daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #81
Crazy Dude
Urban Explorer

Likes (Received): 3393

Where's the project at all those pics? :/
Crazy Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #82
sepul

Likes (Received): 1566

title of the thread says "demo".. this is still a proposed supertall subforum, not U/C subforum.
sepul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #83
nazrey

Likes (Received): 10734

Tradewinds in talks with Arab investors
SHAREN KAURPublished: 2013/12/20
http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_New...#ixzz2nyTthzZS

FUNDING FOR MEGA PROJECTS: Arabs seeking a majority stake in company's developments, say sources

TRADEWINDS Corp Bhd's major shareholder is in talks with rich Arab investors to help fund its developments in Kuala Lumpur, Johor and Langkawi, sources said.

Negotiations are currently centred on the Arabs seeking a majority stake in the developments, they added.

The investors are also asking for a minority interest in Tradewinds, a property development and investment group controlled by Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar Al-Bukhary.

"Tradewinds has several projects, including sizeable landbanks in Johor and Langkawi which it plans to develop over the next five to seven years. The shareholder, however, does not want to borrow from banks and prefers Arab money.

"In return, the Arabs want to control the developments that they fund and have a minority interest in Tradewinds. The terms and conditions and methods of funding are being discussed," a source told Business Times.

Tradewinds' existing projects include the upgrading of Menara Tun Razak and the development of Tradewinds Centre at Jalan Sultan Ismail, both of which are projected to cost over RM4 billion, the source said.

The group is demolishing the 40-year-old Crowne Plaza Mutiara Hotel and 33-year-old Kompleks Antarabangsa to make way for the Tradewinds Centre, which has an estimated gross development value of more than RM7 billion.

Tradewinds has said it will redevelop the 2.8-hectare site on its own over seven years.

The project will comprise Grade A+ offices, a 24-storey corporate block, a large-scale 14-storey medical centre, retail offices, serviced apartments and hotel.

The centrepiece will be a 65-floor skyscraper and 54-storey residences, complimented by a central plaza.

At Menara Tun Razak, Tradewinds is upgrading the 35-storey office tower and constructing a new 40-storey office tower adjacent to it.

Meanwhile in Langkawi, Tradewinds owns about 60 hectares of land there, which has been earmarked for mixed tourism-related developments.

It also has a 360ha landbank in Iskandar Malaysia, Johor.

nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 11:30 AM   #84
davidwsk

Likes (Received): 3247

Alabbar returns to property scene

21 dec 2013

KUALA LUMPUR: Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar Al-Bukhary and UAE-based Mohamed Ali Rashed Alabbar have teamed up to develop the RM6 billion Tradewinds Centre project in Kuala Lumpur.

It is learnt that Mohamed Ali, or better known as Alabbar, has set up a company called Tradewinds International Sdn Bhd to undertake the property venture with Syed Mokhtar.

Alabbar, the founder and chairman of Dubai’s Emaar Properties, is already in partnership with Syed Mokhtar to build an aluminium smelter in Sarawak.

A search at the Companies Commission of Malaysia reveals that Tradewinds International was set up less than two months ago on Oct 25. Its three shareholders are Alabbar, MMC Corp Bhd chief executive Datuk Seri Che Khalib Mohamad Noh and Cheng Mooi Soong. The three are also directors of the company.

Tradewinds International’s website states that it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tradewinds Corp Bhd, which was delisted on Sept 26. Tradewinds International was registered a month after the delisting.

The website also said: “… Mr Alabbar is focused on growing Tradewinds International into a world-class real estate developer and strategic adviser for master planning services.”

In a recent interview in Dubai, Alabbar told The Edge Financial Daily that he travelled frequently to Malaysia as he and Syed Mokhtar have been in partnership for years. However, he did not mention Tradewinds International.

Alabbar did say that he was looking at other opportunities in Malaysia as he finds it a very exciting market. According to him, there have been serious discussions on certain matters and it is likely that a decision will be made soon.

He indicated that there are also plans to venture into the hospitality and retail sectors, and to look at Iskandar Malaysia via Tradewinds. “Everybody is talking about Iskandar, so we need to look at Iskandar too,” he said without elaborating.

Alabbar made the headlines in 2003, when he was made chairman of United Malayan Land Bhd following his acquisition of a 24.7% stake from Pernas International Holdings Bhd. In April 2005, he relinquished his position and quietly left the local property scene.

Tradewinds Corp owns and operates hotels such as The Danna Langkawi, The Istana Hotel Kuala Lumpur, Mutiara Johor Bahru and Mutiara Taman Negara. It also owns the Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa in Langkawi, Hilton Kuching, Hilton Petaling Jaya and the Batang Ai Longhouse Resort, managed by Hilton in Sarawak.

