daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:08 AM   #281
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Seriously? Any pic or Street View link?
If I remember well, Chriszwolle once mentioned a sign pointing to Rome near the Swiss border. I'd like to see it as well.

Anyway, A10 near Genoa
France is a non-neighboring country? ;-)

GROBIN liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2015, 11:47 AM   #282
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2090

Quote:
I drive that route quite often but noticed those signs only recently. Next time I'll try and take some pics.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 11:56 AM   #283
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Bitch please
I already forgot this sign! I remember discovering that my hometown is closer to that sign than Trapani. Anyway, I believe no one is driving from this point all the way to Beijing, though.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:17 PM   #284
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
France is a non-neighboring country? ;-)
Sorry for the OT, it was just to show another very long distance sign in Italy, like it could be Alessandria - Zagreb. This kind of signage is very rare in Italy.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Penn's Woods liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 04:11 AM   #285
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Sign for Thessaloniki on A1 near Nis in Serbia:
https://www.google.rs/maps/@43.37023...i26T3x0O7Q!2e0
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 01:46 PM   #286
michau88

Likes (Received): 50

I suppose that picture doesn't count officialy, because the sign was put only temporarily?

A2 (Highway of Freedom) showing Lisbon.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 03:42 PM   #287
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Slightly OT, but what's normally signed from Warsaw on the A2? Poznań?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 04:52 PM   #288
Maciek_CK
Great Scott!

Likes (Received): 1026

Konin, Poznań, Świecko, (Łódź). Further west Świecko, Berlin, (Zielona Góra), (Gorzów Wielkopolski).
Old January 3rd, 2015, 07:11 PM   #289
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Anyway, A10 near Genoa
This is silly in so many ways...

If going to Paris through Marseille, Paris isn't signposted until Lyon bypass. Second, the shortest route from Genova to Paris goes through Mt Blanc (saving over 100 km) and from Savona to Paris through Frejus.

But judging from the kilometres shown (111 to the border) this picture is taken with Savona already passed and so those driving to Paris never see this sign in the first place... except maybe those banned from Mt Blanc and Frejus.

Quote:
Bitch please
... no comment.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 07:55 PM   #290
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

You quote the motherf*cker complete with picture (which is discouraged here) and then you write no comment?

volodaaaa liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 09:33 PM   #291
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

We are having a day, aren't we?

x-type liked this post
Old January 3rd, 2015, 09:54 PM   #292
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

The route number E1 says it all on the first sign. This stretch of road is part of the pre-1985 E1, which ran Rome-Genova-Orange-Lyon-Paris-Le Havre-Southampton-London. The sign was these focal points was probably first placed in a completely different era, and the owner of the road has chosen not to change the sign notwithstanding the fact that this E1 is a rather distant memory.

I'm not sure whether this coastal route has ever been the quicker route to Paris in comparison with the Alpine tunnels. It might have been in the early days of the 1950 Declaration of Geneva, before opening of the Mont Blanc Tunnel (let alone Frejus). Probably for a further while after opening too, as the tunnels did not have any motorway/expressway connection.
Old January 4th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #293
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
The route number E1 says it all on the first sign. This stretch of road is part of the pre-1985 E1, which ran Rome-Genova-Orange-Lyon-Paris-Le Havre-Southampton-London. The sign was these focal points was probably first placed in a completely different era, and the owner of the road has chosen not to change the sign notwithstanding the fact that this E1 is a rather distant memory.

I'm not sure whether this coastal route has ever been the quicker route to Paris in comparison with the Alpine tunnels. It might have been in the early days of the 1950 Declaration of Geneva, before opening of the Mont Blanc Tunnel (let alone Frejus). Probably for a further while after opening too, as the tunnels did not have any motorway/expressway connection.
That sign certainly isn't from the 1950s, as we started to use that font and the green color in 1969. It would make more sense to signpost Barcelona instead of Paris there.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

GROBIN liked this post
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:34 AM   #294
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Sure enough. This looks like a retroflective sign and I'd be surprised if it was older than 15 years. But this stretch of A10 opened in 1969 and this sign will have had predecessors also referring to Paris.

During all those years, there would have been many opportunities to update the content of this sign to reflect current reality that there are quicker routes to Paris and that a long distance focal on the E80 (e.g. Barcelona) might be more appropriate after E1 was replaced by E80. But that's not how things always work. A sign showing that your road heads to Paris looks kind-of cool, cooler than Barcelona. Possibly this type of message even provides some goodwill locally. So it wasn't replaced or updated.

Last edited by -Pino-; January 4th, 2015 at 01:34 PM.
-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2016, 07:10 PM   #295
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Not really a road, but still interesting: This sign is located near the tripoint NL-BE-DE. The sign is on the German side and the leftmost sign contains 3 destinations, all of them in another country: Vaals is in the Netherlands, Aachen in Germany and Gemmenich in Belgium.

The path to Gemmenich in Belgium however is not directly from Germany to Belgium but goes via Dutch territory.

Attus, Stavros86, SRC_100 liked this post

Last edited by Palance; December 19th, 2016 at 08:50 PM.
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #296
VanderLoo

Likes (Received): 21

Sign for Tirana and Shkodra ( AL ) on R7 near Prizren in Kosovo

nick.english.dept liked this post

Last edited by VanderLoo; September 10th, 2017 at 09:17 PM.
VanderLoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #297
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Hi - This thread is for non-neighbouring countries. There's another thread for neighbouring countries.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 27th, 2017, 08:10 PM   #298
nantro litro
co' fave e pecorino

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I don't know if this was already posted, but on Italian A21 near Alessandria there are a couple of distance signs showing Zagreb (signposted as the Italian exonym, Zagabria).
Nearly three years have passed since the above request was asked: time to satisfy it (better late than never)
https://www.google.it/maps/@44.91914...7i13312!8i6656

italystf liked this post
nantro litro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 08:25 PM   #299
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nantro litro View Post
Nearly three years have passed since the above request was asked: time to satisfy it (better late than never)
https://www.google.it/maps/@44.91914...7i13312!8i6656
I honestly don't see the point. I think Trieste would be enough here. Not even near Slovenian border we have signs to Zagreb, only Ljubljana.
And signposting the exact distance to the junction (raccordo) with A1 and A4 doesn't make sense either.

nantro litro liked this post
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:26 PM   #300
nantro litro
co' fave e pecorino

Likes (Received): 101

Yes, I agree with you.
You don't see the point? Neither do I.
Maybe because there's none

I would also have omitted Rome
nantro litro no está en línea   Reply With Quote