daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #21
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón

Likes (Received): 2102

Thanks everybody

I would say that this city is should be visited by every person that visits Spain anytime. This city is the historic capital of Castile (Castilla in Spanish), and here Spain was initially created during the eight hundreds. Also the language (Spanish, known as Castellano) was created near this city.

Also, it has pretty good transportation, I will show that in some pictures too.

Last edited by cuartango; May 20th, 2011 at 12:12 AM.
cuartango está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #22
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón

Now, a panoramic view of the city. This pic resumes pretty well the skyscraper profile of the city. There are no tall buildings, unless the Cathedral. It is the top of the city, only 80m high but from the XV century

I took this picture last January, from the south part of the city. There are very little mountains surrounding Burgos, which allow great views of it. Look into the details, because there are a lot of interesting buildings on it (I will post pictures of them later of course). I am sure you will be able to find the Cathedral too.
Old May 20th, 2011, 01:33 AM   #23
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

wow amazing
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #24
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano_pellicano View Post
wow amazing
This is my favourite view of the city, but tourists and most citizens do not know this place, pretty nice though.
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #25
eu
Magic Member

Likes (Received): 30

Thanks for the pics.
There's the old train station on the right of the last pic. Can you tell me what is its use, now that the trains go to Rosa de Lima railway station?
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #26
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu View Post
There's the old train station on the right of the last pic. Can you tell me what is its use, now that the trains go to Rosa de Lima railway station?
You are right!

Now there is nothing inside of it. There is a project to reform the station building for cultural purposes (inside the 2016 european capital of culture candidate spanish city). We will know more about this project next years.

Yesterday, a politican proposed to do there the National History Museum of Spain, but is is only another idea.

The good thing of this building is the environment, I will explain later why (The new Boulevard goes close to it).
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:06 PM   #27
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón

The next picture shows the "Train Boulevard", know as "Bulevar ferroviario" in Spanish.

It is hard to beleive, but 2 years ago all this street was occupied by the train rails, after 150 years of it.

This new avenue is 12 km long, one of the longest in all around Europe. The nice thing is that, each direction, has: sidewalk + bicycle lane + public transport lane + car lane.

It was design by Herzog & de Meuron architecture studio.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:06 AM   #28
DarkLite
vital

Likes (Received): 16012

Burgos is so beautiful, I love how the modern architecture seems to blend in with the old city center
DarkLite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:37 PM   #29
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón

Yes, also in the past 10 years the historic center has been restored a lot, and a lot of integration has been made.

Let's go with another picture, this one from flickr, zackds user

The picture is taken from the Museum of Human Evolution Complex, I will explain everything about this unique and interesting museum later. It does not appear in the photo because it is behind of it.

Old May 25th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #30
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón

The following pictures were taken by one person of the forum, buggl.

These are 3 new residential buldings, all constructed in the expansion areas but near the city center. They are pretty tall for the city. Hope you like the design.

THE DOOR OF EUROPE

THE GREEN BUILDING
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #31
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón

The complete main façade of the Cathedral:

Old May 27th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #32
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón

Now it is the turn of the new international train station, one of the most important ones in north Spain.

ESTACIÓN DE BURGOS ROSA DE LIMA

It was open in December 2008, when the rails were also moved outside of the city.

This is the main entrance of the station, it has a lot of light and space, I love also the distribution and appearance.

A couple of weeks before the opening. Right here starts the "Bulevar Ferroviario".

(de wikipedia)

The station is located at the northeast of the city, in a new developments area, with a perfect road communications (high capacity and internal round). It has a forest and a littel mountain very close to it. Also, this area will have little residential skyscrapers.

(del forero buggl)

The stations is a medium-size one. The entrance is at 0 level, but the trains are in the 1 level.

(from wikipedia)

The high speed train (AVE) will reach the city in 2015 to Madrid. In 2018, it will also be connected to the Basque Country and France.

During winter, this is the typical image, the area is pretty cold

(pic from diario de burgos digital)

To sum up, an image that is not possible to see anymore, the rails now do not cross the city area

(pic from diario de burgos digital)
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #33
Erolisk
Dust to Dust

On my way to San Sebastian ,my car broke down in Burgos back in 2005 . I stayed at las vegas hotel I pretty much liked the coziness of the city ..
Old May 30th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #34
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erolisk View Post
On my way to San Sebastian ,my car broke down in Burgos back in 2005 . I stayed at las vegas hotel I pretty much liked the coziness of the city ..
You should come back to Burgos, the city has changed a lot in 6 years, I can tell.

I will post some pictures of the "Noche Blanca" (White Night") from last saturday, it was 6 hours of culture on the streets of Burgos.
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #35
serfin

Likes (Received): 277

I miss inside cathedral's pictures, and Carlos V archade I can't see it, and Huelgas Monastry, where's? Anyway, Burgos is a wonder castilian city, full of history and architecture.
serfin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #36
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón

Now, one of the busiest places of the city:

PLAZA MAYOR

It is a pretty open space, always full of life, also because it connects the new part of the city with the historic center. It is pretty colorful, it has an irregular polygon shape, pretty uncommon in Spain.

This picture was taken during summer last year. Also, near this Plaza, there are the main places to eat "tapas", some places are just amazing (this will come in another post)
Old June 4th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #37
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

It´s simply beautiful.

An amazing city which combines the old and the new perfectly.

In Spain not only the big cities have modernized, but also the medium size ones like Burgos. It´s wonderful to see the transformation.

Please more pictures when you can.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #38
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón

Quote:
Originally Posted by madridhere View Post
It´s simply beautiful.

An amazing city which combines the old and the new perfectly.

In Spain not only the big cities have modernized, but also the medium size ones like Burgos. It´s wonderful to see the transformation.

Please more pictures when you can.
Thanks madridhere.

I agree with you, Burgos is turning into a medium size city, an it is pretty representative of a nice Spanish city.

I have to post some pictures about the Noche Blanca, hope to do it today.
Old June 4th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #39
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón

NOCHE BLANCA 2011

This pictures where taken during the evening and night of the last saturday, there was an event in the city called "White Night". Hundreds of cultural performances all around the city, to support the candidature to the 2016 european capital of culture.

This event was able to attract more than 186.000 people (the city has a population of 180.000

Let's start with some random pictures of nice places of Burgos:

This bull statue with the fountain was built last month, it is a memory of the previous bull fighting stadium, which was near this place.

Some pics of the Arlanzón:

The R means Re-Evolution, joining the words revolution, and evolution (for Human Evolution of Atapuerca). This building is the future Congress and Exposition Center of Burgos, a huge complex that will be open in 2012.

The next picture shows the small but wonderfull Post Office, built in the beginning of the XX century.

This bus forms the Line 1, which joins the city center surroundings with Gamonal, the most populated neighbourhood (60.000 population). It has a frequency of 7 minutes (pretty good though), and moves 4 million passangers per year.

The Complex of Human Evolution seen from the other side of the Arlanzón:

The ruins of San Juan Monastery, near the Camino de Santiago.

Some parts are still in good state, like this museum of Marceliano Santa María, the painter of Castile.

This is Marceliano:

This painting is very important for me. It shows one little neighbourhood of Burgos, called Villatoro, where I have lived my childhood. The painting shows the rural and agriculture origins of it, so wonderful. The place has not change a lot, the painting is from the 1950's.

Another painting, this shows the San Lesmes Church, the area has change a lot:

The cleanliness of the river is remarkable:

This kind of steps join the Complex of Human Evolution with the riverside, an impressive place to relax and see nature.

The left building shows the CENIEH, the National Center for Human Evolution Studies.

This is the Museum of Human Evolution, it was open last year, it has 1000 visitors per day, the most visited museum in Castilla y León, and will reach the top 10 of Spanish more visited museums. I will explain it better in other posts:

The sculpture is iMiguelón, it represents part of the skulls discover in Atapuerca, dated 800.000 year ago

The fountain and the Complex at the back:

The El Cid statue.

Some event in the Cathedral square:

The dome of the Cathedral

As I told you before, the light in this city is impressive. This view is pretty common, and also so impressive:

The night starts. This is the Palace of the Organizational Area of Burgos (a province too).

The Arco de Santa María:

Some proyections in the Cathedral façade:

Hope you like it.

Last edited by cuartango; June 4th, 2011 at 04:50 PM.
cuartango está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #40
Dante_1
walking in the dark

Likes (Received): 1043

Excellent thread *cuartango, thanks for all pics.
We have a wonderful city.Keep it up
Dante_1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
spain in the world