daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 13th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #121
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4158

La Défense, Paris. It's the most beautiful skyline in Europe for me:

image hosted on flickr

La défense por Eivisso, no Flickr
Cauê no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #122
the Ludovico center
Je Maintiendrai

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odoaker View Post
European skylines are a joke. If any, maybe Moscow could "take the cake" in the future.
Wrong.

You kinda forgot that skyline means skyline, not skyscraper.

So in that sense Europe is actually pretty impressive, and cities like Paris and Frankfurt... etc DO have magnificent skyline since the word skyline means everything that is lined up under the horizon (not just the tall buildings but also the other structures like old church towers and belforts and rivers and the sea and the mountain backdrop... everything!
the Ludovico center está en línea ahora  
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #123
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Of course Paris is a beautiful city and that's it but Moscow is booming and all the Europe's supertalls are being built there. It has a lot of potential and its future projects are also very promising. Frankfurt skyline is great one of the best in Europe but it is kind of a dead-skyline unlike Istanbul, London, Moscow. Paris also has supertall projects and i hope that dream will come true.

Last edited by SO143; June 13th, 2011 at 09:41 PM.
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #124
ultEmate
ульт

Likes (Received): 26000

Moscow.

ultEmate no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #125
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
Of course Paris is a beautiful city and that's it but Moscow is booming and all the Europe's supertalls are being built there. It has a lot of potential and its future projects are also very promising. Frankfurt skyline is great one of the best in Europe but it is kind of a dead-skyline unlike Istanbul, London, Moscow. Paris also has supertall projects and i hope that dream will come true.
Frankfurts skyline is not dead , it is expanding slowly but surely,
also all buildings get renovation or recladding regularly. next year the
taunusturm will rise in the main cluster
Pfeuffer no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #126
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeuffer View Post
next year the taunusturm will rise in the main cluster
I can't wait

Here is a poor snap of Madrid skyline, taken an hour ago

SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #127
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeuffer View Post
Frankfurts skyline is not dead , it is expanding slowly but surely,
also all buildings get renovation or recladding regularly. next year the
taunusturm will rise in the main cluster
Link to a thread about that tower?
Victhor no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #128
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

deleted...

Last edited by Tiaren; June 14th, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #129
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 905

Are you guys being serious?
Frankfurt is one of the European cities with most tall towers coming up currently.

A few examples >150m height:

- Urban Entertainment Center (UEC) including:
Skyline Plaza Tower (212m, App), another office tower (160m, App) and Skyline Plaza Shopping center (U/C)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=480449&page=9

- Tower 185 (200m, T/O)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...505636&page=53

- European Central Bank Twin Towers (185m each, U/C)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...185988&page=20

- Taunusturm (170m, U/C)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...521026&page=14

Not to speak of several other towers >100m to be u/c soon and completely excluding the proposed Tower 365 (350m).
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #130
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

In the last two years a 200m tower, a 170m tower, a 135m and a 100m tower were built in Frankfurt. Right now under construction is a 185m tower and another 170m tower...yeah, sounds really like a dead skyline to me...

SO143 is just ignorant about Frankfurt...
Tiaren no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #131
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10781

I wouldn't call Frankfurt dead, but it's not exactly a hive of construction either. Frankfurt looks fabulous is some shots, and surprisingly sparse in others.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #132
dustin.feroz
muerto

Likes (Received): 39

the thing about european skylines is that they all lack density that's why they look great in some vantage points and not on others... and oh, we do not gauge a skyline by the number of proposed buildings in it, i mean, like, 50 proposed supertalls in madrid doesn't make it any better than frankfurt, london or moscow at its current state!

for now, i believe it's a battle between benidorm, frankfurt, london, paris and moscow...
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #133
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 40

I'm sure I'll take some flak for this, but as an outside, objective viewer, having seen dozens of photos of Moscow, London, La Defense, Frankfurt, Rotterdam, etc, I have to mention a city that has yet to be brought up in this thread. My favorite European skyline is . . .

