daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #41
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Fire officer says tower sprinklers will save lives
Published on Thursday 4 August 2011 16:19

A SENIOR fire officer says lives will be put in danger if sprinklers are not fitted to Portsmouth’s newest landmark building.

Hampshire’s firefighters say the refusal to install sprinklers in the ‘Blade’ building being built at Victoria Park, central Portsmouth, is of grave concern.

The county’s fire chiefs called an emergency meeting with the building’s developer and owner, Watkin Jones, held behind closed doors on Tuesday afternoon, in a last-ditch attempt to convince them to install the safety devices. But the firm is still refusing to follow the fire service’s requests.

The force’s deputy chief officer, Dave Curry, said: ‘We don’t believe this building should be built without sprinklers. It will put lives in danger, residents and firefighters alike.

‘We have recent experience of the loss of life which can be caused to fire officers dealing with fires in high-rise buildings.

‘Our aim is to make people’s lives safer and that includes our officers and residents. The company has refused to install sprinklers. We will continue to try to convince them it should not be without sprinklers.’

The 330ft, 33-storey ‘blade’ will be leased to Portsmouth University, as a students’ hall of residence.

It will house 600 students.

But the law says as a student hall, the £30m development is exempt from having to contain sprinklers, which would cost Watkin Jones up to an estimated £400,000 to install.

Mr Curry said: ‘When the fire safety regulations were first put in place, most student halls were halls in which people lived. People never envisaged these buildings as 33 storeys high, in city centres. A fire at 32 storeys would be very dangerous. Sprinklers are needed, as they would be for a block of flats, to reduce that. They help to contain fires, ensuring small ones stay small.’

He confirmed the building will be a central point of Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service and other brigades’ attempts to have the law changed.

He said: ‘We’ll lobby for the rules to be re-examined by chief fire officers, who can take it to the government.’

Ronnie King, vice chairman of the National Fire Sprinkler Network, said stronger measures could be taken. He said: ‘This is potentially horrific. It’s a major accident waiting to happen. A court of law should rule on whether sprinklers are needed here.’

But Watkin Jones said it complied with national fire regulations in its designs, which include fire-detection and alarm systems, and a fire-fighting staircase, lift, ventilated lobby and wet risers.

Project manager Paul Gillespie, said: ‘Our design meets all national requirements and standards.’

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/loc...ives_1_2932987
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #42
cravendale

Likes (Received): 0

Be careful Pompey77 posting a quote about this matter with only a 'shaking head' emoticon, otherwise people might misinterpret this as you are in some way happy the tower is not going to have a sprinkler system! lol
cravendale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #43
cravendale

Quote:
Portsmouth’s Blade Tower development will have sprinklers installed

The Blade Tower
By Rory O’Keeffe
Published on Monday 15 August 2011 12:38

AN iconic Portsmouth building will have sprinklers installed, after a meeting between Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service and the building’s owners, Watkin Jones.

The developer called for the meeting after The News reported the fire service’s fears the £30m, 330ft building would be more dangerous without the safety feature.

They believe firefighters and residents would be at greater risk of death or injury should a fire break out in a building without sprinklers.

The fire service’s area safety manager Mick Crennell said: ‘The developer called for the meeting, and it was very positive. They told us they wanted to install the sprinklers and we were very happy to agree to that.’

The 33-storey building, which is being built at Victoria Park, central Portsmouth, will house 600 students.

It will be owned by Watkin Jones, but the University of Portsmouth will nominate the students to live there.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/pol...lled_1_2966167
Good News for this tower and its future occupants!

Im hoping the Building Regulations will be updated after this farce. They were probably intended for house conversions for students to occupy, not a large scale development such as this.

Last edited by cravendale; August 15th, 2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: improve clarity of comment
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #44
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2001

Now this is over this thing can get back on track.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #45
Christius Alerius
gah!

Likes (Received): 15

Portsmouth has one of the best skylines in its size range
Christius Alerius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #46
Richard_A

Likes (Received): 8

Fantastic.
Richard_A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #47
SkyscraperSuperman

Likes (Received): 802

Doesn't seem like there's much going on at the moment, I'll have another look later today. Probably just starting to get back into construction after the sprinklers debate.

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheTitanAtlas

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):
http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]
SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #48
cravendale

any progress on this project?
Old September 28th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #49
SkyscraperSuperman

The site's been fairly quiet recently, but hopefully it's just the 'calm before the storm' as the University do want to get this ready for September 2013, I believe. I pass by the site every weekday on my way to lectures, so I'll keep you informed.

Follow me on Twitter:

Old October 1st, 2011, 08:57 PM   #50
cravendale

Thanks! I wont bother making a special trip down to check it out just yet then!
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:35 PM   #51
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 461

I think this is an ugly bastard, but then Portsmouth did build the most hideous shopping centre in the world in the late 60's only to have to demolished later so I guess this is a worthy successor.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #52
xMEGADOUGHNUTx
Which one am I?

HEY...

hey guys, im 13 and really really interested in portsmouth's development.
(kinda weird considering how old i am, no one else i know cares)

but anyway, im new to the site, so may i ask is there any other threads like this? but with maybe the building of portsmouth one

xMEGADOUGHNUTx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #53
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Hi there and welcome to the forums. There is a forum focused on projects in the UK, you might find more info there. Here's the link: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #54
cloud32

Likes (Received): 67

Wow, I'm surprised at the amount of highrises that have been built in Portsmouth over the last couple of years, the NIMBY population must be way below average in terms of the UK. This project is very encouraging and I love the design, it fits with the other taller buildings around well. My only concern is that it could seem quite bulky from some angles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
I think this is an ugly bastard, but then Portsmouth did build the most hideous shopping centre in the world in the late 60's only to have to demolished later so I guess this is a worthy successor.
I guess you mean the Tricorn Centre, I personally liked its sculptural qualities although I may have felt differently if I had to live near it or see it on a daily basis...

Last edited by cloud32; November 6th, 2011 at 01:36 AM.
cloud32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #55
cravendale

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMEGADOUGHNUTx View Post

but anyway, im new to the site, so may i ask is there any other threads like this? but with maybe the building of portsmouth one

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=346901

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1338552
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #56
SkyscraperSuperman

Still keeping an eye on this, I walk past it pretty much every day. There doesn't appear to be much going on at the moment, but I'll keep everyone informed!

Follow me on Twitter:

Old November 6th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #57
novaguy
novaguy

Likes (Received): 19

This project should be placed back into the proposed section,prep work has barely started.
novaguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #58
SkyscraperSuperman

Test piling has been completed - they might be taking it slowly at the moment, but this building's certainly more than proposed.

Follow me on Twitter:

Old November 6th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #59
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMEGADOUGHNUTx View Post

Welcome to the forums, good to have another Portsmouthian/Pompodian on the forum.

Check out any of the threads in my signature below;
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #60
xMEGADOUGHNUTx
Which one am I?

Quote:
Welcome to the forums, good to have another Portsmouthian/Pompodian on the forum.
Afraid not actually, im originally from leicester. however, i live in portsmouth and i support PFC
xMEGADOUGHNUTx no está en línea   Reply With Quote