially). Personally, I'm not a big believer of full integration at any rate, but if I ever did I would want the option to integrate say, my iPhone and Apple TV with my Toshiba Laptop, or my Mac with my Samsung Galaxy or to my Xbox 360 and get as good a standard of integration.
nathandavid88 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #163
Samuel77

Likes (Received): 948

I am fine with the closed ecosystem. If people don't like it, they shouldn't buy into it then complain.

Apple have always been inwards focussed regarding integration.
Samuel77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #164
asdfg

Likes (Received): 254

I think Apple's USP's are losing their uniqueness week by week.

Sure, they are still the sleekest overall, but if you look at something like the Samsung Galaxy SII by comparison: almost as sleek, lighter, good battery, slick mature OS (Android 4.0) and a far more open platform, then they have some serious rivals nowadays. Throw a far cheaper price into the mix and it's only really people heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem that are choosing their products nowadays. Admittedly that's a lot of people so they hardly need to panic.

I remember when the iPhone first came out, the HTC rival was this fat beast:

The iPhone was far, far better than this.

Nowadays there are many phones comparable to the iPhone.

A similar story seems to be occurring with tablets. Sure, the iPad is still arguably the best. But good enough to justify the price difference? Clearly not unless you are locked into their ecosystem.
asdfg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #165
fish.01

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
I think we are talking about two different types of "cool" markets here. The type I think BrizzyChris is referring to are the ones who are buying an iPhone purely because it's an iPhone. They aren't interested in the specs of the phone or the finer details of what it can do, how it can be interconnected with other Apple products or anything like that. They're only interested because it has the Apple logo on the back and because "everyone else has one".

Then there are the ones you are talking about. The "power user" who is after the most raw grunt. The top processor, the most RAM, the biggest and best screen. The same people who strive to have the biggest TV, the most powerful (and tricked out) PC, the car with the biggest turbo, etc. These people do often go for certain Droid models because some of the higher end ones do have more raw grunt than the iPhone, even if the phone itself isn't the most rounded package.
Yes that's right I specifically was defining it as two groups, my vague nod to the "mums and dads etc" was covering the first group who buy cause everyone has one and the second encompasses many andriod/w7 buyers, the power spec user who is obsessed with looks, screen size, cpu speed, street cred, uniqueness etc. My vague point was the second one is chasing coolness probably more than the first these days.

Quote:
Apple's integration between products can be seen in two lights really. Yes, in terms of full integration they are arguably the best for having products that do sync as close to perfectly as you will get, BUT (and this is the big but), you need ALL Apple products to make this integration really work. iPhone, Mac, Apple TV, all of which are often more expensive than the competition. Yes, the standard of integration is good as a result of this, but as Soul said a few posts back, Apple are controlling and limiting in this regard.

I personally would much rather be able to still choose the individual product that suits me best (including financially). Personally, I'm not a big believer of full integration at any rate, but if I ever did I would want the option to integrate say, my iPhone and Apple TV with my Toshiba Laptop, or my Mac with my Samsung Galaxy or to my Xbox 360 and get as good a standard of integration.
I don't think that dream is possible....even to get close is a lot of work. When you have all the apple kit you realise just how many different types of useful integration it gives you out of the box, far more than most realise, and how no other mish mash combination could get close. Just to clarify I'm not talking about simple content syncing between devices. Point taken it all cost money and some people just have simple requirements like a great phone.

Last edited by fish.01; April 27th, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
fish.01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #166
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

I do agree fish, but overall the performance of my Iphone does the job, it has turned out to be a very good phone, though the camera has only improved slightly. Still, it's ok.
Old April 27th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #167
raccoon2

Likes (Received): 0

I think we are going off topic here, this is supposed to be about the new Apple store in Brisbane City. Has anyone seen anything new or has new information about the store opening?
raccoon2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #168
duke

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoon2 View Post
I think we are going off topic here, this is supposed to be about the new Apple store in Brisbane City. Has anyone seen anything new or has new information about the store opening?
Jack hammering was underway today which was reverberating right through the centre.
duke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #169
victorpenfold
-

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfg View Post
I think Apple's USP's are losing their uniqueness week by week.