Monaco. It's a beautiful, warm blend of nature and man. You can feel the Mediterranean climate just looking at its skyline (or, rather, two lines: the line of the condos in front of the mountains) from the marina. I think it's one of the most fantastic looking places on Earth.
Old June 15th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #134
dustin.feroz
muerto

although skyline-wise i'd say monaco is down in my list, i agree with your general concept of its beauty!
Old June 15th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #135
dustin.feroz
muerto

well, personally, i'd rather have european cities like london and paris not build too big a skyline to preserve their old-world charm! they could be new and modern inside, but i like them to stay "old outside".
Old June 15th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #136
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
In the last two years a 200m tower, a 170m tower, a 135m and a 100m tower were built in Frankfurt.
I can't believe you even mentioned 100m building lol

Istanbul has 71 and Paris has about 76 buildings that are 100m+ if i also would like to state that

Quote:
Right now under construction is a 185m tower and another 170m tower...yeah, sounds really like a dead skyline to me...
Only 2? Right, London currently has 11 quality skyscrapers U/C including one EU tallest tower and another 45 skyscrapers are approved and these constructions will start by 2012-2013 plus there are 25 towers that are proposed. On the other hand, 35 buildings are U/C in Istanbul. And we all know that no EU cities can compete with Moscow in terms of the number of supertalls and height. So you better not boast about 100m highrise

Quote:
SO143 is just ignorant about Frankfurt...
Never ever insult at any SSC member young man and you better stay focus on the discussion about skyline/skyscrapers. I made a proper research before i created this thread and i know which city has incredible potential to dominate Europe's best skyline in the future. Saying this city's skyline is the most beautiful that city's skyline is bla bla is just a matter of personal taste and it can be understandable as well. Any personal opinions about skyline are welcomed too except personal insult. Have fun ok
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #137
Stratosphere 2020

Likes (Received): 4045

Rotterdam skyline at distance from the city of The Hague

Old June 15th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #138
Eduardo L. Ramirez

The Frankfurt skyscraper development has a major advantage though compared to that of those full-bodied other ones: the towers are actually really getting built (in time) and don't show up like 20 years later or become "on hold" and stuff like that as it seems to be with many of those megalomanic Dubai-copying cities...
S.th. like 2 new tall towers a year isn't bad for a European city, at least better than 60 "approved" towers that don't get built at all (or in a period of 30 years = 2 a year). It's always very speculative to talk about the future, though. In recent times (2009-today) the following number of buildings >100m has been built (or at least become T/O; with the exception of the Shard in London which I counted here although it is not finished or T/O yet):
Moscow 11
London 5 (4 without the Shard)
Frankfurt 4
Rotterdam 3
Paris 1
Warsaw (none)
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #139
SO143
BANNED

^ Yeah from 2009 - today

List of newest buildings by date

Moscow - 8 (without Mercury and Federation Supertall Towers)

London - 6 (without the Shard, Orbit Tower, St George Wharf tower, and The Heron)

Frankfurt - 2

Paris - 1

Last edited by SO143; June 15th, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
SO143 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #140
Eduardo L. Ramirez

^ That list is incomplete or too old. Where are Tower 185 (200m; T/O) and Jumeirah Frankfurt (100m)? For Moscow I also miss some buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
London - 6 (without the Shard, Orbit Tower, St George Wharf tower, and The Heron)
Ok, but the Heron is listed there and St George Wharf tower is far from being T/O, isn't it?

I've got the infos from here:
http://skyscraperpage.com/

But I think it is incomplete too since it doesn't include the "Royal Londen Hospital Tower 2" (nice building actually!) as well as that "Pioneer Point North, Ilford". Thanks for the info

Last edited by Eduardo L. Ramirez; June 15th, 2011 at 10:41 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
Омск, belgrade, frankfurt, hamburg, istanbul, italia, london, milan, milano, moscow, newcastle, paris, rotterdam, the hague, warsaw