daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #21
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

71. Shennan East Road

72. Kingkey 100

78. Upper part of Kingkey 100
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #22
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

Where else did you visit in China? If you didn't visit already, next time you go to China you should visit Xiamen, it is beautiful, very developed, has great Chinese and European architecture, and is as close as it gets to paradise in Asia imo Also you can visit northern China, Beijing and Tianjin, but the level of development is a little behind Shenzhen, at least for now
BarbaricManchurian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #23
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

Just the whole China southeast coast is fascinating, I would love to visit there sometime, it's like a whole nother country compared to my familiar part of China, different language, different urban environments, different culture, and surprisingly high amount of European heritage
BarbaricManchurian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #24
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
Where else did you visit in China? If you didn't visit already, next time you go to China you should visit Xiamen, it is beautiful, very developed, has great Chinese and European architecture, and is as close as it gets to paradise in Asia imo Also you can visit northern China, Beijing and Tianjin, but the level of development is a little behind Shenzhen, at least for now
I know about Xiamen... and other cities. For now I have been only to Shenzhen and Guangzhou. But I'm thinking of next year when I should expand my geography of Chinese cities. I'm a little worried that my entire life may not be enough to actually see all the best cities and places in China.
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #25
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

Great photo tour! From my experiences, I'm not too fond of Shenzhen. It lacks the character, history, and culture that Guangzhou has but the rapid growth is impressive.

Last edited by Travis007; May 10th, 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #26
Vanman

Likes (Received): 26

Awesome thread! Shenzen looks much more green and clean than I would have expected.

Being a Vancouverite I was intrigued by this:

Quote:
OCT Real Estates Co. decided to renovate the industrial area by copying Vancouver’s loft zone. The company sent a team of experts to visit Vancouver to get ideas.
Do you have any idea if they are referring to Yaletown or Gastown? Both are neighborhoods in downtown Vancouver that have had many former industrial buildings converted to lofts and offices.
Vanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #27
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3763

Shenzhen looks absolutely amazing; clean and vibrant. Especially now with all the new supertall skyscrapers and it's nice to see there is a lot of greenery too!

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #28
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3252

I can't wait to go to Shenzhen in August!!!
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #29
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18185

Top one is a Hong Kong plate and the bottom black one is the Hong Kong-China cross-border plate.

The mainland plate has the call sign of Guangdong only on the left.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #30
Pansori
planquadrat

Continuing...

80. Shenzhen Stock Exchange

81. Near Shun Hing Square

85. Shun Hing Square

Last edited by Pansori; May 14th, 2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #31
Pansori
planquadrat

88. Underground pedestrian crossing

90. Shun Hing Square

91. What I loved in SZ (same in Guangzhou, I think) was that at every crossroad there is a sign clearly saying the name of the street. Something that was missing in many cities that I have been to
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #32
thicken

Likes (Received): 14

truly impressive
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #33
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
I also like seeing so much green in an urban area. Not just a token tree along the sidewalk, but so many trees that it looks like skyscrapers in the jungle. They encourage pedestrian activity by shading the sidewalks and making it more picturesque.

I also have a thing for palm trees.

Last edited by Geography; May 11th, 2011 at 02:12 AM.
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #34
HKG

Likes (Received): 3499

Beautiful city, thanks for sharing!!
HKG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #35
Pansori
planquadrat

Very true about the trees and greenery. Trees can create a fantastic atmosphere if planted properly and taken care of. Shenzhen did a fantastic job here.
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #36
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

nice travel log. It is great that you took so many pics of the city in less than two days. Shenzhen surely is well planned. YannSZ posted a few pics and videos he took in Shenzhen Urban Planning Simulation Room, and that is some amazing stuff.

btw, by the itinerary you mentioned, you didn't take the HSR in Guangzhou, did you?
fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:39 AM   #37
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
nice travel log. It is great that you took so many pics of the city in less than two days. Shenzhen surely is well planned. YannSZ posted a few pics and videos he took in Shenzhen Urban Planning Simulation Room, and that is some amazing stuff.

btw, by the itinerary you mentioned, you didn't take the HSR in Guangzhou, did you?
Thanks
I didn't take the HSR towards Wuhan because I realised that I only had 3 days in Guangzhou and there was so much to see... I guess I just didn't realise how actually big the city was and how long it takes to see the stuff. So just didn't want to miss out. And, of course, I didn't want to overspend too much.
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #38
YannSZ
Shenzhen !

