daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #161
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
In the thread of distant plates, you can see some trucks from Kyrgyzstan spotted in Hamburg by a forumer. To see them in Italy is difficult, it's not an usual route for them as it is for iranian trucks. For example in Cascina Gobba rest area on Tangenziale Est Milano you can see iranian trucks every week-end.
Once I saw Iranian trucks on the Hungarian M7 motorway towards Slovenia, but I've never seen an Iranian license plate in Slovenia itself.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #162
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Once I saw Iranian trucks on the Hungarian M7 motorway towards Slovenia, but I've never seen an Iranian license plate in Slovenia itself.
In Cascina Gobba Iran is one of the most common plate. It would be a perfect place for my hobby if only it wouldn't be the center of smuggling and other activities in the limits of legality, so not recommended to use the camera there. In Trieste you have good possibilities to see them due Ro-Ro coming from Istanbul, but probabily once there they travel towards Milan on A4 instead of Slovenia. I have never seen one outside highway though, so I have no idea which is their usual destination. My friend in time to time spots them near Zürich, so I suppose they go towards ports as well
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #163
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
In Cascina Gobba Iran is one of the most common plate. It would be a perfect place for my hobby if only it wouldn't be the center of smuggling and other activities in the limits of legality, so not recommended to use the camera there. In Trieste you have good possibilities to see them due Ro-Ro coming from Istanbul, but probabily once there they travel towards Milan on A4 instead of Slovenia. I have never seen one outside highway though, so I have no idea which is their usual destination. My friend in time to time spots them near Zürich, so I suppose they go towards ports as well
Yes, trucks from Istanbul are everyday sight in Trieste port and on A4 Venice - Trieste. Occasionally also trucks from other Turkish provinces can be spotted. I saw also two trucks from Cyprus (the EU republic). I once saw a truck with trailer that had a yellow plate with numbers only. It was dark and I was driving fast to see well but it was probably from Algeria.
In Monfalcone station I saw a freight train loaded with trucks. Some were Turkish (34=Istanbul), other Russians (177=Moscow) and some Germans with temporary export plate (with red band).

About camera, I never use it to photograph any vehicle (except if it's an exibition of historical vehicles or if a vehicle is parked in a historical centre where I'm likely to photograph monuments). Just take discretely your smartphone out of your pocket, simulate a phone call or a SMS and take a pic quickly. While it's not illegal to photograph vehicles, some people can become furious because they feel their privacy violated. And especially if you're alone in an isolated place, you probably don't want to mess up with unknown people.
And if you find yourself in an accident\crime scene with police around, NEVER take ANY pic, otherwise you might be detained and questioned for some minutes. Unfortunately, I know it personally...

Last edited by italystf; April 26th, 2013 at 07:18 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #164
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
About camera, I never use it to photograph any vehicle (except if it's an exibition of historical vehicles or if a vehicle is parked in a historical centre where I'm likely to photograph monuments). Just take discretely your smartphone out of your pocket, simulate a phone call or a SMS and take a pic quickly. While it's not illegal to photograph vehicles, some people can become furious because they feel their privacy violated. And especially if you're alone in an isolated place, you probably don't want to mess up with unknown people.
And if you find yourself in an accident\crime scene with police around, NEVER take ANY pic, otherwise you might be detained and questioned for some minutes. Unfortunately, I know it personally...
If I have to do something I do it well or I don't do at all. So I never use phone to take pics, it sucks... I use my camera to take close-up with high resolution (I hate pics taken from distance or showing the whole vehicle...). In my years of activity I learnt when the situation is good to take a pic or not, so I could take good pics even in Cascina Gobba like this one:

