daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2015, 11:19 PM   #241
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford White View Post
its only a slight improvement over what was there before.... just more glass for midtown! I really think they should start mandating more varied materials!
This is a great building, and it's a huge improvement over the low rise taxpayers that infested this site and were holdovers from when this area was a dangerous drug den and prostitute central.

streetscapeer, Zaz965 liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2015, 05:17 AM   #242
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Glassy is classy

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 11:42 PM   #243
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Conic by karlsbad, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 03:51 AM   #244
1WTC

Likes (Received): 25

Looks like 50 West Street has the same glass.

streetscapeer liked this post
1WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:10 AM   #245
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Lovely

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 09:43 AM   #246
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

DJaCoNdA liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:05 AM   #247
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

This tower is classic midtown.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 01:45 PM   #248
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

One of the latest additions to the #NYC #landscape it's actually still under #construction. -| #glass #architecture #buildings #streetphotography #iphone #picoftheday #sky #blue #originalmetaleye #teamiphone |- by MetalEye Photography, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #249
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

NY REAL ESTATE COMMERCIAL
At 7 Bryant Park, a Design Gambit Pays Off
Unusual facade was a selling point, the developers say
ENLARGE
A view of 7 Bryant Park in Manhattan shows the tower’s concave northeast corner. PHOTO: KEVIN HAGEN FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
By KEIKO MORRIS
May 6, 2015 9:23 p.m. ET
1 COMMENTS
The people who designed 7 Bryant Park clearly cut corners, and their clients are OK with it.

Indeed, the missing northeast corner of the 30-story office tower, now nearing completion at 40th Street and Sixth Avenue, is the building’s defining feature: Instead of a conventional, right-angled intersection of walls, one sees a concave, hourglass-shaped incision running the height of the building.

The novel feature was one reason the developers were so confident about the project that they broke ground two years ago without an anchor tenant, reasoning that the way the building’s design connects it to that precious Manhattan amenity—open green space—would generate interest.

Advertisement

“It is one of the signature public spaces in New York [and] it spills onto our site,” said Tommy Craig, senior managing director at Hines, the company that led the venture to develop the tower with Pacolet Milliken Enterprises Inc. and J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.’s asset-management arm. “We will be bringing Bryant Park in.”

The gamble appears to have paid off. The Bank of China Ltd. agreed late last year to buy the building for nearly $600 million. The deal doesn’t include the land beneath the tower, which is leased long-term from Pacolet Milliken Enterprises. Hines declined to discuss the deal.

ENLARGE
Glaziers work on 7 Bryant Park on April 22. PHOTO: KEVIN HAGEN FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
With the glass-and-steel tower ready for occupancy, Hines, a global real-estate investor and developer headquartered in Houston, provided a look behind the facade and a glimpse of the other architectural elements designed by Pei Cobb Freed & Partners Architects LLP to draw the park and its social ambience to the building.

The developers wanted to create a building catering to the demands popular in the tenant market—offices with lots of natural light, high ceilings and spaces to create open collaborative environments. But they also wanted it to have a distinguishing character.

So they held a competition and selected a design by Henry Cobb and Yvonne Szeto, partners at Pei Cobb Freed. Its signature element from the beginning was the concave northeast corner, which will be illuminated at night in colors that can be changed. Mr. Cobb calls this the building’s “gesture,” creating a presence which can be noticed from the park.

“Even though office buildings are private and theoretically don’t have civic responsibility, nevertheless, I think every building has a civic responsibility related to its place,” Mr. Cobb said. “Every building should contribute to making a place.”

ENLARGE
Curved windows look out onto Bryant Park from an office space in the 7 Bryant Park project. PHOTO: KEVIN HAGEN FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
Equally important, he noted, is the canopy created by a large stainless steel disk suspended above a public space at the building’s entry and the base of the hourglass form. No public space was required, Mr. Craig said, but the developers wanted to carve out an inviting space that could become a destination and a meeting point.

The area at street level will have seating and two large video panels will show landscape themes—an extension of the park’s greenery and a respite from the city’s digital advertising and commercial signage.

