daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Design and Lifestyle

Design and Lifestyle interior architecture, industrial design, furniture and everything else which shapes the world right around you

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 29th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #161
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Some photos of Hoot County Saloon which is right near the George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston.

If you ever find yourself stranded at the airport be sure to take a cab here (be sure to go to the one on FM 1960, not JFK), and order the "Hoot County Special", also known as a nipple beer.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:58 PM   #162
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4195

The Clevelander
Miami Beach, FL

xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:08 PM   #163
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12198

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
All of these pubs, with the exception of Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, are Victorian. Although Cittie of Yorke does have an amazing interior. Pay Princess Louise a visit too -

http://www.timeout.com/london/bars/v...rincess-louise

This is an interesting site as well -

http://www.heritagepubs.org.uk/home/home.asp
I visited some when I was there recently and got great pics. Also Lamb and Flag is very old. The thing is, no matter how long the place has been a watering hole, the interiors as we know them are Victorian; the idea of the central bar, etc.... pubs used to have a small opening in the wall where customers would walk up and order a drink from the attendant inside. I think it is the Lamb and Flag which kept their old barmaid's window, but built a new central bar.
I liked the Cheshire Cheese, too....
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:14 PM   #164
AndrewJM3D

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Oh, okay, thanks for the info!!! It was the Newark one I was thinking of... I'll post some pics of pubs I like to go to. First, here is one of the oldest pubs in Canada, The Angel Inn, in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Interestingly, when it was built, Niagara-on-the-Lake was named Newark, too! It was later changed. It was built in the late 1700's, but burned to the ground in 1812 when we were invaded by American troops. It was rebuilt in 1816 and has been open for business ever since:

One other thing to note about this bar is that this is where it was signed into law outlawing slavery in Canada making Canada the second nation to abolish the use and trade of slaves.

Also TB, this picture is inside the old Core Digital Pictures owned by William Shatner (Now the Fox n Fiddle Toronto). His painting hung over the fireplace. I've been in it few times before it was a pub. So Kirk himself would have spent several hours in this room.

Last edited by AndrewJM3D; March 1st, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
AndrewJM3D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:50 AM   #165
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 202

Glenmore Hotel, Sydney
Well known for its amazing views from the rooftop bar and its $10 steaks.

image hosted on flickr

Glenmore Hotel Rooftop bar sydney by yTravelBlog, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Many old pubs by JasnSchlatter, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Rooftop Beer by CPaero06, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

What shall I have by dryasadingo, on Flickr
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:51 AM   #166
tdoz123

Likes (Received): 268

^what a view from the rooftop!

from Melbourne, the beautiful Edwardian Retreat Hotel in Abbotsford
via google street view interiors

tdoz123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #167
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

I didn't even know this thread existed! Since yours truly is also a fan of bar and grill and sports bar type of establishments, I figured I would contribute...

Had some dinner and drinks last night at a sports bar and live music venue called Stonewalls, on York Boulevard, within walking distance of Copps Coliseum, it's in a plaza
image hosted on flickr

Inside... they did a good job with the brickwork and making it look "lofty"
image hosted on flickr

the bartender told me it's been open for 3 years and it's doing well!
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The awesome bartender recommended the Lobster mac and cheese, so good, with garlic toast!
image hosted on flickr

I broke down and had dessert, too, a peanut butter blast piece of cake or pie or something…
image hosted on flickr
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #168
Taller, Better
Administrator

Glad to see this thread bumped up!!
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #169
Jaybird

Here's the Anchor Bar in Jackson Square, downtown Hamilton, Ontario. This is the first franchise location of the famed Buffalo, New York birthplace of the Buffalo chicken wing. It's only fitting the first Anchor Bar location in Canada be in Hamilton, because it is rumoured that Hamilton was the first Canadian city to offer Buffalo-style chicken wings.

The wings here are very close to what you get in Buffalo!

I was fortunate enough to walk in on the DAY IT OPENED!

Inside looks nice...

Here's some wings!
Old December 21st, 2013, 02:36 AM   #170
poguemahone

Likes (Received): 935

Couple of my local pubs in the Inner city suburbs of Paddington and Woollahra in Sydney. Originally a working class suburb in Victorian times, there were pubs on pretty much every street corner, many still exist and many have become houses, art galleries etc.

The London Tavern

The Paddington Inn

The Royal Hotel

The Lord Dudley

image hosted on flickr

The Four in Hand

Durty Nelly's

image hosted on flickr
poguemahone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 04:12 PM   #171
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2661

I am unfortunately addicted to ales and pubfood. This thread doesn't help.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 03:59 AM   #172
Jaybird

A more modern, up-to-date establishment in an old building.