Sure, they are still the sleekest overall, but if you look at something like the Samsung Galaxy SII by comparison: almost as sleek, lighter, good battery, slick mature OS (Android 4.0) and a far more open platform, then they have some serious rivals nowadays. Throw a far cheaper price into the mix and it's only really people heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem that are choosing their products nowadays. Admittedly that's a lot of people so they hardly need to panic.

I remember when the iPhone first came out, the HTC rival was this fat beast:

The iPhone was far, far better than this.

Nowadays there are many phones comparable to the iPhone.

A similar story seems to be occurring with tablets. Sure, the iPad is still arguably the best. But good enough to justify the price difference? Clearly not unless you are locked into their ecosystem.
HTC and Samsung phones would still look like that if a competitor like Apple wasn't pushing them along....
victorpenfold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #170
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

A lot of work going on this weekend, for some reason I can't see May being the opening month at this rate, but anyway, whatever but it must be getting close.
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #171
raccoon2

Likes (Received): 0

Anyone know or seen anything new. It must be getting closer to opening soon.
raccoon2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #172
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoon2 View Post
Anyone know or seen anything new. It must be getting closer to opening soon.
No as posted before, no where near finished. I think we are an impatient lot sometimes.

On a note, friend in Melbourne dropped into MyMac and asked if they will ever open more than 2 stores (other one is at Homemaker City Sydney Alexandria), they say yes but not for a while, even if one does not like Macs it is still good to have a shopfront with the online store.
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #173
nathandavid88

Walking through the city, I managed, for the first time, to get a peak into MacArthur Chambers (they had the door open!). They had a plastic sheet up (dust cover maybe) so I couldn't see much, but it did look like the ornate ceiling had been completely repainted. Wish I was able to see more to get a better idea of where they're at...
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #174
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Walking through the city, I managed, for the first time, to get a peak into MacArthur Chambers (they had the door open!). They had a plastic sheet up (dust cover maybe) so I couldn't see much, but it did look like the ornate ceiling had been completely repainted. Wish I was able to see more to get a better idea of where they're at...
Same here the other day.

It just looks like it is dragging on. Patience required I think.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:02 AM   #175
fish.01

Likes (Received): 95

"I'm getting a vibe on future MacArthur Chambers (Australia) retail store grand opening…July 7th? Construction seems to be winding down."

Source:
17 Jun Tweet from Gary Allen
@ifostore
Apple retail store enthusiast who finds future locations, attends new store grand openings, and remarks on store architecture, design, staffing and operations.
Berkeley, California, USA · http://www.ifoapplestore.com
fish.01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:17 AM   #176
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Likes (Received): 270

Fanbloodytastic! Even though I've completely gone off apple and is the proud owner of a HTC one xl, apple retail stores pull a crowd and will be great for the CBD!!
SoulvisionQ1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:25 AM   #177
nathandavid88

I'm excited just to see the store. I have no intention of spending any money there though!
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:54 PM   #178
Brisbane_Rulz

Likes (Received):

*grumbles at listening to the guy who said it is not happening* Ok so Apple do play cat n mouse. All good, I hope this happens at last.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:18 PM   #179
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 1171

July 7th would be awesome because I will be in Brisbane the week after

All the years in the making, since Dymocks moved out!! Can't wait to check it out
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:52 PM   #180
Timothy

Likes (Received): 60

They're all going batshit crazy over the thought of the Apple Store opening. The amount of effort that's gone into analysing the paint on the back hoarding, and what this means for how far along the store is quite phenomenal. I actually applaud the guys over at Whirpool Forums..

There's also a bunch of good photos (albeit they all look EXACTLY the same), as nothing distinguishable has happened recently, apart from a new coat of paint on the back hoarding...
Timothy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote