daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2015, 12:18 PM   #121
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101926

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I'm sure that's a good thing, Seoul isn't in China.
You've misundertood me. Here in Russia those who are interested in subways always tell there's no difference in metros in China, Korea, Japan and Singapore, they all look the same: dull and not very cosy. I don't think so, every mentioned has their own style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeguDuke View Post
It's an excellent thing. Seoul metro is a hundred times better than anything I've seen in China, glad it's different lol.

Last time I was in Beijing I ended up with bruises from riding the subway.. Glad the people are different too
If you've been to Beijing only, that's a pity.

Could I ask you why Seoul metro is "hundreds time better"?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #122
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1889

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
If you've been to Beijing only, that's a pity. Could I ask you why Seoul metro is "hundreds time better"?
Been to Beijing, Seoul, Busan, Daegu, Tokyo, Kyoto, Singapore, Shanghai, HongKong. Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok too.

Beijing was by far the worst.

Most of the lines end at the circle line. I stayed out at Wangjing and this meant the subway line I was riding ended not once but twice. Everyone on that train had to get off and transfer. Walking ages, with hundreds of people, constantly shoved and elbowed. Further extensions through town centre will help but until then DongZhiMen is hell. Why can't they build shorter transfers between platforms?!

More lines, higher station density, announcements in Korean, English and often Japanese and Chinese (for transfers and tourist stops). Stations have clear signage. Every station has a map with the surrounding neighbourhood, including bus stops and display next bus times.

Digital TV, phone, super fast data, wifi etc all work everywhere - stations, trains, tunnels. Trains are frequent and not jam packed, the public transit timetables are specifically planned by mathematicians. Transfers are short and usually trains timed to arrive just when you get to the platform. There are toilets and convenience stores between platforms so you can pee and/or grab a snack and a beer on your way.

Oh, super helpful staff, had a problem topping up my transit card in Busan once and the old man who worked there started quizzing me in perfect English about Scotch whiskey. Your bank card works for the subway, bus etc. I had transfer discounts going from a subway in Daegu, KTX to Ulsan and my bus fair was half price as it was within an hour.

Express services and the GTX will be built in the next decade or so. Suburban routes don't require changes. Stations in Seoul are of a higher quality too - the platforms in Beijing are pretty dire. Clean, comfortable. Not having to wait 15min for a train. The Airport line will also have the high speed train (KTX) run along it.

Beijing was cheaper per mile, that is honestly the only good thing I can say about it. The airport security wasn't nice either (although I understand the need for it there). Hell with luggage from the airport. Not quite a hundred reasons but you get the point. Shanghai was much better, HK better still. Beijing has a lot of catching up to do.

Zaz965 liked this post
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 12:04 AM   #123
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1039

Absolutely agreed. I was able to go with luggage in tow from Sinchon, to Yeoksam, all the way to the airport without breaking a sweat--literally or metaphorically--when my study abroad ended.

By contrast, going from Houshayu to Muxidi and then to the airport in Beijing was physical work, and any transfer on lines one and two was an absolute nightmare--they took 15 minutes when the stations weren't crowded (which happened once...I think) and access with heavy bags was terrible.

And I thought that Seoul had poor pedestrian friendliness until I went to Beijing, which now defines that concept in my mind.

Zaz965 liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 08:24 AM   #124
_Night City Dream_

Guys, I agree that there's still a development road to travel for Beijing, but I was asked why

Quote:
Seoul metro is a hundred times better than anything I've seen in China
I can easily understand that Seoul metro is better than Beijing Subway but the other systems? I can also agree that Chinese people from province, villages are not so well-educated but that's not the system.

DaeguDuke, things you described apply well to Shanghai, for instance. Convenience store, fast internet access etc - everything is there. Stations are clean, air-conditioned and there's no noise coming from trains.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 10th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #125
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Shanghai subway was much better than Beijing. It should've been better than Seoul too considering it was started 20 years after but still..

Many of the same problems as Beijing - transfers were long, don't remember there being toilets between platforms, staff at stations didn't speak English, generally just not as easy to use as in Korea, subway lines end before the city and have to change, train frequency, I think all of Seoul has/will soon have screen doors too.
Don't have to change trains when you go further out - Shanghai has a few extensions tagged on as separate lines. Shouldn't ignore the fact that you can get on one high speed train in Busan or Yeosu and ride it all the way through Seoul, onto the AREX and straight to the airport. 1 seat journeys. Line 9 also runs express, GTX on the way, a few areas have their own light rail systems. Was there wifi in the trains in Shanghai? Most of the time it was way to busy for me to think about getting my phone out.. Stations could do with neighbourhood info (and not just in mandarin).
Old January 11th, 2015, 03:03 AM   #126
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1039

Yes, the multilingual-ness built into Seoul's subway is very nice, but it's important for us to remember that odds are, the ratio of Chinese people to foreigners will likely always be higher than Koreans to foreigners, what with there being 26 times more Chinese people than Koreans. It's important for Seoul (and Korea) to be more international than Beijing because there's just always going to be less of it (meaning native people) to go around.

