daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 21st, 2011, 12:04 AM   #41
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

excellent pics of London
Pfeuffer no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2011, 03:27 AM   #42
Pfeuffer
BANNED

old pic of Frankfurt bu still nice

[IMG]http://i56.************/2zs1u9z.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 21st, 2011, 03:33 AM   #43
Pfeuffer
BANNED

without T185 that tpped out already

[IMG]http://i53.************/20sa7gh.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 21st, 2011, 09:29 AM   #44
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

Likes (Received): 412

Frankfurt
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:41 PM   #45
Brad
voyageur

Likes (Received): 4152

Viktor-BAD

rkspaz
Brad no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:27 AM   #46
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 905

Frankfurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by elculo View Post
Auch hübsch (von der Seite Nextower.com)

by kuegi http://www.******************/pc/acco...rofile/1297029
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:38 PM   #47
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8687

Frankfurt followed by Paris.
KingNick no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:51 PM   #48
Eduardo L. Ramirez

My current Top 10 (my ~2009 rating in brackets - standart 10: current NY)

1- Frankfurt 8.64 (8.43) +2.1
2- London 8.46 (8.09) +3.7
3- Paris 8.25 (8.06) +1.9
4- Moscow 8.05 (7.45) +6.0
5- Rotterdam 7.79 (7.57) +2.2
6- Warsaw 7.68 (7.52) +1.6
7- Istanbul 7.58 (7.21) +3.6
8- Madrid 7.23 (7.14) +0.9
9- Benidorm 7.02 (6.89) +1.3
10- The Hague 6.83 (6.53) +3.0
- Liverpool 6.81 (6.73) +0.8
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:08 AM   #49
the Ludovico center
Je Maintiendrai

Likes (Received): 388

^ ^ ^ ^Too many night pictures in this thread Clearly posted in order to create a fake illusion of nonexistent continuity in the skylines

Another con-job: the building height cuttofs used to count the # of highrises. Both the 90m cuttoffs and the 150m cutoffs used in this thread in order to assert the alleged number of skyscrapers in a city are arbitrary and therefore inherently biased. Until there comes a cut-off consensus we should just stick to the "roundest" cuttoff figures and do the countings (i.e. the only legit cutoffs are either 100 meters or 200 or 300... etc) anything other than that is dishonest.

As to the core issue: since everyone has their own criteria to determine the "best skyline" I have mine too: The best skyline is the one that has skyscrapers dominating EVERY part of the city center and possibly even beyond. Skyscrapers must be THE dominant aspect of the city: looming and casting their shadow across ALL corners of the main area of town. None of that "indian reservation" zone of skyscrapers confined and constrained and tucked into some little corner like a red light district (as if scrapers are perverted and something to be ashamed of) shoved away from the "real" heart of town where everyone hangs out, like a shopping mall playground where children and animals are "dropped" before commencing the real activity of shopping.

So based on this superior philosophy of the best skyline being the free-est and the most CONTINUOUS one, the overwhelming winners are:

1, Benidorm
2, Rotterdam

The rest of Europe is not even close, not even anywhere near these two REAL scraper-cities!

Last edited by the Ludovico center; May 23rd, 2011 at 01:21 AM.
the Ludovico center está en línea ahora  
Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:15 AM   #50
Pfeuffer
BANNED

what do you want to say ? Benidorm got a better skyline than Frankfurt ? LOL
Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:24 AM   #51
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1696

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ludovico center View Post
^ ^ ^ ^Too many night pictures in this thread Clearly posted in order to create a fake illusion of nonexistent continuity in the skylines

Another con-job: the building height cuttofs used to count the # of highrises. Both the 90m cuttoffs and the 150m cutoffs used in this thread in order to assert the alleged number of skyscrapers in a city are arbitrary and therefore inherently biased. Until there comes a cut-off consensus we should just stick to the "roundest" cuttoff figures and do the countings (i.e. the only legit cutoffs are either 100 meters or 200 or 300... etc) anything other than that is dishonest.