Likes (Received): 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxam80 View Post
Just to add my 2 cents (I understand no one asked)

Having spent a lot of time in Guangdong province and Hong Kong - Shenzhen is not a particularly nice place. No cultural attractions, crime does occur (similar levels to London I would feel) and there are a lot lot nicer cities in China such as Chengdu.
This for me is an old cliché that Shenzhen is fighting now with a nice amount of success. There are actually more and more cultural things to see, more museum than before, opera, theatre, foreign orchestra, the all OCT loft part is full of architecture offices and design companies, Shenzhen offer great incentive for architects, artists and designers to settle there. More and more Hong Kongese artists are moving there too thanks to the low cost. They are transforming the all old industrial area into a nice cultural place.

There are tons of beautiful parks in Shenzhen

I'm french, I live in Shenzhen for 11 years and I have met with many people living in Hong Kong (Hong Kongese and foreigners) who have bad opinion of Shenzhen and when you ask them you realize that they've never put a foot in Shenzhen further than the Lowu Commercial Center to buy fake products.

One of the main reason I've stayed that long in Shenzhen is that every single week or month there is something new in Shenzhen that makes live more agreeable and easier.

And Pansori, thanks for the thread! It's a very nice publicity of Shenzhen. That's exactly what I like to hear, as it's a change of opinion thanks to real life experience.
ShenzhenVille Instagram account: @ShenzhenVille
YannSZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #39
Pansori
planquadrat

Thanks, YannSZ... I have not realized how complicated and sometimes impossible it is to overcome stereotypes and prejudices which are especially fuelled by our Western media. Sometimes even direct and indisputable facts and evidence thrown into someone's face do not help and they stick to their "opinion" which is typically based on absolutely nothing. I am not particularly addressing this to anyone here but just recalling experiences from my own life. Therefore I feel a need to travel as much as I can and keep my mind open while trying to help others do the same. It's good to know things not from prejudices, BBC, CNN or some "experts" but just see it for yourself. That's the best way of knowing stuff.
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #40
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18185

Many Westerners living in China are simply unaware of the bad things happening around them because of many factors :
1. criminals don't like to target non-Chinese foreigners because it causes a big stir with the embassy and the police are forced to take action afterwards; it's easy to target Hong Kongers as it will not cause the same level of government attention
2. Hong Kongers regularly visit the delta and hence are more likely to be exposed to crime
3. bad news at a local level are not high on the agenda among the international press and CCTV's English service

The events we hear on the news are indeed very real but often fall on deaf ears in the mainland. These include poisonous food laced with industrial chemicals, kidnappings for organs, pickpocket syndicates operating on buses and passengers don't help out when crime occurs, police incompetence that side with the criminals, etc. Shenzhen is a city of migrants, and people come in and go at ease. This lack of history and continuity also fuels crime, especially around the Chinese New Year when migrants try to hit it bring before they head back to their hometowns. This is not just a Shenzhen thing, but a common occurrence among many large Chinese cities.

While Shenzhen is not a Rio or Bogota, it is not exactly a safe place like Hong Kong or Tokyo either. I can understand Westerners who don't know the language or have fair access to the media would think it's a lovely garden city that seems much better than how we portray it otherwise. Would they be riding the buses and walking to their local wet market to truly experience local life? My answer to these perceptions is to learn the local language and try to reach out to multiple media sources for a more informed decision. Unfortunately, HK television is scrambled in the delta when sensitive topics appear.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, china, shenzhen