daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #401
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27230

It seems, the London Skyline-Fanboys don't understand, that "don't like some towers Londons skyline" don't means hating the skyline or hating the whole city.
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #402
European1978
WARNED FOR BANNING

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOTHRILL View Post
I always thought Berlin was rebuilt as a bit of a postmodern nightmare? Very unsympathetic towards architectural aesthetics...
Berlin, Berlin:
As an italian from Milan, who lived there and now in Barcelona - I would like to go back to live there - it is more difficult to earn good money there - but I am saving to be back there - not because of the business, but because Berlin it's really special. Maybe it is not easy to understand for someone from England because IMO England has a very different view on the European Union than most of us - but for me, Berlin is the very symbol of the change between the past Europe and the present Europe - and the Brandenburg gate represents the opening of the continental doors - the end of the borders and a very new beginning. Berlin is not as beautiful as Rome or Paris, Berlin is a difficult city to appreciate, but if you go under the surface you fall in love with it. I lived there, I moved to sunnier Barcelona and have a much better paid job here and the beach. Still I am saving to move back in a couple of years. It makes no sense to post tons of pictures of Berlin (especially because this is a skyline thread and we are OoT already - even Milan's skyline is more developed than the one of Berlin one nowadays) - to understand the beauty of Berlin, the greenest city (maybe with Stockholm) in the EU, the one with the coziest cafes (In Paris they are so expensive that the coziness is lost when one sees the bill) the only city where you can see 2 cities together - it's hard to describe. People who go there and scratches the surfaces want to go back (maybe some not, but I don't know any so far) Berlin is not a skyline city, but still Frankfurt loses to my eyes when I think Berlin.

Again this is a skyline thread, and as another forumer mentioned, if one says London has a lesser skyline than Frankfurt, it does not mean that we don't like London - in fact I did love London and I lived 7 years there for a reason, and I left also because I was very much put off by the anti-continental mentality and I-do-it-always-better than the others. From my nickname you can probably understand that a pro EU person is not very in place in the UK and Berlin is most likely the place to be for me. But yes, London has a better skyline than Berlin - if skyline means cluster of towers, and if a cluster of towers is nowadays the only way to define a skyline of a city, almost deleting the signs of the past, like my Saint Paul Cathedral example I mentioned earlier.
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #403
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 59972

London -

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #404
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

@European1978

many americans I met told me, that Berlin is the only European City which comes close to New York - of course not in terms of its non existant skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by European1978 View Post
Again this is a skyline thread, and as another forumer mentioned, if one says London has a lesser skyline than Frankfurt, it does not mean that we don't like London -
+1
I am every time surprised, when you mention not liking only one building there, people think I would hate the city. Not to mention my second sentence after bashing the gerkin was admiring bioshopsgate Tower.
BTW: bashing against single people after that, happens only with London over and over again. The reason for this strange effect would be worth a new thread
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #405
WooWoo

Likes (Received): 0

Tbf you haven't really just insulted London's skyline have you?

And I am not a "London Skyline-Fanboy" as I previously stated, Paris is my favourite skyline and I think London needs more towers in order to claim the 'top prize'

And I'm definately not "Pro-London" all the time, I don't even live in London, and I do like Frankfurt's skyline, and I really the Deutsche Bank twin towers, I hope that something like that will be built in London, or England sometime soon
WooWoo no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #406
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

I think Londoners should just sit tight and bitch slap these ho's when everything is built because then it will truly whoop their buttocks!
Ecological no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #407
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1948

Thankyou European1978- I agree with what you say- there is a lot of anti European sentiment in Britain, especially in areas of low employment. And man, Berlin sounds great, perhaps I'll go there for a pissup with a few friends sometime soon, if the party scene is as good as people say

And I am not a London fanboy... I actually plan on leaving London for Toronto, but that is a different story.
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #408
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji-Ja-Jot View Post
@European1978

many americans I met told me, that Berlin is the only European City which comes close to New York - of course not in terms of its non existant skyline.
Interested to hear why?
Old July 15th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #409
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 10992

Quote:
Interested to hear why?
I second
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #410
il fenomeno
♥ helfen statt hetzen ♥

Likes (Received): 22414

comparing berlin and new york is... mmh odd.
il fenomeno no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #411
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Quote:
Interested to hear why?
I know why, but I will not hold you back to inform the rest.

Quote:

And I am not a London fanboy... I actually plan on leaving London for Toronto, but that is a different story.
So why do you act as if I had insult you, when I said I would not like the gerkin?
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #412
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Because you said something out of malice, it wasn't genuine critisism. To call the gherkin, a cheap little bitch at a road side is BLATENT trolling- designed to offend. You did it on purpose, dont play innocent.

And why- go on, enlighten us all on why the german capital (incidentally the capital of your nation - strange) is so much better than other eurocities to the extent that only it can be compared to NY. Tell us if you are so certain.
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #413
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Quote:
Because you said something out of malice, it wasn't genuine critisism. To call the gherkin, a cheap little bitch at a road side is BLATENT trolling- designed to offend. You did it on purpose, dont play innocent.
I am not the cause of your complexes, so I am totally innocent.

Quote:
And why- go on, enlighten us all on why the german capital (incidentally the capital of your nation - strange) is so much better than other eurocities to the extent that only it can be compared to NY. Tell us if you are so certain.
You claimed frist you would know it, one user asked you to inform us. Now you abscond. Again, by the way.

Last edited by Ji-Ja-Jot; July 15th, 2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #414
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:

What about you do as the subline under your username says?
Your posts are just as offending and provoking as you accuse other ones to be.
Tiaren no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #415
WooWoo

Quote:
I am not the cause of your complexes, so I am totally innocent.

You claimed frist you would know it, one user asked you to inform us. Now you abscond. Again, by the way.
You're aggravating most people on this thread.

And no he didn't, he asked why

"Interested to hear why?"

Quote:
Your posts are just as offending and provoking as you accuse other ones to be.
Well when he calls a skyscraper in Frankfurt a cheap bitch at the roadside, I will agree with what you're saying
WooWoo no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #416
dustin.feroz
muerto

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
not one city in europe is comparable to NYC, in my opinion. walking down the streets of New York feels like walking in the streets of the "capital" of the world.

European cities, on the other hand, have a distinct charm of their own! I personally like Paris, Barcelona and Amsterdam. But since this is a "Skyline Thread" I should give the credits where the credit is due! and that is:

1. Paris - nice well-balanced cluster. although it lacks height and small for a
major european skyline, the arrangement of the buildings make it really
visually attractive.

2. Frankfurt - nice cluster, + height, + architecture. very promising.

3. London - + architecture, + height, some clusters seem out of place. if they continue
to build just about everywhere, it will end up like bangkok, a skyline as
far as the eye can see, which i don't think is right for this lovely european city!

4. Benidorm - I used to have this at number one, but yeah, I realized that it takes more
than density to keep one appreciating it. but still, it commands respect and
admiration!

5. Barcelona - Just looks amazing.
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #417
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

Quote:

I would`t compare Berlin to NYC cause living in Berlin is much better IMHO.
it is cheaper, more laid back and diverse. I also would prefer living in Rome, Athens,
Barcelona, Dubrovnik, Vienna, SanFran, Munich and Amsterdam than NYC.
Pfeuffer no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #418
WooWoo

You have lived in all these places?!

And there is no "capital of the world"
WooWoo no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #419
dustin.feroz
muerto

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooWoo View Post
You have lived in all these places?!

And there is no "capital of the world"
(are you referring to my post?) you shouldn't be taking that literally.
an eighth grader who is fond of culture and geography would understand what i meant!
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #420
WooWoo

8th grader?

I was just simply stating that no city can be like the capital of the world
WooWoo no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
Омск, belgrade, frankfurt, hamburg, istanbul, italia, london, milan, milano, moscow, newcastle, paris, rotterdam, the hague, warsaw