daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #21
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Seoul Subway Photos

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #22
ddes

Likes (Received): 934

Nice pictures...

The rolling stock sure looks wide...
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #23
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

At my request?

It looks very Japanese... Were they involved in the development at all?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #24
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

have somebody the old Seoul metro maps?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #25
sterlinglush

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
At my request?

It looks very Japanese... Were they involved in the development at all?
According to the Wikipedia entry for Line 1, the Japanese were involved in the planning and construction. Beyond that, not so much, although many general design elements can be seen systemwide.

And to the other above poster, yeah, the trains are huge.
sterlinglush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #26
slashcruise
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

nice pics...But doesnt look modern metro and color scheme is too boring.It might be good for people in Seoul......
slashcruise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #27
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Why do you think that...?
Aside from the first picture with the somewhat shabby-looking map, it looks modern to me. And I second that the rolling stock is very reminiscent of Japanese trains, but wider.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #28
canadave87

Likes (Received): 15

It's nice. Nothing terribly spectacular, but it certainly looks very functional.
canadave87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #29
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

why are the handles on springs?

sbondorf liked this post
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #30
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

i'm curious... what does this wall mean?

DJZG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #31
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
why are the handles on springs?
Probably for shorter people.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #32
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

The inside of those trains seems MASSIVE!!!:O

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #33
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

A'REX in Korea

AREX is the Republic of Korea's largest ever private investment project, and Its first public infrastructure private investment railway project. It is a response to both growing air traffic and the need for diversification of transport provision.

AREX is a 61km double-track railway with 10 stations, a rolling stock depot and a central control facility, It is a major (4 trillion Won) private investment project.

ROUTE
Incheon International Airport ~ Incheon International Airport Cargo Terminal ~ Unseo ~ Geomam ~ Gyeyang ~ Gimpo International Airport ~ Digital Media City ~ Hongik University ~ Gongdeok ~ Seoul Station

Phase 1 (opened in 2007)
40.3 km (Incheon International Airport ~ Incheon International Airport Cargo Terminal ~ Unseo ~ Geomam ~ Gyeyang ~ Gimpo International Airport)

Phase 2 (under construction)
20.7 km (Gimpo International Airport ~ Digital Media City ~ Hongik University ~ Gongdeok ~ Seoul Station)

Official Site : http://www.arex.or.kr/jsp/eng/index.jsp

from http://blog.empas.com/choipr

from http://www.flickr.com/photos/titicat/tags/arex/
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #34
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Cool project.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #35
Simon91

Likes (Received): 241

Woah! Awesome!
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #36
Jaroslaw

Likes (Received): 80

This project is a bad joke. Almost no one uses the train. I went into that station once on a busy late afternoon, and I thought it wasn't in service yet, that's how quiet it was.

Even to Kimpo, the bus is faster than the train, more comfortable (you are guaranteed a seat), and more frequent.

Plus, the bus terminal is a lot closer than the train station at Incheon. To get to the train, you need to go outside and walk about 500 meters, then a long descent underground. Who's going to do that with luggage? The train-terminal connection in Hong Kong or even in Tokyo Kansai is so much better!
Jaroslaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #37
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslaw View Post
This project is a bad joke. Almost no one uses the train. I went into that station once on a busy late afternoon, and I thought it wasn't in service yet, that's how quiet it was.

Even to Kimpo, the bus is faster than the train, more comfortable (you are guaranteed a seat), and more frequent.

Plus, the bus terminal is a lot closer than the train station at Incheon. To get to the train, you need to go outside and walk about 500 meters, then a long descent underground. Who's going to do that with luggage? The train-terminal connection in Hong Kong or even in Tokyo Kansai is so much better!
You are right that there're not much passengers now. But I don't think it's a bad joke. One of the main target of this project is ' to link Incheon airport to Seoul station', providing easy access to Incheon airport for those who use trains at Seoul station. And if phase 2 is completed it will be linked to subway line 1,2,4,5,6,9 then it means you can use it more easily.
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #38
sterlinglush

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslaw View Post

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a bad joke, but the implementation has been impractical. Only extending the line to Gimpo wasn't the smartest idea, because by far most passengers will be going to and from other parts of the Seoul/Incheon metro area. In its current form, the only people who benefit are people transferring between airports. The express trains are useless, also: they only run once an hour and save a few minutes. What's the point? The upside is that no one checks your ticket once you're on board, so if there's no commuter train and the express is about to depart, just board and take a seat. You're pretty much guaranteed a no-hassle trip, particularly if you do not appear Korean.

Yes, the buses are closer: you can walk right out of baggage claim and board a bus in short order. However, you have to wait outside in subfreezing weather. The train station is a longer walk but it's all indoors. And personally, being prone to motion sickness, and not sharing the Korean love of suffocating heat during winter, I'd rather eat a bowl of light bulbs than take one of those airport buses. When I lived in Korea, I took the subway to Gimpo and AREX the rest of the way to Incheon whenever possible. It wasn't the fastest option and could be annoying with a suitcase, but it was much better than arriving half dead from nausea and oxygen deprivation.
sterlinglush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #39
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

Likes (Received): 2430

Are these rotem vehicles?
Messi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #40
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentinian Messi View Post