“That space, which is 1,500 square feet of space, normally would be rented as a very valuable corner shop,” Mr. Cobb said. “On the other hand, what you are gaining [is] an identity that makes the building more attractive to the prospective tenant.”

The hourglass form not only distinguishes the exterior; it also shapes views from inside the building. On the lower floors, the curved glass frames the park, almost magnifying its green lawn and drawing it close. The floor-to-ceiling windows are generous—the dividers between the windows are spaced 10 feet apart instead of the usual five. And the floors themselves provide large stretches of office space uninterrupted by columns.

ENLARGE
Chris Hughes and Tommy Craig, both of Hines, at the 7 Bryant Park office project on April 22. PHOTO: KEVIN HAGEN FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
The 10th-floor terrace offers views of the Empire State Building as well as Sixth Avenue all the way down to One World Trade Center. The office penthouse triplex provides expansive views of the city and a rooftop terrace buffered by glass.

There were other factors that allowed the developers to begin building speculatively. One was the large number of aging buildings in the neighborhood, which promised to put a premium on the novel design of 7 Bryant Park.

They also started construction in early 2013, when costs were lower, the Manhattan office market stabilizing and rents rising but still below previous highs. The idea was to build and benefit from an upswing in the market cycle.

Before the deal with Bank of China, they were marketing some of the space at well above $100 a square foot.

“We got a lot of pushback from our colleagues in the brokerage industry on pricing floors above $100 south of 42nd Street,” said Mary Ann Tighe, chief executive of the New York Tri-State region for CBRE Group Inc., a real-estate services firm that advised the developers on the project. “But Hines was confident all the way through.”

Write to Keiko Morris at [email protected]
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #250
Taylor York.
I belong to Jesus

Likes (Received): 176

05/08/2015

Credit: www.wsj.com

05/09/2015

Credit: skyscrapercenter.com
Taylor York. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #251
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

There was talk BOC was buying a small portion of the building but apparently they are now buying the whole building.

Bank of China Grabs 7 Bryant Park
http://www.cpexecutive.com/regions/n...004119533.html

Quote:
What started as a lease has evidently become a purchase, as Bank of China, which last year had been negotiating for about 200,000 square feet of office space in Manhattan’s 7 Bryant Park, has now purchased the building.

Or at least one can reasonably presume that the purchaser is Bank of China. Friday’s announcement that the sale had closed, issued by sellers Hines and institutional investors advised by J.P. Morgan, referred to the buyer only as “an institutional investor.” Hines did not respond to Commercial Property Executive’s request for further information, but the sale had been rumored going back at least to December.

No official figure has been released, but $600 million is generally being cited off the record as the approximate price. The deal involved a long-term leasehold, with minority owner Pacolet Millikin Enterprises Inc. retaining ownership of the land, other media outlets have reported.

Phillips Lytle and Proskauer advised on the transaction. Hines has assumed property management responsibilities, and CBRE will be the building’s leasing agent.

The 30-story, 470,000-square-foot building, which was substantially completed at the end of April, is between West 39th and 40th streets on the site of the former 1045 Avenue of the Americas. It features 10-foot finished ceilings and full-height clear vision glass and is LEED Gold Pre-certified. The architects were Henry N. Cobb and Yvonne Szeto of Pei Cobb Freed & Partners.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 06:25 AM   #252
waccamatt
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan

Likes (Received): 181

That's a gorgeous building.
waccamatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #253
William Adams
Jesus Love Us

Likes (Received): 147

Lovely view!
William Adams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #254
PABLOEING

Likes (Received): 28

REALLY NICE
PABLOEING no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2015, 04:14 AM   #255
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16990

From a few weeks ago

Glass Midtown
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2015, 04:19 PM   #256
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

I remember seeing this when I was in New York last summer. Looks great now that it's done! The seams kind of remind me of the Twin Tree Towers near Gyeongbukgung in Seoul.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #257
TopoGigio

Likes (Received): 250

This building should be much taller. I love this design; it is simply but so elegant. More beautiful than many other ultra modern buildings.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbe...0wqfMLnW3SkkoA

zhouzichuan liked this post
TopoGigio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 11:25 PM   #258
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

From Monday

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/