In terms of landbank in Johor, Tradewinds Corp has a total of 3,661 acres available for development. The parcels of land are located in Nusajaya (607 acres), Sedili (2,055 acres), Pulai (629 acres) and Mount Austin (370 acres).

Tradewinds Corp also operates the Harrods outlets in Malaysia, while its unit is participating in the development of the world’s first Harrods Hotel and Residences.

On its website, Tradewinds International describes itself as a premier Asian property developer based in Malaysia with a forte in creating iconic integrated development projects comprising mixed-use residential, commercial and retail segments.

Tradewinds Centre, which has an estimated gross development value of RM6 billion, will be on an 8.58-acre site and will offer 5.5 million sq ft in gross floor area, comprising retail outlets, offices, serviced apartments and a medical centre.

It will replace the old Crowne Plaza Mutiara and Kompleks Antarabangsa buildings in Jalan Sultan Ismail. The new building will have four towers and a retail podium. The towers will include a 65-storey and a 24-storey office block, as well as a 54-storey serviced apartment and a 14-storey medical centre.

Alabbar, the founder and chairman of Africa Middle East Resources, is said to also have a 50:50 joint venture with Syed Mokhtar in that company.

More: THE EDGE http://www.theedgeproperty.com/news-...rty-scene.html
davidwsk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:37 AM   #85
davidwsk

Alabbar eyes Asian property

Posted on December 21, 2013 | 460 Views | Topic : Property News.

BY RISEN JAYASEELAN

Mohamed Alabbar, founder and chairman of Emaar Properties.

The man behind the development of the Burj Khalifa has his eyes set on Asia, Malaysia in particular.

To Mohamed Alabbar, one of the biggest names in the Arab business world, Asia is an obvious choice for his expansion, considering the huge amount of growth taking place here.

“I would like to build a new version of downtown Dubai in Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Bangkok. We have a proven model,” Alabbar tells The Star in his Dubai office on the sidelines of a media trip organised by Alabbar and his Emaar Properties company.

Already a local media report has linked Alabbar with the RM6bil Tradewinds Centreproject in Kuala Lumpur, via a natural team-up with his long time business partner Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar Al-Bukhary.

But there could be more. Insiders tell StarBizWeek that Alabbar could also be eyeing the sprawling Bandar Malaysia project by 1MDB Real Estate RE (1MDB RE). Then there is the likelihood that Alabbar could do something in Iskandar Johor.

Alabbar declines to comment on anything specific but concedes he is excited about the possibilities in Malaysia.

Alabbar and his Emaar Properties group, the company he founded in 1997 and remains in its drivers seat as chairman, are known for their audacious achievements in building key landmarks in Dubai, the world’s tallest man-made building, the Burj, and the largest shopping and entertainment project, The Dubai Mall.

The Burj is also the centrepiece for Downtown Dubai, hailed as Dubai’s most prestigious square kilometre and which is also home to the iconic Dubai Fountain and Burj Park. Part of the Burj’s development includes the Armani Hotel Dubai and the world’s highest restaurant, At.mosphere.

But perhaps the greatest achievement of this business cum residential complex is the fact that it literally “rose out of the desert” and is growing everyday.

Alabbar rattles off the numbers: on Dec 8, 2012, (exactly a year ago) Downtown Dubai enjoyed 166,000 arrivals. “Yesterday (Dec 8, 2013) we had 200,000,” he says.

Burj Khalifa.

“Every city needs a development like this, to show off to its people how something so spectacular can be created, and in Dubai’s case, from literally a desert town,” Alabbar says.

He is right. Downtown Dubai is impressive and teeming with visitors of different nationalities.

By Emaar’s account, the Dubai Mall is the world’s most visited shopping and entertainment center, with an average footfall of 6.4 million per month and with 38.4 million visitors in the first half of 2013. This means its full year number is going to beat the already impressive 65 million visitor number of 2012.

Then there are the daily queues for the not-to-be-missed sights: going up to the Burj’s observation deck (no surprise that that’s the tallest in the world as well) and watching the exquisite evening shows of the Dubai Fountain.

Alabbar’s model for success seems simple enough: learning from others and using the best of breed of designers, architects, engineers and the likes.

Interestingly, one of the first batch of consultants flown down to Dubai early on this project was a team responsible for our very own Petronas Twin Towers.

But it seems though that while Alabbar and team studied many projects, including Paris’ Avenue des Champs-Elysées, he particularly paid attention to learning from past mistakes.

Unlike the Petronas Twin Towers, the Burj is placed in the centre of Emaar’s own developments, ensuring that they get the best effects of having the tallest building in their midst rather that giving that luxury up to other developers who seemingly get a free ride.

The shortcomings of that luxury street on Paris was the shortage of parking bays and public toilets. No problem. Downtown Dubai used their underground levels to fill this gap: 5000 parking bays, 50 toilets and numerous mosques.

A lot of time and money goes into detailed planning and execution. “It doesn’t matter if we make slightly lesser profits by going the extra mile with our work. We are passionate about what we do,” he says.

The Emaar group has also turned other parts of Dubai into high-end themed residential complexes.

According to one report, Emaar had delivered an average of US$1.8bil worth of projects every year for the last 13 years.

But things had not looked so sanguine just four years ago when Dubai suffered a crash, with property prices plunging by nearly 60%.

Help from neighboring Abu Dhabi underpinned Dubai’s recovery and since then, things are looking up, with property prices rising around 40% this year alone, according to one report.

Incidentally, Dubai tops a recently-released rating by London based property researchers Knight Frank, as the city enjoying the best prime property price rises for 2013 and 2014 (forecast).

Alabbar is steering Emaar to venture into the rest of the world, including Turkey, India, Pakistan and the US and Canada.

But Asia is increasingly on his radar. Alabbar was quoted in a Middle East media report recently as saying he wants to build in Asia, something taller than the Burj.

When asked about this he tells SBW: “I would love to. But it’s not just a building. You will need to create an entire ecosystem around such a monument. You will need around 300 to 500 acres of land and be right smack in the cities of Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Bangkok or Jakarta.

Interestingly, Alabbar says there such sites do exist in some of these cities, even Kuala Lumpur but gives no further clues. “I know my business, I’ve been studying these places for a while now and plans are afoot,” he says.

‘Building iPhone7’

Alabbar though is quick to point out that he’s not merely looking at building another Downtown Dubai.

“That’s iPhone5. I am looking at creating the ‘iPhone7’. It will look bigger and better,” he says, applying the metaphor of the Apple product to his property development plans.

Tradewinds Centre, Bandar Malaysia and Iskandar are all possiblities

Already reports are out that Alabbar has set up a company with Syed Mokhtar called Tradewinds International to undertake the RM6bil Tradewinds Centre project, which will be on an 8.58-acre site and will offer 5.5 million sq ft in gross floor area in a mixed development project.

More interesting perhaps is Bandar Malaysia. This is how it is described on 1MDB’s website:

“The 495-acre Bandar Malaysia is envisioned to be an inclusive, public transit-oriented city that is designed as a walkable community through a series of safe, secure and pleasant pedestrian and cycling networks, set against a backdrop of open spaces and greenery.”

Clearly, this is a dream project for any major property player especially Alabbar with its track record in Dubai. Aside from that, Alabbar could also be teaming up with Syed Mokhtar on other parcels of land in the country which are owned by companies linked to the latter.

On Iskandar Malaysia, Alabbar says: “I’m looking at a few things and I’m watching the laws that are coming into play such as the new rules that impact foreign buyers and how this is playing out on the Singaporean buyers for example.”

Alabbar is no stranger to Malaysia.

Aside from his partnership with Syed Mokhtar – the two have also announced a venture to build a mining company focused on Africa – Alabbar had at one point been in the driver seat of UM Land Bhd when it was poised to grow its township developments in the Klang Valley and Iskandar Johor.

But Alabbar didn’t stay long. “I was stretched, so many things were going on in Emaar so I had to give it (UM Land) up.”

Now though things could be different. Alabbar reveals he’s making frequent trips to Kuala Lumpur and even has a swanky new office built in the city. He’s certainly worth watching closely.

The CEO who doesn’t sit

THE 45 minute-meeting with Mohamed Alabbar at his office in Dubai was an entertaining experience.

The fast-talking 50-year old is full of energy. His views are, let’s say, unexpected.

He had just met with Pope Francis a few weeks prior and was proud to share the photo opportunity with us. Alabbar says he has great respect for the Pope for his efforts at inter-religious dialogue. Alabbar also talks about the lack of strong and progressive leadership among some Middle East countries. Alabbar is a close confidante of Dubai’s ruler, Sheikh Mohammed Rashid al-Maktoum, whose book, My vision: Challenges in the Race for Excellence describes what went behind the creation of Dubai into what it is today.

Excerpts from StarBizWeek’s interview with Alabbar:

How long would it take to replicate a Downtown Dubai in an Asian city?

Alabbar: It would take five years, employing 50,000 people, with a 24-hour work schedule, provided the market is good.

You rely a lot of third party contractors. How do you ensure this works well?

We don’t “play”. Our contractors are horrified of us. We only go to the best contractors. When we sign, I literally ‘sit inside them’, to control their very breathing. I pay them well and we don’t delay but the message is, ‘no games’ ‘deliver on time and as promised’ as our reputation is at stake. No mediocre contractors are taken in. It doesn’t matter if they are slightly more expensive than the rest. This is to literally build a new city, something to achieve in our lifetime.

One shouldn’t be overtaken by absolute profits.

Do you think you can find pieces of land available for development in Asian cities?

Yes, if you look carefully, every city, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Bangkok, Jakarta even in Myanmar, there are these pockets that could be turned into a Dubai downtown type development. I have surveyed all these cities. And these sites do exist. I have said that in my lifetime, I would like to build two more (of Dubai downtown type projects). But maybe I will do five. There’s no harm in dreaming.”

But Kuala Lumpur already has KLCC? Do we need another tall building?

Yes, good job done on KLCC. But that was a long time ago. Globally cities are growing. Even if you begin now, you will only finish in five years. Imagine the growth in Kuala Lumpur five years from now.

You also want to build a global mining company.

Yes, that’s the plan. The market is slow but we carry on, we’re learning so much about Africa. If you have the right people it will be fine.

How do you manage these people and retain them?

It’s not easy. I’m a performance guy. You need to run with me. So finding runners is not easy. I don’t tolerate non-performers. I don’t carry people for free.

You have a standing office and you recently implemented standing meeting rooms, I’m told. Why?

Yes, why do you need a chair? I sit most of my day. People who work in restaurants and retail stores make minimum wage but they stand for very long hours. People like me who make much more money, should be standing longer than them. I should sleep standing up. So we now have standing meeting rooms in the office. People waste so much time in meetings. But with standing up, interestingly, meetings are shorter and more meaningful, as everyone wants to get over the pointers and get out of the meeting room. In fact, less meetings are also called, as issues are settled over the phone.

There are also no doors in our offices. I tell them, “if you want to discuss something private, please do that at home. We are here doing Emaar business so what big secret is this.”

http://www.starproperty.my/index.php...sian-property/
Old February 6th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #86
UjaiDidida
Ruzaini Roosfa

Location: Kuala Lumpur Currently in: Johor Bahru From: Bandar Baru Bangi Favourite Food: Nasi Lemak
Likes (Received): 1813

4th February 2014

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0237 UjaiDidida Ujai Didida - by ujai_didida, on Flickr
UjaiDidida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #87
davidwsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltimer View Post
22.Feb.14
image hosted on flickr
-------
Old February 26th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #88
davidwsk

Feb 27, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengilo View Post

Today

.Not too long ago
Old March 13th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #89
davidwsk

March 8, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by azey View Post
Old March 13th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #90
nazrey

Old March 13th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #91
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

will they slowly deconstruct it or blow it to smithereens?
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #92
davidwsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
will they slowly deconstruct it or blow it to smithereens?
They are doing the top down method , slowly

KillerZavatar liked this post
Old March 19th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #93
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

that surely wasn't the answer i was hoping for

Fabouninou liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 12:02 PM   #94
nazrey

image hosted on flickr

Kuala Lumpur by Cheryl & Rich, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Kuala Lumpur by Cheryl & Rich, on Flickr

azey liked this post
Old May 4th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #95
nazrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dstrollo/14065750986
Old May 4th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #96
WDMAndrewZ
Construction Reporter

Likes (Received): 16

Who is the main contractor?

Andrew Zhao - Construction Reporter, Singapore
Follow me on Twitter

Construction Reporter for the Global Leader in Digital News
Construction Digital | Business Review Australia | Asia Business Review (Coming soon...)

Business: Please send me a private message to exchange contact information.

-
WDMAndrewZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #97
nazrey

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0664775&type=3

Munwon liked this post
Old June 16th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #98
Dean_14

Likes (Received): 969

http://www.tradewinds-international.com/
official website
Dean_14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #99
realitybites-u

Likes (Received): 5328

https://www.facebook.com/kldevelopme...levant_count=1

djole13 liked this post
realitybites-u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #100
realitybites-u

Likes (Received): 5328

new design for Tradewinds Centre kuala lumpur.

seems like the height has been increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by World 2 World View Post
New design?

It looks so much better than the previous one and it blends in well with the surroundings. it also seems that they have increased the height.
Luv it.

source: asymmetrica.co.uk/?portfolio=tradewinds

sepul, KillerZavatar, Munwon, Ultra84, djole13 and 1 others liked this post
realitybites-u no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
megatall