As to the core issue: since everyone has their own criteria to determine the "best skyline" I have mine too: The best skyline is the one that has skyscrapers dominating EVERY part of the city center and possibly even beyond. Skyscrapers must be THE dominant aspect of the city: looming and casting their shadow across ALL corners of the main area of town. None of that "indian reservation" zone of skyscrapers confined and constrained and tucked into some little corner like a red light district (as if scrapers are perverted and something to be ashamed of) shoved away from the "real" heart of town where everyone hangs out, like a shopping mall playground where children and animals are "dropped" before commencing the real activity of shopping.

So based on this superior philosophy of the best skyline being the free-est and the most CONTINUOUS one, the overwhelming winners are:

1, Benidorm
2, Rotterdam

The rest of Europe is not even close, not even anywhere near these two REAL scraper-cities!

I think the first picture is Balneario Camboriu in Brazil, and I agree with your opinion, but maybe we could say one thing is the best "skyline" (just how the city looks from far), or wich one is the most "skyscraper-city", for me, the last one are the most impressive as a skyscraper fan, because you feel there could be new tall projects anywhere in the city, and you can easily live in a tall building, as example, I'm planning to do a 2 day trip to Benidorm, I'm looking for a cheap hotel and well located, and the best option is in a 25 floor building, how many chances do you have to stay in such a tall building in other cities in Europe? also, there are two forumers from Benidorm, one lives in a 43 floor building, and the other one in a 23 floor building. I love Benidorm and Rotterdam for that, but also London is building towers everywhere in the city, not like Madrid, wich 4 towers are far from the city center.
This is a real picture of Benidorm, not that one from Brazil:
[IMG]http://i55.************/8y6yyb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.************/2ekokeg.jpg[/IMG]
Victhor no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:34 AM   #52
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

^ I am really fall in love with 2nd picture, Victhor. Benidorm's density is just so incredible especially for a European city
SO143 no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:04 AM   #53
WooWoo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeuffer View Post
what do you want to say ? Benidorm got a better skyline than Frankfurt ? LOL
Its his own opinion, let him have it.

Benidorm does have a bigger and denser skyline than Frankfurt, but Frankfurt does have better quality skyscrapers, for me anyway.
WooWoo no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM   #54
Pfeuffer
BANNED

a pic tells more than a thousand words
[IMG]http://i52.************/epq8tk.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:38 PM   #55
Eduardo L. Ramirez

F F M

image hosted on flickr

IMG_8395.jpg by pedaone, on Flickr
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:47 PM   #56
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

^ Great shot, i like the colour and composition as well, the train front of the skyline makes a better picture. It reminds me of Toronto in some ways

At the moment i am really looking forward to seeing more amazing shots from Moscow

Last edited by SO143; May 24th, 2011 at 01:04 AM.
SO143 no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2011, 04:05 AM   #57
werner10

Likes (Received): 831

rotterdam

by *****************
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #58
soloveich
Збагойный Ватнег

Likes (Received): 7345

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ludovico center View Post

1, Benidorm
2, Rotterdam

Benidrom looks like some neighborhood on outskirts of Moscow
soloveich no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #59
Eduardo L. Ramirez

^ Can you show a pic of one of those? Despite the fact that Moscow's main cluster looks far more impressive than Benidorm's skyline IMO, which outskirts of Moscow would that be with a density and size similar to Benidorm?
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #60
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1696

I know there are a lot of very tall residential buildings in Moscow, but I think they are spred on a very large area, in Benidorm they are all together in a small area, also have in mind that you are comparing a city with a population over 10 millions with another one under 100 thousand, that's less than 1% the population of Moscow.
By the way, I have seen in this thread some figures of number of skyscrapers over xxx metres per city, but there are no figures for Moscow, it should be on top of those rankings.
Victhor no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
Омск, belgrade, frankfurt, hamburg, istanbul, italia, london, milan, milano, moscow, newcastle, paris, rotterdam, the hague, warsaw