daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 25th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #201
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Earth View Post
Frankfurt had at least thirty years of building a skyline while Moscow started their majesty in like 2002. So who do you think has a "head start" and fast progress?
not true. moscow started building skyscrapers in the 1950s. some of the most famous examples of skyscraper architecture are coming from the 50s and 60s. the latest buildings are just the new generation of highrise building in moscow.

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #202
the Ludovico center
Je Maintiendrai

Likes (Received): 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin.feroz View Post
exactly! that's one reason why i'm not that impressed with london although it boasts some of the most architecturally superior skyscrapers in Europe. I just think they don't complement the city as a whole. paris is a different story though, it has made a good cluster of skyscrapers without much negtive effects to its old historic architectures nearby. i just think that european cities do not need massive skylines, they're great without them...
That was the attitude in London until the eighties and nineties.

Once upon a time "London skyline" meant something. ONLY landmark buildings were synonymous with that concept .

I grew up with this "rising out of the river" logo appearing in various programs on my TV:

by poderes unidos

When I went to London for the first time THAT's what I wanted to see with my own eyes.

But alas, all these are completely gone from the horizon submerged into an ocean of glass and steel.

As a result, London skyline as a whole (not just buildings individually) is not iconic anymore

Last edited by the Ludovico center; June 25th, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
the Ludovico center no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #203
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ludovico center View Post
As a result, London skyline as a whole (not just buildings individually) is not iconic anymore
Disagree, Canary Wharf and The City skylines are some of the most recognizable and iconic skylines in Europe.
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #204
SO143
BANNED

Rotterdam

SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #205
dustin.feroz
muerto

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
Disagree, Canary Wharf and The City skylines are some of the most recognizable and iconic skylines in Europe.
maybe "iconic" isn't the right word for it... i think london's skyline is recognizable.. but not impressive! mainly because of ruining its old-world charm.
Old June 26th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #206
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
That was the attitude in London until the eighties and nineties.

Once upon a time "London skyline" meant something. ONLY landmark buildings were synonymous with that concept .

I grew up with this "rising out of the river" logo appearing in various programs on my TV:

by poderes unidos

When I went to London for the first time THAT's what I wanted to see with my own eyes.

But alas, all these are completely gone from the horizon submerged into an ocean of glass and steel.

Your "London skyline" is just St. Paul's cathedral. Only that. Insufficient for a city of that size. All other buildings that can be seen on the picture are only visible if you're standing on the riverbank or one of the bridges. They are not dominant from the great distance, and the point of "skyline" is that it's recognisable and impressive even many miles away.
Besides, even during Victorian Era, London was building the most modern buildings and used newest technologies in construction. Yes, the styles were "revival", but it was nevertheless contemporary architecture. So don't whine how London is destroying her urban fabric. London is going boldly forward, like she always did.
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #207
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6569

Stunning picture of Rotterdam!

I think the Rotterdam and Den Haag area is going to be so impressive in the future. You will be able to see the two nice skylines ver near each other.
Wapper no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #208
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin.feroz View Post
maybe "iconic" isn't the right word for it... i think london's skyline is recognizable.. but not impressive! mainly because of ruining its old-world charm.
First of all London is not Rome or Anthem. London is famous for it's classic + modern (mixed) architecture. Second of all being a financial centre of the world i reckon London should build much more high standard "quality" skyscrapers in it's financial districts in order to be seen as a genuine Alpha++ world city that plays a huge role on the global scale. ATM i find it's skyline sort of inferior in terms of both quantity and density. I am not saying London should be like Dubai or Shanghai but it still needs to construct more highrises in order to shape it's massive skyline. On the other hand, Frankfurt cluster looks fantastic but it needs supertalls. Paris has great density but they look rather short. Without a doubt Moscow skyline is so promising and has a lot of potential to dominate all the Europe's tallest buildings. Other cities such as Istanbul, Rotterdam, Warsaw, Milano etc are also working hard and some of them already have good looking skylines.
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #209
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

I agree with most of it except that Frankfurt needs supertalls. I would appreciate more 200+ towers to generate a higher density, mostly bewtween the messe quarter and the bankcluster. after that a spertall would fit perfectly but not now.
personally I guess that Frankfurt has got the scrapers with the highest quality in europe.
Pfeuffer no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #210
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27233

Quote:
On the other hand, Frankfurt cluster looks fantastic but it needs supertalls.
Placing a supertall in this cluster right now, would let frankfurts skyline look like a silly damaged circus-tent. No thank you.
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #211
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6569

Well then, let's build a few of those at the same time
Wapper no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #212
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji-Ja-Jot View Post
Placing a supertall in this cluster right now, would let frankfurts skyline look like a silly damaged circus-tent. No thank you.
You know you need to have one although you don't want, unless you got it you will still be seen as a little brother among big brothers
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #213
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27233

balderdash. I did not say No to supertalls at all. Frankfurt needs a basis for them. Its the best and most harmonic skyline in Europe and if it want to keep this title, it would be useless to run around like a scared chicken because London builds one and Paris talks about them for ... for how long is paris talkin now? 25 Years? Frankfurt needs a basis for Supertalls to keep it's skyline harmonic. And thats what Frankfurt has to work on now - and it works on it.

Last edited by Ji-Ja-Jot; June 26th, 2011 at 07:40 PM.
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #214
dustin.feroz
muerto

Quote:
First of all London is not Rome or Anthem. London is famous for it's classic + modern (mixed) architecture. Second of all being a financial centre of the world i reckon London should build much more high standard "quality" skyscrapers in it's financial districts in order to be seen as a genuine Alpha++ world city that plays a huge role on the global scale. ATM i find it's skyline sort of inferior in terms of both quantity and density. I am not saying London should be like Dubai or Shanghai but it still needs to construct more highrises in order to shape it's massive skyline. On the other hand, Frankfurt cluster looks fantastic but it needs supertalls. Paris has great density but they look rather short. Without a doubt Moscow skyline is so promising and has a lot of potential to dominate all the Europe's tallest buildings. Other cities such as Istanbul, Rotterdam, Warsaw, Milano etc are also working hard and some of them already have good looking skylines.
i'm not saying that london shouldn't build one. i mean it's their prerogative if they choose to. but (hopefully) with proper zoning. paris' skyscrapers aren't as high and architecturally wonderful, but the clustering made it look more attractive than london. IMO.

Last edited by dustin.feroz; June 27th, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
dustin.feroz no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #215
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
not true. moscow started building skyscrapers in the 1950s. some of the most famous examples of skyscraper architecture are coming from the 50s and 60s. the latest buildings are just the new generation of highrise building in moscow.
well I guess I was saying who started the modern era and how long it took them.
Los Earth no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #216
SO143
BANNED

Vienna

SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #217
Fabrega

Likes (Received): 148

Different angle of Madrid, a mix of the new with the old sckyscrapers the catedral and the royal palace.

pic by ferd
Fabrega no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #218
dustin.feroz
muerto

not actually the best, but i love it.
image hosted on flickr

Barcelona Skyline by David Chacobo, on Flickr
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #219
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

wow ! the Barcelona pic looks spectacular.
Pfeuffer no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #220
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Love the dominance of Sagrada Famlia in that picture
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
Омск, belgrade, frankfurt, hamburg, istanbul, italia, london, milan, milano, moscow, newcastle, paris, rotterdam, the hague, warsaw