As for the subways themselves, I think the advantage for Seoul comes from two things: the short transfers and the locations of stations, the latter being primarily attributable to the fact that Seoul's planners seem to have had some idea of how to build a decently walkable city, whereas Beijing, once again, is awful in that regard.

I have to admit though, I did like the little jingles that play on Seoul's various lines . I don't remember anything like that in Beijing; sort of points out the thing my Mandarin teacher said about Korea and Japan going that little extra step to make things nicer than they'd be in China. Maybe that's due to wealth. I don't know.

Zaz965 liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 05:04 AM   #127
ilhamputra

Likes (Received): 49

wow such a big metro system

Zaz965 liked this post
ilhamputra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 06:09 AM   #128
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I have to admit though, I did like the little jingles that play on Seoul's various lines . I don't remember anything like that in Beijing; sort of points out the thing my Mandarin teacher said about Korea and Japan going that little extra step to make things nicer than they'd be in China. Maybe that's due to wealth. I don't know.
Everything has a jingle in Korea. Supermarkets, subway transfer stations (and end of the line), even my washing machine played music. Super helpful if you fall asleep on the metro as you won't miss your transfer.
Which won't be the entire train of people, no crush, no bruises from elbows, short walk and timed exactly so that you have just enough time to walk a little quicker and grab a 1000₩ coffee before getting on the train as it arrives

aquaticko liked this post
Old March 19th, 2015, 08:40 AM   #129
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26185

Taken from Korean transport thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbough View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
Openning schedule of Seoul Line 9
- Phase 2 : March of 2015
- Phase 3 : April of 2016
The Line 9 extension of 5 stations will open on March 28. The five stations are Oenju(언주), Seonjeongneung(선정릉), Samseungjungang (삼성중앙), Boeunsa (보은사) and Sports Complex (종합운동장).

Info from kojects.com

Quote:
As anyone who has taken Line 9 will know, there are currently only four cars for each train meaning that services can get extremely crowded, especially in a city where 8-10 cars are standard for many lines. This is further exacerbated by how often trains come which is every 5-5.5 minutes during peak times and 6-7 minutes normally.

On 31 January, Line 9 timetables were changed from one express train for every two all-stop trains to one express train for every all-stop train as trial operations on the new extension began. While this means that express trains now actually come more often, all-stop trains come less often and overall services have decreased by 60 a day. To make matters worse, according to this article from The Kyunghyang Shinmun, passengers using Line 9 services have been increasing on average by 2,700 people a day.

Metro 9 says that 20 extra more subway cars will be added next year in September with 50 more cars on order to meet passenger demand, but these won’t be ready until a year and a half later in 2017. The possibility of another 70 cars is also being investigated for the opening of stage 3.

Zaz965 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 07:18 PM   #130
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Too much time to being constructed:

Quote:
New transfer passageway links airport rail to Seoul metro

A new transfer passageway at Seoul Station connecting the Incheon Airport Railroad to Seoul’s Subway Line Nos. 1 and 4 is set to open on March 28.

The convenience offered by the new passageway will have the biggest impact on foreign tourists looking for a faster way to reach various attractions, according to railroad sources.

Until the passageway opens, passengers must walk up from the third underground floor to the second aboveground floor, and cross through the KTX waiting area to access the subway.

The new tunnel will connect the two train networks directly to minimize confusion. According to the Airport Railroad, it is expected to make transferring up to 10 minutes faster.

In addition, the new 304-meter passageway will also help travelers cut down on costs. Passengers will be able to take advantage of the discounts that apply to transfers between different subway lines in the city, provided they use a transfer-enabled metro pass.
Korea Herald
Old March 29th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #131
kramertron

Likes (Received): 7

Hurray for infinitely easier transfers at Seoul Station!
kramertron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 02:19 AM   #132
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5781

2015.03.28 - line 9 eastern extension opens

Eonju Station

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._141133947.JPG (Wikipedia user 안우석)

http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%ED%8C%..._142415246.JPG (Wikipedia user 안우석)

Seonjeongneung Station

http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%ED%8C%..._143401398.JPG (Wikipedia user 안우석)

Samseong Jungang Station

http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%ED%8C%..._144538418.JPG (Wikipedia user 안우석)

Bongeunsa Station

http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%ED%8C%..._150732105.JPG (Wikipedia user 안우석)

Sports Complex Station

http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%ED%8C%...mplexPlat1.JPG (Wikipedia user Miguemk231)
Old April 7th, 2015, 03:07 PM   #133
dimlys1994

Taken from Korean transport thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbough View Post
Seoul will increase bus and subway fares from June 2015.

