daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #81
SkyscraperSuperman

Likes (Received): 802

Not yet, I was going to wait until there was demolition equipment on site so that the thread would have something to keep it going.

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheTitanAtlas

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):
http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]
SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #82
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Any photos?

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #83
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7150

Looking forward to this one.
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:27 PM   #84
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Doubts over Portsmouth’s Blade tower plan after developer quits

By Joe Nimmo
Published on Monday 19 March 2012 13:33

THE future of a landmark building planned for Portsmouth city centre is in doubt after the developer behind it pulled out.

The news means that the construction of the University of Portsmouth’s huge new hall of residence – dubbed the Blade tower because of its striking appearance – has been delayed.

The iconic structure will stand on the site of the former Victoria Baths and rise more than 300ft high above the city’s skyline. It was set to be finished next year in time for the start of the September term.

But the scheme has run into trouble after financial reasons led to construction firm Watkin Jones abandoning the project. The university told The News it was looking for a new developer but was not able to say how long the delay would last.

University Vice-Chancellor John Craven said: ‘Ongoing discussions mean the university is still unable to provide any specific additional information. It remains committed to the scheme both strategically and financially and hopes to be in a position to progress it shortly.’

MP for Portsmouth South and council cabinet member for planning, regeneration and economic development Mike Hancock said he was confident a replacement for Watkin Jones would be found.

He said: ‘It is an amazing development and when it is finally built it will be a major landmark in the city for generations to come.

‘And it will provide much-needed accommodation for thousands of students right in the heart of Portsmouth.

‘It is unfortunate the developer has pulled out for financial reasons, but I am sure the university is working very hard to find a new one.

‘They want this building built as much as we do and we will do everything we can to support them.’

The building was granted planning permission last year amid controversy over its height and modern design, but won the support of the Portsmouth Society and the Canon of St John’s Roman Catholic Cathedral David Hopgood.

Objections were raised by local residents and English Heritage, which said it believed the tower was ‘vastly too big’.

Conservative group spokeswoman for planning and regeneration, Cllr Donna Jones, said: ‘It is extremely disappointing news.

‘This is a vital corner of Portsmouth and as a university city with more than 17,000 students this is a hugely important project.’

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/pol...uits-1-3641734
Not good news. Suspect this happened some months ago.
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:41 PM   #85
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 461

Sounds like good news for Portsmouth - from the design it looks like a 3rd rate piece of junk which will date like hell a few years after it's built!
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:57 PM   #86
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Hmmmm after seeing pics of Portsmouth, I'm not so sure I like the recent developments. It looks like the architecture is almost forcing the city to try to go for a "beach city" feel, when in reality it is not even close.

This building is no exception, definitely a step backwards for Portsmouth.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:18 PM   #87
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
Hmmmm after seeing pics of Portsmouth, I'm not so sure I like the recent developments. It looks like the architecture is almost forcing the city to try to go for a "beach city" feel, when in reality it is not even close.
Portsmouth has a fantastic sea-side feel unlike any other I've experienced in the UK. It's seafront is more open than any other city I can think of in the world, one of my canadian lecturers brought that up originally and he's travelled all over. It's a fantastic place to be in the summer.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:49 PM   #88
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 88

Not sure i understand royal rose1's point at all tbh.
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:56 PM   #89
SkyscraperSuperman

Likes (Received): 802

Well, all we can do is wait and keep our fingers crossed. They seem confident that they'll find a new developer and I like the optimism, at least they're pressing ahead with the search for another developer rather than cancelling the project altogether. Hopefully the No. 1 Portsmouth hotel will begin during the summer so at least we'll have that to look forward to.

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheTitanAtlas

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):
http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]
SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:18 PM   #90
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
Portsmouth has a fantastic sea-side feel unlike any other I've experienced in the UK. It's seafront is more open than any other city I can think of in the world, one of my canadian lecturers brought that up originally and he's travelled all over. It's a fantastic place to be in the summer.
Essentially what I'm saying is that with Portsmouth's architecture you'd think you were entering a Miami, San Diego, or some similar beach city, when in reality you're entering a city more akin to Seattle or Boston.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:28 PM   #91
cloud32

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post

This building is no exception, definitely a step backwards for Portsmouth.
I disagree! Portsmouth is an amazing city! I am planning to go to University there. I chose the city because of the buzzing atmosphere of the area around Spinnaker Tower, and the fact that the waterways around the city are still jam packed with boats and ferrys which are just great to watch.

Shame about the project though, i hope they stick with a high rise design, or stick with this design full stop (although the cladding can be improved quite a bit).
cloud32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #92
xMEGADOUGHNUTx
Which one am I?

Likes (Received): 0

so just to make 100% they are no longer going to build this? i thought maybe after a year since the developer pulled out someone might have picked it up.
xMEGADOUGHNUTx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #93
guyb121

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMEGADOUGHNUTx View Post
so just to make 100% they are no longer going to build this? i thought maybe after a year since the developer pulled out someone might have picked it up.
I think that "The Blade" at least in it's current iteration is long gone unless the University decides to retender the construction contracts.

Maybe in the future if the economy starts to pick up again though there will be some fresh proposal's on what to do with a very centrally located empty patch of land that has got to be one of the few spots in Portsmouth that is not a park that is in a great location and doesn't already have something on it.
guyb121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #94
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Likes (Received): 4989

If they start to build it in 2011 as planned, I would maybe use that as future student of University of Portsmouth I hope that construction will start soon.

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.
Amrafel no está en línea   Reply With Quote