It's good if you search adrenaline too, but in general even the few times I've been caught I never had troubles and I had to delete pic just once (on almost 10.000 pics I took). It's just a feeling that you can have trouble if caught rather than a certainty. And the risk is different accodring to the owner's origin and the type of the vehicle. Trucks are the most problematic to take pics, cause you don't know what they are carrying and drivers are responsable for the load. So they watch with suspect anybody walking near their trucks also due high robbery rate about trucks on roads. Diplomatic plates instead are in general the easiest to take pics, cause even if caught you can explain why you took and it's very difficult you find a diplomatic man who reacts bad. It wouldn't be his job otherwise. In general when people sees you take a pic yes, is very suspectful cause most of people don't understand why you do, but when you explain them it's a hobby, you tell them infos about the plate (codes, series, colors, etc..) they relax and maybe start to chill or ask you informations if they are tourists. At least in this part of the world... in other parts people get insane even if they see you carrying a camera...I know guys who have been detained in Sudan, Yemen and places like these for to have taken pics of plates it's annoying but in the end they all returned back home cause it's not a crime in any part of the world. Just an unusual hobby.

Sorry for the offtopic
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #165
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Road sign for Vienna and Prague in Satu Mare, Romania:

http://goo.gl/maps/B2tNA
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #166
Verso
Islander

European Union 0 km
Old April 27th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #167
italystf

Quote:
If I have to do something I do it well or I don't do at all. So I never use phone to take pics, it sucks... I use my camera to take close-up with high resolution (I hate pics taken from distance or showing the whole vehicle...). In my years of activity I learnt when the situation is good to take a pic or not, so I could take good pics even in Cascina Gobba like this one:
It's good if you search adrenaline too, but in general even the few times I've been caught I never had troubles and I had to delete pic just once (on almost 10.000 pics I took). It's just a feeling that you can have trouble if caught rather than a certainty. And the risk is different accodring to the owner's origin and the type of the vehicle. Trucks are the most problematic to take pics, cause you don't know what they are carrying and drivers are responsable for the load. So they watch with suspect anybody walking near their trucks also due high robbery rate about trucks on roads. Diplomatic plates instead are in general the easiest to take pics, cause even if caught you can explain why you took and it's very difficult you find a diplomatic man who reacts bad. It wouldn't be his job otherwise. In general when people sees you take a pic yes, is very suspectful cause most of people don't understand why you do, but when you explain them it's a hobby, you tell them infos about the plate (codes, series, colors, etc..) they relax and maybe start to chill or ask you informations if they are tourists. At least in this part of the world... in other parts people get insane even if they see you carrying a camera...I know guys who have been detained in Sudan, Yemen and places like these for to have taken pics of plates it's annoying but in the end they all returned back home cause it's not a crime in any part of the world. Just an unusual hobby.

Sorry for the offtopic
Yes, but I don't photograph vehicles just for plates. I also photograph unusual cars such sport cars, expensive cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini or Hummer, classic cars (30+ years old), elaborated cars, abandoned cars with no plates or missing parts, cars parked in weird locations,... In this case I need the pic of the whole vehicle. And my new phone with 8 megapixel cam works better for this, especially from a short distance.
Usually people who own unusual or historical vehicles are used to receive looks and pics, especially if they're parked in a public place and there shouldn't be problems. But if you photograph a car that is abandoned on the street (this is illegal), or parked in an illegal spot, then things might be different. If, even worse, you take a pic on a car parked inside a fenced private backyard, you may be mistaken for a thief (if the owner is honest) or for a police collaborator (if the owner has something to hide).

In Western countries you can legally photograph almost everything that is public or visible from a public place (and where's forbidden, like military areas, some museums, etc.... there are explicit signs), but everybody may restrict taking people inside their propertry. In other countries, where there are dictatorial regimes, no freedom of information and political instability that includes guerrilla, terrorism, clan conflicts, you should be more careful. The most extreme is obviously North Korea, where you can photograph and film only what your guide tell you so and memory cards are inspected when you leave the country. Sudan and Yemen are both very politically instable so everybody taking pics around is likely to be mistaken as a potential terrorist or spy.
Old April 27th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #168
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Abbazia (Opatija, Croatia) signed in Italy. Funnily enough, I'm not aware of any sign for Opatija in Slovenia.