(summarized from here)

The base bus fare will increase between 150 and 200 won and the base subway fare will increase from 200 to 300 won. Currently the base fare is 1,050 for bus and subway. Fares rise the farther distance you travel.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 16th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #134
dimlys1994

Two videos on Korail's projects in Seoul - as far as I understood, these videos are about Sosa–Wonsi and Bundang lines:

mrsmartman, Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 19th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #135
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Detailed information about the subway and bus fare increase here.

To summarize, everything is going up by about 25-30%.

Quote:
The New Fare Prices

The fare increase is different for each type of public transport: The Maeul buses become 100 KRW more expensive. The innercity buses are going to raise prices by 150 KRW. The yellow buses (which I see rarely driving around Seoul) are getting 250 KRW more expensive. Subway will be also raised by 250 KRW. The biggest increase will be for the Gyeonggi buses (the red ones) with 450 KRW. Percentage-wise the biggest change is for the yellow buses with 29.4%, followed by the red buses (24.3%), subway (23.8%), night buses (18.9%), inner-city buses (14.3%) and Maeul buses (13.3%).

The new fares are as follow:
Transportation Card (T-Money etc.)
Subway 1,300 KRW
Maeul-Bus (마을버스) 850 KRW
Yellow Buses (순환버스) 1,100 KRW
Inner-city Bus (Blue and Green Buses) 1,200 KRW
Red Buses (광역버스) 2,300 KRW

(*a single-trip ticket)
(I edited the chart to show adult prices using a card because 95% of trips are with a card.)

Quote:
Lately, there was also a discussion about the calculation of subsidies and expenses by the bus companies. Each bus company receives subsidies from the Seoul Metropolitan Government to cover their costs and have some profits. Some experts doubt that the calculation system is working well. It seems that the bus companies get more money than they should. The reason is that the subsidies are calculated by multiplying certain factors (the number of transported passengers, costs for drivers, repair costs etc.) but it doesn’t include the profits of the bus companies. They are able to make money through advertisement on vehicles, for example. Yet we won’t see a reform of the subsidy system.

Discount for early birds

Seoul’s fare system is going to become a little bit more flexible. If a transit user takes a bus before 6:30 am, then he will receive a 20% discount. The goal is to reduce the people during peak hours (morning rush hour).
The most interesting thing to me is the early discount. Many buses start at 4:00am. I rode a bus on a Saturday at 4:30am and it was already packed.

Zaz965 liked this post
goldbough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #136
Agim Pocesta
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Surprised in a postive way

Zaz965 liked this post
Agim Pocesta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:34 AM   #137
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

An interesting graphic of Line 4 express train times. showing that an express train skipping 7 stations saves about 7 minutes. The Line 4 express section from Ansan (안산) to Geumjeong (금정) skips 6 stations out of 11 saving 7 minutes. It certainly seems like you're saving a lot of time when you blow through stations but it's not too much. However, it is 27% faster. The rest of the line is all-stop.

The express doesn't cover any stops within Seoul; they are suburb stops.

Another graphic - The Line 9 express train is 45% faster than the all-stop train. It skips most stops and so is jam-packed with riders.

dimlys1994, Zaz965 liked this post
goldbough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:32 AM   #138
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
It certainly seems like you're saving a lot of time when you blow through stations but it's not too much. However, it is 27% faster. The rest of the line is all-stop.
AFAIK Line 4 has no provision for timed overtakes at stations, so there needs to be sufficient time separation between the all-stops and express trains. The express must maintain a speed with sufficient braking distance between it and the (local) train ahead, so speeds can't be too high.

Quote:
The Line 9 express train is 45% faster than the all-stop train. It skips most stops and so is jam-packed with riders.
In this case the line is built for express train operation, with passing loops at a number of stations. Looking at a current timetable, there is a 1:1 ratio between express and local trains during peak hours, an easy to comprehend timetable. Given that trains are only 4 cars though, you have that congestion- A Joongang Daily report in March stated that passenger loads approached 240% capacity during peak commuting hours.

Zaz965 liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #139
skyshakernowlive
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

How is a country such as Korea able to afford such expansion of metro, when developed countries struggle to fund a single line?

Is there anything special about your metro that other metros lack?

Zaz965 liked this post
skyshakernowlive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #140
_Night City Dream_

South Korea is a rich country indeed with not so tough burden of social expenses unlike European countries where people don't work much.

inno4321, Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
metro, seoul