daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Design and Lifestyle

Design and Lifestyle interior architecture, industrial design, furniture and everything else which shapes the world right around you

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #81
tdoz123

Likes (Received): 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I'll be willing to bet Australia had similar old liquor laws to Canada at one time, when pretty much only Hotels (or "taverns" as they were sometimes called) were allowed to have bars. I heard, not that many years ago in Sydney a person had to order food along with alcohol, which is the way it was in parts of Canada a long time ago, too.
thats sounds about right. I think it was that way up until the 1960's here.

Quote:
By the way, British style pubs don't "dominate" North American cities. They are simply the type of pub that I personally enjoy, that is why my photos were mostly of that type. There are 8000 bars and restaurants in Toronto, and the traditional style English pub does not "dominate" the scene! But if you are saying there are only two British style pubs in the city of Melbourne then definitely they are more popular here than there.
I should of added that was just my impression from the photos in this thread,I'm sure theres more to it than that. And that by dominate I mean, when you say you're going to a 'pub' in those cities it will always be a chain pub or deliberately themed venue, rather than something that has grown more organically. would I be right in saying the drinking culture there is more about bars than pubs, and that bar style places are where you start to see a more distinctly Canadian setting?
Maybe those pubs there are 'organic' though, and have just kept more similar to the 'motherland' for whatever reason? It's just whenever you see a pub playing up the Irish or British thing with flags and decor in Australia, the assumption is that it's a bit fake.
by a couple I meant a few, not literally two
tdoz123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #82
Moravak

Likes (Received): 323

Hello this pub is located in Prague
About restaurant:

The Roman and Gothic vaults shelter the Konšelský sál room with more than 100 places and a lounge with mural paintings of beheaded Czech lords. The vaulted ceilings, stone walls, stylish furniture, historic arms and tin articles enhance the atmosphere of the place.

In the 14th century cellars you can enjoy the taste of various kinds of grilled meat and old Czech dishes. Then wash it all down with a glass of Pilsner beer or a glass of high-quality Moravian wine.

The ideal ambience for family reunions or business meetings. Take advantage of our excellent location near the Old Town Hall and the Carolinum, and organize your wedding reception or your graduation party here.

Czech specials made in our fireplace

Roasted piglet with horseradish,grilled pork and grilled chicken, roast goose with grilled liver with cabbage and dumplings

Live music in our stylish restaurant.

Czech specialities for gourments

Moravak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #83
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12198

I'd love to go to your pub in beautiful Prague and have some roasted piglet!!!

@tdoz123, there are all sorts of "themed" pubs and restaurants here; Greek, Mexican, Brazilian, Russian vodka, etc...etc..etc.... Strictly speaking, you could say every Mexican restaurant or bar in the world outside of Mexico is "fake", but most people accept that it is just a "theme"; some of them are more realistic than others. There are a lot of British ex-pats here, and I would say probably British style pubs are much more common in Toronto than in any other NA cities I've been to. I prefer the independent pubs, myself, over the chains... but some of the individual chain pubs are pretty cool. It all boils down to the staff that work there.
The basic historical "bar" or "pub" in Toronto would be the same idea as in Melbourne or Sydney; they were, a century or so ago, based on the pubs "back home" in the UK. Some of my examples I've shown in Toronto go as far back as 1833. But nowadays there are all sorts of bars, most of which are more aligned with the American concept.
I think in general Canada's day to day connection with Britain and its culture/music is more distant than that of Australia and the UK; we sort of "parted ways" as trading partners back in the '50's, with Canada trading more with the US, and UK trading more with EU members..... so the psychological break from "the Motherland" is well and truly long past. There was resentment and ill feelings back in the 50's, but today I would say there is much goodwill toward the UK here,, so people don't balk at going to British style pubs. They make wonderful neighbourhood "locals", so you find all sorts of people at them, chatting, laughing and having a great time.
There are even a few in Montreal, but oddly they are not common west of Toronto.

For variety, I was at a South American bar today.... at the Salsa on St Clair street party:

Columbia vs Bolivia

the music made me want to do this, but of course I cannot!!

Old July 11th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #84
tdoz123

Likes (Received): 268

Quote:
@tdoz123, there are all sorts of "themed" pubs and restaurants here; Greek, Mexican, Brazilian, Russian vodka, etc...etc..etc.... Strictly speaking, you could say every Mexican restaurant or bar in the world outside of Mexico is "fake", but most people accept that it is just a "theme"; some of them are more realistic than others.
Thats a good point actually. Thanks for the info
Gotta come back to this thread soon with my own photos. for now, this is 'Ponyfish Island', a new bar floating underneath a pedestrian bridge.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mutemonkey/
tdoz123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:05 AM   #85
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4195

Dewey Beach, Delaware, is known as a big party town. On the surface it's just a typical beach town, but the musical culture of bands coming to town before they got big has made the town a destination. Celebrities now show up occasionally to mingle with Delawareans and people from the Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington metropolitan areas.

Dewey Beach has quite a few famous bars, including these ones here.

Starboard

Bottle & Cork

The Lighthouse

xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:40 AM   #86
Taller, Better
Administrator

The Lighthouse looks extremely cool! Can you go inside the actual lighthouse?

Two places I went this week. First, an Irish Pub:

and then a little Mexican/Salvadoran bar/restaurant:

Old July 22nd, 2011, 07:50 AM   #87
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I think the lighthouse is used mainly as storage and similar uses.

It's modelled after the nearby Cape Henlopen Lighthouse, which was the sixth oldest lighthouse in the US and toppled down due to shifting sands in 1926.
Old July 27th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #88
Taller, Better
Administrator

Cool! What is the oldest lighthouse in America?

I had a week off, so visited some bars on College Street, and Kensington Market. College Street ranges from Little Italy to Little Portugal, and Kensington Market
is a bit of everything, so I visited some bars from a lot of communities.
In Little Italy, a nice bar called Il Gatto Nero. The pizzas made there looked SO GOOD:

the apple tree outside on the left has small apples this year because of lack of rain:

wish I had a 1927 Bugatti Royale!

and in the Portuguese area:

this bar is pretty typical of the old fashioned Portuguese bars on the street. They are the product of the wave of immigration that came to Canada (mostly from the Azores) in the 1950's. Typically the guys like to stand outside on the sidewalk shooting the breeze, as much as they like being inside:

the girl behind the bar was so stunningly beautiful, I had to ask her where she was from. I was right, and she was from Brazil!

Here is a mix of Portuguese and Italian bar/cafes along the street:

South American bar where Uruguayan and Paraguayan fans gathered to watch
the Copa America final:

Old July 27th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #89
Taller, Better
Administrator

And, moving into Kensington Market, a Spanish (as in Spain) place:

Indian place:

Mexican place:

a Canadian place (love the guy making fun of me taking photos!! )

Hipsters in Kensington really go for crowded, kind of dumpy looking places because they are avant-garde, or perhaps antiestablishmentarian.. or something
to that effect. Not being a hipster, I wouldn't understand! :

and a fun little Cuban bar:

the BEST rum for Mojitos:

an "Irish" bar (chain style) because I had a craving for Fish n' Chips. It was an early lunch on a Sunday, so no one was there yet:

the "snug":

this must have been from a very long time ago:

and if you feel like a pastis, a French bar, closer to my neighbourhood:

Old July 27th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #90
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57921

Really nice places TB, thanks for sharing! I could need a drink now.

By the by, do you also have some German pubs or taverns around? I've seen some in the States, not sure about Canada.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #91
Taller, Better
Administrator

Hmmmmm.... that I don't know! Maybe in some of the suburbs. There definitely is no German area downtown, like so many of the other ethnic neighbourhoods. Certainly the German influence in the USA is far, far stronger than in Canada. We have a sort of German-ish town in Ontario called Kitchener, which was named Berlin up until WW1 when the name promptly got changed to Kitchener. Similarly, there is no Dutch neighbourhood that I know of, either, but I saw this bizarre Dutch place a week or so ago:

that leering red-faced man is a bit frightening looking. Its called Dutch Dreams but I was thinking more of Dutch nightmares!

Old July 27th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #92
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2661

I hope you weren't the one drinking that peroni.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #93
Taller, Better
Administrator

Why? What's wrong with Peroni?
Old July 27th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #94
ikops
Supermoderator

It's a poisonous yellow watery substance that some people dare to call beer.

Try to sell an Italian a bottle of Peroni and he will laugh so hard that he will fart a hole through his underpants.
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #95
Taller, Better
Administrator

Okay, now I understand. It was a bit of a crappy beer, to be honest, but I put it down to thinking it was probably not fresh. I think I have had some in the past that were okay tasting, but maybe I am not a beer connoisseur!
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #96
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8164

In many places in Naples they only sell Peroni and it tastes very good and even locals dont shun it. Its the stuff thats sold outside of Italy that is no good (still better than Fosters though).

Heres the place me and my friend usually go to, nothing exciting, just the usual "Irish" pub, but its pretty quiet. When the weathers good then its the nearby Corams Fields + a corner shop.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by El_Greco; July 28th, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #97
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6574

I like the Dutch bar. I'm really not surprised that it is a Dutch design
Wapper está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 04:05 AM   #98
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Nice assortment of pubs and bars in Toronto. I think I remember some German-style establishments in Kitchener when I was there. I'll have to look through my pictures.

Peroni doesn't seem that bad, if you accept that it's the cheapo beer from Italy like Bud Light or Miller Lite is here in the US.

By the way, the oldest lighthouse in the US is apparently Sandy Hook Lighthouse in New Jersey, which was built in 1764. The oldest light station in the US (place where a lighthouse was built) is Boston Harbor, in 1716.
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #99
Taller, Better
Administrator

Thanks, Matt! 1764 is very old for an extant lighthouse! The oldest one in Canada is Sambro Island Lighthouse from 1759, and the oldest in Toronto is only from somewhere around 1803-06.
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #100
ikops
Supermoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapper View Post
I like the Dutch bar. I'm really not surprised that it is a Dutch design
Because it has a cow on it?

I think the outside looks like a mess.

This is a bar that I frequent sometimes

Tags