daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:42 PM   #21
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

In Paris, there's Autolib. It started only in November, so for the moment, it's not perfect. Several cars are being smashed, others have mechanical/electric problems, which made some journalists state yesterday that 50% (!) of the Autolibs are currently in repair !

& in France in general, if car-sharing is like hitch-hiking for you, Covoiturage is very popular as public transportation between French cities is VERY expensive & there isn't a lot of competition.

In Germany, the equivalent of Covoiturage is Mitfahrgelegenheit. In Poland, Carpooling is linked to Mitfahrgelegenheit, but is popular only amongst Polish people wanting to get to Poland and/or back. Means of transportation within Poland are very cheap (especially for the average Westerner) & there's a lot of competition.

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #22
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
You mean you're not allowed to park it in regular parking places, just autolib ones?
I contacted them, here is the answer:

Quote:
Bonjour Monsieur,

Nous vous remercions de l’intérêt que vous portez au service Autolib’.

Avec le service Autolib', vous avez la possibilité de vous garer sur d'autres places que celles réservées au service - si vous n'avez pas le choix - par exemple dans une ville d'Ile-de-France non partenaire (exemple Saint-Germain-en-Laye, Chatou, Vincennes…), le temps d'un déjeuner chez un ami, d'une visite d'un proche à un hôpital où aucune station Autolib' ne serait disponible, sur un parking d’hypermarché...

… mais dans tous ces cas, votre compteur continuera de tourner jusqu'à ce que vous remettiez le véhicule dans une station Autolib'.

Nous restons à votre disposition pour tout complément d’information.

Dans cette attente, nous vous souhaitons une excellente année 2012.
Cordialement,

Votre Service Client Autolib’
translation (google):

Hello Sir,

Thank you for your interest in the service Autolib '.

With the service Autolib ', you have the option to park in other places than those reserved for the service - if you have no choice - for example in a city of Ile-de-France non-partner (eg St. Germain-en-Laye, Chatou, Vincennes ...), time for lunch with a friend, a visit of a relative at a hospital where no station Autolib 'would be available on a superstore car park. ..

... But in all these cases, your meter will keep running until you return the vehicle at a station Autolib '.

We remain at your disposal for any further information.

In the meantime, we wish you a happy new year 2012.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #23
hofburg
middle lane hogger

so yes, you're allowed to park somewhere else, but time counter will continue... first 1/2 hour is 5€, second 4€, any additional 6€.

so if you go to a friend who lives in central paris, and you start, let say, at peripherique, you will pay 9€ aller, then you park the car at the station. when going back, you should pray there will still be a car available, and you pay 9€ retour. so that's 18€ all togehter. if you do that weekly, that's 72€ month + 11€ abonnement, so 83€. which is way more expensive than parking abonnement and a fuel for these short trips al together; not considering any additional usage of autolib.

so I realize now, it's a big screw-up. usage of electric cars should be cheaper than fuel ones.

https://www.autolib.eu/nos-tarifs/

Last edited by hofburg; January 4th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #24
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

I see.

Zipcar works differently: each car has an individual name and an assigned space. And each member has a member card. You reserve a particular car for a particular block of time, pick it up at its assigned space and return it there when you're done (there's nothing to stop you from parking it in its space during your reservation) - it's not available to anyone else during your reservation. (The car that's reserved to you can only be locked and unlocked by using your member card, which is read by a transponder in the windshield.) So there's no issue of "hoping a car's available" when you're done with your lunch with your friend or whatever.

Although as the service caught on, during 2008, it got harder to use the service on impulse - at first, you could decide "I want to go to such-and-such now," go on line, and reserve for immediate use a car that was parked reasonably close to you... then after a few months I found myself more and more often having to wait a few hours and going to some remote spots to get cars.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #25
hofburg
middle lane hogger

reservations will be available for autolib as well, but later. but I agree, if the service will appear useful to Parisiens, I think they will soon get run off cars.
In Paris that's like opening a new tramway line, as soon as it's opened, you have no place to sit when you use it; and you question yourself, what kind of transport have these people used before.
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #26
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20286

The biggest one in the UK I think is City Car Club, operating in 13 cities.

http://www.citycarclub.co.uk/
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote