daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Johannes867

Likes (Received): 15

MOUNTAIN VIEW | Google Headquarters | Pro

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn`t found a thread about it, so discussion might start right here:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_18011875?nclick_check=1

Quote:

Google to build its own office space

By Mike Swift

[email protected]

Posted: 05/08/2011 03:00:00 PM PDT
Updated: 05/09/2011 07:45:49 AM PDT

With the Googleplex already straining at the seams and the company preparing its biggest hiring surge ever, the Mountain View Internet giant is about to do something it's never done before -- build its own office space.

The company will spend top-dollar to accommodate all those "Nooglers," as the company calls its new recruits. Google (GOOG) is planning a cutting-edge environmentally friendly design and has agreed to pay the city of Mountain View $30 million to lease 9.4 acres near Shoreline Boulevard, one of the highest prices ever for land in that section of the city.

Google has hired Ingenhoven Architects, a German firm that specializes in sustainable architecture and has completed award-winning green designs from Sydney to Stuttgart, to develop plans for what could total nearly 600,000 square feet of space. Google currently owns or leases about 4.3 million square feet of space in Mountain View, according to its securities filings.

"We've asked them to build the most green, sustainable building possible," said Jordan Newman, a Google spokesman.

Google is not sharing any details, but city officials said preliminary plans could be filed later this month, with construction starting as early as 2012.

Greener pastures

suggests it will produce an innovative, eye-catching design. Ingenhoven has designed buildings in Europe, Asia and Australia, including a tubular glass and steel structure for the new European Investment Bank headquarters in Luxembourg and a new zero-emission railway station in Stuttgart, Germany, that will require no heating, cooling or mechanical ventilation.

Many of Ingenhoven's projects have incorporated renewable energy sources such as geothermal energy as well as conservation features, and its design for a new 30-story office tower in Sydney includes an atrium open to the sky that runs up the entire height of the skyscraper, providing ventilation and light.

The Mountain View City Council approved the deal in late March, and Google is expected to make the $30 million upfront payment in June for a lease that will run for 53 years on half of the 18.6-acre city-owned site. Mountain View and Google had reached an agreement in 2007 to lease the other 9.2 acres, with Google paying an initial rent of $1.1 million a year. The two deals collectively allow Google to develop up to 595,000 square feet of office and research and development space.

Partly at Google's request, the city is also revising its long-range development plan to transform the area east of Highway 101 -- an area dominated by Google, Microsoft and Intuit (INTU) -- to include a more balanced mix of retail and housing.

"Google is just one of many, many voices that have advocated for that," said Randal Tsuda, Mountain View's community development director.

Since it was founded in a Menlo Park garage in 1998, Google's success has meant a continual hunt for larger homes -- from an upstairs office on University Avenue in downtown Palo Alto to its first Mountain View office at 2400 Bayshore Parkway. In 2003, Google leased and later bought the former headquarters of Silicon Graphics, a cluster of buildings that now makes up the heart of what is known as "the Googleplex."

Google's headquarters zone now includes more than 65 buildings that stretch along more than a mile of Charleston Road east of 101 -- more than double the space Google occupied in 2005, according to securities filings and county assessment data.

Hiring spree

But even with that additional real estate, Google is running out of space. The company's global workforce has grown by a third, or more than 6,500 workers, since the last quarter of 2009. The company, which already has about 26,000 employees, said in January that it plans to hire more people this year than ever before, surpassing the 6,131 people it added in 2007. Google doesn't disclose how many of those hires are local, but about one-third of its workforce is in the Bay Area, and the company said its hiring would reflect that ratio.

The Internet giant even appears to be eyeing another real estate first: leaping Highway 101 and expanding into the heart of Mountain View.

Real estate sources say Google is close to a deal to occupy a vacant two-building complex on Fairchild Drive just west of 101 formerly occupied by Nokia, as well as the nearby former Netscape headquarters off Ellis Street. Asked about its interest in those properties, Google declined to comment.

"If Google continues to lease buildings that are vacant or that are about to be vacant, in terms of the spinoff benefits, it's support for the downtown, it's support for related services," Tsuda said. "That's great."

Last edited by desertpunk; February 28th, 2015 at 12:21 AM. Reason: capital letters, remove advert
Johannes867 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...0,499015.story

Also I think the thread name should be changed to Googleplex because that is the name of the real complex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googleplex

Elaks liked this post

Last edited by Сталин; February 24th, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #3
DaveThompson

Likes (Received): 0

Think may because they needed their staffs to feel comfortable and wanted to get away from the city.

Last edited by DaveThompson; March 6th, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
DaveThompson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:20 AM   #4
qiensa

Likes (Received): 0

I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
qiensa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Talbot
3rd Coast

Likes (Received): 14

Interesting looking complex. I wish I could work for Google!
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Interesting looking complex. I wish I could work for Google!
Same, their HQ is just so far away from me!
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:15 AM   #7
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 798

Final (?) renderings are out

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/...quarters-plans

desertpunk, erbse, el palmesano, Kutsuit liked this post
Atmosphere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #8
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Here's Google's Plan for Its Futuristic, Robot-Assisted Glassy New Campus

Quote:
Google is proposing a vision for a new campus that completely reinvents the concept of office space. Today the company submitted a master plan for the development of Mountain View's Bayshore District and the construction of its new headquarters to city officials. According to the Silicon Valley Business Journal, which was given an advance look at the plans, Google intends to construct four transformable structures draped in glass canopies on land it already owns in North Bayshore, an office park neighborhood sitting around Highway 101 and the San Francisco Bay. Walls, floors, and ceilings inside the structures would all attach to steel frames but would be movable, allowing workspaces to change size and shape easily and regularly as needed. Starchitects Bjarke Ingels of BIG and Thomas Heatherwick of Heatherwick Studios have joined forces to lead the design of the headquarters.

In addition to the four innovative structures, Google's master plan imagines a campus filled with nature and open in some sections to the public. Walking trails, plazas, and community gardens would sit among natural wetlands and oak woodlands. At least one Google building would be open to the public to walk through as part of a pedestrian trail. The plan would completely reengineer the area, adding 2.5 million square feet of net new office space, enough for more than 12,000 new workers.

[...]

Kutsuit liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 01:28 AM   #9
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

Very dubious about this concept, and dubious about their choices. They should just honestly say, "We picked the two hottest names in big money starchitecture today." They're cramming everything under that glass tent: environmental sensitivity and remediation, urban density and liveliness, reconfigurability, etc. But it's still unavoidably reliant on suburban sprawl infrastructure.

If Google wanted urban density, liveliness, community integration, and environmental sensitivity, they'd build in an urban environment, period. I actually think Foster and Apple's project is better, at least it isn't trying to be something it isn't or can't be, but rather refining the suburban office park model to the architecture of the Marin County Civic Center's level.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 10:04 PM   #10
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 798

Good point hateman, I agree.
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #11
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5841

^ I do agree with hatemen, up to some point. I really prefer the open approach of Google over the fortress approach of Apple. I am skeptical about the aim of turning this pedestrian hostile suburbanity into something urban like but if Google makes its campus not a giant barrier but allows various ways for cyclists and pedestrians through this campus, this is a real benefit for the whole neighbourhood. Apple does the opposite. It took a a mega block and fused it with even more blocks to form an even larger barrier for everything and everyone.

Another thing that seems to be way superior of the google approach is its modularity. There is not one huge building but there are clusters of buildings. That is certainly a much more flexible and better working alternative to one monolithic giant. Of course, also Apple has a phase 2 plan, but while Google could redraw its expansion without damaging the concept much in the case of Apples HQ the Phase 2 buildings look some ill-fitted to the original monolith.

So we will see how these two concepts work out in the end.

I just imagine what these companies could achieve in terms of HQ campus quality if they looked for some rusty brown site in relatively central urban location. Such a major site could create a company campus in an urban environment. It might be able to make use of some of the old building structure as well, which could improve the overall atmosphere and sense of belonging of the place. ... well, but there is probably a bit of a short supply of this in Silicon valley.
Old March 8th, 2015, 03:33 AM   #12
HulkRogan

Likes (Received): 2

Google sure has a budget for these kind of things...
HulkRogan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 12:14 PM   #13
blacktrojan3921
Yes, that is my face~

Likes (Received): 88

Very interesting; considering that the Economist pointed out something foreboding about this project: http://www.economist.com/news/busine...ortempleofdoom

Quote:
MARC ANDREESSEN knows a thing or two about Silicon Valley’s penchant for status symbols and its braggadocio. As a venture capitalist and serial entrepreneur, he has helped turn more than a few minnows into high-tech giants. As an investor, he serves these days on the boards of Facebook and Hewlett-Packard, among others. Along with avoiding such cardinal sins as going public too soon and being too eager to cash out, Mr Andreessen is adamant that his charges must refrain, at all cost, from pouring huge sums into glamorous new headquarters.

Silicon Valley did not invent the edifice complex. The compulsion to build monuments to a ruler’s power and prestige has existed since history began. But flush with cash and with interest rates near zero, the Valley’s leading lights are now competing with each other over who can build the most lavish digs, to feed their corporate egos as well as to attract and retain talent.

blacktrojan3921 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #14
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveThompson View Post
Think may because they needed their staffs to feel comfortable and wanted to get away from the city.
Google isn't in a city, its in a suburb.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 12:45 AM   #15
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
Google isn't in a city, its in a suburb.
I wonder when they are going to learn that very few of their employees want anything at all to do with a suburb. They increasingly want to live in dense cities with good mass transit so they can live without a car (no fuel, repair, or maintanence costs) and walk to local destinations. The major tech firms have to run huge shuttle fleets to make up for it.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #16
Kutsuit
Nadia 🗺 ✈

Likes (Received): 9015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
Wow! I love it! Go Google!

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Yellow Fever; March 10th, 2017 at 06:01 PM.
Kutsuit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 02:40 PM   #17
phiss
From Lyon User

Likes (Received): 1889

News :
http://www.mountainview.gov/depts/co...eston_east.asp

Quote:
In May 2015, Google Inc. submitted an application to construct a 2-level, 595,000 sq. ft. office building and remove 196 heritage trees on an 18.6-acre project site. This project is located in the North Bayshore Precise Plan area.

On March 7, 2017, the City Council approved the project
Project Plans : https://www.dropbox.com/s/rio79jt8ov...ton%20East.pdf

erbse liked this post

Last edited by phiss; March 10th, 2017 at 02:49 PM.
phiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 07:36 AM   #18
DarkLite
vital

Likes (Received): 15809

This is taking forever to go ahead. This surprises me because Google is sitting in a mountain of cash and can't even define what kind of headquarters they want.

baisaroff liked this post
DarkLite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 01:00 PM   #19
Christi69

Likes (Received): 182

Maybe they should Google the web to get some inspirational designs?!!
Christi69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #20
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50818

Googleplex - Google Campus by Tony Shi, on Flickr

Googleplex - Google Campus by Tony Shi, on Flickr
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bay area