The Shark Club in CityPlace building in Winnipeg:

BTW, the Shark Club was a featured bar during the Sochi Olympics on CBC when during Team Canada's gold medal run!
Old April 29th, 2014, 02:45 AM   #173
renshapratama
Travel Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 2707

update this thread please

Share your best pic on Instagram in here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1992105
renshapratama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:36 PM   #174
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Here's a couple taverns that I visited on my trip to Boston in May. (I had to post these before Taller, Better beat me to his pictures of the same places!)

The Bell In Hand Tavern claims to be the oldest continuously operating tavern in the United States, having opened in 1795. (It acknowledges that it was closed during Prohibition, however, and so in my opinion, this distinction is dubious.) The original location of the tavern was on Elm Street, around where City Hall is now.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:41 PM   #175
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Another historic tavern in Boston is the Green Dragon Tavern. This tavern was opened in 1714, but the building was razed in 1854. The tavern was reopened/relocated in 1993.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:42 PM   #176
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

The Bell In Hand Tavern and Green Dragon Tavern are located about 20 feet from each other, on Marshall Street in the Blackstone Block, which is Boston's last surviving section of 1600s street plans and names.

Old July 31st, 2014, 07:58 AM   #177
Taller, Better
Administrator

Nice pics!!! Thanks to your good advice I knew exactly where to go to find the things I like! First, I'll start with my favourite pub in Boston, The Bell in Hand. Even though the pub has moved a few times since it's origins back in the 18th Century and therefore I can't really think of it as the oldest pub, but at least it has always been The Bell in Hand, and it really and truly fits the building it is in now. Once in a very long while as soon as I enter a building I immediately feel "at home", and this was surely one of them. The openness of the bar reminded me of New Orleans, and the location on the narrow little cobblestoned street reminded me of the North of England. The first proprietor back in 1795 was Boston's last town crier. When he retired he opened a pub and named it after the bell he rang (Hear Ye, Hear Ye, and all that! ):

Boston's famous Clam Chowder!

A room with a view:

Technically this is not a pub, but it is so darned interesting I couldn't resist posting it. It is said to be the oldest continuously running restaurant in the USA, dating from the 1820's, but the building itself was over a hundred years old when Ye Olde Union Oyster House was new. I didn't have a meal inside, but I love the look of the building's outside:

I saw three more pubs that I believe are owned by the same company. First, The Green Dragon. The sign claim puzzles me. Greatly. As Xzmattz has pointed out the name was resurrected in 1993; and the building which housed the original Green Dragon with its basement used by Revolutionists was long ago demolished, on a completely different street in Boston. Hmmmmm.......

Looks great from the outside, and reminded me of pubs in the UK (without the American flag bunting, of course! )

The inside wasn't very interesting to me so I didn't stop by.

Also in that group of pubs is Hennesey's, which apparently was voted best Irish Pub in Boston:

It looks great from the outside; I stuck my head in for a look and the interior looks pretty ordinary. The third pub owned in the same group was Durty Nelly's. The owner tells a colourful story on the website about the name being inspired to him by a stall seller back home. I should mention that it is also the name of one of Ireland's oldest and most famous pubs dating back to 1620.

Old July 31st, 2014, 08:23 PM   #178
Taller, Better
Administrator

And while I'm at it, I'll re-post this from another section I had put it in this past summer. It is an old Tavern here in Toronto:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Had a nice evening yesterday; a friend and I drove to Montgomery's Inn, which was a tavern built in 1830 by Irish immigrants. At that time it was well out in the countryside, but now of course is well within the city.
This handsome, simple stone Georgian tavern was made of local field stone, and built to last:

It is now a museum, but once a month they have a "Thirsty Thursdays" event, with food and drinks in a recreated pub area. The cage from where the drinks are sold is an authentic style for the time. Interestingly, the "bar" as we know it today where you stand or sit beside a wooden bar was a later Victorian idea. But 184 years ago you would walk up to the cage and take your drink back to the table.

In one of the Inn's big stone fireplaces, they had a big cast iron pot of stew cooking. Also, they had baked two types of delicious rustic bread as well
for a hearty, but simple meal:

With a nice cold shandy (beer and ginger beer) it was absolutely delicious!

The rest of the house was not formally open, but I was able to take a few snapshots
of the other rooms:

The largest cooking fireplace was normally in the basements of
these old buildings, and that was referred to as "The Summer Kitchen"
as it was the coolest part of the building to cook:

the larder:

Old August 4th, 2014, 05:29 AM   #179
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

There's certainly plenty of good pubs, taverns, and bars in Boston!
Old August 4th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #180
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Lancaster Brewing Company
Lancaster, PA

It's a restaurant/bar/microbrewery, all under one roof. The brewery is housed in an old tobacco warehouse. Many of the buildings in the neighborhood have that agricultural-industrial feel to them.

Tags
beer, pub, pubs, tavern