daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:56 PM   #1
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

My 2011 Asia tour: Kuala Lumpur

I had a chance to be in KL once again this year (technically my 3rd and 4th time in KL... although in reality all of my stays were limited to only one night and in the latest situation not even that ). I tried to do my best with the time I had and it's definitely not the last time I was there. Because of AirAisa it is very likely I'll drop in KL many more times in the future

1. Just upon arriving from London on this A340-300 aircraft of AirAsia X. Thanks to AirAsia now many including myself can afford to travel around Asia without a burden to a bank account. It's been voted world's best low-cost carrier in 2009 and 2010 by Skytrax and I would be surprised if it won't be again this year.

2. Near the KLIA LCCT (low cost terminal). Some very decent dining options here from the junk food to some delicious Asian cuisines.

3. This time I took a bus transfer to KL Sentral. It costs 8MYR and takes around one hour. Alternativelly you can take a bus to a nearby train stop and take a train to the same KL Sentral station. Such option is a little more expensive at 12.50 MYR. Still quite affordable and it's more exciting to ride a train. Here we are at a tol plaza (toll checkpoint for motorway). Malaysia has excellent motorways and ordinary roads. Best in SE Asia (except Singapore, of course ).

4. Neighbourhood in KL through a bus window

5. Destination - Bukit Bintang. The dontown shopping, dining and entertainment area. Some good and large shopping malls here (some are VERY huge such as Berjaya Times Square), plenty of good dining options from upmarket restaurants to cheap but delicious street food, bars, massage parlours and everything else one might need for a good night out in town.

6. I've stayed in a hostel which was located just next to this McDonalds. It's called Sunshine Bedz and got very high rating in some booking website. It's cheap, perfectly located, modern, clean, cosmopolitan and staff were very helpful, friendly and nice. Highly recommended for budget travellers seeking a nice place to stay.

7. KL Monorail crosses Bintang. It's a modern-looking monorail train on elevated concrete bridges. It's quite fun to ride but in my opinion Kuala Lumpur should have gone for a proper underground metro or Bangkok style elevated heavy-rail system. Monorail is a little shaky and lacks comfort compared to ordinary rail systems

8. Bintang by night

9. One of many restaurants

Last edited by Pansori; May 4th, 2011 at 01:07 AM.
Pansori está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Pansori
planquadrat

Continued

10. F1 seems like a big thing in Malaysia. Advertisements and media coverage seem very extensive.

11. Petronas Towers, world's tallest skyscrapers 1998-2004. Today they are world's tallest twin-towers

13. 212m high Maxis Tower

16. KL Tower, 421m TV tower with a public observation deck at 276m
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #3
Pansori
planquadrat

19. Pedestrian bridge

Old May 4th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #4
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8256

Good old Asia, welcome back! Awesome shots there are you still using your old camera?

Last edited by El_Greco; May 4th, 2011 at 03:41 AM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #5
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

NICE!!!
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Deanb

Likes (Received): 684

it feels a lot like Bangkok, doesn't it?
Old May 4th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #7
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 52

great photos pansori!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanb View Post
it feels a lot like Bangkok, doesn't it?
I felt Bangkok feels quite different to KL. Just the whole atmosphere and city
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #8
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244805

Interesting and very nice photo tour from Kuala Lumpur
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #9
Pansori
planquadrat

Thank you gentlemen.

El_Greco
I use my old Canon 350D. That camere needs to get retired but unfortunately I haven't got anything to change it with. And I was indeed happy to come back. Hopefully not too long before I go again.

@Deanb
Like travelworld 123 said. KL is and feels quite different from Bangkok. Of course there are some common things and themes for most cities in that part of the world but generally they are very different places. It is up to an individual which one he or she prefers though.
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #10
Pansori
planquadrat

Continuing with photos

24. Street in Bintang. Lots of restaurants of all cuisines and buzz on the streets

27. Jalan Alor. In the evening this small street becomes a one huge eatery with restaurants "expanding" into the street with plastic tables and chairs. Smells and flavours come from all sides suggesting a variety of delicious food which can be best accompanied by a bottle of Tiger beer, orange juice or simply water. It's also a huge socializing action. This kind of street eating is something that delights me about Malaysian and SE Asian eating culture in general

28. The next day. A Monorail stop from where I'll be off to KL Sentral to catch a train to the airport...
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #11
Pansori
planquadrat

29. KL Monorail. The system was launched in 2003, has one line which is 8.6km long ith 11 stops, and operating speed of up to 60km/h

30. Interior of a Monorail carriage

31. Next to KL Sentral. Some massive constructions are taking place. KL seems to be packed with construction action these days. It's nice to see so much dynamism and ambition

32. Petronas Towers seen from near to KL Sentral

Old May 5th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #12
Pansori
planquadrat

36. Near KL Sentral

37. Inside KL Sentral. It i said to be the largest railway station in SE Asia

38. KLIA Ekspres has its dedicated hall which is much less busy and seems more upclass

39. We'll be riding "SE Asia's fastest train". Although I'm pretty sure it means just 160km/h i.e. same as the new Bangkok Airport express. True HSR trains are yet to come to Malaysia and neighboring countries. Perhaps China could give a hand here?
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #13
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4387

nice pics Pansori
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #14
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

wwwwwwwoooowwwwww.This is great!!
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 04:21 AM   #15
Pansori
planquadrat

And some more photos...
40. Waiting for KLIA Ekspres... not too many passengers it seems. Better for me

41. Inside the KLIA Ekspres train. Great interior. The trains are made by Siemens and belong to Desiro family.

42. On the way

43. KL expressways

44. Road infrastructure in Malaysia is impressive to say the least

45. Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA). Ranked 9th best airport by Skytrax (although was in higher positions over the past few years... lots of competition these days). Seems like a great airport. However I was destined for KLIA LCCT for my AirAsia flight so I came to KLIA only to have a look around and not catch a flight, hence I didn't see the departures area which, I am sure, is great

That's it for now. At least until the second batch of photos will be ready. Meanwhile I will be exposing some views and impressions from Shenzhen, Guangzhou and that big bad sin-city a.k.a. Bangkok after which I'll be back to KL for some more observations including some views from the plane. For the time being thanks all who took time to watch this and please come back shortly
Old May 7th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #16
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8256

Those street restaurants are fantastic, I wish we had those here in London (or Europe in general).

Nice work man!
Old October 6th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #17
Pansori
planquadrat

As promised earlier (i.e. months ago ), the remainder of my photos from KL. I hope noone will mind if I also stick my photos from the plane with some views over Malaysia on the way from Bangkok to KL. Technically I visited KL twice during my holidays... by now technically I've been to KL 4 times, although each time for only one day and each time not having enough time to explore the city properly

48. Penang Island and Butterworth city

49. Taiping city

Old October 6th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #18
Pansori
planquadrat

57. Putrajaya city near KL. It looks much more like a city than it did back in 2006 i.e. when I last saw it

58. Landed at KLIA LCCT
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #19
Sir Costa
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 4525

Excellent thread! Malaysia is just amazing, thanks for sharing! ;D

Assim como o chié, minha origem é o mangue. Vivo entre rios, pontes e overdrives. Sou pernambucano cabra da peste, terra de Joaquim Nabuco, Lampião, Luiz Gonzaga e tantos outros guerreiros. Somos berço da república, origem da nação. Somos a união da fé, grandeza e cultura. Salve, ó terra dos altos coqueiros! Sou maracatu da batida forte, sou frevo, sou forró, sou o Leão do Norte. E com muito orgulho.
Sir Costa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #20
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

Nice pics of KL....thanks for sharing.

Tags
kuala lumpur, malaysia