http://goo.gl/maps/QCDCl
It's useless, Fiume/Rijeka would be enough. In Rijeka you find signs for Trieste, not Muggia or Sistiana.
And very few foreigners know that Abbazia is Opatja in Italian.
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #169
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

We've had this discussion before. Taking photos of registrations is one thing, but some people also type in registrations, which I think is wrong, as you make it Googlable.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #170
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Yes. It was put when the highway opened few years ago, I don't know if it's still there.
Found it on Street View: https://maps.google.fi/?ll=45.411188...20.59,,1,-1.81

Was it some kind of a joke?
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #171
Verso
Islander

No, it's a serious business.
Old April 28th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #172
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Found it on Street View: https://maps.google.fi/?ll=45.411188...20.59,,1,-1.81

Was it some kind of a joke?
Apparently it was installed by the municipality to show that Padova is in the centre of Europe and is closer to London, Berlin and Barcellona rather than Trapani (in Sicily). I don't know why they put also Beijng. However is a great bullshit to put a such useless sign on a highway.
Old April 28th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #173
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Apparently it was installed by the municipality to show that Padova is in the centre of Europe and is closer to London, Berlin and Barcellona rather than Trapani (in Sicily). I don't know why they put also Beijng. However is a great bullshit to put a such useless sign on a highway.
So the funny thing here is that Italy is (in European context) a rather large and long country. Ok.

Sweden could do the same. Malmö, for instance, is closer to Marseille than to Karesuando.

Quote:
However is a great bullshit to put a such useless sign on a highway.
Agree on that.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 02:21 AM   #174
italystf

Brennero - Malmo 1214km
http://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Bre...mra=ls&t=m&z=5
Brennero - Mazara del Vallo 1754km
http://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Bre...mra=ls&t=m&z=5

Courmayeur - Glasgow 1739km
http://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Cou...mra=ls&t=m&z=5
Courmayeur - Mazara del Vallo 1817km
http://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Cou...mra=ls&t=m&z=6

Trieste - Lvov 1137km
http://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Tri...mra=ls&t=m&z=6
Trieste - Mazara del Vallo 1707km
http://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Tri...mra=ls&t=m&z=6

Ventimiglia - Braga 1676km
http://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Ven...mra=ls&t=m&z=6
Ventimiglia - Mazara del Vallo 1694km
http://maps.google.it/maps?saddr=Ven...mra=ls&t=m&z=6

Verso liked this post
Old April 28th, 2013, 03:05 AM   #175
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I thing the city situated the best in Europe is Munich. everything is close there.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #176
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Even New York?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #177
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
So the funny thing here is that Italy is (in European context) a rather large and long country. Ok.

Sweden could do the same. Malmö, for instance, is closer to Marseille than to Karesuando.
Yes but Sweden has no such "feelgood" signs at all. Haparanda is first signposted north of Sundsvall.

Oslo used to be signed already along the E18 in Stockholm, but they removed the sign.

Copenhagen is reachable with the bridge, but the only sign of it is located a few km before the bridge.

Before putting up signs, have in mind where the motorists are going, how many people on the E4 in central Sweden are heading to Haparanda, Oslo or Copenhagen ? Signpost destinations within the range of 500km not more, that's my opinion.

A feelgood sign in Fredrikshavn, DK welcoming swedish motorists in the harbour. Now you can drive to Sicily without any bridges or ferries ! It's 2575km, but what the heck !!

Last edited by NordikNerd; April 28th, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #178
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
I thing the city situated the best in Europe is Munich. everything is close there.
It's also one of the few areas in Germany with substantial population growth. It is also one of the most affluent areas of Germany. I definitely wouldn't mind living there.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #179
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Yes but Sweden has no such "feelgood" signs at all. Haparanda is first signposted north of Sundsvall.
What is the longest distance signed in Sweden?

image hosted on flickr

foto 209 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #180
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Once using Street View I found a Haparanda 659 sign just North of Sundsvall.

EDIT: Here is it: https://maps.google.es/maps?ll=62.41...,66.8,,1,-4.28 But this is off-topic, there is no Russian cities there .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote