daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #21
cravendale

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Fire safety fears over £30m ‘blade’ student building

Published on Thursday 16 June 2011 12:16

SENIOR firefighters are holding talks with the developer of a new city landmark amid concerns over its safety.

Fire officials are worried that the new 330ft ‘blade’ building – accommodation for 600 University of Portsmouth students – will not have sprinklers.

They want the safety measures to be included in the £30m 33-storey building, which will be built on the site of the old Victoria Baths swimming centre. Adding a sprinkler system would cost up to an estimated £400,000.

In an official statement from the service, Deputy Chief Officer Dave Curry said: ‘We’re working with the building’s developer, Watkin-Jones and discussing the risk and safety issues of the proposed student accommodation at Victoria Park.

‘Clearly, as a potential future landmark building in Portsmouth, we would expect to see the very highest levels of safety to be included in the design.

‘We will ask the university and the developer to consider including sprinklers in the design to ensure the safety of the future occupants.

‘This and other fire safety provisions are especially relevant when we know that the future occupants will be students – a known high risk group.’

Under law, hotels and halls of residence are not required to have sprinklers. This is because they are managed buildings and must have additional safety measures such as strict evacuation procedures.

But a Portsmouth-based firefighter told The News: ‘Sprinkler systems can reduce some of the risks we face entering tall buildings.

‘They are there to help people inside the buildings, who could be seriously injured or killed by quickly spreading fire.

‘Sprinklers are a first defence against serious fires spreading. They should go back and add them to the plans.’

The Blade was given planning permission by Portsmouth City Council in April this year.

It had passed all building regulations.

University Vice Chancellor John Turner said: ‘The building will not be fitted with a sprinkler system.

‘Stringent evacuation procedures will be in place.

‘In the event of a fire an automatic alarm is triggered and on detection of a confirmed fire, there is immediate evacuation of the building to a place of safety.’

The university’s Students’ Union president Aakash Naik said: ‘New students are taught about fire risk, with a DVD issued when they arrive, so hopefully that will reduce risk.

‘Sprinklers would be sensible, but I’m sure the university won’t risk students’ safety.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/loc...ding_1_2779902
cravendale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #22
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

I don't understand why you're shaking your head. Fire prevention is an extremely important message and I think it's absolutely right to consider that students are a high risk group so every precaution should be taken. I'm all for tall building but as an ex-firefighter I can't stress enough the importance of prevention. What you don't want to do is wait until it's too late because there ain't no going back!
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #23
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

I'm always surprised at how stumpy the lipstick can look from certain aspects. I could do with being a view metres taller and having a couple more towers keeping it company :P
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #24
cravendale

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosnail View Post
I don't understand why you're shaking your head. Fire prevention is an extremely important message and I think it's absolutely right to consider that students are a high risk group so every precaution should be taken. I'm all for tall building but as an ex-firefighter I can't stress enough the importance of prevention. What you don't want to do is wait until it's too late because there ain't no going back!
Im shaking my head because i think it is nuts to build a structure of this type with the purpose of housing a high risk group of people (students) and not install sprinklers.
cravendale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #25
guyb121

Likes (Received): 6

Does anyone know when the expected completion for this tower is?? (I'm in warsash and am often in portsmouth or southampton so will enjoy watching it rise)!!!

(Also someone should probably create a wikipedia article on this!

Last edited by guyb121; June 18th, 2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: adding stuff (dont want to double post)
guyb121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #26
Lad 2011

Likes (Received): 1996

I've got a feeling this tower is going to be a let down, the cladding in reality is absolutely terrible, it definitely wont turn out like the render suggests imo.
Lad 2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #27
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2011

[IMG]http://i53.************/16898o1.jpg[/IMG]

Time to move it into the main Highrises forum?
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #28
Yorkshire Boy
─ ★★★★★ ─

Likes (Received): 604

Quality stuff, Portsmouth. It's great to see this get constructed so quick since approval! - doesn't happen that often. Shame it's not closer to Spinnaker/Gunwarf but I suppose that would render it too far from the university(?). I hope Portsmouth doesn't sell out in terms of quality (cladding, especially!), we all know how that turns out...

Anywho, good updates... keep em coming - I will be following this thread closely.

OH AND... someone should make a snazzy model for Google Earth, I love kinda working how U/C buildings will fit in!
Yorkshire Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #29
ВОДА
on the move

U/C

Bravos!
ВОДА no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #30
guyb121

Dropped by the site and decided to take some photos, Like the way they are going to have a notice board with "this week's activities" on it, its a good idea

Old July 20th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #31
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 88

Thanks for the pics guyb, its great to have some decent 'before' pics which we can compare with whats gonna be here in a year or two.

Doesn't look like there's a huge amount going on atm. Were they delivering those JCB's or taking them away?

A white board is an odd choice... I can see people rubbing things off is going to be a problem... surely the rain will just wash it off as well?
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #32
guyb121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey77 View Post
Thanks for the pics guyb, its great to have some decent 'before' pics which we can compare with whats gonna be here in a year or two.

Doesn't look like there's a huge amount going on atm. Were they delivering those JCB's or taking them away?

A white board is an odd choice... I can see people rubbing things off is going to be a problem... surely the rain will just wash it off as well?
JCB's: To be honest I'm not 100% sure, I think they were swapping one for the other (In the last pic the one on the trailer I think was going while the one on the ground was staying)

Whiteboard: Yes, that thought did cross my mind, all though the one that is rubbed off in the picture is because it has been done it was "remove waste material". Maybe they should put some kind of clear plastic coating on top of it to stop rain & vandals
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #33
SkyscraperSuperman

Likes (Received): 804

Very nice photos, thanks guyb.

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheTitanAtlas

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):
http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]
SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:35 AM   #34
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 105

Southampton is much better.
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:27 AM   #35
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

How exactly? If you like a soulless slough-on-sea type town then i suppose it is, but for anyone else, particularly fans of skyscrapers, Southampton comes a distant second.
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:37 AM   #36
guyb121

Quote:
How exactly? If you like a soulless slough-on-sea type town then i suppose it is, but for anyone else, particularly fans of skyscrapers, Southampton comes a distant second.
Defiantly Agree that Portsmouth is better, and I actually live closer to Southampton, my postcode is SO31 and even I think that Portsmouth beats Southampton hands down.
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:46 AM   #37
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

SO31... Locks Heath? Its the right side of the Hamble. I really wonder what Southampton has to offer, its shopping is currently the only thing which is better than Portsmouth's, but that's literally all it has, there's nothing else there.
Old July 21st, 2011, 02:34 AM   #38
guyb121

Quote:
SO31... Locks Heath? Its the right side of the Hamble. I really wonder what Southampton has to offer, its shopping is currently the only thing which is better than Portsmouth's, but that's literally all it has, there's nothing else there.
Warsash actually, Shopping maybe, but even there portsmouth is getting better.
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:00 PM   #39
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7196

Great stuff, good to see it's coming along.
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:55 PM   #40
timo
Weaste Infection

Likes (Received): 118

why are you arguing about which city is 'better' you ******* losers?

anyway, good to see some progress on this.
timo no está en línea   Reply With Quote